Necessities for every mod pack (almost)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Well, NEI, NEI Plugins, WAILA, Fastcraft (for 1.7.10 annyway) and Mapwriter (minemap disabled) are the the supportive "Must haves" for me.

Then there is Thermal Expansion (+ Foundation + Ducts) and Thaumcraft as the main content mods. They feel balanced, look good, add a bunch of content and are a great stepping stone for other mods. Like: Enhanced portals/Big Reactors/Redstone Arsenal/Applied energistics/Advanced generators (Wich in turn enabled Buildcraft and Railcraft)/Thaumic Tinkerer/Thaumic Exploration/Thaumic Reliquary.

Then there is Chisel for costmetic blocks and Enhanced Portals because Nether Portals are an annoyance to deal with and lets not forget Tinkers Construct because vanilla enchanting is "meh" (1.8 fixes that though and will probably lead to me dropping TiC).

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I've been getting into thaumcraft and think it would fit into lots of packs with any magic aspect

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've been getting into thaumcraft and think it would fit into lots of packs with any magic aspect

I'm a bit mixed about this, while Thaumcraft is a great and fun mod, I would get kind of tired of playing with it if I'd come across it in basically every modpack
it's good to not use a mod once in a while that you've been continuously using, it gives you the opportunity to really try the other mods aswell

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I look at mods by what they provide me. I have several criteria that I look at when deciding on mods. Having said that, here's some of the mods I never want to make a pack without:

1) Tinker's Construct. Honestly, this should be the new vanilla tool mechanic. Iguana Tweaks had its uses as well, I liked the idea of replacing tool parts so you don't have a dozen outdated and mostly worthless tools hanging around.
2) AE2. This falls under the heading of 'inventory management'. It's not as LOLPWN as it used to be, but it is still enormously useful. Just cheat in the presses.
3) Mekanism. This is my to-go for tech mod. The energy rebalance is still a WIP so it's not too useful now, but you can still use it quite efficiently. And hey, up to a 5x ore processing, with a delightfully involved and complex process.
4) Thermal Foundation. Note I said foundation not expansion. This, and CoFH Core and Libs, is a great way for a mod pack dev to custom oregen. It's my personal opinion that if you think machines are not expensive enough, the solution is to tweak oregen to be a bit more rare rather than use minetweaker to make the recipes more expensive. Mind you, thermal expansion is still a great mod, but it isn't at the top of the list any more.
5) Blood Magic and Botania. These are my to-go mods for magic. Even without certain... synergies... these are great magic mods because they don't automate very easily. It really gives you a feel of incompatibility between tech and magic that I quite approve of.
6) Pam's Harvestcraft. While I wasn't originally a big fan, with the new worldgen using gardens rather than umpteen bazillion seeds out of grass, I've found that I have become quite enamoured of this mod. It gives you something to eat other than baked potatoes, and re-introduces food as a complex task. Goes well with a nice Chianti and Hunger Overhaul.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Say what?

*rushes to download for my 1.7 instance*
There are various types of gardens, and will drop what you'd expect from that type. For example, mushroom gardens will typically drop types of fungi, you can expect to find pumpkins from gourd gardens, berry gardens would have various bush-type berries found within... it's actually quite clever. They do seem to be at least partially biome-dependent, and there's still the issue with trees, although you can make fruit tree saplings with the appropriate fruit and vanilla sapling. Recipes are in NEI.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Mega tanks are provided using a wide variety of other mods, including OpenBlocks, Mekanism, ExtraUtils, Mariculture, and others. Honestly, the only thing I'd ever use from Railcraft are... well... the rails themselves.
Yes, but Railcraft was probably the first.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Mega tanks are provided using a wide variety of other mods, including OpenBlocks, Mekanism, ExtraUtils, Mariculture, and others.
Eh. I, probably like @Mysticmage11, like the RC tanks best out of all the other options, at least the ones I've tried (Dynamic Tanks look pretty neat). I don't really use OpenBlocks, Mekanism, or any of the mods you listed :p

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Eh. I, probably like @Mysticmage11, like the RC tanks best out of all the other options, at least the ones I've tried (Dynamic Tanks look pretty neat). I don't really use OpenBlocks, Mekanism, or any of the mods you listed :p
Whereas I don't use BC or Railcraft anymore. Honestly, I'm a bigger fan of the storage tanks from TE, but that's a personal preference.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Whereas I don't use BC or Railcraft anymore. Honestly, I'm a bigger fan of the storage tanks from TE, but that's a personal preference.
I've been playing Buildcraft and Railcraft since they came out, and have never gotten bored of them. Whereas Mekanism I got bored of within the first world I used it on (1.5.2), and still haven't been able to get back into it very much.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've been playing Buildcraft and Railcraft since they came out, and have never gotten bored of them. Whereas Mekanism I got bored of within the first world I used it on (1.5.2), and still haven't been able to get back into it very much.
I also played with BC and RC since they came out. BC was amazing when it first came out, but... it is showing its age. Ducts are strictly superior to pipes. BC Tanks are one of the least useful ways to store liquids. I found I was never really using anything from BC any longer, so I removed it... and never really looked back since.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
These are my Top 10 favourite mods that I reckon add something important to modpacks:
  • NEI (of course)
  • Tinker's Construct (awesome weaponry and the ability to have self-repairing tools)
  • Openblocks (too much good stuff to say something specific)
  • Thermal Expansion and MFR (can't live without the conveyors and aqueous accumulator stuff)
  • Buildcraft (the pipes)
  • Railcraft (steam boilers)
  • Forestry (to make my biofuel factories and automatic farms)
  • Applied Energistics (for storage reasons)
  • SecretRooms (stealthy base entrances and camo chests, doors, levers etc)
  • Pam's Harvestcraft (all the FREAKIN' EPIC FOOD)
Other stuff that didn't make the Top 10, but are still great:
  • IndustrialCraft2
  • Biomes O' Plenty
  • Natura
  • Bibliocraft
  • Redpower

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. OpenBlocks Tanks lag, i dislike XU drums, and I've never used Mariculture or Mekanism.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
And Buildcraft came before them and had multiblock stackable tanks. Your point?
In my opinion those weren't really multiblocks. They were tanks that could store small amounts of fluid, and if another tank was below it, it would empty its contents into said tanks. Railcraft Tanks, on the other hand, range from 3x3x4 to 7x7x9 ( I think ), and form into a large structure with different textures. It stores very large amounts of fluid (I have a 5million mb mobessence tank) and can have several input and output slots.

Long story short, BC Tanks aren't really a multiblock. They're small liquid storage units that can interact with each other, nothing more.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In my opinion those weren't really multiblocks. They were tanks that could store small amounts of fluid, and if another tank was below it, it would empty its contents into said tanks. Railcraft Tanks, on the other hand, range from 3x3x4 to 7x7x9 ( I think ), and form into a large structure with different textures. It stores very large amounts of fluid (I have a 5million mb mobessence tank) and can have several input and output slots.

Long story short, BC Tanks aren't really a multiblock. They're small liquid storage units that can interact with each other, nothing more.
The definition of a multiblock tank is 'a bunch of small liquid storage units that can interact with each other'. Nothing more. Oh, and connected textures, don't forget about those. And it doesn't work at all if even one is missing. So really, strictly inferior. Even without considering the costs and infrastructure required.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
BC was amazing when it first came out
Oh yes it was, and combined with IC1... :eek:
Ducts are strictly superior to pipes.
I've played with them once, and found that they're a little too simple to set up for my tastes. Though, I don't usually use any pipes, and if I do, it's very short distance (maximum 12 blocks), and I use BC ones. Anything longer than that I use carts for.
BC Tanks are one of the least useful ways to store liquids
Yup. I remember when I got back into modded Minecraft in 1.4.7, and I set up my fuel processing system... I couldn't even see the top OR bottoms of my tanks from the surface. It was absurd. And not absurd in the good way...
I found I was never really using anything from BC any longer, so I removed it... and never really looked back since.
Fair enough. That's your decision, and I respect it. But, I'll keep my BC :)
Indeed. OpenBlocks Tanks lag, i dislike XU drums, and I've never used Mariculture or Mekanism.
I've never experienced any lag with OB tanks. Though, I can imagine where it would come from (dynamically slowly increasing the visual). If this really is a problem, you should let Mikee or one of the other OpenMods guys know.
XU drums seem cool, but eh, too boring and little.
I've never used Mariculture since I heard about the lag it caused with worldgen.
I mostly stopped using Mekanism after 1.5.2. I just got bored of it, tbh.

Yes they are. Boring multi-blocks, sure, but they are multiblocks. You seem to be forgetting that all of the liquid goes immediately to the bottom of the tank, and they all have one collective inventory (if stacked).