moments you realize you majorly overkilled

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, now that I think about it Omicron's reactor set-up isn't that ridiculous. I've seen some set-ups that were far bigger and more elaborate. Unless IC2 reactors have been massively buffed since last time I used them (basically 1.5.2), I could imagine needing quite a few of those.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know you could make IC2 reactors that big... or is it just a bunch of mini-reactors right next to each other?

Anyway, usually when I start a new world, my first proper power-production is courtesy of a 25*25 (I get lucky with emeralds ;)) MFR tree farm, with jungle trees. By the time I'm done with the world, I'll still not have enough boilers to consume all the wood. Seems like a bit of a waste really.

You couldn't make the old ones that big. This thing is a set of eight 3-chamber reactors stuck together to look like a homogenous whole :p

It was capable of outputting somewhere between 5000 and 6000 EU/t, without requiring external cooling towers or any sort of shenanigans. Super simple and convenient, just very very expensive.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I made a mob grinder room composed of 36 mob spawners collected from various dungeons, incl. roguelikes. Ended up having to void pipe most of the drops.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I made a mob grinder room composed of 36 mob spawners collected from various dungeons, incl. roguelikes. Ended up having to void pipe most of the drops.
What? No cursed earth to help it along? No auto-spawners too? I feel like you only half-arsedly tried to overkill here :p

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
What? No cursed earth to help it along? No auto-spawners too? I feel like you only half-arsedly tried to overkill here :p
Well, because there were multiple creeper spawners I made the entire room out of obsidian since my first attempt ended in...well, it wasn't pretty.:p I had the autospawner in the room immediately above that being fed off of the mob essence from the grinder running this room (I think one of my friends also ran another autospawner elsewhere since he installed a tesseract to pull the extra essence out.) It had a floor of water though, so we could somewhat safely go in and manually spawn mobs if we needed something specific for....science. Yeeesss, science...

Reactions: jordsta95

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on the number of loaded chunks according to the wiki. It's about 80 in singleplayer.
So yeah, spawn limit is around 100 in singleplayer... just it's spread out around all mob types... but if you remove water, and have no grass for passive mobs... then you have around 90 ish possible hostiles (assuming bats don't decide to take up too much spawning potential)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah, spawn limit is around 100 in singleplayer... just it's spread out around all mob types... but if you remove water, and have no grass for passive mobs... then you have around 90 ish possible hostiles (assuming bats don't decide to take up too much spawning potential)
Bats don't count against the hostile mob cap, they are their own category (ambient), as are squids.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla spawning is kinda interesting: It says the cap for squids is 5 in singleplayer. But typically you see much more than five squids because in the ocean a lot of squids will spawn in a single cycle. That also explains why you sometimes don't find any squids in the water at all: They all spawned somewhere else

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla spawning is kinda interesting: It says the cap for squids is 5 in singleplayer. But typically you see much more than five squids because in the ocean a lot of squids will spawn in a single cycle. That also explains why you sometimes don't find any squids in the water at all: They all spawned somewhere else
That is why I thought those numbers were weights not spawn amounts :p

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
I made a server room full of me drives 3 tall and about 12 long and 10 wide with room between them them like aisles all full with 64k drives in a concrete room password protected door let's just say my steam boilers stopped working and I had to jump start them a few times with a massive tree farm feeding them[DOUBLEPOST=1413947813][/DOUBLEPOST]Ae1 btw

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I made a server room full of me drives 3 tall and about 12 long and 10 wide with room between them them like aisles all full with 64k drives in a concrete room password protected door let's just say my steam boilers stopped working and I had to jump start them a few times with a massive tree farm feeding them[DOUBLEPOST=1413947813][/DOUBLEPOST]Ae1 btw
Now do it with AE 2 ;)

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
Now do it with AE 2 ;)
I will try maybe in single player I dont think I will be allowed to go that excessive on current server I'm playing on. But with subnets for AE2 it wont be the same since if they connect too many they go offline.[DOUBLEPOST=1413948862][/DOUBLEPOST]Although now that I think about it controllers then subnet with controllers then subnet with controllers and so forth.... I wonder if my computer will like what I will make it have to deal with? I think I can pull this off very well hiding wiring my prove difficult though.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I will try maybe in single player I dont think I will be allowed to go that excessive on current server I'm playing on. But with subnets for AE2 it wont be the same since if they connect too many they go offline.[DOUBLEPOST=1413948862][/DOUBLEPOST]Although now that I think about it controllers then subnet with controllers then subnet with controllers and so forth.... I wonder if my computer will like what I will make it have to deal with? I think I can pull this off very well hiding wiring my prove difficult though.

One subnet is quite enough :p get a cable to pass 1024 channel is it is good :p

Plus you can't multi subnet with p2p :(

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
subnetting takes one channel even through p2p. p2p allows you to move a "full" set of channels though one channel of another cable. the subnet would be coming off the first group of items(buses/export/import) but only take one channel you can have 6 "items" off that subnet if using smart cable if you decided to connect another subnet but on the orignal items coming off the p2p has only used one channel for 8+ things which is expandable as long as you keep expanding using interfaces and storage busses between subnets. Now my thinking is you can have the max of 32 on dense cable so 32 storage drives altogether thats fine and move over a few blocks another set yes but to have it the same way as i did with ae1 i cant do it the same because i wasnt limited by channels max 32 i but with subnets i cant hide the cables like i did under the floor with ae1
i couldnt make it as long but i could make a gap between them like support pillars so they wont connect when i have more than 32