Mods definitions and usefulness

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
So what are the fully fledged tech mods and magic mods?
For tech the ones (off the top of my head):
  1. ThermEx
  2. Engineers Toolbox
  3. Ender IO
  4. IC2
  5. RoC (rotarycraft)
  6. Gregtech
  7. Hydraulicraft (from what I've heard)
  8. Mekanism

In its current form I'd discount GregTech. Until he leaves beta with the no-IC2-required version it's still an addon.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So what are the fully fledged tech mods and magic mods?
For tech the ones (off the top of my head):
  1. ThermEx
  2. Engineers Toolbox
  3. Ender IO
  4. IC2
  5. RoC (rotarycraft)
  6. Gregtech
  7. Hydraulicraft (from what I've heard)
  8. Mekanism
From what I know:
  1. Thermal Expansion
  2. Ender IO
  3. Engineer's Toolbox
  4. IndustrialCraft 2
  5. BuildCraft
  6. RotaryCraft
  7. GregTech
  8. Mekanism
  9. HydroCraft (though it hasn't been updated since 1.5.2), for those of you trying to find it and failing: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1800149-
  10. Railcraft
  11. Tubestuff
  12. Applied Energistics
  13. InfiniTubes
  14. ComputerCraft
  15. Big Reactors
  16. ReactorCraft
  17. Forestry
  18. Factorization
  19. MineFactory Reloaded
  20. RedPower2/Project Red
  21. Steve's Carts
  22. XyCraft
In its current form I'd discount GregTech. Until he leaves beta with the no-IC2-required version it's still an addon.
Why does it being an addon make it not a tech mod? I get that something like Advanced Machines wouldn't be on the list, because it adds so little content that it isn't even worth mentioning, but things like GregTech add a ton of "tech" stuff.

Reactions: Padfoote

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
From what I know:
  1. Thermal Expansion
  2. Ender IO
  3. Engineer's Toolbox
  4. IndustrialCraft 2
  5. BuildCraft
  6. RotaryCraft
  7. GregTech
  8. Mekanism
  9. HydroCraft (though it hasn't been updated since 1.5.2), for those of you trying to find it and failing: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1800149-
  10. Railcraft
  11. Tubestuff
  12. Applied Energistics
  13. InfiniTubes
  14. ComputerCraft
  15. Big Reactors
  16. ReactorCraft
  17. Forestry
  18. Factorization
  19. MineFactory Reloaded
  20. RedPower2/Project Red
  21. Steve's Carts
  22. XyCraft

Why does it being an addon make it not a tech mod? I get that something like Advanced Machines wouldn't be on the list, because it adds so little content that it isn't even worth mentioning, but things like GregTech add a ton of "tech" stuff.

I'd say no because of the dependancy. A mod like Big Reactors is a yes because it is a stand-alone part of the RF Family not an addon.

And wow, you missed out every single UE Mod.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I always forget about those...

I still don't understand this point.
Because you can't install it and have fun with it by itself. That's why it's an addon, not a key mod (even if it overhauls the whole game).[DOUBLEPOST=1402164312][/DOUBLEPOST]
Because you can't install it and have fun with it by itself. That's why it's an addon, not a key mod (even if it overhauls the whole game).

Then again every mod is dependent on Vanilla.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Because you can't install it and have fun with it by itself. That's why it's an addon, not a key mod (even if it overhauls the whole game).
I understand what an addon is...
I'm just saying, why does it being an addon make it no longer a tech mod?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion fully fledged means stand-alone.

Also your list excluded Hydraulicraft.
Ah okay. Well IMO fully fledged just means "adds a ton of content"

I've never used Hydraulicraft, not even read anything about it.

Also, just noticed he mentioned magic mods:
  1. Arcane Scrolls
  2. Witchery
  3. Ars Magica/2
  4. Thaumcraft/2/3/4
  5. Blood Magic
  6. Magic Crops
  7. Mimicry
  8. Mystcraft
  9. Totemic
  10. Botania
  11. Twilight Forest
  12. Player Beacons
  13. Morpheus

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Ah okay. Well IMO fully fledged just means "adds a ton of content"

I've never used Hydraulicraft, not even read anything about it.

Also, just noticed he mentioned magic mods:
  1. Arcane Scrolls
  2. Witchery
  3. Ars Magica/2
  4. Thaumcraft/2/3/4
  5. Blood Magic
  6. Magic Crops
  7. Mimicry
  8. Mystcraft
  9. Totemic
  10. Botania
  11. Twilight Forest
  12. Player Beacons
  13. Morpheus

Is Morpheus really magic? I'd file it under Server Utility.[DOUBLEPOST=1402165579][/DOUBLEPOST]
Grimoire of Gaia 2, while mostly a mob mod, certainly is more of the magical persuation.

Does that mean mods like DRPG are included?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Is Morpheus really magic? I'd file it under Server Utility.
You could, but it is also magic-influenced, or it seems that way.

You can't really shove every mod in its own little category, generally there will be influences of many different mod styles.

Reactions: Padfoote

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
You could, but it is also magic-influenced, or it seems that way.

You can't really shove every mod in its own little category, generally there will be influences of many different mod styles.
I agree, for instance I tend to think of Magical Crops as a farming mod, without considering it to to be techy or magical (in spite of its name). It is difficult to categorize mods because of the loose nature of the categories. It is no surprise that the definitions are hard to make considering the only thing that people seem able to agree on is that thematically, the only difference between a tech mod and a magic mod are the names and textures.

Why do we need these definitions too? When I browse Netflix, it helps to limit film searches by genre because I can usually predict which films I would find enjoyable by matching my mood and general preferences with the genre. So I am likely to not want to watch Spiderman and Moulin Rouge on the same night, but if I am in the mood to play modded minecraft I am playing the mod that has the most interesting and practical content regardless* of its theme. When I am looking at new mods, my guiding thoughts are about letting the content speak for itself, not what general class it fits into.

When browsing the modjam entries were you thinking, this is a tech mod, this is a magic mod?

*Admittedly, sometimes I limit by theme for aesthetic reasons, but I am not sure how important that really is. I get inspired to build a certain way long after I have downloaded the mods and gotten used to playing with them.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I'm not overly concerned with narrow classifications of individual mods. If anything I use broad definitions like "fun" and "not fun". It's entirely subjective and I'm fine with that.
Not to mention mods like Extra Utilities & Random things which are, well, random in content and straddle all fences.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
The world "Old" has negative connotations that are not preferred by the Elderly members of the audience. Please use the substitution.

"Elderly man river, that Elderly man river ..."

(Is that the oldest response yet for this thread? I think it's younger than color TV, but I'm not sure how many people will remember it)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The world "Old" has negative connotations that are not preferred by the Elderly members of the audience. Please use the substitution.

"Elderly man river, that Elderly man river ..."

(Is that the oldest response yet for this thread? I think it's younger than color TV, but I'm not sure how many people will remember it)
I've never heard of it, but a quick indicates that is indeed older than color TV.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
... oh wow, it's from a radio comedy show? Seriously, I thought it was early variety TV comedy.

Yea, that's the reference. Somehow, I never think of Googling what I know to find out what I don't know about what I know.