Morph - Flight seems a bit op..

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I hope you don't mind me asking but, what do you mean with adding another dimension to the game?
Exactly that, a mechanic whereby you build up mob abilities such as flying and underwater movement. Maybe as simple as kill more mobs to get a permanent or temporary bonus, or some way of spending XP to improve abilities. Maybe wearing a mob head could boost mob abilities. You know, just more stuff to do. More game to play.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Having more stuff to do or more game to "play" doesn't necessarily = fun. I'm not referring to myself, I'm just saying.

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly that, a mechanic whereby you build up mob abilities such as flying and underwater movement. Maybe as simple as kill more mobs to get a permanent or temporary bonus, or some way of spending XP to improve abilities. Maybe wearing a mob head could boost mob abilities. You know, just more stuff to do. More game to play.
I have to admit I do like the current simplicity of the mod and would like to keep it. But I can see your point. I see that some progression could be nice. I especially like the mob head idea. To continue on this path it could also be some balance you can not be a mob with all it's abilities in full quantum armour (at least not the helmet).

StarbugStone

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, I realy like morph and I think the idea is realy cool. But I do agree that just klling a mob then getting fire resistance and flight (Blaze) is a low risk huge reward senario.

The idea above with the mob head sounds nice, prehaps extend on that with having to equip yourself with a special no resistance armor to be able to morph (and be less creeper resistant with no armor). And also adding a rare drop to the mobs to be able to get that morph rather than just killing it would give that "oh yeah, finaly found it" that we get from finding a portal gun in a chest.

Well just my 2 cents ^^

SmirkNMerk

Jul 29, 2019

I don't think it makes sense that way IMHO. For instance, bat's are flying creatures. If you can morph into a bat you shouldn't have to then earn the ability to fly. Flying is inherent to being a bat. Likewise breathing underwater is inherent to being a squid and for forth.

That's why I suggested the mechanic from my previous post. Player's should be made to search for the ability to morph by acquiring an item and or mob. The ability to morph should be similar to lycanthropy, in that its tied to the phases of the moon in terms of duration of the morph.

Imagine this. You have to search for this mysterious morphing creature that you can only distinguish by seeing it morph into another creature at a frequency of spawning and a rate of morphing that can be set by parameters editable by admins. Once you identify this creature is a "morpher" you need to capture it and keep it alive in captivity. Also you need to build a multi block structure of some sort to harness its ability to morph and pair it with an enchant on armor of a particular type that you wear in order to gain the morphing abilities. While you are morphed you have only the natural hearts and armor rating that the mob has. Maybe these ratings are improved by potions by some duration. In order to gain a new morph you now have to capture the mob and "give it" to the Morpher so it may learn to shift into that mob. There are several methods to capture the mobs currently available in vanilla and in other mods, but maybe a method unique to this mod could be added.

Once the forms of morphs are gained the abilities (e.g. flight for bats, fire resistance for blaze, etc…) are not restricted. What may be restricted is the duration and the frequency that morphing is available based on the phase of the moon. Full moon = full duration regardless of day or night. During new moon the duration is short and the frequency that you can morph is reduced.

Maybe you also need to keep the Morpher fed to sustain it's life. You could also "milk it" for a liquid ingredient essential for morphing potions…Maybe that ingredient is produced more during the full moon phase? Just brainstorming here. Open for comment or more ideas to keep the conversation going. The point being that I think there are more creative ways to balance the mod that lead to more engrossing game play.

Last edited:

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
I think the start of any mod should be easyier than finding a mysterious creature. Especially if it is hard to recognize.

SmirkNMerk

Jul 29, 2019
I think the start of any mod should be easyier than finding a mysterious creature. Especially if it is hard to recognize.
That's why I said there should be a parameter that server admins can set in the configs that will control the frequency that the creatures spawn and the interval in which they morph. This will control the difficulty. For those who want a relatively easy experience will set the parameters at a high rate and those who want difficulty will of course set it lower. Morphing is a powerful ability and does make pursuing flight mechanics via other mods obsolete. I think this is a good solution that can accommodate everyone's tastes while making the play experience more rich and involving without adding tedious actions to the game like killing mobs repeatedly to gain abilities that are natural to the forms a player would morph into.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
but... the way I see Morph would be a good case of study is in PVP... really come on people... I always wanted to do something creative with Morph idea with smart movement in a PVP map + ziplines a assassin's creed online map style

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I actually kind of liked Smirk's idea, although it's perhaps a bit convoluted. A thought would be to just put a cooldown on it, for instance, once you morph, you're stuck there for 5 minutes or so. As always, I'd want a config for something like that. Also, whoever said "most FTB servers use default configs/mods" While that may be true, if you play on a server where the owner doesn't have the ability, or just can't be bothered to adjust the modpack/configs to fit the server's direction, that's on you.

Reactions: Hoff

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be changed. If you want it to be changed, then change the configs, it's really easy. Otherwise if he changes it it's going to be bad for the people that don't want it changed.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question.

Why does it (or any mod for that matter) "need" to be balanced? I'm not saying that mods don't have to be "functional, or logical" but like for this, or other mods whos intention was for it to be "fun," why does it seem like there's a very thin line between "overpowered" and "too hard/needs things nerfed"?
because we, for the most part, play with mods as part of a modpack. If a mod comes out that, intentional or not, for fun or not, craps all over the current balance of the modpack, then that mod should not be included in said modpack. Maybe in the beginning, mods were made to balance against vanilla, but if any modder thinks that more people will be using their mod with ONLY vanilla than using it as part of a modpack... well they're just a wee bit silly aren't they?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
because we, for the most part, play with mods as part of a modpack. If a mod comes out that, intentional or not, for fun or not, craps all over the current balance of the modpack, then that mod should not be included in said modpack.

Which is where the process should end.

If the pack wants to appeal to a certain level of balance then they shouldn't include mods that go against that. If they still insist that a mod should be in it and instead ask the dev to change the mods direction just for them, they're entitled pricks.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
because we, for the most part, play with mods as part of a modpack. If a mod comes out that, intentional or not, for fun or not, craps all over the current balance of the modpack, then that mod should not be included in said modpack. Maybe in the beginning, mods were made to balance against vanilla, but if any modder thinks that more people will be using their mod with ONLY vanilla than using it as part of a modpack... well they're just a wee bit silly aren't they?
Isn't that why we have the option of removing certain mods?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
It shouldn't be changed. If you want it to be changed, then change the configs, it's really easy. Otherwise if he changes it it's going to be bad for the people that don't want it changed.
There aren't any configs that add extra gameplay mechanics like improving abilities. And, "Some people disagree with you therefore you should not win this discussion" isn't really a compelling argument.

Jamierb03

Jul 29, 2019
How about from the idea of server giving people perks for donations like fly? You can now through that out he window, unless you decide to just not use it. But then it goes back to are you giving your players what they want. So to me this does need to be revamped. I have read Ichuns blog and he is making a lot of changes to the next update that should fix most of the issues I have read here and agree with.