Monster: Things that should be disabled by default. Your opinions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you not like custom work benches? Do you just not like the look of them?
I think there should be a way to make normal workbenches, maybe just by shapelessly crafting a workbench or something. It's kind of annoying when you have an idea for a building, and then all of the sudden you have a lime green crafting table and it ruins the entire color scheme.

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
I think there should be a way to make normal workbenches, maybe just by shapelessly crafting a workbench or something. It's kind of annoying when you have an idea for a building, and then all of the sudden you have a lime green crafting table and it ruins the entire color scheme.

Well you have a lime green crafting table if you use lime green wood. When you use oak wood you get an oak wood crafting table. Doesn't one crafting table for each wood allow you too prevent "ruining" color scheme since you can make a crafting table that fits with the color scheme?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Why do you not like custom work benches? Do you just not like the look of them?
I must admit I always found them irritating, not just because there are now 11 things called workbench, but because recipes now need to use the ore dictionary (with what tag?) for things that reasonably should be unique. It reminds me of the time someone told me I should use the ore dictionary to check things like end portal frames.

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
I must admit I always found them irritating, not just because there are now 11 things called workbench, but because recipes now need to use the ore dictionary (with what tag?) for things that reasonably should be unique. It reminds me of the time someone told me I should use the ore dictionary to check things like end portal frames.

My crafting tables override the vanilla one so you don't have to use ore dict.

Reactions: Pokefenn

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Well you have a lime green crafting table if you use lime green wood. When you use oak wood you get an oak wood crafting table. Doesn't one crafting table for each wood allow you too prevent "ruining" color scheme since you can make a crafting table that fits with the color scheme?
That works in theory, but when I'm used to the color of the crafting table (which isn't oak, btw), I tend to make sure that my house will blend with it. Every time I played a 1.6 FTB pack I ended up getting irritated about this, except in my Magic World 2 world.

On another note, you should look into that dev tag :p

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
As far as the crafting tables go, there is a config for that in Random Things. Don't bitch about something you can disable.
As far as everything else, pull back to the topic or lock and keep it civil.
First rule of configs: 90% of people won't see your configs. 95% of people won't change them.
Also servers for non-custom modpacks generally don't want to have customized configs.

Reactions: YX33A and Mevansuto

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
How does this affect RC at all?

This is why.

EDIT: Oh right, uh, Reika's RotaryCraft config line that forces all mods to use it's version of ores. Keeps breaking AM2 and Mimicry.

My hope is that RC would use the same system. Processioning ores with final step resulting in the ingot from what ever mod added the ore.
Example: Monster uses, I think it's Thermal expansion's copper ore. RC would take that ore run it through it's processing steps and instead of ending up with Copper ingot 30901:1 roterycraft it would end up with copper ingot 20264:64 Thermal Expantion.
It would make maintaining compatibility easier in the long run I think. And use less IDs. And hopefully encourage future mod makers to do the same and simply use the ores and ingots from other mods when ever they can as opposes to adding there own every single time. I'm not talking about them not adding there own unique ores but common ones. Like copper, tin, silver.
There is absolutely why we need 10 types of iron ingots.

I could actually understand if there were that meany ores or ingots. In the real world there would be differences based on where the ore is found and how it's processed resulting in ingots of varying purity and the like. But no such game mechanic exists to deal with it. And I don't think anyone wants one. Something like that would force you to make every kind of processioning system in the game. I mean It would be fun. But it would take a very long time and with every version update risking the lost of your world... Well I'd want to wait until we get the plugin API and there's fare less chance of losing everything. Besides building every system should be a choice. A fun personal challenge not a mandatory game mechanic.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
This is why.

My hope is that RC would use the same system. Processioning ores with final step resulting in the ingot from what ever mod added the ore.
Example: Monster uses, I think it's Thermal expansion's copper ore. RC would take that ore run it through it's processing steps and instead of ending up with Copper ingot 30901:1 roterycraft it would end up with copper ingot 20264:64 Thermal Expantion.
It would make maintaining compatibility easier in the long run I think. And use less IDs. And hopefully encourage future mod makers to do the same and simply use the ores and ingots from other mods when ever they can as opposes to adding there own every single time. I'm not talking about them not adding there own unique ores but common ones. Like copper, tin, silver.

I could actually understand if there were that meany ores or ingots. In the real world there would be differences based on where the ore is found and how it's processed resulting in ingots of varying purity and the like. But no such game mechanic exists to deal with it. And I don't think anyone wants one. Something like that would force you to make every kind of processioning system in the game. I mean It would be fun. But it would take a very long time and with every version update risking the lost of your world... Well I'd want to wait until we get the plugin API and there's fare less chance of losing everything. Besides building every system should be a choice. A fun personal challenge not a mandatory game mechanic.

I think that the solution for this will come someday with forge.. I think they will add their own ores for mod developers to use with some hooks and shit.. That would be highly beneficial, or at least, thats what i think..[DOUBLEPOST=1394136011][/DOUBLEPOST]
Monster is, for better or worse, a rather convenient "All the things" modpack, making it quite easy to simply disable the mods that are not wanted. Im sure lots of people are using Monster like this.

As you said, all the things.. I thought it would be cool to disable some more things by default yesterday but seeing the comments i understood what this pack is.. A convenient all the things pack. Made for the map.. So there is no point in disabling stuff by default because it would stop being a convenient all the things modpack! And, if its quite easy to simply disable the mods that are not wanted, then you just said it.. Just take that minute of you life and easily simply disable them :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I think that the solution for this will come someday with forge.. I think they will add their own ores for mod developers to use with some hooks and shit.. That would be highly beneficial, or at least, thats what i think..
Yeah it would be highly beneficial to everybody I think if every mod could just use the same ores and they would just automatically work with each other when you added to 2 mods together. But exactly how it would be achieved without dependencies end other bad stuff?...

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it would be highly beneficial to everybody I think if every mod could just use the same ores and they would just automatically work with each other when you added to 2 mods together. But exactly how it would be achieved without dependencies end other bad stuff?...

Well, with what you said before, kind of every mod would hve to depend on thermal expansion, in this case, its just a forge dependency which is already there you know? XD

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well, with what you said before, kind of every mod would hve to depend on thermal expansion, in this case, its just a forge dependency which is already there you know? XD

Forge handled ores is not a feasible possibility. That thread has been done before. It is however feasible to have forge give a config that allows you to choose the ore/ingot/dust(Based on mods installed) that would be used by any mod that uses an oredictionary version of said ore/ingot/dust.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
EDIT: Oh right, uh, Reika's RotaryCraft config line that forces all mods to use it's version of ores. Keeps breaking AM2 and Mimicry.
What are you talking about? RotaryCraft has no ores, much less a config to force the use of mine.

This is why.

Half the Extractor products do not normally use the ore dictionary, and I am not about to write 140 special mod handlers to save one item ID.

killrbladez

Jul 29, 2019
A quick note for those complaining about Geostrata clogging up your sorting systems...all of the cobble versions of the stone are ore dictionary "cobblestone". All of them can be used to craft compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities using any nine of them or vanilla.

Makes for an extra step, yes, but the problem is solvable without too much effort.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
This, I didn't know. I was looking what to do when I found they worked to make temple blocks from Chisel. And as I'm running a blue dyetree farm for apples and lapis, I had tons of blue dye sitting around. Currently have too much of those blocks by cooking up about a double chest of regular cobble too.

Also, for the main part of what should be off by default. I like how all the minimaps are off by default. I gave up on DW20 due to me not being able toeasily remove the minimap with it. (Now I'm used to it though, like how I got used to Zan's monster notifier after using Rei's minimap). If magic crops isn't off by default, it should be if not used in the map. Also whatever causes the explosion noises, I keep thinking my golems are trying to attack special mobs creepers.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Ya know I read these posts and it's not things that should be disabled by default. It's things you don't like.
Disabled by default suggest things that are bad for all players. Not you. Not some. Not even most. But all. And there is nothing in any mod that someone doesn't use at some time. Be it for atheistic reasons. Of just because they fell like being clever.
Some players like taking the easy way. Or they don't have time to set up a complicated uber system. Others like the challenge and will set up those complicated systems. Despite having simpler alternatives. Some want to try everything and will make a dozen systems that do exactly the same thing. And some simply like to try different ways each time.
And if they want to that's there choice. That's your choice. You do not get to chose for them.
So the player next door can great a god machine that churns diamonds not out of dirt but out of thin air. So what. You do not have to do the same thing. This world is only a competition if everybody agrees to it. And I for one do not.
So you take the high way and I'll take the low way. And I'll get to the promised land before you. But we will both reach it eventually. As long as you don't nerf anything I was counting on.
You do that I will hurt you. Pandering to a few loud voices is not something any pack dev or mod dev should do. But threads like this keep shouting so loudly that that's all that they can hear.
Sham on you. Shame on you all. Have some consideration for other players.
As it has bin stated endlessly and seemingly ignored. "If you don't like a system, or mod, or machine you do not have to use it."

Bravo, nailed. Understanding sandbox level: +9000

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Not related to this thread but is related to that post.
Quote from Magical Crops 3.2.0_BETA15ChangeLog"- BIG CHANGED: No more mod ingots/ores/gems added by this mod, it will now pull the item from the correct mod and use it instead of adding it's own."
Lets hope Roterycraft gets a clue. :/

Stop with the Iron, Reika! No one uses your stupid worthless iron. GOD.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Someone needs to code up a mod called Snipehunt where the snipe become visible once any player uses a mod name and lots of curses in caps in chat, and when you kill one it drops cookies. Give the hate a target lol.

Reactions: YX33A

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Someone needs to code up a mod called Snipehunt where the snipe become visible once any player uses a mod name and lots of curses in caps in chat, and when you kill one it drops cookies. Give the hate a target lol.

There's a suggestion thread for mod ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.