Mods that are prone to lag the server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
what about pneumatic craft all this plants growing in every loaded chunk on the map shooting seeds everyfew secs multiplaying etc. Some seeds are bound to land on occupied bloks or on bloks they won't plant themself after a while you are going to end up with tons of entities laying around.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
They will despawn after a while won't they?
Seems like Pneumaticcraft is all about item entities.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
They will despawn after a while won't they?
Seems like Pneumaticcraft is all about item entities.

Yes after 5 minutes just on time for another wave of seeds to be released from already existing plants :p

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you're worried/paranoid about mods lagging a server just remove em all and play vanilla or get a better server.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
If you're worried/paranoid about mods lagging a server just remove em all and play vanilla or get a better server.

Baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others. Paranoia is not paranoid if it's actually happening, I hate how people use this word to disguise what is actually happening!
Politicians have been doing it for years!
What is a Virus? Oh forget it your paranoid!.... How many Viruses are there in the world today?
Good on the OP for asking the question!

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
No one mentioned IC2? It's a lag machine. It often makes 50 times more lag than its TE counterpart. (Ex. Redstone furnace v. Electric furnace)

Is this something that applies only when the machine is actually doing something or just by sitting there, being powered? Do I even need to have IC2 machines placed in the world at all for it to lag my game? Right now, the ONLY reason I still have it is for Nuclear Control's information panels and the rubber balls that are useful for essentia.

Slackerony

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft, Been having alooot of lag issues with it lately, Specifically it's IC2 machines and Teleportation wand

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well, for lag, I've found it's really helpful to play a sky block (Such as AgS)
AKA Remove the world and keep the mods ;P

It does wonders for your frame rate

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Anything that transports entities.

Causes block updates, including lighting.

Vanilla Minecraft is hard on the computer and should always be disabled.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
No one mentioned IC2? It's a lag machine. It often makes 50 times more lag than its TE counterpart. (Ex. Redstone furnace v. Electric furnace)
I'm trying to find out what causes the lag whenever I work in my base. Can it be the five Induction Furnaces?

(Or is it rather the Logistics Pipes system? Also, RotaryCraft mining pipes (the ones created by the boring machine) induce significant lag. They're easily removed, but not automatically)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm trying to find out what causes the lag whenever I work in my base. Can it be the five Induction Furnaces?

(Or is it rather the Logistics Pipes system? Also, RotaryCraft mining pipes (the ones created by the boring machine) induce significant lag. They're easily removed, but not automatically)

How did you measure that? I didn't notice any lag related to them. In fact I have two bases and the base where the rotary craft boring machines are located is a lot faster then the other :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
How did you measure that? I didn't notice any lag related to them. In fact I have two bases and the base where the rotary craft boring machines are located is a lot faster then the other :)
How did I measure that? Well, whenever I go to my mining sites (they're all away from any bases), after a few seconds fps drops down to around 10-15. Remove the pipes, and it instantly goes up. This behaviour strongly suggests that rendering the pipes causes the lag, probably related to their nature as partly transparent blocks.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
I deactivated
- AM2
- GravityGun
- Morph
- Mystcraft
- PneumaticCraft
- PortalGun
- ProjectRed
- qCraft
- JourneyMap

I didn't remove TwilightForest, because I didn't know it's an own dimension. XD
However, it's running smoothly with 10 slots (server is full, most of the time) so far.

But most players are not yet in a high tech tier. So I guess the apex of stuff going on is not yet reached.
Currently it's no problem at all.
So thanks so far for your discussion. :)

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Forgive my interruption, but some people seem to be confusing lag for framerate drops - the two are very much different, and as a server owner it bugs me to no end when people scream "LAG!!" whenever they get large FPS drops. What's considered "Lag" is caused by the server not being able to handle the load, or network issues (anywhere along the client<--->server route, more accurately described as latency.) This typically manifests itself in disconnections, rubberbanding (moving and snapping back to where you were before), empty chunks, or blocks breaking but not dropping, only to reappear. Framerate drops, when your screen moves slowly or you can barely move or issue commands, are much more common and usually caused by a lot of entities/particles/etc. onscreen or in the locally loaded chunks at any given time.
Case in point on my server: Rapid chunk generation causes absolutely no problems with clientside speed, however, after a short time the server struggles to keep up and you get the lag effects I mentioned above. On the other hand, my old RoC workshop had a huge mess of LogisticsPipes before I realized I could do point-to-point links with golden pipes. The server didn't care but my client FPS dropped drastically; this is framerate drop.
To answer OP: Very few mods are prone to server lag, but any can eventually cause it. Rotarycraft is frequently cited but the only blocks that seem to cause noticeable lag are solar tower arrays, while Twilight Forest is rarely cited for lag, but if enough mobs spawn it can notably reduce server performance (4,000+ wild deer, anyone?) Your best bet if you have a brand-new server is to leave default+desired mods enabled, run it for a while in survival with players in creative mode doing anything they can think of, and do frequent performance monitoring of the OS/server thread. That'll give you a better idea if you need to disable mods or can handle what your modpack of choice will throw at you.
As for griefing, almost any mod can be used for griefing purposes to some degree or another. BC quarries, Thaumcraft warded blocks, TE Pyrotheum, RoC borers, Stevecart drills, Bees with End effect, Mystcraft portals stripping gear, the list goes on. I can't tell you how to administer your server, but your best bet is to clearly communicate that griefing will not be tolerated, and come down hard on those who do (and you can prove it!) Since you've chosen to use bukkit/mcpc/whatever it's called nowadays, there's a large amount of monitoring plugins to choose from.

Reactions: YX33A

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Easy Solution: Disable that mechanic on "wild" or rather, "Untended" seeds. One can make them only work that way via Bonemeal. Or was it just can only GET them via bonemeal? No matter in the end, because the issue is a non issue since one can disable that mechanic.

I think you are missing a point. I don't want to mess about with disabling something what is flagship mechanic of the mod. I want something that works right of a bat. Disabling flower spread in PC is like disabling taint in Thaumcraft. This is integral part of a mod, disabling it is not a solution it it work around and it's not going to work on servers etc. So no it's not easy it isn't solving a problem it's running away from a problem and pretending it never existed. When your car breakes easy solution isn't not "use a bike from now on" but "find out what coursed your car to break, try to find a way to avoid it without ruining functionality of a car"

With Pneumatic craft my solution would be make all the seed drop from breaking grass, that way they don't overtake a world and will only appear if players plant them. Other solution would be make flowers to only plant on adjacent block if it's empty. "Don't use it" is never a good solution for anything. Reminds me of a old joke "doctor, doctor my arm hurt's when I lift it" "Don't lift it then. Next!"

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I think you are missing a point. I don't want to mess about with disabling something what is flagship mechanic of the mod. I want something that works right of a bat. Disabling flower spread in PC is like disabling taint in Thaumcraft. This is integral part of a mod, disabling it is not a solution it it work around and it's not going to work on servers etc. So no it's not easy it isn't solving a problem it's running away from a problem and pretending it never existed. When your car breakes easy solution isn't not "use a bike from now on" but "find out what coursed your car to break, try to find a way to avoid it without ruining functionality of a car"

With Pneumatic craft my solution would be make all the seed drop from breaking grass, that way they don't overtake a world and will only appear if players plant them. Other solution would be make flowers to only plant on adjacent block if it's empty. "Don't use it" is never a good solution for anything. Reminds me of a old joke "doctor, doctor my arm hurt's when I lift it" "Don't lift it then. Next!"
That's a flagship mechanic? Because taint wasn't allowed to be disabled in TC2 and it was much worse then it is now. Taint in TC4 is bad, sure, but easy enough to deal with, and more of a nuisance then a threat.

Also because It Isn't. It's a cool feature, but one that is neither here nor there for the mod as a whole beyond the fact that the plants are needed for plastic. It's more akin to the Aphorism Tiles in their levels of actual importance then the freaking Pneumatic Pressure System is.