More 1.7.10 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXScrewitXx

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i have heard of some new modded survival pack named called Epic Craft but i can't find it in the mod packs list.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i have heard of some new modded survival pack named called Epic Craft but i can't find it in the mod packs list.
Go to the third party packs tab and it should be the fifth from the top. If it doesn't show try re-downloading the launcher.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah I saw that, I was literally shouting at the screen: "Don't do it you bloody idiot!"

Especially right in front of your AE system... Of course, I saw Soaryn do worse with one of those "Bound" items that took out an 11x11x11 chunk of his AS world, including his AE system :D

Thomas Junker

Jul 29, 2019
here's just a genuine question to the FTB team.. hope it will be answered at some point :)

Why is it that the FTB launcher is months behind most other launchers on the 1.7.10 packs??
just wondering, why it takes them, 4-6 months longer than anyone else to make a modpack..

i am no modder myself, just a player. :)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
here's just a genuine question to the FTB team.. hope it will be answered at some point :)

Why is it that the FTB launcher is months behind most other launchers on the 1.7.10 packs??
just wondering, why it takes them, 4-6 months longer than anyone else to make a modpack..

i am no modder myself, just a player. :)

FtB likes to do things right. They don't just throw a bunch of mods into a pack and call it good...

First, they get permission from the mod's current developer to use the mod or it's not included.

Second, they make sure the mechanics are configured correctly and none of the mods conflict. Part of this is easier with the new ID system from Mojang, but issues still need to be found and tweaked.

Third, and most important, they take the time to balance the gameplay and make an attempt to provide a theme.

If you go back and read this thread you will see the new direction FtB is taking... Smaller themed packs. They figured why should they duplicate 1001 other "kitchen sink" packs (everything including the kitchen sink) when the recent popularity of Agrarian Skies and Crash Landing indicate that people like at least a semblance of a storyline to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

Thomas Junker

Jul 29, 2019
FtB likes to do things right. They don't just throw a bunch of mods into a pack and call it good...

First, they get permission from the mod's current developer to use the mod or it's not included.

Second, they make sure the mechanics are configured correctly and none of the mods conflict. Part of this is easier with the new ID system from Mojang, but issues still need to be found and tweaked.

Third, and most important, they take the time to balance the gameplay and make an attempt to provide a theme.

If you go back and read this thread you will see the new direction FtB is taking... Smaller themed packs. They figured why should they duplicate 1001 other "kitchen sink" packs (everything including the kitchen sink) when the recent popularity of Agrarian Skies and Crash Landing indicate that people like at least a semblance of a storyline to follow.

I read the news threads.. was just wondering how it could take so long to get the packs made.
have no idea on how much work it requires to write a quest or anything else for that matter..

but does all "this work" still take 4-6 months??

i've seen a few quite well working packs on some of the other launchers, that to my "point of view" doesn't have any issues, even though they contain 150+ mods
might just have been lucky enough, not to run into an issue, but still..

i know from construction business that things take time, but we also keep an estimated timeline, on things, even from day 1.
that timeline changes from day to day, depending on which troubles we run into.
and in construction of a building, goes alot of planning work, what goes where, why does it go there, how do we get it there. such things..
i think that programming can be a little similar on the big picture..

making a timeline, work maybe 2 weeks, look at the timeline again, and see, does this look possible..
a computer fire, does set one back ALOT, maybe even resets the timeline, but there still is a timeline.
compare it to a table of content, where you check things off when they are done..

such things for ME, would be nice to see, as it gives me an idea on where in the process they are with everything..

it's easy to say "you cant have an ETA" and tell people you work on things..
when nobody can see what you are working with at a given time..

i hope you get what i mean, else say so, and i will try and rewrite it with other words :)

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure other people are better equipped to more fully answer your question, but a few points:

1) Comparing it to your construction business is a bad comparison. I assume your construction business makes money. FTB is a hobby for these folks. Yes, they might get some money from Patreon, or other donations, but mostly, this is a "free time" thing, and thus, it takes time.

2) If other launchers are putting together packs that you want to play, then play them. There's little/no reason for FTB to duplicate what's being done elsewhere.

3) In some of these cases, the FTB team were waiting for specific mods to be released in 1.7.10, as they were critical to the experience that they were trying to provide in these packs.

4) ETA's are a false hope. AAA video game creators set deadlines and ETA's all the time, and you get games that are incomplete and buggy, or delays that people complain about when the ETA isn't met. Many developers, as a result, have learned not to give ETA's until it's absolutely, 100% sure that they can meet them. Similarly, there's more negatives than positives for the FTB team by announcing an ETA they aren't sure can be met. People are going to complain either way. At least this way, they can't be accused of lying.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Oraia

Jul 29, 2019
Will the Tech Pack have Meckanizm ? It's a pretty great tech mod , changing from basic power generation

Thomas Junker

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure other people are better equipped to more fully answer your question, but a few points:

1) Comparing it to your construction business is a bad comparison. I assume your construction business makes money. FTB is a hobby for these folks. Yes, they might get some money from Patreon, or other donations, but mostly, this is a "free time" thing, and thus, it takes time.

2) If other launchers are putting together packs that you want to play, then play them. There's little/no reason for FTB to duplicate what's being done elsewhere.

3) In some of these cases, the FTB team were waiting for specific mods to be released in 1.7.10, as they were critical to the experience that they were trying to provide in these packs.

4) ETA's are a false hope. AAA video game creators set deadlines and ETA's all the time, and you get games that are incomplete and buggy, or delays that people complain about when the ETA isn't met. Many developers, as a result, have learned not to give ETA's until it's absolutely, 100% sure that they can meet them. Similarly, there's more negatives than positives for the FTB team by announcing an ETA they aren't sure can be met. People are going to complain either way. At least this way, they can't be accused of lying.

1: you completely missunderstood what my intend here is.
not to compare the 2, side by side.. but the process management, timeline. when making a program / modpack, you tend to work out what things needs to be done, and estimate how long it takes..
most industries does that..

2: when did i say that i wanted to play them, i said they have some quite well working ones..

3: now we are getting to a point where things start to take time. this is out of their hands.. i know that.

im sorry if i sound mad or something, but before you reply to a post, be sure to understand what the intend is, especialy when people takes other things into a debate, this case, i use what i KNOW (construction) and uses that to explain how we use the timeline to see how much "time" things take, compared to how much work is being done

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
1: you completely missunderstood what my intend here is.
not to compare the 2, side by side.. but the process management, timeline. when making a program / modpack, you tend to work out what things needs to be done, and estimate how long it takes..
most industries does that..

2: when did i say that i wanted to play them, i said they have some quite well working ones..

3: now we are getting to a point where things start to take time. this is out of their hands.. i know that.

im sorry if i sound mad or something, but before you reply to a post, be sure to understand what the intend is, especialy when people takes other things into a debate, this case, i use what i KNOW (construction) and uses that to explain how we use the timeline to see how much "time" things take, compared to how much work is being done

But you're using something you know that isn't comparable. You can't use the business model of a completely different industry to compare to the timeline of a group of hobbyists doing something for recreation. It's just not fair. They just aren't similar.

Thomas Junker

Jul 29, 2019
But you're using something you know that isn't comparable. You can't use the business model of a completely different industry to compare to the timeline of a group of hobbyists doing something for recreation. It's just not fair. They just aren't similar.

thats where you are wrong :)

since a building is a project, and making a mod pack is a project, they can managed the same way.
its not the people working on it, that has anything to do with it.

you have in both cases a list of things that needs to be done.

1: a
2: b
3: c

whenever they are done with one, they can tick it off, that goes for nearly every company, industry and so forth..
its like a building manual for a closet bought in IKEA.. you do 1 then 2 then 3..

its the same in programming, construction, hairsaloons, even when cooking your dinner..

each step takes some time, in programming, making a timeline, can be harder than in other industries, as there are alot more "work" involved in making each step.
but still its doable to a certain point..

some things set it back, others makes it go faster, and some resets it completely, like the computerfire they had.

this is just an advice, but before you start writing the next reply, read up on how project management is done, that might help you a bit to understand more of what i mean.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
@Jadecat - Honestly most quests should just give a little EXP and give back the items that were needed to complete it. Maybe the end of a chain quest could give an optional item that coincides with that chain. (ie- a botanical chain that gets you to craft the pedestal up to the spreader and the final reward gives you a mana tablet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
@Thomas Junker

I think the only good and stable 1.7 pack out there that I know of (my knowledge can be limited) is the Bevo pack, and he's put tons and tons of time and effort into getting up and running and stable, and only now is it at a point where you can start playing it without too much fear of something going wrong somewhere. So yep, building a good pack takes a lot of time. There's a lot of 1.7 packs out there now since the last two weeks (and only since the last two weeks, mind you), but most of them are still in Alpha or early beta pĥase and can be unstable and unreliable for sustained server play.

The problem in building packs is that you often have this one single mod that you want to include (or included) that messes everything up through one single messy bug. This slows everything down and throws all planing and scheduling through the window while you wait for a potential bug fix or a config tweak that will serve as a go around.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
thats where you are wrong :)

since a building is a project, and making a mod pack is a project, they can managed the same way.
its not the people working on it, that has anything to do with it.

you have in both cases a list of things that needs to be done.

1: a
2: b
3: c

whenever they are done with one, they can tick it off, that goes for nearly every company, industry and so forth..
its like a building manual for a closet bought in IKEA.. you do 1 then 2 then 3..

its the same in programming, construction, hairsaloons, even when cooking your dinner..

each step takes some time, in programming, making a timeline, can be harder than in other industries, as there are alot more "work" involved in making each step.
but still its doable to a certain point..

some things set it back, others makes it go faster, and some resets it completely, like the computerfire they had.

this is just an advice, but before you start writing the next reply, read up on how project management is done, that might help you a bit to understand more of what i mean.

Have you ever attempted to write your own software? If not you aren't qualified to hold an opinion on any software creation related issue. You just don't understand how different the thought processes are.

There's a vast difference between intangible projects and physical projects, where ideas don't always work and/or you may have to start over due to circumstances beyond your control (see the recent "Bukkit" fiasco), and physical activities where you can easily determine how long it takes to pour and cure a yard of concrete or nail two 2x4's together...

Reactions: Padfoote

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
I read the news threads.. was just wondering how it could take so long to get the packs made.
have no idea on how much work it requires to write a quest or anything else for that matter..

but does all "this work" still take 4-6 months??

i've seen a few quite well working packs on some of the other launchers, that to my "point of view" doesn't have any issues, even though they contain 150+ mods
might just have been lucky enough, not to run into an issue, but still..

i know from construction business that things take time, but we also keep an estimated timeline, on things, even from day 1.
that timeline changes from day to day, depending on which troubles we run into.
and in construction of a building, goes alot of planning work, what goes where, why does it go there, how do we get it there. such things..
i think that programming can be a little similar on the big picture..

making a timeline, work maybe 2 weeks, look at the timeline again, and see, does this look possible..
a computer fire, does set one back ALOT, maybe even resets the timeline, but there still is a timeline.
compare it to a table of content, where you check things off when they are done..

such things for ME, would be nice to see, as it gives me an idea on where in the process they are with everything..

it's easy to say "you cant have an ETA" and tell people you work on things..
when nobody can see what you are working with at a given time..

i hope you get what i mean, else say so, and i will try and rewrite it with other words :)
English please :p

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
Have you ever attempted to write your own software? If not you aren't qualified to hold an opinion on any software creation related issue. You just don't understand how different the thought processes are.

There's a vast difference between intangible projects and physical projects, where ideas don't always work and/or you may have to start over due to circumstances beyond your control (see the recent "Bukkit" fiasco), and physical activities where you can easily determine how long it takes to pour and cure a yard of concrete or nail two 2x4's together...

I agree with you..... using the current" Bukkit mess" is a good example there is more going on there any of us know ...... and sure to be more issues to come in the future ...from my understanding Microsoft buying Mojang is a very strong in happening ....for those who don't know http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/09/us-mojang-microsoft-deals-idUSKBN0H42HY20140909 I for one thx my lucky stars there people who take the time to make Mods and Mod packs in there free time for free or little or no money in donations or do it pure for the enjoyment of the game ...just for us to brake them they fix them and we enjoy them :D:D:D

victor pelt

Jul 29, 2019
the funny thing is that in some countries when you buy a new house the only ETA is x months after the government gives all the permits or a certain amount of lots are sold.

maybe they should have an ETA page that is fixed to "exactly 1 month" from now and you can see the estimate going up second by second. A continuously updating eta, what more could people ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.