Monster: Things that should be disabled by default. Your opinions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I would guess wood is blocked due to the fact that you need to breed trees to get those woods. That would remove an entire chunk of forestry. The geostrata versions of rock are purely decorative. They only convert to cobble.
Vanilla stone being convertible to Geostrata stone effectively invalidates the entire worldgen aspect of Geostrata, which is almost the entire point of the mod. Someone would have to ask Reika what he thinks about that. You may as well be just deleting the normal stone you mined up and cheating in your preferred, rarer stone to build with. It's up to you if you prefer it practically just being an extension to Chisel or not.
The sandstone can't convert to vanilla sandstone.
Geostrata sandstone is actually ore dictionaried to "rockSandstone", "sandstone" and "stone", so any recipe that respects the ore dictionary (apparently only TE and TiC) can use it in place of vanilla sandstone. For example, it's possible to create twice as much glass on the same amount of power (with a bonus 10% chance of Niter per block processed) by extruding stone, converting it to Geostrata sandstone then pulverizing it into sand versus pulverizing cobblestone.
The limestone can't convert to the Emasher or Mariculture version you need for processing. Converting them offers absolutely no benefit. Higher blast resistance isn't what I would call an exploit. It has no OP uses.
The limestone can also be converted into Emasher limestone through the "limestone" tag, though it doesn't convert into Chisel/Mariculture limestone ("blockLimestone").

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Random Things, makes a ton of lag with reactorcraft and Mariculture, too much stress on GPU with the corals and water thingies and it doesnt have that much of gameplay..Also, I disabled IC2.. I know that a lot of people use it.. But.. Its so dead :/ without gregtech it doesnt have endgame stuff, and EVERYTHING you can do with IC2 you can do better with other mod as far as im aware.. Except maybe the crops thingy.. but thats all :/ I dont find IC2 worth the ID's and things loaded in memory..

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Random Things, makes a ton of lag with reactorcraft and Mariculture, too much stress on GPU with the corals and water thingies and it doesnt have that much of gameplay..Also, I disabled IC2.. I know that a lot of people use it.. But.. Its so dead :/ without gregtech it doesnt have endgame stuff, and EVERYTHING you can do with IC2 you can do better with other mod as far as im aware.. Except maybe the crops thingy.. but thats all :/ I dont find IC2 worth the ID's and things loaded in memory..
I definitely agree with Random Things- I really dislike that mod. Everything in it can be done better with others, and some of the textures are ripped straight out of other mods.

IC2 is a classic, and I love Quantum Armor so so much

Reactions: RedBoss

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely agree with Random Things- I really dislike that mod. Everything in it can be done better with others, and some of the textures are ripped straight out of other mods.

IC2 is a classic, and I love Quantum Armor so so much

I know its a classic, but for people that like it they could just enable it.. As you said, you love Quantum Armor, but now there are others way to get that kind of overpowered armor without having to load a TON of compatibilities, blocks, items..etc..etc.. Same thing goes for IC2 and Random Things, they have been outclassed.. I really liked IC2 for a long time, but without gregtech its.. Just. I just dont enjoy it. I feel that the effort put into IC2 doesnt compare to the effort put into buildcraft or thermalexpansion for example.. Its a classic, but that also means that its old and it has never grew up.. It stayed always the same without evolving.. For the ones that want it for the classy spirit or nostalgia, or maybe for the armor, they can enable it.. But being honest, how many ppl left that actually does something important with IC2 besides the drills and the Armor? Ic2 is a mechanical mod, an industrial mod! Not an armor and cool electric drill one :/ The whole point of IC2 is messed up..

At least thats my opinion

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla stone being convertible to Geostrata stone effectively invalidates the entire worldgen aspect of Geostrata, which is almost the entire point of the mod. Someone would have to ask Reika what he thinks about that. You may as well be just deleting the normal stone you mined up and cheating in your preferred, rarer stone to build with. It's up to you if you prefer it practically just being an extension to Chisel or not.

Geostrata sandstone is actually ore dictionaried to "rockSandstone", "sandstone" and "stone", so any recipe that respects the ore dictionary (apparently only TE and TiC) can use it in place of vanilla sandstone. For example, it's possible to create twice as much glass on the same amount of power (with a bonus 10% chance of Niter per block processed) by extruding stone, converting it to Geostrata sandstone then pulverizing it into sand versus pulverizing cobblestone.

The limestone can also be converted into Emasher limestone through the "limestone" tag, though it doesn't convert into Chisel/Mariculture limestone ("blockLimestone").

After playing with the Mariculture automatic dictionary converter. You CAN NOT convert geostrata Limestone or Sandstone to anything but other Geostrata stones. The chisel mod does allow you to convert between all Limestone types, but none of the other Geostrata stones can be converted with it. You can't pulverize it or craft any recipes that need vanilla sandstone. The limestone thing doesn't matter cus it is so abundant. Not like using EE and converting iron to diamonds.
So I am back to repeating myself again. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by converting between types other than asthetics. Please tell me one OP way of using blast resistance??

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
After playing with the Mariculture automatic dictionary converter. You CAN NOT convert geostrata Limestone or Sandstone to anything but other Geostrata stones. The chisel mod does allow you to convert between all Limestone types, but none of the other Geostrata stones can be converted with it. You can't pulverize it or craft any recipes that need vanilla sandstone. The limestone thing doesn't matter cus it is so abundant. Not like using EE and converting iron to diamonds.
So I am back to repeating myself again. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by converting between types other than asthetics. Please tell me one OP way of using blast resistance??
You're right actually, Geostrata stone doesn't convert into vanilla sandstone, or Emasher limestone, but both can be converted into their Geostrata equivalents. Odd.

It's exploity for exactly the same reason converting between different kinds of wood or wool or stained clay, completely freely, would be exploity. In a game about building, aesthetics are a valid reason that a building block should be more difficult to acquire. Judging by Reika's general reactions to other mods fiddling with his stuff (e.g., Reactorcraft nuclear waste being nullifiable with Thermal Expansion, asking authors to discontinue mods that break Rotarycraft balance like "electric" shaft power pipes and so on), I get the feeling that he might be bothered if he knew just how easy it is to produce Geostrata stone from practically nothing using other mods, other than the intended way of quarrying it. Or perhaps it was actually intentional, who knows?

Granite and Hornfel are both completely TNT and creeper-proof, so there's that.

But, hey, you're playing a modded game, if you want your stone convertable that way, that's your prerogative.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I must admit I kind of resent people complaining about DyeTrees' balance due to it dropping vanilla dyes when there is an option to change them to tree dyes. Seriously, read the configs before you make yourself look foolish, or you are no different than the people who do things like complain about RotaryCraft because of machine volume and ignore the five config or ingame options to control it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I must admit I kind of resent people complaining about DyeTrees' balance due to it dropping vanilla dyes when there is an option to change them to tree dyes. Seriously, read the configs before you make yourself look foolish, or you are no different than the people who do things like complain about RotaryCraft because of machine volume and ignore the five config or ingame options to control it.

So since you're here; what's your take on the cobble/stone-geostrata converting?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

I get the frustration. Mod authors provide things, and people complain. wtf.

But this thread IS about Monsters defaults.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019

Just saying, but the whole idea of using a modpack (At least in general) is to be able to make 3 clicks and have an usable installation, so the people that do check configs for personal preferences are just a few.. Also, the problem we always have when updating and having to redo our configurations again is kind of a pain in the back.. So please, try to understand that fact, and even try to keep in mind that a lot of people doesn't even know how to get to their minecraft folder.. Thats the good and bad thing about modpacks, they are as easy to get as clicking twice, one for the link, one for instalation. But they also make users don't know what is going on in the background and, in contrast with normal installations, doesn't force them to learn...

The solution for this would be to offer different sets of configs for the people that don't know how to work with them, but, the FTB team is not slavery and we can't expect them to do all that work..

So, yeah, try to just ignore the fact that people complain or even make your signature with some info about cfg's for people that would try it by themselves... Btw, Rotarycraft for the win. I love it, I love its machines, I love the effort put into it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
OT, always amazes me in this day and age how many people don't actually know how to use a computer, as in getting into the files to adjust things, see where things are stored, etc.
I still have fond memories of getting a new game, and having to do some tweaks to autoexec.bat, knowing my IRQ settings to configure sound/gfx and maybe doing some memcheck stuff just to get a game to work. All that stuff was expected for the player to sort out (with some instructions in a manual), back in the distant past where "technology/computers" was not as common/widely used as they are now.

Amount of times I've given someone instructions to go to Windows Explorer (aka File Manager), not Internet Explorer, and yes, they've gone to IE...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Teleportation is, for me, the death of "fun". I do not teleport things for the same reason I don't create infinite water sources (for mods with machines that use water) - building a pipeline is far more... well, building. The default mods (and mod settings) in a pack, to me, should generally encourage more, not less, construction. And teleporting things around, to me, trivializes infrastructure concerns.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Teleportation is, for me, the death of "fun". I do not teleport things for the same reason I don't create infinite water sources (for mods with machines that use water) - building a pipeline is far more... well, building. The default mods (and mod settings) in a pack, to me, should generally encourage more, not less, construction. And teleporting things around, to me, trivializes infrastructure concerns.
I partially agree on the teleporting.
On one side, it's needed for long distance stuff, otherwise you'll end up hurting a server a lot more building a 200 block chunkloaded pipeline, and on another, it does trivalise some things.

The tesseract I think is OK, it's more expensive, and requires that you have some tech infrastructure in place, but the ender chests/pouches are a vanilla crafting recipe. While "expensive" in terms of vanilla, I feel those recipes need to be "tech'd" up in a tech pack, to use components that can only be crafted by mid/end game machines. So for example, the ender pearl could be replaced with a Enderium Ingot.
I suppose really for a pure tech solution, it should be a combination of expensive and have a power requirement.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
On one side, it's needed for long distance stuff, otherwise you'll end up hurting a server a lot more building a 200 block chunkloaded pipeline, and on another, it does trivalise some things.

The tesseract I think is OK, it's more expensive, and requires that you have some tech infrastructure in place, but the ender chests/pouches are a vanilla crafting recipe.

Why would you build a pipeline over a long distance and even have to chunk load it all? Build a railcraft track with an anchor cart and you are good to go to go as far as you want without hurting anything.

To me it doesn't matter how expensive something is, because resources aren't limited and so easy to come by even quite early in the game, for me it's all about how much fun something is to build/get to work and teleporting something is the least fun of all options.

Zulef

Jul 29, 2019
I would think that the best solution might be to go to the Twilight Forest and find a labyrinth. It has lots of bedrock separating the different levels of the labyrinth, and should be quite safe to remove.
Pretty sure this doesn't drop Bedrock Dust as it can be mined with a bore given enough torque.
It may be flat, but it's still 4 blocks thick.
My mistake, thought it was 1 deep like some of the other FTB packs.

I understand that the pack is designed for the FTB Map, but at the minute everyone's just using it as the big standalone pack, like Unleashed was, as the challenge map has been stalled for quite a while now, so why not alter some of the more imbalanced default configs to reflect this?

As mentioned before, the issue of having to redo all our configs is a pain with every update, this is the main reason once I have a pack, I tend to update mods manually as needed.

(Edit: typo)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just saying, but the whole idea of using a modpack (At least in general) is to be able to make 3 clicks and have an usable installation, so the people that do check configs for personal preferences are just a few.. Also, the problem we always have when updating and having to redo our configurations again is kind of a pain in the back.. So please, try to understand that fact, and even try to keep in mind that a lot of people doesn't even know how to get to their minecraft folder.. Thats the good and bad thing about modpacks, they are as easy to get as clicking twice, one for the link, one for instalation. But they also make users don't know what is going on in the background and, in contrast with normal installations, doesn't force them to learn...

The solution for this would be to offer different sets of configs for the people that don't know how to work with them, but, the FTB team is not slavery and we can't expect them to do all that work..

So, yeah, try to just ignore the fact that people complain or even make your signature with some info about cfg's for people that would try it by themselves... Btw, Rotarycraft for the win. I love it, I love its machines, I love the effort put into it.
The thing is, these people are willing to go through the work of disabling a mod - and the world damage such an action creates - so they should be willing and able to look in a config.

I wonder how modding would have gotten started if the first big mods - BC, RP2, PowerCraft, EE and some others - got treated in the same "remove first, ask questions never" manner.

It gets worse, too - this feeds a positive feedback cycle of "what is this mod for? I have never heard of it. Let's remove it", with people removing mods they have never heard of and then that mod getting even less attention. ReactorCraft has had this problem for a while.

Teddy Bear

Jul 29, 2019
Can you have it where this is by default in monster and also so you cant convert it to vanilla dye. Even if it drops dyed tree dyes, a unifier can convert it back & then be used as power in a MFR bio reactor/ bio generator

Status
Not open for further replies.