New Forestry 2.0 Farm Blocks aare a PITA

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I particularly like the feature of being able to hide the "alien monolith" underground without sinking the whole farm. :D

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I like about the multiblock farms: You can hide the alien monolith. build it so the top of the monolith is flush with the ground, and set up all of your chests, tubes, power, and etc is going into the top in the dead space in the middle.

ninja'd!

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I like about the multiblock farms: You can hide the alien monolith. build it so the top of the monolith is flush with the ground, and set up all of your chests, tubes, power, and etc is going into the top in the dead space in the middle.

ninja'd!

You are correct, for a single layer you can do that. It breaks down when you want multiple levels of farm stacked (minimize total chunks, but maximize gains). Perhaps splitting the difference and have 'thick' floors to cover the bottom. Would provide pipe space easily.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
You are correct, for a single layer you can do that. It breaks down when you want multiple levels of farm stacked (minimize total chunks, but maximize gains). Perhaps splitting the difference and have 'thick' floors to cover the bottom. Would provide pipe space easily.
It would also at least pay lip-service to realism if you built a supporting frame around the underside of each multi-farm. I have an irrational hatred of unexplained floaty things :-D

emmasteadman

Jul 29, 2019
TBH I don't mind the cost of making them....however I find them pointless and unreliable, since it's far easier, cheaper and more productive to use Steve's Carts/RailCraft farms.

chuiu

Jul 29, 2019
TBH I don't mind the cost of making them....however I find them pointless and unreliable, since it's far easier, cheaper and more productive to use Steve's Carts/RailCraft farms.
I suppose thats the downside of using a mod pack with multiple mods. Certain features of mods are always going to overshadow those of other mods. Stevecarts > Forestry farms, but at the same time Computer Craft turtles > Stevecarts. You could transmute metals with thaumcraft, but why waste the vis or fumble with the annoying crucible mechanics when you can use a minium stone (admittedly you cant get copper or tin with a minium stone).

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose thats the downside of using a mod pack with multiple mods. Certain features of mods are always going to overshadow those of other mods. Stevecarts > Forestry farms, but at the same time Computer Craft turtles > Stevecarts. You could transmute metals with thaumcraft, but why waste the vis or fumble with the annoying crucible mechanics when you can use a minium stone (admittedly you cant get copper or tin with a minium stone).

This is true to an extent, yet only really applies to habitual min/max styles, as Sengir aptly noted (or competitive environments). Eventually though, you may grow tired of the same old same old. It's happened to me from power flowers to solars to turtles to lava to whatever. I'll game the system for efficiency just because, and then find that I prefer style, exploration, and pacing for the next go. How fortunate that we can gorge at the mod buffet. There's really no reason to see anything about that as unfortunate.

james_joyce

Jul 29, 2019
I appreciate that the new farms may not be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you min/max and/or compare to a SC's tree farm.

the old farms... were incredibly OP, especially if their design flaw, which unintentionally allowed for stacking of several layers, was abused. Endless resources at the cost of cheap energy. The only reason you'd ever switch off one of the old farms was because you couldn't be bothered to deal with the deluge of resources they swamped you with. It just wasn't fun playing with them for me. I haven't built one of these things in a long, long time. I went out of my way not to build any in my legit worlds.

There's an inherent problem with the concept of "OP" in a sandbox game like Minecraft, since there are a lot of different ways and reasons to play it. What you consider OP will depend on what your reason is for playing - if you're playing to build complex systems of machines, then having a self-sustained energy supply isn't OP, it's in fact necessary. Now, a passive energy supply like IC2's solar panels may be unsatisfying for that purpose, but Forestry's old farms aren't like that.

For example with a peat farm, you can't just plop a peat bog and a turbary down and get infinite fuel. There's a whole piping and autocrafting network that has to go into it, and that takes some figuring out and a lot of setting up. It was about an evening of Minecraft for me, which is about all the time I get to play each week, to get my Peat bog set up, not counting using the output. Thermal expansion machines were feeding autocrafting benches which were looping buckets around Redpower pipes and filters, and when I was done it was very satisfying to see this complicated machine pumping stuff around and providing me with power that I had figured out how to put together. Yes, at that point I'm getting infinite power with no input, but that project is now done and I can move on, using the power from the peat farm to do other things, also involving looping stuff around complicated pathways.

Furthermore, the various Forestry farms feed into each other in subtle and satisfying ways - my next task was to make a wheat farm that not only fed me but went into a moistener to make mulch which would later make humus for my tree farm, which produced sand which I can send down to my peat farm, which allows me to remove the thermal expansion sand gen. This makes for even more satisfying shuttling around of resources through pipes and autocrafting tables, and makes me feel like I figured something out when I'm done. After I've set that up, I don't really _want_, as a builder, to have to feed it more resources - I'm done with it, and I'm not playing "feed the farm." I'm playing, "put together this complex system."

Forget any quibbles anyone might have with the new farms - after all, we have quibbles with how the old farms work as well - this aspect is what seems the most disappointing to me. If I'm not mistaken, they all take the same kind of fuel and they all input and output the same way. It's all the same block. It reduces the opportunity to recombine them in interesting ways, or make them interact with the various other mods in any given pack interestingly, which removes the possibility of emergent behavior. You've moved the complexity from the interaction between simple blocks to the complex UI of one block, and for a builder I suspect it doesn't feel as nice.

I'll play around with these some more and see if I change my mind. Whether they're square or cost more in copper are small details that aren't all that important, IMO. It's the fundamental principle they're based on that's important and that I find jarring here.

I am curious, if you're interested in responding, how you'd characterize your MC play style. It might inform us about your design reasoning here.

Reactions: Mero

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
I've been reading your posts Sengir, and you still haven't said anything about the shape. Would you consider creating an option for those who like the square shape?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
This... may not be the right game for you :p I found a floating clump of sand the other day.

So many tree balls burned. So many random bits of floating desert brought to ground level.

Strangely, the mountain bits don't bother me. Floating boulders with dirt and trees on them don't harm my suspension of disbelief the way building a castle on stilts then knocking out the stilts without the castle falling does.

nbc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure if all saplings get added to the dictionary, someone will figure out which tree (s) get the best sapling return to maximize biomass production.

Already done here :) and I think it's the redwood. Before realizing that extrabiomeXL sapling doesn't work in fermenter for the moment, I've tested a turtle farm and the redwood produce between 1 and 2 stacks of sappling per tree. For now I turn saplings in plantball (quite a loss) but as soon as sapling works, I should be able to produce something like 1024 buckets of biomass per hour. You only need bonemeal.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Already done here :) and I think it's the redwood. Before realizing that extrabiomeXL sapling doesn't work in fermenter for the moment, I've tested a turtle farm and the redwood produce between 1 and 2 stacks of sappling per tree. For now I turn saplings in plantball (quite a loss) but as soon as sapling works, I should be able to produce something like 1024 buckets of biomass per hour. You only need bonemeal.

Yeah for now it really is jungle wood. You can get the huge trees with a lot of leaves but if you looking at full automation taking the hit on plantballs redwood still probably wins out.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
What i dont like is that they look like a random blarg of stone bricks,it should have some sort of different hitbox, like an old block farm but big, like the iron tank that looks way better for example.

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
What i dont like is that they look like a random blarg of stone bricks,it should have some sort of different hitbox, like an old block farm but big, like the iron tank that looks way better for example.

The idea is that you can have farms with different base blocks instead of just one uniform look.

If you don't like the look, just use a texture pack for them.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, and soon EBXL saplings will be supported by the fermenter, so...yay! Now some of us will be able to make use of all of what we get, and hopefully if SC2 ends up supporting non-vanilla saplings I can get it running with an autumn tree themed setup.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The idea is that you can have farms with different base blocks instead of just one uniform look.

If you don't like the look, just use a texture pack for them.

but is just a cube of bricks with a stripe, how is that a farm? no offence, but yeah.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I've been reading your posts Sengir, and you still haven't said anything about the shape. Would you consider creating an option for those who like the square shape?

1000 times this. I really REALLY can't stand the shape for some wierd OCD-ish reason :) I like my minecraft world all blocky and square :)[DOUBLEPOST=1359723400][/DOUBLEPOST]
So many tree balls burned. So many random bits of floating desert brought to ground level.

Strangely, the mountain bits don't bother me. Floating boulders with dirt and trees on them don't harm my suspension of disbelief the way building a castle on stilts then knocking out the stilts without the castle falling does.

You're not alone. I have the same issue. I can't stand 'human made' structures that float in the air and if at all possible I'd remodel the landscape to remove the wordt offenders (like floating trees and stuff). I've even removed a very wierd natural overhang (big chunk of stone connected by a single strip of dirt).

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like this is done and already in the next version:
- Added: Config option to switch farms to using a square layout instead of a diamond shaped one. Server side config controls it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44760587/forestry/changelog/2.0.0.4

We might not see it in FTB for a week at the earliest.