Mods definitions and usefulness

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
All in all for me I have to say it doesn't matter as long as the mod is consistent in itself and fun to play =)

To keep on topic I'd like to open discussion on a different kind of mod definition/classification, one that's porbably more subjective and even dependent on your current world. Threads I read and especially the controversy around the nerfs in AE2 have made me think about how I play mod and what I expect which led me to a new distiction:
  • mods I play
  • mods that enable me to play other mods
Several mods have grown so essential to me and some extent routine that I pretty much need them to be able to enjoy other mods. As prime examples for this catoegory I would name AE and MFR as well as to some extent TE and Ender IO. Those mods keep things I don't want to be bothered with (storage management, basic power gen, basic resource gen) out of my hair and enable me to focus on the mods I actually "play".
Of course this distiction, beyond the ones I mentioned, is highly fluctuating and certainly subject to the new and shiny effect of more recent mods, but it is still, in my opinon, a valid distiction one should think about, even if only to break throught its limits for a new and interesting approach on how you play the game :)

But mostly I'm curious to hear if other people feel, at least to some extent, the same or whether I'm just spouting nonsense :p

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If anyone remember Thaumcraft 2 all the way back in Minecraft 1.25, that was a tech mod in a magic skin.

There are a lot of cross-over ideas on both sides of the line. Magic mods often have a more unique power system. They are also not often resource limited. Many tech mods are based around material scarcity. (i.e. diamonds or ender pearls) Most magic mods that I've used are not limited to the typical resource scarcity that drives most mods. Thaumcraft limits itself by the research mechanic as well as energy generation (aura nodes) and energy storage (vis capacity of the wand).

I have to say that most of it comes down to theme. Vazkii has it right. Most magic themed mods are all about empowering you, while tech mods empower blocks. There are a few "utility" mods like extra utilities and open blocks and Xeno's Reliquary that are really more of a mish-mash collection rather than an actual themed mod.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
He said it is a tech mod in theme, but not design.
Apparently I mix words when reading while very tired...
It's a tech mod with s/machine/flower/ and s/energy/mana/[DOUBLEPOST=1401934808][/DOUBLEPOST]
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology - Azanor

Reactions: Pokefenn

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
It's a tech mod with s/machine/flower/ and s/energy/mana/[DOUBLEPOST=1401934808][/DOUBLEPOST]

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology - Azanor

Well, we can say that a quarry is a big magic in minecraft.

The ender quarry is kinda, "magitech".Its just sucks up everything, expect living things.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
> 3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Let me add:
4. Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Most views on technology versus magic boil down to this: If anyone can do it by pressing a button, it's tech; if it requires training and personal focus, can only be done by a few, then it's magic.

Give magic some tech, and you have tools, where the magic has been put into some usable form. The "only I can do it" was making that tool; but anyone can point the stick and, if they know the incantation, get something to blast out.

Give it more tech, and there's a button to press without having to know the incantation. Maybe there's a speaking golem inside it, perhaps?

And we all know the idea of a computer wizard that can work technology to the point that the rest of us have no clue how/what.

EDIT: I hit preview, not post!

So if magic and tech are indistinguishable, why does tech have a meaningful "master power system" while magic does not?

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
> 3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Let me add:
4. Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Most views on technology versus magic boil down to this: If anyone can do it by pressing a button, it's tech; if it requires training and personal focus, can only be done by a few, then it's magic.

Give magic some tech, and you have tools, where the magic has been put into some usable form. The "only I can do it" was making that tool; but anyone can point the stick and, if they know the incantation, get something to blast out.

Give it more tech, and there's a button to press without having to know the incantation. Maybe there's a speaking golem inside it, perhaps?

And we all know the idea of a computer wizard that can work technology to the point that the rest of us have no clue how/what.

EDIT: I hit preview, not post!

So if magic and tech are indistinguishable, why does tech have a meaningful "master power system" while magic does not?

Thats to make it more look like "real life". Technically, we have a master power system.

But, i think they should have one for better compatibility.(if the mod have something like an energy system)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I find if something is generally plausible in real life and involves some form of machines and a realistic form of energy (kinetic, electrical, chemical, etc.) it seems more like a tech mod.

Reactions: Padfoote

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This is down to how its explained in game.

Take some thaumic golems. Cute? yes. Well hung? ;)
Magic right?
Ok- lets rename and retexture. They are now robots.
They do an identical job to golems, but our perception has changed from 'magic' to 'tech'.

Most the tech 'power' has some kind of in-game explanation for how it works which is loosely based on IRL power.
Wheres magic 'power' is well magic. It works without any semblance to reality.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
So what are the fully fledged tech mods and magic mods?
For tech the ones (off the top of my head):
  1. ThermEx
  2. Engineers Toolbox
  3. Ender IO
  4. IC2
  5. RoC (rotarycraft)
  6. Gregtech
  7. Hydraulicraft (from what I've heard)
  8. Mekanism