Mods decided to make it impossible to make solar power!!!!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
What is a good source of power early in the game? I will eventully probably setup lava power or steam but what about in the beginning? Should I make a water tower, regular solar panel field or wind mills?
steves carts tree farm + generators?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
steves carts tree farm + generators?

Charcoal is definitely the easiest source of power early game because you can slowly move from just manually chopping some trees down to a fully automated setup that turns log into charcoal (I know planks are slightly more efficient, but they also take up more space) and burns them in a boiler. You can also very easily and cheaply generate both EU (generators) and MJ (stirling engines ore (more efficient) hobbyist steam engines).

Although I do agree that the change to the mod is rather silly (if they want to remove solar power there are easier ways ;)) I am happy it happened. Solar power should not be both the early game and endgame powersource it is now.

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
Really early game I'll with a setup you can power with coal/charcoal/whatever you have on you. Another option is lava that is cheap in both the overworld and the nether, it's annoying to move your pump but it work well early game.
Windmill are more difficult to get power from, but are IMHO the most powerful of ic² green energies source and can easily be expanded as you go until you swin in power. howewer the place needed is huge.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion advanced/compact solars should not even exist, solar pannels are supposed to be early game (like windmill and water generator) and not something that gives 512 eu, is like, a super windmill or a mega water generator... Wtf?!

Reactions: WatcherInTheShadows

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
out of all the different varieties of power generation the only one I haven't used is wind, as it is so goddamn useless.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
out of all the different varieties of power generation the only one I haven't used is wind, as it is so goddamn useless.

Because is early game, to power your first macerator and furnace, not to power (insert end game item of ic2 here that needs alot of power besides mass fab)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Because is early game, to power your first macerator and furnace, not to power (insert end game item of ic2 here that needs alot of power besides mass fab)
early game I went with generator, then manned water, then had unmanned water next to solar, then got into nuclear.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
early game I went with generator, then manned water, then had unmanned water next to solar, then got into nuclear.

Nuclear is completely unbalanced compared to solars unfortunately. I still built one anyway but now I just convert MJ to EU through a crucible > geothermal setup.

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone provide me with a video link or how to setup a Steve's tree farm? It sounds like a good idea

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Nuclear is completely unbalanced compared to solars unfortunately. I still built one anyway but now I just convert MJ to EU through a crucible > geothermal setup.

Waste a load of resources to get 300 eu per tick at max

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
This was back in 1.2.5, I haven't used nuclear since the redesign.

Can someone provide me with a video link or how to setup a Steve's tree farm? It sounds like a good idea

Standard Hull + coal engine + woodcutter module. Design a track with 3 spaces between tracks. advanced detector rail right next to your cargo manager. put cart down, right click, put saplings in woodcutter and coal/logs/combustibles in the engine slot.
done.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
Is it here where i go sad because ppl dont adapt to change that they can easly avoid? Or they are centered on only using 1 method of playing on a mod pack that has over 30+ mods?
On a serious note, i have 30 ultimate solars now, i started the map when midcrack pack was released, i just migrated to the ultimate pack and ofc kept all the difficulty settings at max. We are 10 ppl playing on the server and you dont see anyone bitching about changes or difficulty. There always a way to fix/change/modify/jump over the things you dont like when you have at your dispossal 30+ mods so stop the bitching and start the crafting.

/manu

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
Youu should not call wind useless seriously beside advSolar or compact solar it is probably the most powerful green power source. You need to set them right and in quantities right now I have 41 tower of 64 windmill around height 160 and I get between 2500 and 5000 eu per tick.
The thing is that you need big quantities of them and you need smart placement. (not my design)
Of course in a modpack there are many alternatives for power using farm or spawner

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Youu should not call wind useless seriously beside advSolar or compact solar it is probably the most powerful green power source. You need to set them right and in quantities right now I have 41 tower of 64 windmill around height 160 and I get between 2500 and 5000 eu per tick.
The thing is that you need big quantities of them and you need smart placement. (not my design)
Of course in a modpack there are many alternatives for power using farm or spawner
unless one builds a skybase, the height requirement renders them useless. Yes you can have batboxes along the way but how goddamned ugly is that? As an aesthetic builder, wind power is useless to ME

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019

I speak mainly for myself here but I'm sure others will agree: I will probably never ever use wind power simply because to use it you have to have a hideous floating spiderweb of intertwined cables and clouds of metal boxes, all with a line of batboxes leading into your base.
To me this is just not an option, and unless Kinglemming adds some kind of IC2-compatible version of the Energy Tesseract they'll remain useless to me.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
unless one builds a skybase, the height requirement renders them useless. Yes you can have batboxes along the way but how goddamned ugly is that? As an aesthetic builder, wind power is useless to ME

Same. Build one once. Puked. Tore it down.

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt energie tesseract for eu will come but who knows.
I personnaly love the look of my windmill with glass and glowstone on top the tower seem cool especially at night, and anything that is big symmetrical and intricate fit my aesthetic. Anyway batboxes are not an option, the only way to transport that many eu in a loss less manner would be greg ultra expensive superconductor thingy or one MFSU (as power produced in turned into 512 packet) every 40 block per 512 eu you got. So if you produce 2000 eu you would need 4 MFSU every 40 block.
IMHO you are better off accept the loss.
But then to each his own when it comes to taste/aesthetic.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
This was back in 1.2.5, I haven't used nuclear since the redesign.

Standard Hull + coal engine + woodcutter module. Design a track with 3 spaces between tracks. advanced detector rail right next to your cargo manager. put cart down, right click, put saplings in woodcutter and coal/logs/combustibles in the engine slot.
done.

Im speaking after the re design, before you were able to make 2050 eu/t... now in DW season 4 of smp he made a max of 300 eu/t