My Resonant Rise Let's Play (Resonant Rise Modpack)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the energy-positive "electrolyze water -> burn hydrogen" loop bugs me... It just can't be positive...

Why not? Water is infinite, torches burn forever, matter generates spontaneously, and items can exhibit magical properties by being imprinted by the memories of living things. Minecraft's world is not our world. Conservation of matter and energy aren't just wrong in the Minecraft world, they're absurd concepts.

And I heard that Mekanism has INSANELY overpowered conversion ratios for EU and MJ. Did you fix it somehow?

For MJ the default is not outrageous. My current setup barely produces 1mj/t. I quartered it for joules to EU. It's still probably too good. Honestly what I may do is disable the EU output entirely by setting that factor to 0. Gregtech machines now directly consume UE energy, so why even bother with the EU output?

But yeah the solar outputs are pretty damn insane.

But also, RR is not a BDSM gregtech pack. Everhting but the quarry and tools are in easy mode, and steel is smeltable in a furnace. Ars Magica also provides nearly boundless resources. So. RR is a "big build" pack, not a "challenge" pack the way I'd classify Mindcrack.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that it's not a BDSM pack, but some balance should be. Someone mentioned that one hydrogen reactor produces 400 Eu/t - that's just insane, even quartered. But, If you disable Eu output, that would solve the problem ^_^
And what is the ratio for MJ?

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Why not? Water is infinite, torches burn forever, matter generates spontaneously, and items can exhibit magical properties by being imprinted by the memories of living things. Minecraft's world is not our world. Conservation of matter and energy aren't just wrong in the Minecraft world, they're absurd concepts.
Well, it seems like UE stuff is pretending to be somewhat realistic. I know, that that generator is supposed to work like that, but it still bugs me... I think that mod author just chose the wrong concept from real world...

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that it's not a BDSM pack, but some balance should be. Someone mentioned that one hydrogen reactor produces 400 Eu/t - that's just insane, even quartered. But, If you disable Eu output, that would solve the problem ^_^
And what is the ratio for MJ?
I think, if memory serves (I haven't used it yet) that 10J is one Minecraft-J (MJ). I really hate that shortened name...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I think, if memory serves (I haven't used it yet) that 10J is one Minecraft-J (MJ). I really hate that shortened name...

From our Mekanism.cfg:
Code:
    D:EUToJoules=0.05
    B:EnableSounds=true
    B:ExtrasEnabled=true
    I:JoulesToEU=20
    I:JoulesToMJ=25
    B:LogPackets=false
    D:MJToJoules=0.04

In terms of game balance, once we can get the UEEU conversion problem worked out it'll be apretty good situation. The existing mod batteries outperform the Energy Cube in capacity and max output per tick, but the Energy Cube is universal.

Really right now what's most broken is that Greg is adhering to the 40:1 ratio, which means that coal power plants are mighty strong. That said, I could see that being an acceptable balance point given how obnoxious UE coal power is. :)

But folks, infinite energy is freakin' trivial in RR. What's more challenging is large sums of energy at once. If you ever want to run a particle accelerator or kickstart a GT fusion or make UU matter, you're going to need either a massive replication of these cheap methods or to build a bigger single-shot power plant. And then once you have it, you need to move it. You can use an energy tesseract for this, but doing so without significantly limiting output flow of power involves multiple transitions and at least one significant energy tax and probably two.

Note that right now you can just conjure metals with automated magical systems. I knew that when I build RR; I was totally unsurprised that we could conjure up silver in infinite quantities. I am unafraid of this brave new world because (let's be super clear here): nothing in minecraft has real value except for the builds we make. If you make a ramshakle house that can produce infinite gold? Big deal. If you make an exquisite base with ornate mahogany and gold paneling and microblock detail with intelligent lighting and an elegantly decorated hydrogen power core? That's a big deal.

A mystcraft age with diamond ore tendrils? No big deal. A beautiful spire and archway of diamonds housing a mage's enclave, spell creation room, and thaumcraft room laden with traps and aggressive golems? Big deal.

I expect people to build hydrogen plants, farm-driven mekanism power plants, farm-driven MFR power plants, and nuclear/fusion plants sooner than later. Because you almost always can replicate cheap solutions but the balance of UE is such that you will find that far less fun than making one epic power plant. Nuclear, be it IC2 or UE, is just not that expensive to build and the correct builds can field like a megawatt of power (the build I saw for this is risky, though). Fusion reactors can peak at absurdly high values as well.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. Now I'm a bit confused.

for example, hydrogen generator produces 20 KWt. Is it actually 20 KJ/second or it is 20 KJ/tick? But even with 20 KJ/second that would mean 40 MJ/t, right?

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
From our Mekanism.cfg:
In terms of game balance, once we can get the UEEU conversion problem worked out it'll be apretty good situation. The existing mod batteries outperform the Energy Cube in capacity and max output per tick, but the Energy Cube is universal.

Really right now what's most broken is that Greg is adhering to the 40:1 ratio, which means that coal power plants are mighty strong. That said, I could see that being an acceptable balance point given how obnoxious UE coal power is. :)

But folks, infinite energy is freakin' trivial in RR. What's more challenging is large sums of energy at once. If you ever want to run a particle accelerator or kickstart a GT fusion or make UU matter, you're going to need either a massive replication of these cheap methods or to build a bigger single-shot power plant. And then once you have it, you need to move it. You can use an energy tesseract for this, but doing so without significantly limiting output flow of power involves multiple transitions and at least one significant energy tax and probably two.

I expect people to build hydrogen plants, farm-driven mekanism power plants, farm-driven MFR power plants, and nuclear/fusion plants sooner than later. Because you almost always can replicate cheap solutions but the balance of UE is such that you will find that far less fun than making one epic power plant.

Nuclear, be it IC2 or UE, is just not that expensive to build.
Let's see ^_^
And is Hydrogen plant is more a mid-game solution? I was thinking of it as some sort of early-game, not sure why. Anyways, I like to see that UE is becoming more... useful outside of Ampz/Voltz packs. And it might be less fun to replicate hydrogen generators or solars, but people who get used to IC2 may use tons'o'solars just because they are solars... Meh.

Also, You have ICBM in the modpack. Is there are any uses of it rather than just blowing each other up?

Oh. Now I see the point you have there. And it's actually pretty nice. I like it. I've never been such an masochistic guy to use "ONLY HARD GT! NERF EVERYTHING, and so on". The balance I'm talking about is more like to keep some sanity - just not having 100 Eu/t early generators ore something like that. And I like Dimension Doors dungeons even though they are overpowered ^_^

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
If gravity is not absolute in this game then any approach to balanc,e outside of adhering to your game style, is flawed. Its also subjective

But building something epic and amazing from cubes is in itself amazing. That is a great and achievable goal.

Reactions: KirinDave

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Let's see ^_^
And is Hydrogen plant is more a mid-game solution? I was thinking of it as some sort of early-game, not sure why. Anyways, I like to see that UE is becoming more... useful outside of Ampz/Voltz packs. And it might be less fun to replicate hydrogen generators or solars, but people who get used to IC2 may use tons'o'solars just because they are solars... Meh.

You can do it early game if you spike it. But you can do a lot of things early game if you spike it.

Also, You have ICBM in the modpack. Is there are any uses of it rather than just blowing each other up?

Traps and tricks are "fun". I will probably be rendering some rooms of my house "off limits without permission" in such a way that they are fatal. I have ways of doing this that are not just, "hold this mffs card", which is effective and sorta cool but rather bland.

But ICBM sentry is a pretty amusing way to deal with monster spawns. Also: I have no problem with people making a base self-destruct that is wired to an antimatter bomb. In fact, I like that idea. I have a funny idea for this in a future build.[DOUBLEPOST=1367866496][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh. Now I'm a bit confused.

for example, hydrogen generator produces 20 KWt. Is it actually 20 KJ/second or it is 20 KJ/tick? But even with 20 KJ/second that would mean 40 MJ/t, right?

It's a little annoying. Wattage is supposed to mean "per second" and most of UE adheres to this, so divide values by 20. But Mekanism explicitly doesn't do this.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know that watts are per second, I'm just... still confused. So, Mekanism watts mean "per tick" while other mods' watts mean "per second"?

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Got it. In UE wiki there are actual watts (no information on Atomic Science, however) Maybe Mekanism shows something else in-game, but in the Wiki there are watts.

Also, I kinda like watt as a power unit since there are no real need to measure output per tick like other mods do And it's somehow connected to real-word power ^_^'

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Ohnu! No moar Metallurgy? All my hopes and dreams, gone! Jk. What is the nature of the world breakage by BoP? How does it go down? I may be able to help.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. Goodness! I thought it just like, permacrashed the world or something. Or World ID mismatches. Or biome changing brokenness. This is different. I guess I can't help.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, one more question: no EE3? It's very useful if you have Dimensional Doors installed, you know... Doors are quite pearl-hungry.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, one more question: no EE3? It's very useful if you have Dimensional Doors installed, you know... Doors are quite pearl-hungry.

As ApSciMorgs said. Although we could live without it. There are other ways to get pearls...

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Lemme guess... Via Ars magicka? :3

Also, you told that you have no problem with people who self-destruct their bases with an Anti-Matter explosives, but what about people who do that to your base? It might turn to the point when the best base would be a pocket dimension network with well-hidden entrance door...

And I'm sorry for asing it here, but you seem to bee the person who works with UE more than other people... I explored Calclavia's forum a bit and... Is Atomic Science even alive? Bug section seems a bit abandoned, MC forum thread is not very alive too...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Lemme guess... Via Ars magicka? :3

Also, you told that you have no problem with people who self-destruct their bases with an Anti-Matter explosives, but what about people who do that to your base? It might turn to the point when the best base would be a pocket dimension network with well-hidden entrance door...

And I'm sorry for asing it here, but you seem to bee the person who works with UE more than other people... I explored Calclavia's forum a bit and... Is Atomic Science even alive? Bug section seems a bit abandoned, MC forum thread is not very alive too...

Honestly? I dunno! Mekanism can stand on its own, it seems. And worst comes to worst, we just do gt easy mode. Which is too bad ebcause the atomic science stuff is so dang fun!