Morph - Flight seems a bit op..

KnightOwl

Jul 29, 2019
Am I out there in thinking that becoming a bat and having unlimited flight in Morph is OP? I mean compared to the amount of effort to get flight using any other mod it seems crazy.

So yes.. I can just not morph into a bat but for fun I figured we could discuss options that would make it less so.

The idea I came up with is to have flight be limited in some way. Maybe you can only fly for 20 seconds before you have to land and 'rest'? Also how about not being able to use any tools as a bat?

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
it sounds like in the future there are going to be some changes to make morph acquisition more balanced in terms of mob abilities. No idea when that will happen but I know I'm keeping my eye on the mod until then.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Last i heard Ichun is changing it (changed it?) so flight uses like 20x hunger or something, but of course i may be wrong

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it's certainly OP. Flight from a passive mod? Ridiculous. Really, the only way for it not to be out of line is to require 1000 (or some large number) kills before you gain the benefit. That said, it's a bit of fun, and it's awfully handy for squeezing into 1x1 blocks for wiring and whatnot. You can also disable the abilities in the configs, as well as blacklist particular mobs or whitelist players allowed to use them.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, it's ridiculously OP... ideas for bringing it in line with other mods level of balance..?
Firstly, bats don't have hands, so you don't get to use your tools or access inventory. Same for other mobs too (except the zombie/Pigman can use weapons)
Secondly, it needs to have some cost.. maybe something like WayOfTimes awesome Blood Magic LP network, where changing into a bat could cost LP, and then it would constantly drain LP for every second that you are transformed.

Other than that.. you can disable the mob abilities in the config.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Morph is a very cool mod and the developer probably took the easiest and least-bug-prone approach. Good approach, IMHO.

But, balance was likely secondary. I hope and expect future versions to be more balanced.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I played with morph a while back and found it only mostly OP. Unless something changed, you loose your morphs (flight) when you die. Also you get the DIS-advantages of the mob you are morphed into. So while flying around your base as a blaze is great, life sucks if it starts raining while you are out in the open.

I found it WAY to easy to fly around.. get in trouble and get killed. Then since I died.. i could not fly anymore and I had to find another bat on foot. This usually took a while and most times I lost all my stuff.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, it's ridiculously OP... ideas for bringing it in line with other mods level of balance..?
Firstly, bats don't have hands, so you don't get to use your tools or access inventory. Same for other mobs too (except the zombie/Pigman can use weapons)
Secondly, it needs to have some cost.. maybe something like WayOfTimes awesome Blood Magic LP network, where changing into a bat could cost LP, and then it would constantly drain LP for every second that you are transformed.

Other than that.. you can disable the mob abilities in the config.

yup, bats don't have arms, so why can they use tools? they also can't wear armor, so why can players do if they morph into a bat?
Morph is created as a mod for modjam, so ichun only had so much time to make the mod, so the balance is something that'll come later.
I've often mentioned this before about Morph, but in my opinion it should be changed so you take on the full morph of an entity. a bat has no arms to use tools nor can it wear armor, so if you morph in a bat you shouldn't be able either. you should also take the amount of health that the bat has when morphed into a bat, meaning some mobs may be able to 1hit KO you if you're not careful. I was also thinking about having morphs have a time duration, which can be extended by killing more of that type

Reactions: kaovalin

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love if you needed some expensive item (i.e. nether star/dia block or maybe even something with TE recipes) to initially use Morph. Then balance wouldn't be as bad as a concern.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There's an option in the configs letting you disable abilities like flight until you reach the Nether, which is a start at the very least.

I find fly insanely overpowered and even with the insanely high hunger price, a couple of pieces of bread being eaten is a lot easier than traversing across 200 blocks of lava in the Nether or finding another solution.

I find that something like the zombie morph is well balanced but has workarounds - other mobs won't attack you which is a big bonus, but not being able to go out into the sunlight is an even bigger drawback. You can use it while caving to be safe and save yourself a metric fuckload of torches to light the place up at least.

getting into the nether is not that hard if you just want to go to the nether to get the fly ability. you just need a couple of iron, a piece of flint and a lava lake to make it to the nether if you're in a hurry

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Morph was never really supposed to be balanced (or at least that's what it seems to me). It's just one of those fun and crazy mods you throw on a server for S&Gs. You can try to balance it a little bit by making certain movements restricted or less useful in certain terrains, but the truth is, your never going to achieve "balance" with Morph. It's a mod based on becoming other mobs and using there abilities. There's no way to really balance that without a high, upfront resource cost before using the entire mod and by the time you've done this, most tech or magic mods will have gotten you flight or something.

I say just enjoy the mod for what it is and just have some fun with it.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Tedium is NEVER a good way to balance a mod, calls for a high costing item are a better idea IMO then say kill X mobs before gaining their abilities. However I really do think that doing that takes out part of what makes this mod fun. I think I agree with Dire in the point it makes builds so much easier, since as a bat or chicken you can fit into 1x1 holes so you can lay down pipes. If the ability to use tools were taken away from those forms I'd want an equivalent made available so I can use those tools. Really though I agree with Democretes and just say enjoy the mod and stop all the worry about balance so much, after all, if you don't like a mod, don't use it.

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Well it actually have a minimal cost, you lose hunger like mad while flying on morph. Tho i think the price for getting the morph should be slight higher, like this idea of maybe getting a item to enable abilities sounds interesting.

Pericus

Jul 29, 2019
I played with morph a while back and found it only mostly OP. Unless something changed, you loose your morphs (flight) when you die. Also you get the DIS-advantages of the mob you are morphed into. So while flying around your base as a blaze is great, life sucks if it starts raining while you are out in the open.

I found it WAY to easy to fly around.. get in trouble and get killed. Then since I died.. i could not fly any more and I had to find another bat on foot. This usually took a while and most times I lost all my stuff.

I do not see what's wrong with the way this works. I like the idea of having the advantages and disadvantages of a mob. And for those of you who think it's too easy: the added hunger sounds like a good trade off. I'm not going to get a nether star (and never have) sounds like way too much effort. It's not like flying is that great.[DOUBLEPOST=1386866000][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well it actually have a minimal cost, you lose hunger like mad while flying on morph. Tho i think the price for getting the morph should be slight higher, like this idea of maybe getting a item to enable abilities sounds interesting.

I do not like the idea of getting an item in order for it to work. I do like the idea of having to DO something. And not killing 1000 bats.
maybe sacrificing some mob loot on a altar or something.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
It's a novelty mod. Think it's OP remove it from the pack...YAY no more OP. If you play on a server, just don't use it.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I find many mods to be entirely OP or else have some block, item, or mechanic that's OP. I simply don't use them and I'm the happier for it. I explore more mods and my worlds last longer.

Minecraft is a sandbox game and it's what *you* make it. In the case of something OP, it's also what you don't make it, i.e. choose not to use.

Reactions: SkyBoy96