Mystcraft Book Writing Guide 1.4.7 ONLY

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think about the new Mystcraft Writing System?

• Love It!

Votes: 71 30.3%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • Like it.

Votes: 50 21.4%
  • Don't Like It.

Votes: 44 18.8%
  • Meh. (Indifferent)

Votes: 38 16.2%

• Total voters

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, and again, welcome to the Aperture Science Mystcraft Book Writing Guide.
Today we will explore numerous features of the mod "Mystcraft" for the game "Minecraft" in detail.
This mod is very dangerous. To keep you calm in the face of almost certain death, we will deploy smooth jazz in 3... 2... 1... *Smooth Jazz*
Part 1: Preparing to Prepare to Create an Age
To get started, you will first need to craft two all-important "blocks" to use. These are the "Writing Desk" and the "Book Binder." Place these down.

Next, you must craft a "Notebook." On the side of the Writing Desk, you will see numerous symbols, each with a "slot" to put notebooks in. Place the notebook in one of these "slots," and click the symbol. You will, at first see nothing. This will change soon. Find your way to a village and find a villager that looks like this:
eY1VbV9.png

When you right click on this villager, their trades should be [Insert Amount Here] Emeralds for a Mystcraft page. Every time you "trade" a page, exit the villager inventory and go back in after a few seconds, and the villager will have a different page to trade. You may also get pages by finding Forbidden Libraries in Ages. Now that you have these pages, come back to your "Mystcraft" base. Click the page and click on the black area to the right of your "Notebook." You should see a page there. As you accumulate pages, you will be able to create more and more ages. Before you create a new "Age," you must copy your pages to a new notebook. This will be detailed next.

Part 2: Preparing to Create an Age
Before you create your "Age," you must copy pages from one "Notebook" to the next. On the right "Inventory" of you "Writing Desk," you should see 4 slots. The first and most important item is a new Notebook. Put this "Notebook" in the bottom left corner of the right inventory of the Writing Desk, like so:
HySOpFs.png

In the top left corner of the right side of the screen, place paper. In the slot with the left facing arrow, place an "Ink Vial," crafted shapelessly with a "Water Bottle" and two "Ink Sacs," in case "NEI" places many other ink-like objects in place of the two ink sacs. In order to copy *Pages,* right click on the "Pages" on the left side of the screen and they will immediately be copied to your "Notebook." You should see them in the grey area of the right side of your screen. Copy all your desired pages. Creating an age will be detailed shortly.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Part 3: Creating an Age, part I
Finally, we get to create an age. This is the most dangerous part of the test. Now that we have copied the desired pages onto our "Notebook," we need to organize them in such a manner that they form a "Stable" age. "Instability" can occur when books are not created in the right manner. The order of your "Pages" is the most important. To rearrange these pages, open up your notebook by right clicking while holding it and follow the patterns detailed in the next part.

Reactions: Bigpak

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Part 4: Creating an Age, part II: Arrangement of Pages
We will now detail arrangements of pages and which arrangements are mandatory. Leaving empty slots between arrangements is not necessary, but helps with organization.
Biome Arrangement (Mandatory): Any "Biome" page, Biome Modifier (Pick One): Tiny Biomes, Tiled Biomes, Small Biomes, Single Biome, Large Biomes, or Huge Biomes.
Terrain Generation (Mandatory): Terrain Modifer Page (Pick One): Standard Terrain Generation, Flat, Void, End World, or Cave World.
Sun and Moon (Mandatory): Sun Position (Mandatory if you have Zero Length): Noon, Rising, or Setting. Length of Sun (Mandatory): Full Length, Half Length, Zero Length. Sun/Dark Sun (Mandatory) (Dark Sun means it is there giving light, but will not be shown. Moon Position (Mandatory if you have Zero Length): Rising, Setting. Moon Length (Mandatory): Full Length, Half Length, Zero Length. Moon/Dark Moon (Necessary) (Dark Moon means that it is there, but will not be shown. Nice if you have eternal day [Noon, Zero Length, Sun] ages.
Stars (Mandatory if you have a Moon at night): Normal or Dark Stars (Dark Stars means that they are there, but not shown.
Weather (Mandatory, Pick One and One Only): Normal Weather, Fast Weather, Slow Weather, Eternal Weather, or Eternal Rain/Snow/Storm.
Lighting (Mandatory, Pick One and One Only): Standard Lighting, Bright, or Dark.
All that was mandatory.
Optional:
You may add modifiers to Terrain Modifiers that replace key blocks with other blocks. Before your Terrain Modifier, place a Block and/or Liquid modifier. Block Modifiers could be any block that has a page. The Block Modifiers will replace all dirt and stone. Liquid Modifiers will replace any liquid with either Water or Lava, depending on what you put as the modifier.
You may add extra generation objects, for example, Tendrils (In this order: Block Modifier, Tendrils), Strongholds, Mineshafts, Villages, etc.
You may add Instability Symbols.
You may add Sky and/or Fog Colors, in this order: Any Color, Sky Color/Fog Color page.
Clear Modifiers: This is very helpful, and essential once you have this page. If you have it, by all means place it at the end of your books. This will clear any unnecessary modifiers, like when you put the wrong modifier in an arrangement.

Now that you have arranged your pages, open up your book binder and place Leather in the left slot. Left click on the grey area with your notebook to paste your symbols. Voila! You now have a new age. Before you go to your age, you must make sure that you have a Linking Book with you to get back to your world. Place the Descriptive Book on a Lectern or Bookstand, right click on the Book, and click the black area. You will be instantly transported to your age. Have fun in your new age! Types of Instability will be detailed in the next full part.

Part 4 1/2: Sample Age Arrangements!
Leaving Empty slots between arrangements (My rows) is not necessary, but help with organization.
Overworld Age:
Native Biome Controller (Creates Biomes just like the Overworld)
Standard Terrain Generation
Full Length, Normal Sun
Full Length, Normal Moon
Normal Stars
Normal Weather
Standard Lighting
Strongholds
Mineshafts
Dungeons
Villages
Blue, Sky Color
Blue, Fog Color

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Part 5: Instability Symbols
Now, badly written ages do not come without a price, and this price is Instability, the most dangerous part of Mystcraft. Types of Instability will be detailed now.
Blindness
Confusion (Nausea)
Crumble: Dirt breaks into sand, ores turn to stone, stone becomes gravel, etc. The age will gradually become a wasteland.
Black Decay: Generates Black Blocks spread outward, eating the blocks on top of them and cause them to fall into the void like sand. Given enough time, your world will disappear completely.
Red, Blue, and Purple Decay: Will turn the world into the decay block.
White Decay: Will turn the world into the decay block. Does damage to any mob that moves at all on it. Standing Still is fine. Spreads too fast to stop.
Enemy Regeneration: Enemies will regenerate health like players will full hunger do.
Erosion: Same as Crumble, but only happens around liquids.
Explosions: Spontaneous Explosions will happen frequently and randomly throughout the age. Does not break Obsidian or IC2 Reinforced Stone/Glass.
Fatigue (Extra hunger loss when mining)
Hunger
Lightning: Frequent, Random, Spontaneous Lightning Strikes.
Meteors: Large Meteors will frequently fall from the sky, creating massive explosions and fires, but will also drop ores. Could be worth the risk!
Poisoned Surface: Exactly what it says.
Scorched: Any mob, including the player, will catch fire when exposed to the sky.
Slowness
Weakness: Less Melee power.
Thank you for participating in the Aperture Science Mystcraft Program. Have happy age making, and remember: Ages are the future, and the future starts with you.

Reactions: Bigpak and Zengrath

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
So guys, give me some feedback! Did you like my guide? What is your opinion on the Aperture Science Style guide? Any details I may have missed? This was a very fun guide to make, took a long time, but was worth it, don't get me wrong. There are so many people who have gotten frustrated with the new Mystcraft mechanic! The wiki for Mystcraft doesn't really have enough! That is why I set out making this guide. It is also secretly an application to help create the Feed the Beast Wiki. How do you like my secret application, Jaded? If she ever ends up looking at this. Anyway guys, thanks for reading!

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Cool! We needed this!
Think you could put some more screens on the creation of ages?
I also heard there was a bug with SSP in FTB, do you have any insight on that?Uh oh, did I post too early? Want me to delete that post up there?

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Cool! We needed this!
Think you could put some more screens on the creation of ages?
I also heard there was a bug with SSP in FTB, do you have any insight on that?

More screens? I thought that was more than enough. All the other slot things are self explanatory.
Bug with Mystcraft SSP? I didn't hear anything about that. Tell me about it.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
What post?;)
In part 4, I'd love to see some screens :p
And maybe make a "sample" age or two to get people started, maybe one that's exactly like the overworld, and another eternal day void age (two most common, it seems like).

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
One that is exactly like the overworld? How? I would have to put every single biome. Every single biome. And a bunch of other crazy stuff.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the guide I'm sure many will love it.

But your poll asks me what I think of the new system. Which is Meh.

I love the idea of findind pages but i HATE the idea of tieing that to villagers. I think is a poor idea it does not stop power grinding in any way a full set of symbols if done right can be collected in little to no time. I would have liked to see a much better way then just breeding villagers and exploiting their trade system. It is only slightly harder then the old way of just mass creating books.

As with all exploties this is optional of course. But it underlines something worng. The player then does this honestly is in for a long and gruling ride to try and collect all the pages with no other system then hunting down all the villages he can find and then slowly trading with the 1 village that offers pages. Or lucking out via random loot as they can be found in chests. Both not a good reliable system meaning many will fall back on the breeder system instead to fill in there symbols.

I can only hope they come up with some other system allowing for an honest way to collect these systems that is not maddingly random and also not trivly easy to get around.

But that just my point of view. And sence you added a poll at the top I figure I would express it.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the Villager never ever ever runs out of trades. From what I have heard, Minecraft code states a top number of trades a villager can have. In order to get around this, XCompWiz deletes page trades after they are used, therefore allowing for infinite page trades.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the Villager never ever ever runs out of trades. From what I have heard, Minecraft code states a top number of trades a villager can have. In order to get around this, XCompWiz deletes page trades after they are used, therefore allowing for infinite page trades.

Oh great it is even worse then. Since you can just trade with that one guy forever it is even easyer then the old system have having to build a reed farm and cow farm.

Good to know.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, Emeralds are rare. And hard to get through trades.

No they are not. Any village will usely have one or two guys willing to take something you can collect in or around the village to get emeralds.

And if you cant find any cheap trades then you can breed them until you have easy trades.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! Guess you are right. The max is 64 emeralds, so I guess it is really easy. Maybe XCompWiz will look at this thread and see our complaints. Small chance, but a man can dream!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
just becuae I wanted to prove a point to some freinds I used a breeder and reed farm to get so many emeralds I build a tower out of them.

It is fairly easy to get a stack of two from a large village with out even exploiting the system.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Nice! Maybe I will add "Easy Ways to Get Emeralds" to my guide!

Well I would suggest checking the villagers frist normaly there is one or two they ill take wheat to wood for emeralds in a good size village.

But if you want to exloit the system you build a village breeder and just look for the guys that take any farmable item for emlards most libraians take paper or books so they are fairly easy. And with an unlimited stream of villagers coming out of your breeder you can focus on what ever works for you.