Mods that go well with BC

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I wanted to make me a modpack that is based around Buildcraft. My question is which mods go well with BC?
I'm aware of RC, Forestry and TE. But are there any other?

If you could think of any other mods that play well with BC (even tho not a typical BC-addon kinda mod) feel free to post, since I can't really find any good ones.

Thanks ;)

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization, Logistics Pipes, Calclavia MFFS, Additional Buildcraft Objects, Minefactory Reloaded, EnderIO.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft to me seems like an item movement mod. Though it has its machines (quarry/filler/etc), for the most part we care most about transport pipes/waterproof pipes/conductive pipes. Then there is the extension to BC pipes, LogisticPipes. For the most part, it's whether you prefer using RP tubes/transport pipes, liquiducts/waterproof pipes, redstone conduits/conductive pipes and any other substitutes. In reality it comes down to preference and there isn't really much to say as to what works "well" with BC.

The best way would be to play one of the existing modpacks and see what you like. I use a combination of both. My latest project uses liquiducts, RECs and conductive piping. You will develop your own tastes/preferences as you continue to use them. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses so its up to you to decide what works best for you/the project. That usually comes with experience, so go out and gain such experiences.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
MPS is decent as well, if you want power armor that doesn't have to rely on EUs to stay charged. Natura/Tinker's aren't strictly suited for BC, but the MFR Harvester can harvest the berries those mods add. I also think you can pump the metals of the Tinker's Smelter around through liquid pipes, so you could make a big smeltery to process your ores with liquid metals flowing everywhere :D

Other than that, everything I would mention has been mentioned I think.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
^
Plus, TiCo is just plain awesome. Though I do wish mDiyo adds in BC's MJ support for the tools. Maybe either using an engine as a modifier or REC from TE as one.

Reactions: whythisname

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
^^^ Pretty much. Outside of blatantly IC2-based mods like Gregtech and stand-alones like DivineRPG, not much flat-out doesn't fit with Buildcraft.

These mods add engines for MJ:
-Forestry
-Railcraft
-Dartcraft (1.5+)
-Redpower (Pre-1.5)
-Thermal Expansion

And these mods add other MJ power methods:
-Factorization (via Railcraft)
-EnderIO
-Minefactory Reloaded

Basically any mod on those lists would be great for a BC modpack.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
The internet has a short memory but I remember buildcraft existing as early as 1.7.3 and I don't think it was new then. It was one of the first mods that let you move items, the API is in everything, and ideas borrowed from it have appeared in basically every large mod since.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactors adds multiblock nuclear reactors that output Buildcraft energy. However it's still in alpha, so I don't know how well it works yet.

It works fantastically. The last I used it was a month or 2 ago and the heat aspect wasn't implemented. You could have the reactor temps higher than the center of the sun and it wouldn't explode or fail. Its in alpha as you stated so stuff like that is to be expected. ;)

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the input guys, awesome! :)

I probably didn't state this as well as I hoped to, but I want mods that are kinda based on BC (kinda..), use BC power, produce BC power, does something with bc, etc. ..

I think I'll go with this:

BC, TE, Forestry (no extra bee stuffs), RC, BC Tools (had a look at this yesterday evening, looks cool), Compact mobs (mob sorting? :D), MFR (don't know if I want to use it too much)

Mods I'll have to try: Big Reactors, Logistics Pipes (never actually used it)

Mods I won't use: TiC and MPS because BC Tools adds armour and tools

Reactions: SpitefulFox

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the input guys, awesome! :)

I probably didn't state this as well as I hoped to, but I want mods that are kinda based on BC (kinda..), use BC power, produce BC power, does something with bc, etc. ..

I think I'll go with this:

BC, TE, Forestry (no extra bee stuffs), RC, BC Tools (had a look at this yesterday evening, looks cool), Compact mobs (mob sorting? :D), MFR (don't know if I want to use it too much)

Mods I'll have to try: Big Reactors, Logistics Pipes (never actually used it)

Mods I won't use: TiC and MPS because BC Tools adds armour and tools

But, but, but... BC Tools doesn't give you flight or any other other fancy armor features MPS gives you. And, and, and... you won't have liquid metals!

Seriously though, looks like a good list and I've learned of some cool mods I didn't know yet here :) I think Big Reactors looks cool and I didn't know about BC tools either.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The only other mods I know of that might not work with BC are the Universal Electricity mods, but there might be some cross-compatibility my unfamiliarity doesn't know about. Then again, Railcraft goes all three ways. (Steam Engines produce BC power, turbine produces IC2 and UE energy.)