Monster: Things that should be disabled by default. Your opinions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
What's annoying about Gascraft? It adds no worldgen, just a few innocuous socket modules that you wouldn't even know were there unless you were looking specifically for them (all the Engineer's toolbox modules look the same inside NEI). Its about as inoffensive a mod gets.

haha, i've heard stories about massive non-stop underground explosions. i think it has to do with using another terrain generation, though. i forget which. bop probably.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with qCraft, I've never been able to find a real use for it.
Flat bedrock in a pack with Rotarycraft in it doesn't make any sense either, (no access to bedrock ingots, a pretty big part of the mod) you either have to go mine the roof of the nether or make a mystcraft world (Don't think the bedrock is flattened here, though not sure.) This to me seems like an oversight in the configs.
The bedrock breaker will not break the bottom row of bedrock to open up the void. Monster is setup with a 4 or 5 layer thick of bedrock, so there is plenty available for Rotartycraft.

haha, i've heard stories about massive non-stop underground explosions. i think it has to do with using another terrain generation, though. i forget which. bop probably.
I am using ATG, BOP, and Highlands and have never had an explosion. The only gas you find is inside a shale resource block. You have to frack it to get it out. Sure it wasn't mariculture gas pockets? Not sure if they blow up, but there are gas pockets in the world from it.

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
atm, this is my 'do not want' list for Monster:
Advanced Genetics
Agriculture
Ars Magica
Blood Magic
NetherOres
Geostrata (if chisel in use)
DyeTrees
Mimicry
RotaryCraft
ReactorCraft
MeteorCraft

I'm not keen on the 'new' magic mods - AM and BM. NetherOres seems pointless, as does Geostrata (esp as we have the chisel). Dyetrees is OP imo, as is Mimicry. the *crafts are fugly and buggy (so I've heard).

Reactions: RedBoss

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I am using ATG, BOP, and Highlands and have never had an explosion. The only gas you find is inside a shale resource block. You have to frack it to get it out. Sure it wasn't mariculture gas pockets? Not sure if they blow up, but there are gas pockets in the world from it.

not sure. it was in the BnB thread that i was reading it. i haven't experienced it myself, just was throwing it out there.

Colensocon1

Jul 29, 2019
atm, this is my 'do not want' list for Monster:
Advanced Genetics
Agriculture
Ars Magica
Blood Magic
NetherOres
Geostrata (if chisel in use)
DyeTrees
Mimicry
RotaryCraft
ReactorCraft
MeteorCraft

I'm not keen on the 'new' magic mods - AM and BM. NetherOres seems pointless, as does Geostrata (esp as we have the chisel). Dyetrees is OP imo, as is Mimicry. the *crafts are fugly and buggy (so I've heard).
Ars magica isent in monster btw :) also dye trees is awesome but it does screw with things like ailver woods but I run my base off a pink generator and pink dye from those trees also I love geostrata crystals but hate everything else from the mod lol those differ t cobbles are just cluttering everything I'm trashing them now

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I run my base off a pink generator and pink dye

Kudos. I wan't to get a sheep based dye farm running off of pink dye but my design needs some tweaking.

The pink generator, for me, was just reason #a billion to love RWTema (reason #999,999 is his golemancy skills)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
While you're free to discuss what you think would balance Monster as a pack to be played in a fashion akin to other packs; Jaded has quite plainly stated before that Monster is the pack designed by slowpoke to go with the challenge map. Mods in it are in it specifically for the challenge map aside from BoP/ATG/etc(I assume) which won't have any effect on the map whatsoever(Again I assume) but make it playable as a pack in its own right. The challenge map, as Jaded has said, will be what is used to balance the mods in Monster by gating what you're able to craft, use, farm, etc.

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
While you're free to discuss what you think would balance Monster as a pack to be played in a fashion akin to other packs; Jaded has quite plainly stated before that Monster is the pack designed by slowpoke to go with the challenge map. Mods in it are in it specifically for the challenge map aside from BoP/ATG/etc(I assume) which won't have any effect on the map whatsoever(Again I assume) but make it playable as a pack in its own right. The challenge map, as Jaded has said, will be what is used to balance the mods in Monster by gating what you're able to craft, use, farm, etc.
What is the de facto 1.6.4 FTB balanced pack then? The others are all specialized (tech-based, difficulty-based) with the exception of DW20

Reactions: AlanEsh

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
defactowolf20

really though, it depends on what you're after. direwolf is "balanced" (i hate that term in this context), but so is magic farm 2.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yes, the pack is mainly designed with the challenge map in mind. But lets face it, it does also serve a secondary purpose(IMO in all practicality a much greater purpose) of being a pack that is distributed for people to play.
As the pack comes it contains a number of mods disabled by default already. Now if slowpoke really wanted those mods in the pack why are they disabled? And if slowpoke didn't want them, why are they in at all? Obviously concerns of the users of the pack were made here as well. Not just what slowpoke wanted in the challenge map.

So I would think it would be completely fair to discuss why it wouldn't be logical from a users point of view to have say dyetrees disabled by default, when something like MeteroCraft is. Or EnderNet vs. qCraft.

What is the de facto 1.6.4 FTB balanced pack then? The others are all specialized (tech-based, difficulty-based) with the exception of DW20
I don't think we should take this so literal. After all Ultimate and Unleashed were also packs tailored for the use in challenge maps. The fact that slowpoke never got around to making the challenge maps with them, might give an indication of the fact that they do also serve other purposes.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Kudos. I wan't to get a sheep based dye farm running off of pink dye but my design needs some tweaking.

The pink generator, for me, was just reason #a billion to love RWTema (reason #999,999 is his golemancy skills)
Using a TE3 dye generator with pink generator could be intresting, given the ratios work correctly

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
A quick note for those complaining about Geostrata clogging up your sorting systems...all of the cobble versions of the stone are ore dictionary "cobblestone". All of them can be used to craft compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities using any nine of them or vanilla.

Makes for an extra step, yes, but the problem is solvable without too much effort.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

I would say Monster is the stand-in for that role but there is no "official" pack meant to be used akin to Unleashed. More people have generally moved more toward more specialized packs anyway as they don't need a map to make the balance of the pack work like Monster does.

Yes, the pack is mainly designed with the challenge map in mind. But lets face it, it does also serve a secondary purpose(IMO in all practicality a much greater purpose) of being a pack that is distributed for people to play.
As the pack comes it contains a number of mods disabled by default already. Now if slowpoke really wanted those mods in the pack why are they disabled? And if slowpoke didn't want them, why are they in at all? Obviously concerns of the users of the pack were made here as well. Not just what slowpoke wanted in the challenge map.

So I would think it would be completely fair to discuss why it wouldn't be logical from a users point of view to have say dyetrees disabled by default, when something like MeteroCraft is. Or EnderNet vs. qCraft.

I would think it isn't because I would assume almost all mods that are in be default(Again, almost as the recent addition of ATG and BoP lends credit to not all of the mods being used in the map) are chosen specifically because of something they will offer the map or intend to be used in the map in some way.

However I will give credit as I believe they did attempt to make it a stand-in for unleashed by adding in what I would assume to be all the disabled mods and possibly some of the default mods. I don't think they'll go out of their way, however, to make it into a standalone pack like TW2, MF2, etc. I imagine they will do whatever necessary to not compromise the map and make adjustments where possible.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
A quick note for those complaining about Geostrata clogging up your sorting systems...all of the cobble versions of the stone are ore dictionary "cobblestone". All of them can be used to craft compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities using any nine of them or vanilla.

Makes for an extra step, yes, but the problem is solvable without too much effort.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Alternatively it can be piped into a Mariculture automatic dictionary converter or MFR unifier. It also (pretty exploitably) works the other way around, too; any ore dictionary stone into your Geostrata stone of choice.

Reactions: Teddy Bear

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Alternatively it can be piped into a Mariculture automatic dictionary converter or MFR unifier. It also (pretty exploitably) works the other way around, too; any ore dictionary stone into your Geostrata stone of choice.

Why would that be an exploit? What purpose do they serve other than decor?

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Why would that be an exploit? What purpose do they serve other than decor?
For the same reason wood and planks are blacklisted on both the Automatic Dictionary Converter and Unifier: some stone is much rarer than others, and some only spawns in certain biomes or at certain depths, and in this case the blast resistance value also varies among stone varieties. It seems pretty exploity to be able to hook up an Igneous extruder to an ADC/Unifier to produce Hornfel - which looks quite similar to vanilla stone, but with a blast resistance of 75, and in my experience is also fairly rare in world gen - from nothing other than the water it takes to produce the vanilla stone.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
If you think something is OP, remove it. Find an exploit? Don't use it. I personally like having all the choices. I remove CC, open peripherals, and magic mods. I add carpenter's blocks. Monster has introduced me to so many new mods. I was tired of starting a new world and basically doing the same thing every time. My quest in Monster has been to find new ways to do everything and play with some new mods. It is kinda boring to start a new world every month or 2 and always end up with the same thing.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
For the same reason wood and planks are blacklisted on both the Automatic Dictionary Converter and Unifier: some stone is much rarer than others, and some only spawns in certain biomes or at certain depths, and in this case the blast resistance value also varies among stone varieties. It seems pretty exploity to be able to hook up an Igneous extruder to an ADC/Unifier to produce Hornfel - which looks quite similar to vanilla stone, but with a blast resistance of 75, and in my experience is also fairly rare in world gen - from nothing other than the water it takes to produce the vanilla stone.

I would guess wood is blocked due to the fact that you need to breed trees to get those woods. That would remove an entire chunk of forestry. The geostrata versions of rock are purely decorative. They only convert to cobble. The sandstone can't convert to vanilla sandstone. The limestone can't convert to the Emasher or Mariculture version you need for processing. Converting them offers absolutely no benefit. Higher blast resistance isn't what I would call an exploit. It has no OP uses.

Reactions: AlanEsh

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I like chisel so much is that it doesn't gate its decorative blocks behind massive barriers. I really like forestry, and it adds some beautiful wood planks, but obtaining them just to make a wall look nice is a bit much. I accept it is part of the gameplay decision made for forestry but, those textures are so tantalising (kind of the reason I often play creative I guess). But if I can use the ore dictionary to get a bit more variety out of my blocks without having to do a large amount of special gameplay like tree breeding, then I am all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.