More 1.7.10 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Pack dev continues:

1.7.10 packs are in the works. @Eyamaz has had an unfortunate computer fire which may cause some delay on the tech packs.

4 FTB packs are currently planned:

• Magic pack - no tech mods. Lots of mystical lore and quests
  • FTB Lite 3 : Lightweight foundation pack. Somewhere between 5-10 content adding mods with tutorial quests.
  • Tech pack - tech factory mods. May have quests
  • Super Duper Secret pack Eyamaz has been hinting at. The lore continues. More quests more tweaks more fun.
Magic and Lite will be my babies this time while Eyamaz will be doing Tech and the Secret pack. I will probably stick my nose into the secret pack at some point.

For Magic and Lite and my personal packs, development will proceed as follows:

• Alpha - no quests no major tweaks. - Break the mods find bugs, make sure there's nothing that would mean a mod needs pulled.
  • Beta - Hello tweaks and basic quests - More breaking needed, recipe testing, and quest path progression testing
  • Stable - Full release with full tweaks, quests and evilness.
While I will try to ensure no world resets are needed between any of the stages, it is possible that going from Alpha to Beta may lose some mods and you may want to restart. If you want to make sure nothing will change/break or require a reset, wait till Stable.

The 1.7.10 packs will be some of the most detailed packs FTB has ever done. They will not be just a group of almost compatible mods thrown together with a few basic quests. There will be storylines that cross reference other packs and lore and tweaks and all sorts of gameplay additions. Old familiar mods will be back along with some new friends.

Eyamaz may do his pack development differently. I am sure he'll comment on any differences.

I do not know when DW20 will be ready to do a pack. But we have a team to handle the third party packs maintained by FTB. When he's ready I am sure he'll tweet it out.

Will there be a pack that combines tech and magic? Yes

Will there be a pack that throws every popular mod at a wall and hopes they almost work together? No

You want a pack where people just throw every mod they can load without crashing in a folder... you don't need a modpack team to do it for you.

We are approaching Alpha releases. I will be releasing Lite and Mage Quest (Magic World 3) first. Neither will have quests to start. This is just to have a couple weeks of more thorough testing to ensure we don't need to remove any mods due to bugs before quests are written.

Eyamaz will release iF and Tech (no idea on name) when he feels they are ready.

MF3 and AS2 will be announced in my stream section of the forum since they are not FTB packs.

Once we are sure we don't have to pull mods for world breaking issues, we will move to Beta with Quests.

Lite will be a set of quests geared at introducing players to the basic ideas of modded minecraft. Just as in 1.6 it will be a base foundation pack for people to learn on and add mods to.

Mage Quest will have optional quests. You can always turn off the books.

NONE of the FTB packs will be hardcore. We will also not be doing nearly as extensive tweaks etc as we do in our personal packs, these will play closer to default mods.

We were planning to use Cauldron for 1.7.10 packs to make things a bit easier on servers... but with the events of the last few days, that does not appear possible at this time :(

NO YOU MAY STILL NOT HAVE AN ETA

Last edited:

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Is it still planned that the Tech modpack will have quests? It'd be a freakin' awesome modpack just to have that feature alone because then there's goals to work towards.

hardlinegaming

Dec 2, 2013
united kingdom
i am happy to wait as long as it takes there is nothing better than a top quality ftb mod pack wouldn't use any other packs as i have to much faith and trust in these ones.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Since when is Minecraft suddenly about quests?

Quests help because they add variety to the gameplay (they help you learn unfamiliar mods) and provide information that you'd normally need to find on a wiki. If quests aren't necessary then the book can just be stored away.

PDDnox

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds cool, the FTB packs i look at a bundle of mods choosen bij FTB'ers. Personal packs more a torment from the both of you (Jaded en Eyamaz).
Could Dire be persuaded to create a quest book for his mod... :)

I do hope to see some fun stuff, not only let's kill te player quickly packs. Hahaha.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
If it is not too much to ask of you, @Jadedcat and @Eyamaz

As part of all your 1.7.10 FTB packs, from the get go, I request that you make the packs optifine compatible and include fastcraft and other similar "mineagra" type mods out there that magically seem to make minecraft to "Oh behave, baaby"!

It is mystifying to me as to how my fps goes from 4 to 20 fps and my tick lag becomes an occasional itch rather than "I want to poke my eyes out" type irritation with just fastcraft installed. And before someone asks this, my vanilla 1.8 MC is no better and gives me 4 fps when I am outdoors in a brand new world. :(

All this leads one to ponder, how do modders, who code these mods for free, as a hobby in their free time, manage to get this much more mileage out of minecraft than paid employees of the game maker? (with advance apologies to the wonderful folks over at Mojang, if they ever manage to read this remark) :(

EDIT after 24 hours: The reasons for my starting this fastcraft inclusion request is laid out in this post on the next page. Feel free to comment on my post, but please read that first.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
If it is not too much to ask of you, @Jadedcat and @Eyamaz

As part of all your 1.7.10 FTB packs, from the get go, I request that you make the packs optifine compatible and include fastcraft and other similar "mineagra" type mods out there that magically seem to make minecraft to "Oh behave, baaby"!

It is mystifying to me as to how my fps goes from 4 to 20 fps and my tick lag becomes an occasional itch rather than "I want to poke my eyes out" type irritation with just fastcraft installed. And before someone asks this, my vanilla 1.8 MC is no better and gives me 4 fps when I am outdoors in a brand new world. :(

All this leads one to ponder, how do modders, who code these mods for free, as a hobby in their free time, manage to get this much more mileage out of minecraft than paid employees of the game maker? (with advance apologies to the wonderful folks over at Mojang, if they ever manage to read this remark) :(

Fastcraft is not allowed to be redistributed.

And we can't do anything about optifine. It is coded differently than many mods and has cross mod issues.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Fastcraft is not allowed to be redistributed.

And we can't do anything about optifine. It is coded differently than many mods and has cross mod issues.

About Fastcraft, we had a similar refrain on another thread, and we got a reply from @SpwnX that redistribution is possible.

I suspect Player worded it too strongly for the mod's own good :( Since I quoted @SpwnX here, he might offer more insight about fastcraft.

Optifine has always been a contentious topic for mod pack users, towards the end of 1.6.4. Well, fwii, some versions of Optifine worked well, and some others did not. Then karonyix made a patch that fixed the optifine compatibility with FML and all was well. Side note: This is very similar to the new patch that fyberoptic made for forge, to fix the Java 8 compatibility bug with 1.7.10.

Anyway, are we sure that the optifine+1.6.4+incompatibility issues were carried over to 1.7.10 as well? If so, can we have a patched version like the karonyix one to ship with FTB 1.7.10/1.8 packs? Surely someone in the modded community can write a patch like what fyberoptic did for Java 8 and 1.7.10. In my own optifine experience, adding karonyix's patch made optifine work tickety-boo with all packs across launchers without visual glitches or crashes.

I do not want to come across like a pretentious know-it-all, but since we still have a clean slate when it comes to 1.7.10, can we at least look at the various possibilities to keep the packs playable for all computers, from early on? Please?

And, thanks in advance.

Delnaga

Jul 29, 2019
From what i read it didn't sound as tho Player was comfortable with the mod in its present state to be having it placed in mod packs. Still that doesn't stop you from dropping it in there yourself. Stop being lazy :p

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
About Fastcraft, we had a similar refrain on another thread, and we got a reply from @SpwnX that redistribution is possible.

I suspect Player worded it too strongly for the mod's own good :( Since I quoted @SpwnX here, he might offer more insight about fastcraft.

Optifine has always been a contentious topic for mod pack users, towards the end of 1.6.4. Well, fwii, some versions of Optifine worked well, and some others did not. Then karonyix made a patch that fixed the optifine compatibility with FML and all was well. Side note: This is very similar to the new patch that fyberoptic made for forge, to fix the Java 8 compatibility bug with 1.7.10.

Anyway, are we sure that the optifine+1.6.4+incompatibility issues were carried over to 1.7.10 as well? If so, can we have a patched version like the karonyix one to ship with FTB 1.7.10/1.8 packs? Surely someone in the modded community can write a patch like what fyberoptic did for Java 8 and 1.7.10. In my own optifine experience, adding karonyix's patch made optifine work tickety-boo with all packs across launchers without visual glitches or crashes.

I do not want to come across like a pretentious know-it-all, but since we still have a clean slate when it comes to 1.7.10, can we at least look at the various possibilities to keep the packs playable for all computers, from early on? Please?

And, thanks in advance.
There's a big difference between the license and what the author wants. We don't care if the license permits distribution. We care if the author wants people to redistribute it. If the author doesn't say anything about it, then we fall back to the license. But if the author says they don't want people redistributing it, which Player has, then we don't allow it in packs.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
From what i read it didn't sound as tho Player was comfortable with the mod in its present state to be having it placed in mod packs. Still that doesn't stop you from dropping it in there yourself. Stop being lazy :p
Well, obvious short sighted comment is obvious. :p My motivation for starting all this is for helping a broader audience (and the team from facing "support" questions that could well be avoided early on) than just for the sake of I, me and myself. Rest assured I have added this mod, tested it, found it useful, and can do so again for myself as the situation warrants. :)

There's a big difference between the license and what the author wants. We don't care if the license permits distribution. We care if the author wants people to redistribute it. If the author doesn't say anything about it, then we fall back to the license. But if the author says they don't want people redistributing it, which Player has, then we don't allow it in packs.

And this reply pretty much wraps up the conversation on this topic. I am not happy with it, but I'll go with the policy.

In any case, good luck to the entire team for getting the official packs out of the door soon. :)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
We were planning to use Cauldron for 1.7.10 packs to make things a bit easier on servers... but with the events of the last few days, that does not appear possible at this time :(

Will this effect those who use a 3rd party host? Most only use bukkit (at this time, I know there is some.. err.. controversy over this going on)
Will the hosts will have to change their set ups to be able to use FTB packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.