Mods definitions and usefulness

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. I'm not overly concerned with narrow classifications of individual mods. If anything I use broad definitions like "fun" and "not fun". It's entirely subjective and I'm fine with that.
Not to mention mods like Extra Utilities & Random things which are, well, random in content and straddle all fences.
But then you'd have to look into op and not op (quote, unquote). Because like I would think a mod like dartcraft is fun, another would think it's "op".

But that's another convo. Lol

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
But then you'd have to look into op and not op (quote, unquote). Because like I would think a mod like dartcraft is fun, another would think it's "op".

I'd never use those terms."OP" is generic for "I don't know how to properly articulate my objection to certain game mechanics."

To me Dartcraft used to be fun but is now grindy. But I keep it because I love my clipboard.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I never use OP. It's a useless and empty term, especially when discussing mods that will always be "OP" compared to the original game.
Honestly, I don't "OP" is that irrelevant when using in the context of modpacks. We can safely say that yes, OreSpawn is vastly more powerful compared to every mod in an official FTB modpack and is therefore completely overpowered in an FTB pack. Just using the term on its own though, such as "OMG DARTCRAFT IS OP", with zero context is indeed meaningless.

However, on these forums I see a lot of "OP means nothing"/"OP is purely subjective" in areas where the answer's pretty obvious. Like DC Time Torches, which blow every other option for crop growth out of the water in terms of how quickly you can get it, how cheap it is and how effective it is, no matter what you compare it to.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
However, on these forums I see a lot of "OP means nothing"/"OP is purely subjective" in areas where the answer's pretty obvious. Like DC Time Torches, which blow every other option for crop growth out of the water in terms of how quickly you can get it, how cheap it is and how effective it is, no matter what you compare it to.

I think you are homing in on (one) of the meanings of "OP" - a mod is OP when it offers items that makes items from other mods irrelevant.

So, for example, Enchanting Plus is OP, and doesn't belong in any mod packs: While it makes enchanting less grindy it makes redundant any other mods enchanting options. Bibliocraft on the other hand is not OP (wrt Enchanting) - while is also answers the question of making enchanting less grindy and RNG prone - it complements the base games (and other mods for the most part) enchanting system.

Last edited:

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019

Dartcraft's op mechanic:
My friend do not uses backpacks. He uses diamond chests inside diamond chestst. And 5-6 minutes of mining makes sure you'll have spawners back home.
For bringing spawners back home AE is way more ballanced.