Necessities for every mod pack (almost)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
List your favorite mods that can make just about any theme or style of modpack better. This thread would be useful for anyone that wants to start a private, personal, or public pack. This isn't just for me but for everyone to use so don't be embarrassed to post even if it hasn't been active for a while. Be active and friendly.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well your title and your first post contradict what you're asking. I take it you mean our own personal necessities, not the absolute necessities for a mod pack (as Loufmier answered).

For me I'm tiered but with 1.7.10 it's changed a LOT, for me Ender IO has moved to the top of my own personal ladder from being in a mediocre position in 1.6.4. Mekanism too is high on my list but some people aren't going to like what Aidan did in the re-balancing between MC 1.6 and 1.7.

Much the same way AE changed in 1.7.10 that has now moved from "meh not fussed" to No2 with the new complexity and the removal of "AE everything" easily model that was in 1.6.

Those 3 above are my necessities.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
For me the necessities are:

Clientsided mods that I add, no matter the modpack on the server I am connecting to:
bspkrs hud thingies for showing status and armor. a minimap - zans preferentially. If I can find it, damange indicators or something to show mob health. Craftguide to show recipes (Doesn't need to be installed on the server).

If I am setting up a server I add the following server sided mods (don't need to be in the client pack) that add content: Roguelike dungeons, Ruins.

"Big" mods I like to add to any pack are Twilight forest, Archimedes ships, mystcraft.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Well your title and your first post contradict what you're asking. I take it you mean our own personal necessities, not the absolute necessities for a mod pack (as Loufmier answered).

For me I'm tiered but with 1.7.10 it's changed a LOT, for me Ender IO has moved to the top of my own personal ladder from being in a mediocre position in 1.6.4. Mekanism too is high on my list but some people aren't going to like what Aidan did in the re-balancing between MC 1.6 and 1.7.

Much the same way AE changed in 1.7.10 that has now moved from "meh not fussed" to No2 with the new complexity and the removal of "AE everything" easily model that was in 1.6.

Those 3 above are my necessities.
Nice, people actually understand what my thread is about. But my favorite mods to add are TE and Hunger Overhaul + Pam's. I think having HO is a good way to balance the op of some machines and I like making all the different foods

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
NEI
Applied Energetics
Something for flying and fast movement
Something to automate farming/forestring

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Hunger Overhaul, Iguana's Tweaks (Vanilla and TiCon) and EnviroMine are the three mods I add to EVERY pack I play, it's just not fun without it.

Reactions: Eyamaz

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
While making the pack and adding mods, openeye is the best. The crash reports there tell you the likely cause so you know who to report the bug to. A little bit of reading will also tell you whether or not the error was actually on your side rather than the mod's.

Scott DTA

Jul 29, 2019
Any mods that add cross mod integration. Like JAMI and some of the Thaumcraft addons that add support for other magic mods.

Mods like that just make any mod pack feel more like a unified experience instead of just a random assortment of mods.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Any mods that add cross mod integration. Like JAMI and some of the Thaumcraft addons that add support for other magic mods.

Mods like that just make any mod pack feel more like a unified experience instead of just a random assortment of mods.
that's mainly ore dictionary for recipes and even some metallurgy add ons from other mods to get molten forms of everything in tcon or other mods and I never use thaumcraft without thaumic tinkerers

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
AE and Reika's mods. Luckily, both are now available for 1.7.10(Although, Reika's mods are literally fresh out of the oven for 1.7 so are obviously filled with bugs.)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
OpenEye. OpenEye should defintely be a must for modpacks. It really helps get out crash reports, even if there isn't much detail about them. I've honestly narrowed down a few bugs using crash reports from OpenEye alone, because, let's be honest, nobody reports their crashes unless it breaks their game.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
OpenEye. OpenEye should defintely be a must for modpacks. It really helps get out crash reports, even if there isn't much detail about them. I've honestly narrowed down a few bugs using crash reports from OpenEye alone, because, let's be honest, nobody reports their crashes unless it breaks their game.
\o/
Agreed!

HeWhoGameZ

Jul 29, 2019
One edit to my previous post. NEI, for recipes of course, Iron Chests, because vanilla chests are too small, TiCon, because it adds an easily automated system of doubling ores and adds super powerful modular tools, and Inventory Tweaks, because it helps my inventory keep it's sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk