Necessities for every mod pack (almost)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh yes it was, and combined with IC1... :eek:
Well yea. IC1 had the tools and ore processing, BC had all the automation. It was a match made in heaven!

I've played with them once, and found that they're a little too simple to set up for my tastes. Though, I don't usually use any pipes, and if I do, it's very short distance (maximum 12 blocks), and I use BC ones. Anything longer than that I use carts for.
I prefer ducts to pipes, simply because they are better in terms of calculation cycles and, in my personal preference, more aesthetically pleasing.

Yup. I remember when I got back into modded Minecraft in 1.4.7, and I set up my fuel processing system... I couldn't even see the top OR bottoms of my tanks from the surface. It was absurd. And not absurd in the good way...
Which addon had the balance pipe that would try to keep both tanks equally filled? It was one of the extra pipes addons before they all got consolidated.

Fair enough. That's your decision, and I respect it. But, I'll keep my BC :)
And you are welcome to it.

I've never experienced any lag with OB tanks. Though, I can imagine where it would come from (dynamically slowly increasing the visual). If this really is a problem, you should let Mikee or one of the other OpenMods guys know.
XU drums seem cool, but eh, too boring and little.
I've never used Mariculture since I heard about the lag it caused with worldgen.
I mostly stopped using Mekanism after 1.5.2. I just got bored of it, tbh.
Honestly, you should give Mekanism another go. It's gone through quite a few changes, hardly even the same mod anymore. It's about as big a change from what you remember as AE and AE2. Hydrogen Generators are a thing of the past, and there's a multi-step process for creating Ethylene that can either be used as a fuel, fertilizer, or to make plastic. Might be worth another look.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get OB tank lag even on my crappy laptop it doesn't seem to cause problems I've build 9x9x6 as my largest in survival and no problem and found a few issues when I tested a 16x16x16 one in creative(though the lag is probably due to my lava set up with ex ni crucible and autonomous activators so yeah

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There are various types of gardens, and will drop what you'd expect from that type. For example, mushroom gardens will typically drop types of fungi, you can expect to find pumpkins from gourd gardens, berry gardens would have various bush-type berries found within... it's actually quite clever. They do seem to be at least partially biome-dependent, and there's still the issue with trees, although you can make fruit tree saplings with the appropriate fruit and vanilla sapling. Recipes are in NEI.

if only harvestcraft would also feature a breeding system where you can crossbreed seeds to get new type of seeds :(

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Which addon had the balance pipe that would try to keep both tanks equally filled? It was one of the extra pipes addons before they all got consolidated.
Additional BuildCraft Objects
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Balancing_Fluid_Pipe
Honestly, you should give Mekanism another go. It's gone through quite a few changes, hardly even the same mod anymore. It's about as big a change from what you remember as AE and AE2. Hydrogen Generators are a thing of the past, and there's a multi-step process for creating Ethylene that can either be used as a fuel, fertilizer, or to make plastic. Might be worth another look.
I may come back to it in the future. I'm currently having a lot of fun playing with Flaxbeard's Steam Power Mod, and will be using Rotarycraft again once it updates. I think those are my two favorite tech mods.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
I may come back to it in the future. I'm currently having a lot of fun playing with Flaxbeard's Steam Power Mod, and will be using Rotarycraft again once it updates. I think those are my two favorite tech mods.

I don't blame you for getting rid of Mekanism in 1.5.2, considering it was probably one of the most unstable mods available at the time. Even I deleted Mekanism on my test server until 1.6.4 when v6 came out :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
NEI, Tinker's Construct.

Inventory Tweaks: Try playing vanilla for 30 minutes and you'll be crying for it.

Carpenter's blocks & Chisel: I try not to depend on the too much but in some cases theyre indispensable. If nothing else, the ability to use vertical slabs is amazing. I mean seriously, with all the additions to vanilla, where the hell are the vertical slabs?!? They make adding depth SO much more compact.

Extra Utilities: For one item. The Builder's Wand. Especially when test building in creative mode.

EnderTech: RF item exchanger. Its the tech version of the Equal Trade Focus. Though the focus is a LOT cheaper and available earlier in the game.

EnderIO: I LOVE this mod. Especially in 1.7. Its well designed, properly expensed, and has a low system overhead. My fps crumbles once I start building TE machines. I have not a hiccup in fps with a full EnderIO machine room and multiple farms running.

Mekanism: I love it. I'll be waiting on tweaks since its kinda unusable with the hydrogen changes but thats my go-to mod when I'm feeling techy.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I don't blame you for getting rid of Mekanism in 1.5.2, considering it was probably one of the most unstable mods available at the time. Even I deleted Mekanism on my test server until 1.6.4 when v6 came out :)
It was unstable in 1.5.2? Huh. That wasn't why I got rid of it after my 1.5.2 world. As I said, I just got burned out of it. I played Mekanism so heavily for so long that I just can't see myself doing it again for a while.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
NEI, Tinker's Construct.

Inventory Tweaks: Try playing vanilla for 30 minutes and you'll be crying for it.

Carpenter's blocks & Chisel: I try not to depend on the too much but in some cases theyre indispensable. If nothing else, the ability to use vertical slabs is amazing. I mean seriously, with all the additions to vanilla, where the hell are the vertical slabs?!? They make adding depth SO much more compact.

Extra Utilities: For one item. The Builder's Wand. Especially when test building in creative mode.

EnderTech: RF item exchanger. Its the tech version of the Equal Trade Focus. Though the focus is a LOT cheaper and available earlier in the game.

EnderIO: I LOVE this mod. Especially in 1.7. Its well designed, properly expensed, and has a low system overhead. My fps crumbles once I start building TE machines. I have not a hiccup in fps with a full EnderIO machine room and multiple farms running.

Mekanism: I love it. I'll be waiting on tweaks since its kinda unusable with the hydrogen changes but thats my go-to mod when I'm feeling techy.
All these mods are great and all pretty much tech focused and can really help with almost any pack, I personally got into enderIO not that long ago and am starting to love it despite my previous thought of confusingness but I was just stupid with tech when I was first introduced

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I always add Forestry, Buildcraft, Railcraft, Mekanism, AE, IronChest, ExtraUtils and Tinkers Construct. I just cant play without these mods. :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
AE, TE, Thaumcraft, MFR and NEI. Everything else is either a minor addition or something that runs off of RF. Mekanism is great though, probably wont be playing without it ever again. Tinker's construct I only use because the Hammer and Excavator tools have spoiled me. If another mod offered similar tools I could finally just drop it altogether. Thaumcraft almost does.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
AE, TE, Thaumcraft, MFR and NEI. Everything else is either a minor addition or something that runs off of RF. Mekanism is great though, probably wont be playing without it ever again. Tinker's construct I only use because the Hammer and Excavator tools have spoiled me. If another mod offered similar tools I could finally just drop it altogether. Thaumcraft almost does.
Going through Thaumcraft research in every mod pack? Meh.

Reactions: RedBoss

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities.
very widely compatible with tech and even a little magic I think it is great with openblocks because they are both musc mods and thermal expansion because of the generators that are still balanced pretty well

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
XU drums look horribly out of place in minecraft, much like bibliocraft lamps. I never use them. Railcraft tanks distort the texture of the liquid inside, and BC tanks dont have enough capacity. Which leaves me with open blocks and TE portable tanks.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Well I do single player and use the cheat thauminomicon. Thaumcraft is the best mod ever but only without research.

I can see this as being an option once you have done the version's research. I forced myself to do the 4.1 research first, then in subsequent worlds, I use the cheaty book :)

Reactions: buggirlexpres

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
XU drums look horribly out of place in minecraft, much like bibliocraft lamps. I never use them. Railcraft tanks distort the texture of the liquid inside, and BC tanks dont have enough capacity. Which leaves me with open blocks and TE portable tanks.
I play on a crappy laptop and have never gotten OB tank lag I have built 9x9x9 tanks and filled them up with various liquids I just don't get the lag that everyone complains about and TE portables are really useful for small storage or buffer tanks so I use those alot

Reactions: pizzawolf14

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a crappy laptop and have never gotten OB tank lag I have built 9x9x9 tanks and filled them up with various liquids I just don't get the lag that everyone complains about and TE portables are really useful for small storage or buffer tanks so I use those alot
I too play on a crappy laptop and never encountered the lag. I ran tanks instead of fluiducts for a while to try to get the lag but still got nothing. Maybe it specifically targets better computers :p

Reactions: jdog1408

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I too play on a crappy laptop and never encountered the lag. I ran tanks instead of fluiducts for a while to try to get the lag but still got nothing. Maybe it specifically targets better computers :p
first off: Page 3 YAY, but it may be a configuration that people like us turn off like smooth lighting or fancy graphics so I ain't mad about my situation because at least I can play

Reactions: pizzawolf14