Modpack Versioning

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The Creeperhost guys (Luke) said it might be helpful to people to post the way we tend to do version numbers for modpacks.

First Number = Number of possible intended world resets or major mod removal/addition
  • 1 = first Beta release version
  • 2 = first stable version may require a world reset from full beta
  • 3+ = new major versions that may require a world reset (can't think of any packs we have used that on)
Second Number = Beta vs Stable
  • 0 = Public Beta - used generally while a pack is still undergoing major changes - This number means you have a higher chance of world destroying bugs/resets
  • 1 = Stable - nothing major is expected to change unless the first number changes
  • 2 = Stable - minor pack change - we may have removed a mod or shifted an ID, doesn't require a world restart but things may be odd
Third Number = Which update is it.

So DW20 1.0.23 = First beta release version , Public Beta, unstable and may change, 23rd update

Ag Skies 2.1.6 = First Stable version , 1 possible intended world reset (not counting bugs) , 6th update.

And yes on some occasions we skip a number. That usually means in testing the pack failed so hard we jumped a version.

Not sure how useful it is to y'all but Luke should be happy.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood how your version numbers/system worked before, but this does make things a lot better for me personally...if I see the last digit change then I know it is only a small update and shouldn't break too much...but if I see the first or second digit change..well..all hands on deck!

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood how your version numbers/system worked before, but this does make things a lot better for me personally...if I see the last digit change then I know it is only a small update and shouldn't break too much...but if I see the first or second digit change..well..all hands on deck!

Well if the second number goes from 0 to 1 it will be more stable.

alexschrod

Jul 29, 2019
This is quite different from how versioning is done is software (here's my favorite software version scheme), so thanks for explaining how it works. I guess the thing that differs the most is that there's no possibility of a 0 as the first number. In software, when the first/major version number hits 1, that has the same meaning as when the first modpack version number hits 2...

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Well if the second number goes from 0 to 1 it will be more stable.

On packs like DW20 it did not go from 0 to 1, but now we are already talking about freezing 1.6 packs :D (I was just pulling your leg, honest... don't beat me again.... you've beaten me enough times with that hardcore ag skies map already, please! :p )

Is this scenario sufficient to warrant a "#BlameMojang for all things" social media trending? ;)

Thank you dear. It is definitely a helpful post IMO. Luke was right in asking for this clarification.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
This is quite different from how versioning is done is software (here's my favorite software version scheme), so thanks for explaining how it works. I guess the thing that differs the most is that there's no possibility of a 0 as the first number. In software, when the first/major version number hits 1, that has the same meaning as when the first modpack version number hits 2...

0 versions are always private alphas... but the system hates "0" as the first number :([DOUBLEPOST=1400577011][/DOUBLEPOST]
On packs like DW20 it did not go from 0 to 1, but now we are already talking about into freezing 1.6 packs :D (I was just pulling your leg, honest... don't beat me again.... you've beaten me enough times with that hardcore ag skies map already, please! :p )

Is this scenario sufficient to warrant a "#BlameMojang for all things" social media trending? ;)

Thank you dear. It is definitely a helpful post IMO. Luke was right in asking for this clarification.

Well the DW20 pack keep changing. He keeps adding more mods. Makes it difficult to move it to stable. He doesn't seem to mind *shrug*

Reactions: eashonk

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Does anyone else besides me find it unusual that the forum software for the displayed posts you see first often clips the displayed originating post at an unusual word or phrase, almost intentionally, most of the time?

This time around, for the OP of this thread, the last word displayed was "ag". Make of that what you will ... :D

I have noticed also, regarding the DW20 pack for 1.6.4, that there doesn't seem to be updates whenever a version is fixed or contains fixes for previously broken versions, is there supposed to be any specific nomenclature I should be looking for here?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Pray, my good people, would anyone kindly tell me what this versioning means, on the launcher today? ;)
IAYx1Ad.png

:) I am semi-inclined to believe someone pulled a friendly troll to coincide with the timing of this thread and the new launcher update. :p

Playaah92

Jul 29, 2019
How can you downgrade a launcher version? This launcher version broke my minecraft wich i have spendt ages customizing and putting together. I got to play one whole day before this patch came out and broke it. Please, is there any way to downgrade it? I am 100% sure that it is this update that broke it, cause my friend did'nt update and it works for him.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
How can you downgrade a launcher version? This launcher version broke my minecraft wich i have spendt ages customizing and putting together. I got to play one whole day before this patch came out and broke it. Please, is there any way to downgrade it? I am 100% sure that it is this update that broke it, cause my friend did'nt update and it works for him.
I think Prog and the others are working hard to fix it.

kacpermaslanka

Jul 29, 2019
i cant seem to load a world up because every time i do it freezes and then my minecraft shuts it self down any one know what i can do ???? please help

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Give us some details first... What computer? What version of Java? What version of MC are you trying to run and what mods?

Each are important. Macs have had issues with certain versions of Java, for example.

[Edit: In the future look in the support forum. This thread was to let people know how modpack versions work, not answer questions]