need help writing Mystcraft Oil Age please

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
by any chance( I don't intend on derailing this thread anymore) will this solve this "[WARNING] [IC2] EnergyNet.removeTileEntity: appeng.me.tile.TileController@68415680 (appeng.me.tile.TileController@68415680) wasn't found (added), skipping" as well?
No, but that error shouldn't cause any problems anyway.

MIghtyBeholder82

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to derail the thread, I am loving Mystcraft, Or I was until the crash, I hope to keep playing with it! Sorry to interrrupt and thanks for the Help!

Reactions: Wagon153

MIghtyBeholder82

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for derailing the thread there, but I found a solution that worked. I renamed the old file and then created a new world with same name as the renamed save, and viola!! it worked like a charm. Now I can get back to Playing with Mystcraft!! Thank you all so very much.

I Believe to get an orange sky you put in:

red
yellow
sky color

it should mix the red and yellow into, reddish yellow, or yellowish red also know as orange. At least according to the wikki

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Which ones are the "terrain modifiers"? Perhaps this is my problem? Is it the caves/ravines/dungeons pages? It obviously must be those ones... the ones I haven't been using. LOL Don't let anyone ever tell you the Mystcraft mod is "intuitive". :)

Yes it is, you HAVE TO ADD PAGES FOR EVERYTHING or it will generate randomly, hence you're probably getting nether fortresses, spheres and tendrils... Those terrain/structure modifiers are underground so won't interfere.

If you leave a page out it won't just ignore that aspect of world gen it'll put in stuff... If you get that point and the fact that you put the modifier before the thing being modified then mystcraft is easy.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Back to the OP: try
ocean biome
single biome
oil block
standard terrain (or flat or cave world)

This should give you an infinite ocean of oil, along with enough instability to make things "interesting".

No worries on the derail, guys. It's all good.

And Mac, anything you recommend is good enough for me. :) I will give that one a go. I had an incorrect impression of oceans made from fluids other than water, a server I used to play on had a mining world with oceans of black ink but if you scooped it with a bucket, you actually got a bucket of water... so silly me, I assumed all fluids did this. LOL So... how much you wanna bet my first try results in oceans of flaming oil? :D

Yes it is, you HAVE TO ADD PAGES FOR EVERYTHING or it will generate randomly, hence you're probably getting nether fortresses, spheres and tendrils... Those terrain/structure modifiers are underground so won't interfere.

If you leave a page out it won't just ignore that aspect of world gen it'll put in stuff... If you get that point and the fact that you put the modifier before the thing being modified then mystcraft is easy.

Yes indeed, I was getting Nether Fortresses right on the surface and I also got these weird columns of ice blocks spaced every so often. So yep, that was the final piece of the puzzle, from here on out its more like 'fun experimenting' instead of 'confused fumbling'. :) Thanks everybody!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like cheating tho
Instability is there for a reason. Disabling instability? No thank you.

In fact, in the newest versions, you can disable the writing desk, and still play meaningfully. There's a good reason for that -- I requested it, because even the writing desk makes abusing the mod too easy for me.

The writing desk's primary function is to make lots of copies of pages. So if you find a rare, valuable page, you can make tons of cheap copies of a world description, go in and grab a few valuable items, and get out. In general, very very easily.

Once you can't make lots of copies, you have to think before you make a mineral rich world -- and probably don't want to.

Making interesting worlds with strange terrain? Sure.
Making rich worlds to rob? Cheap. Too cheap.

If instability is a problem, you aren't doing a good enough job of abusing things. Hint: 3 charged, spontaneous explosions (just one, it won't do enough to hurt you -- but you must have linking books on hand, your at-spawn return book will not survive unless you are outside of the initial chunks), perhaps cave world with meteors (they are up there, you are down below), mushroom island, scorched surface (especially with cave world -- make it three times), etc -- you can safely remove the instability from one dense ores without any trouble when you have all the symbols.

Not to mention diamond tendrils (more unstable than dense ores), or iron tendrils (more valuable, as far as I'm concerned, and much cheaper), etc.

Looking forward to a future version where instability is revised ...
http://binarymage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2292

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in Monster pack, I dunno what version of Mystcraft it is.

Here's what I did so far, it gave me ocean oil geysers however there's nothing below the water surface - there's no land, it's just all water down to bedrock. I don't see any oil below the surface, just water.

Sounds like you got island world, actually.
Void would not have any ocean. All the others generate some land.
Is there a "mid-sized" island around the start, about half the size of The End?

As mentioned: "stone, water, standard terrain" or the game will select a ground, liquid, and landscape type for you.

Also, on one attempt, I got Ocean Oil Fields, except for some reason the entire ocean was frozen - obviously not ideal. How can I prevent frozen oceans, is that part of the instability thing?

Was it just the surface frozen, or was the ocean ice?

Ice is a block that can make oceans.
If you have constant snow, it will treat the world as a frozen biome, and the top layer of water will be ice.

Specify normal weather. Specify that you want water as the ocean type.