Mystcraft Book Writing Guide 1.4.7 ONLY

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think about the new Mystcraft Writing System?

• Love It!

Votes: 71 30.3%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • Like it.

Votes: 50 21.4%
  • Don't Like It.

Votes: 44 18.8%
  • Meh. (Indifferent)

Votes: 38 16.2%

• Total voters

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
You have it backwards. Full Length comes before the sun and moon, not after.
Make it like this: Biome, Biome Controller, Terrain Gen, Length, Celestial Body, Length, other celestial body, Stars, Weather, Lighting, Clear Mods.
EDIT: This should guarantee you get the age you want.

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
You have it backwards. Full Length comes before the sun and moon, not after.
Make it like this: Biome, Biome Controller, Terrain Gen, Length, Celestial Body, Length, other celestial body, Stars, Weather, Lighting, Clear Mods.
EDIT: This should guarantee you get the age you want.
Didn't work :\ Got another checkerboard age with snow.
Extreme Hills Biome
Single Biome
Standard Terrain Gen
Full Length
Normal Sun
Full Length
Normal Moon
Dark Stars
No Weather
Standard Lighting
Clear Modifiers

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. Are you doing it in SMP? Because if you are doing it in Ultimate SMP, there is a bug in which Mystcraft Ages cannot be written.

Reactions: CrazyCoco

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. Are you doing it in SMP? Because if you are doing it in Ultimate SMP, there is a bug in which Mystcraft Ages cannot be written.
No, I'm doing it in my FTB singleplayer world. I don't know why it wont work. I appreciate your help though :)

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't work :\ Got another checkerboard age with snow.
Extreme Hills Biome
Single Biome
Standard Terrain Gen
Full Length
Normal Sun
Full Length
Normal Moon
Dark Stars
No Weather
Standard Lighting
Clear Modifiers

Try removing the Full Lengths, they should be redundant. Maybe try putting the "Single Biome" page first. I have a similar age and it works nicely. (Just Dark instead of Standard lighting, only version of the page I had.)

I posted a copy of what that age is in my checklist post in the thread. (I did add a few extras to my book, like dungeons, netherack tubes, and a few other weird things, but the age is stable.)

IMarv

Reactions: CrazyCoco

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
Try removing the Full Lengths, they should be redundant. Maybe try putting the "Single Biome" page first. I have a similar age and it works nicely. (Just Dark instead of Standard lighting, only version of the page I had.)

I posted a copy of what that age is in my checklist post in the thread. (I did add a few extras to my book, like dungeons, netherack tubes, and a few other weird things, but the age is stable.)

IMarv
Just tried it - it gave me an End World junglehills age.
Single Biome
Plains Biome
Normal Sun
Normal Moon
Dark Stars
Standard Lighting
No Weather
Standard Terrain
Clear Modifiers

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Delete Myst and add it in again, I have heard of this bug with Mystcraft but have not encountered it yet. A new version of Ultimate should be released soon with bugfixes.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
I love the idea of findind pages but i HATE the idea of tieing that to villagers.

I agreed, until I read this tip that saved my MystCraft career; I wish I could credit the pro who gave me this knowledge, but I can't recall (it was on these forums though):
  1. Create random Ages until you find one that's just stable enough to survive in and move around. Grabbing just a few pages from Villagers can help; plug in the "mandatory' ones you can, then cross your fingers. You might need a few tries (my first dozen or so were all Void ages, I was convinced it was a bug).
    1. If you can, make it "Flat". Otherwise, try to use Biome pages that are typically flat and free of trees (like Plains, Desert, Ice Plains, etc.). This isn't necessary for your first try though, but I put it here in case you're able to do it --- it'll make the next part easier.
  2. When you get a tolerable Age, walk (though flying is far better) in a circle around Spawn, keeping around 400m away from 0,0, until you find a LIBRARY. They look like square temples made entirely of cobblestone, and are easily visible on the Minimap (look for big grey squares). Inside each Library is a king's bounty of MystCraft pages, all just sitting there for the taking. You'll find ...
    1. Five Lecterns, some of which will be displaying pages. Grab those.
    2. A hidden Chest underneath one of the Bookshelves in the corners; break the corner Bookshelves until you find it. Inside this Chest are many more pages (up to eight!), and rarely a Notebook full of even more pages.
  3. Depending on how tolerable your Age is, you can keep searching for more Libraries, or you can return to the Overworld and create a new Age to continue pillaging Libraries, one that's hopefully a bit more stable (and/or flatter) now that you have a bigger collection of pages.
After using the above strategy, I went from "MystCraft sucks and I hate it and I've done everything in the damn game except it" to having nearly a full library of pages in only a few "expeditions". It works really well -- just be advised it can be tricky to find Libraries with the Minimap in heavily forested Ages (my first attempt landed me in a Jungle age, so I bamfed out and created a new one as soon as I found my first Library).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
[*]When you get a tolerable Age, walk (though flying is far better) in a circle around Spawn, keeping around 400m away from 0,0, until you find a LIBRARY. They look like square temples made entirely of cobblestone, and are easily visible on the Minimap (look for big grey squares). Inside each Library is a king's bounty of MystCraft pages, all just sitting there for the taking.
I don't thing that flying around in a circle is any more effective than just going in a straight line. It's less far to go back to the starting point I suppose, but that's what Portal Guns were invented for! Personally I just fly out in one direction, move sideways a bit, and then fly back. Repeat for a different direction until I'm bored of the age or have enough pages to make something better, flatter, and with fewer trees. Single biome plains is ideal. Savanna or fir/redwood biomes are no good as the trees look just like libraries on the minimap and maximap. And I strip the leaves off every silverwood I come across.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Say, how harmful are Mystcraft worlds?

One world makes SSP lag and often crash on my meh laptop and two or three is guaranteed trouble. A 28-slot Creeperhost server is able to handle significantly more worlds. We have about 20 total (seven or so matter) and nothing has melted yet, but I'm having trouble getting the features I want and I am worried too many attempts will bring down the server.

How many is too many?

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Say, how harmful are Mystcraft worlds?

One world makes SSP lag and often crash on my meh laptop and two or three is guaranteed trouble. A 28-slot Creeperhost server is able to handle significantly more worlds. We have about 20 total (seven or so matter) and nothing has melted yet, but I'm having trouble getting the features I want and I am worried too many attempts will bring down the server.

How many is too many?
Talk with the server admin he should be pruning unused mystcraft worlds. As far as resources, as long as the worlds are not chunkloaded, they should only be taking up hard drive space

Zyre36

Jul 29, 2019
Part 5: Instability Symbols
Now, badly written ages do not come without a price, and this price is Instability, the most dangerous part of Mystcraft. Types of Instability will be detailed now.
Blindness
Confusion (Nausea)
Crumble: Dirt breaks into sand, ores turn to stone, stone becomes gravel, etc. The age will gradually become a wasteland.
Black Decay: Generates Black Blocks spread outward, eating the blocks on top of them and cause them to fall into the void like sand. Given enough time, your world will disappear completely.
Red, Blue, and Purple Decay: Will turn the world into the decay block.
White Decay: Will turn the world into the decay block. Does damage to any mob that moves at all on it. Standing Still is fine. Spreads too fast to stop.
Enemy Regeneration: Enemies will regenerate health like players will full hunger do.
Erosion: Same as Crumble, but only happens around liquids.
Explosions: Spontaneous Explosions will happen frequently and randomly throughout the age. Does not break Obsidian or IC2 Reinforced Stone/Glass.
Fatigue (Extra hunger loss when mining)
Hunger
Lightning: Frequent, Random, Spontaneous Lightning Strikes.
Meteors: Large Meteors will frequently fall from the sky, creating massive explosions and fires, but will also drop ores. Could be worth the risk!
Poisoned Surface: Exactly what it says.
Scorched: Any mob, including the player, will catch fire when exposed to the sky.
Slowness
Weakness: Less Melee power.
Thank you for participating in the Aperture Science Mystcraft Program. Have happy age making, and remember: Ages are the future, and the future starts with you.
I found a way to counter the effects of white decay...You open a butload of dimensional rifts, which will eat the white decay at a higher tickrate than white decay spreads

Zyre36

Jul 29, 2019
to destroy a Vista 64x Graphics card, use a creative notebook when scribing the descriptive book and then use above method

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Oh Goodness, I just got 2 likes here in 30 seconds. 2 likes somewhere else in the same 30 seconds. And then one like somewhere else in the same 30 seconds. What is this, some kind of gangup?

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
I've made the following :
Mountain Ridge Biome, Meadow Biome, Autumn Woods, Ocean Biome,
Oil, Standard Terrain Generation,
Noon, Double Length, Blue, Sun, Clear Modifiers
Rising, Half Length, Red, south, west, Moon, Clear Modifiers
white, cyan, Normal Stars, Clear Modifiers
No Weather, Clear Modifiers
Standard Lighting,
Green, Sunset Color,
Yellow, Sky Color,
red, yellow, Fog Color,
green, Cloud Color, Clear Modifiers

My goal was a fancy age with lots of oil which i could pump up and use as fuel for my machines, (i use teh direwolf20's modpack) (i know there are better fuelsources, but i just like oil.....) but this age is very instable and i can't figure out why.. is it becouse of the oil, or did i misplaced something??

Phantom27

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't affect the stability of the age, but you also don't need the Clear Modifiers page multiple times I think. Just once at the very end should be enough.

I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect the Oil page has some inherent instability, so if you're still getting instability after you add a biome controller, you could try and add a 'bad' page, such as Charged, Meteors etc. That should negate the instability to some extent, although you'll have to be more careful while in the age.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I've made the following :
Mountain Ridge Biome, Meadow Biome, Autumn Woods, Ocean Biome,
Oil, Standard Terrain Generation,
Noon, Double Length, Blue, Sun, Clear Modifiers
Rising, Half Length, Red, south, west, Moon, Clear Modifiers
white, cyan, Normal Stars, Clear Modifiers
No Weather, Clear Modifiers
Standard Lighting,
Green, Sunset Color,
Yellow, Sky Color,
red, yellow, Fog Color,
green, Cloud Color, Clear Modifiers

My goal was a fancy age with lots of oil which i could pump up and use as fuel for my machines, (i use teh direwolf20's modpack) (i know there are better fuelsources, but i just like oil.....) but this age is very instable and i can't figure out why.. is it becouse of the oil, or did i misplaced something??
You forgot the Biome Controller.
And the Oil Page does have instability, sadly.

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
Srry, i forgot the small biome here. I didn't forget it in the game, i did however forget here. Just imagine a 'small biome' at the end of the first line. I tried adding 'charged', but then the world exploded (i think, i was blinded and sufferd from major lag), i tried aigain, but there was no oil,instead there was water and after about half a minute the world exploded again.... But can i make a perfect (simple) stable age with oil? And if yes, how? I like the concept of mystcraft a lot, but i'm getting freaking annoyed by being blown up almost every time...