Nether changes... ridiculous!

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
well, blazes spawn wherever blaze spawner is, which indeed can only be found in fortress.
Minecraft Wiki said:
Blaze spawners can be found only in Nether Fortresses, and will start spawning Blazes once the player gets within 16 blocks. The spawners have a chance of spawning 1-4 Blazes at once. Blazes can only spawn in light level 11 or lower (at the lower half of their body). Blazes can also spawn naturally elsewhere in Nether Fortresses.
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Blaze

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
[Vanilla] blaze spawning only occurs in fortresses- literally inside the fortress tunnels only. (spawn area is a perfect map of the actual fort)
-camping a spawner with some fire-resist potions can net you a fair few rods.

Pre nether- thaumcraft desert flowers make blaze dust for some reason.

Nether ores were designed to be dangerous. Probably because they contain twice the normal ore- Risk Vs Reward ect...
if you personally mine an ore- all the pigmen will aggro.
if you're carrying an ore- theres a chance an individual will aggro.
they also can explode on impact; watch your step, and strip a seam fast if you're mining them.​

Pigmen? If you've gotten yourself killed 4 times you're doing it wrong. Change tactics and try again.
(knockback swords and jetpacks are useful, otherwise tower up so they cant get you- or soulsand to slow them down)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
In Monster 1.0.9, the pigmen aggro when you mine nether quartz. As soon as I noticed that, I simply went back to my base and disconnected, edited the config and restarted the server. Problem solved!

I'm pretty sure I could move around underground or build walls as needed, but I could see that getting old really fast. Completely over-the-top hassle just to get some nether quartz (or any other plain ore / resource for that matter), IMHO.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was common knowledge to use silk touch or auto smelt hammer or pick to mine nether ores...
Or wand/focus of equal trade,
Or an Atom Disassembler in vein mode

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was common knowledge to use silk touch or auto smelt hammer or pick to mine nether ores...
Or wand/focus of equal trade,
Or an Atom Disassembler in vein mode
I just turn on my MPS Mob Repulsor and mine away.

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
My first trips to the nether before I have MPS I dig 1x2 tunnel and branch mine it for quartz. It doesn't take long to come back with a stack of 64. Completed branches get sealed up with cobble. It rare that I see even a single pigman spawn inside a 1x2 tunnel. I also do not go before I have a silk touch pick to avoid the explosions.

Reactions: AlanEsh

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Another helpful hint for avoiding Pigman Aggro - although not as early-game as some of the other suggestions:

1. Start Thaumcraft 4.
2. Craft a nice wand, and charge it up off of some nodes.
3. Craft the Wand Focus of Equal Trade.
4. Shift-rightclick on cobble and bring a few stacks with you.

5. Profit. You can now "Mine" the Nether Ores with Equal Trade, and the Equal Trade effect bypasses both the Pigman trigger and the explosive trigger.
p8GG04W.gif

That being said, it's only a few nether quartz, and that's obtainable on the overworld due to dungeons.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
It doesn't make any sense.
1. Open a doorway to Hell.
2. Tiptoe between the zombies.
3. Avoid the firebats.
4. Pillar up to gather the glowing crystals on the roof.
5. Shoot down the giant crybaby heads and gather their tears.
6. Find a fortress and kill flying fire demons.
7. Dig up the rich seams of minerals that lace the fiery rocks of hell.
8. Get attacked by the denizens of hell for plundering their resources.

Of all this, number 8 is the one that "doesn't make any sense"?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Another helpful hint for avoiding Pigman Aggro - although not as early-game as some of the other suggestions:

1. Start Thaumcraft 4.
2. Craft a nice wand, and charge it up off of some nodes.
3. Craft the Wand Focus of Equal Trade.
4. Shift-rightclick on cobble and bring a few stacks with you.

5. Profit. You can now "Mine" the Nether Ores with Equal Trade, and the Equal Trade effect bypasses both the Pigman trigger and the explosive trigger.
pffft cobble
just use saplings, as they are transparent (which means you get the stuff behind where the cobble would've blocked), and you get them back immediately, unless there is a valid block, or it bugs out (usually does)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I'm glad I'm playing my own custom compilation and having DartCraft around.
Place down a time torch on stop mode. And it's hammer time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Odovbold and YX33A

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The reason it's ridiculous is that many other things are designed around the fact that nether quartz is easy to obtain.

It's completely fine for the other nether ores of course... those ones that nothing else relies on.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed. I turn off Pigmen Aggro on Nether Quartz. That's just too Evil, especially when you throw in other mods that also affect the Nether.
Luckily the latest Nether Ore version has a whole heap of config options now (those config things that most people ignore...)

I feel that Nether Quartz is just this junk material to Zombie Pigmen, they don't care about these strange creatures that are appearing and taking it all. Other ores, are a big no no, and make them rage.