Nether too hostile now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use the gold and redstone semi-secret ic2 recipe to get the 2 pieces of glowstone you need for the jetpack.

Edit - Also, thaumcraft has a flying harness as well.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
Before, you could run in and grab 4 glowstone dust quick and run out, to get yourself a jetpack.

If you're just looking for a little glowstone to get started, villages can also help. One of the mods adds a type of stone tower that uses a single block of glowstone to light it up. I admit that finding villages with this tower might be a pain in the bum, but it's much lower risk than an armour-less Nether run.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
This also makes the upper class armors actually meaningful instead of boring.

Agreed. I didn't used to bother with hardly any armor at all - just boots to prevent fall damage and an (Advanced) Electric Jetpack. Now, I have a good reason to upgrade all my armor, including the NanoChest with the integrated JetPack.

My first few times in the Nether in Unleashed were....brief, with most of them ending in a horrible death of some sort. My initial portal was in a horrible location, too. Out in the open surrounded by soul sand. Ugh.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Are the spiders still in, that explode into a good dozen minis of themselves? I nearly wet myself the first time I met those.. ;)

Reactions: RedBoss

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to be honest, I love how scary the nether is now. I genuinely scream every time a spider leaps on me and sets me ablaze. But early game your best friend is milk. It can be placed in the nether, puts you out and turns lava to obsidian. It's super useful because you can create these massive (terrifying) spawning pads and it mean that a lot of those scary mobs end up in one fixed place. Later game grab a Salamander's Eye and never be aflame again

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely love the Nether as it is now. I always thought the Nether was too safe before, and it bored me to tears. After all, it's basically the MC equivalent to Hell, it shouldn't be somewhere to take a peaceful stroll.

Reactions: RedBoss

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
fire resistance potion.
suitable enchanted armor.
lit-up cobblestone fort.
have a good bow with you.
Pretty much this. I like the nether now. It makes it so that you have to be geared up before going in to pillage the glowstone/lavalakes/quartz/blaze.

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I, too, love the nether now. I like having to look over my shoulders every few minutes. I will enchant diamond or obsidian armor with fire and blast resistance and equip myseft with a good TiC weapon. It's a great challenge now.

Reactions: Quesenek

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I generally hate the Nether anyway...but even I have to admit, the panic it can induce in Let's Players is priceless. :D I was recording when I went in for the first time in Unleashed--after about a half hour of rage and off-camera tunneling, I then found an area of solid ground, and that's where the panic set in. ("This place is freakin' me OUT, maaan!" xD )

For me, the biggest problem is the really bad portal spawning mechanics. I mean, how hard would it be to make sure the portal spawns in a decently open area? The last three (initial) Nether portals I've gotten have been literally on the EDGE of a massive cliff above the lava sea--not exactly a workable spot. :/

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure, but I think Oil can also be used as a water-replacement in the nether (in addition to the sacred springs water, which tends to be a bit harder to find).

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
yeah... first trip is pretty damn risky. even in nano its bad news. you definitely got to bring it and be on a purpose in the nether. Its alright though when you finally know whats coming.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I generally hate the Nether anyway...but even I have to admit, the panic it can induce in Let's Players is priceless. :D I was recording when I went in for the first time in Unleashed--after about a half hour of rage and off-camera tunneling, I then found an area of solid ground, and that's where the panic set in. ("This place is freakin' me OUT, maaan!" xD )

For me, the biggest problem is the really bad portal spawning mechanics. I mean, how hard would it be to make sure the portal spawns in a decently open area? The last three (initial) Nether portals I've gotten have been literally on the EDGE of a massive cliff above the lava sea--not exactly a workable spot. :/
The first time I went I spawned on an island surrounded by a lava lake. The second time I spawned in a cave with a ton of spiders lmao.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
hmm there's 2 sizes of heatscar spiders though. The big ones which seem at least as big as the overworld spiders, but the little buggers too which are fast and tough, and about half the size as the big ones.

That's disappointing, I wonder if he got rid of the giant 5x5 ones that spawned. They were quite fun to deal with.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Now we just need a rework to the end.
you know... thats a good point. I find the end useful as hell to farm pearls. and after you clear the dragon it is pretty lack of purposeness outside gregtech. Don't get me wrong... that first trip to the end is not easy and you gotta come packing too... as much as the nether. After wards it about as tame as daytime in the overworld. Not sure I want much done to the end...

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
For my taste it's a bit too hostile, but I'm not that great at fighting in MC (and I'll admit I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to MC). I do agree it's better that it's more hostile though, to me it makes sense the Nether should be a place where you want to get out of asap (in most cases).

Without mods the Nether is actually a quite safe place, I mean if you can run Ghasts will never hit you, pigmen don't do anything unless provoked and everything else dangerous you'll only come across if you search for them. In vanilla the biggest threat is your own carelessness with all that lava around you.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
What if after the ender dragon was killed a sort of chaos creeped out from where the dragon fell and eventually changed the biome, and built bridges to ender islands with fortresses and stuff, sorta like you just unlocked the next level type thing.