Modded UHC tournament

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should there be a Modded Ultra Hardcore?

• Total voters

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
I was putting together some kind of a post to keep track of what I'm doing with this, although I'm spending a lot of time testing individual mods and seeing how they can be utilised in a UHC environment. Here's the post since I only started it a few hours ago.

Feel free to ask what the hell I was thinking when I considered any of this, I'll try to explain my thoughts.

@FriendlyLion 1.7.10 would be the best version to work with right now - 1.8 would be better with world borders and spectator mode, but unfortunately a lot of key mods aren't updated yet. If you're looking to do something with this, I'd be more than interested in helping.

---

UltraHardCore, referred to as UHC, is a game mode where natural health regeneration is turned off and the only ways in vanilla Minecraft to gain health back is to eat a golden apple or drink a health potion.

Enhanced with some great mods, the UHC game mode can now get even more interesting, with flying machines, better villagers and trades, more weapons than ever before, more ways to heal, and more than you can imagine, this modded UHC modpack will make things more intense than ever.

Note
Here's some of the points to remember when I was putting this list together and testing things:
  • UHC is mainly about player-versus-player combat, so there were no mods added that added new mobs. However it might be nice to have something that gives better or more interesting pets to use for combat.
  • Rounds will last at most 4 hours, so it's not reasonable to expect people to be able to tech up like any ordinary modpack quickly.
  • Low-tech mods were included in this list so that people can have an array of choices in what to do from the get-go.
  • Basing everything on dungeon loot would be incredibly awkward since people could spawn next to a dungeon and get an insanely powerful weapon instantly, it would be much better if people had to tech up at least a little to start getting decent stuff, and leave dungeon loot for little addons like finding spare gold or a useful tool.

Mod List
Here's a list of mods that I think could fit in the pack and am currently testing with, although I'll probably end up removing some of them (such as Lucky Blocks and Factorization).
  • ArmorStatusHUD (optional)
  • DirectionHUD (optional)
  • StatusEffectHUD (optional)
  • Starting Inventory
  • Lucky Blocks (is incredibly overpowered or instantly kills you, there's not really a middle ground that can be achieved with this that things like dungeon loot won't be better for. Perhaps someone can think of some uses that can be put in a custom config?)
  • Deconstruction Table
  • Mine & Blade: Battlegear
  • Ancient Warfare
  • AppleCore
  • Archimedes Ships
  • Biomes O Plenty
  • CodeChickenCore
  • CoFHCore
  • CoFHLib
  • Dense Ores (with more to use them for, may as well let people get a few more ores, will still test though)
  • Ender Storage
  • Ender Utilities
  • Ex Astris
  • Ex Nihilo
  • Extra Utilities
  • Factorization (mainly for the pocket crafting table and slag furnace, although some other mods offer better solutions for this without less baggage)
  • Farseek
  • FastCraft
  • FPSPlus
  • GeoChests
  • Goki Stats
  • Hardcore Questing Mode
  • iBench
  • iChun Util
  • Iguana Tinkers Tweaks
  • InfiniBows
  • Mantle
  • Mekanism
  • Metallurgy
  • Mimicry
  • MineFactory Reloaded
  • MineTweaker
  • ModTweaker
  • Natura
  • Not Enough Items
    • NEI Addons
    • NEI Integration
    • NEI Plugins
  • OpenBlocks
  • OpenModsLib
  • Optifine
  • PlayerAPI
  • QuiverBow
  • Random Things
  • Reliquary
  • Roguelike Dungeons
  • Smart Moving
  • Streams
  • Sync
  • Tinkers Construct
  • Thermal Foundation
    • TiC Tooltips
  • Toolbox
  • TooMuchLoot
  • Torcherino (time is limited, so using a time torch to speed things up significantly will help people a lot)
  • ttCore
  • Utility Mobs
  • WAILA
    • WAILA Harvestability
    • WAILA Plugins
  • Balkon's Weapons

Testing in more depth, to see if they'd fit in the pack, be usable, and what recipes would need to be changed, if any.

• Practicalities
  • Hearts
  • Baubleicious
  • Backpacks
  • EasyCrafting
  • Parachute
  • Enchiridion
  • Compact Armour
  • ElecCore
  • Lumberjack
  • Dual Hotbar
  • Ender Compass
  • Cosmetic Armour
  • Energy Drinks
  • Recall Stones
  • Feed a Friend
  • Shell Armor
  • Progressive Automation
  • Talismans
  • Special Armor
  • Simple Flight
  • MineMenu
  • Damage Screenshots
  • Springboards
  • Iron Backpacks
  • FLORA
  • Healing Altar
  • Adventure Backpack
  • Randomite
  • Crystal Wing
  • Dynamic Sword Skills
  • Experience Ore
  • Antique Atlas
  • Actually Additions

Here is some of the reasoning some mods are added, and some things you can expect to see in the game.

Ancient Warfare adds custom villages. These can contain some loot and animals, but the main purpose is the villagers inside which offer various trades. It may cost you some gold to trade with them, but in return you may be able to get things you couldn't find elsewhere in the world.

There are also various structures and towers around the world that may contain loot that will help you to win the round, although the guards are tough and plenty, so watch out.

4n0dddH.jpg

6YoRrMw.png

Smart Moving opens up a whole new avenue when exploring the luscious new world! You can now crawl through one block gaps, climb up 2 or 3 block high walls, or even take a second to charge your jump and reach up to a 4th block!

2FIuRNL.png

Tinkers' Construct offering, as well as the wide variety of tools and modifiers for them, gravel ores spawning on the surface, so you may even find gold there if you're lucky!

hzskLlP.jpg

Tinkers' Construct again, offering config options for UHC mode, such as setting a bedrock world border, automatically disabling natural health regeneration, and a few other options.

1sVwJhX.jpg

MineFactory Reloaded adds a few different things, and although you may not get into any of the machines, it still offers things to utilise and watch out for, such as sewage and poison throughout the world - don't step into it but pick up a bucket, it might just be better than lava in PvP! There's also rocket launchers, needle guns, and a couple of other utilities waiting to help you out in combat.

LFqKEsE.png

Natura offers some very small features, but some that are much welcome to players rushing in a UHC round. Pick up some berries or barley as you're travelling if you're low on food, grab some cotton if you see it and need string, or even fight off some heatscar spiders in the nether if you're desperate for a bow.

IGlDiuH.jpg

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
Then if no one is here top organize it. I know 2 Friends who can help me with a server and Ill help them get the mods then tell all my friends who have youtube. If any one would like to help me please say so
If you know what you're doing, you've my support

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
I think mekanism is quite unbalanced. You only need 2 diamonds and 2 obsidian plus an easy to craft and power machine to two shot any unarmoured foes, and with osmium armour they're in for a hard time

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
some mods are totally unnecessary, like armour stands, it makes the modpack only heavier and for good purpose. And making a light modpack (or as light as possible), will reduce the changes of major problems and lag. And about the world generation: maybe we should reduce the amount of ores. (and only one type of each, so no 4 types of copper ore). To make it more interesting we could make a portal to mystcraft age with a lot of ores, as an addition to the regular ores in the overworld. We put the portal near centre, but all teams know it and it will be a huge risk going there, and a timer that you can stay in the age for half an hour, so people could be waiting near it.
another idea is to put certain ores in certain parts of the map, so teams get different resources and might need to change their plans, and that could result in a more interesting game

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
I think mekanism is quite unbalanced. You only need 2 diamonds and 2 obsidian plus an easy to craft and power machine to two shot any unarmoured foes, and with osmium armour they're in for a hard time

I completely agree. I was seeing how it would work out with the few utilities it has even if they'd have the recipes changed via minetweaker. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the pack in general though.

some mods are totally unnecessary, like armour stands, it makes the modpack only heavier and for good purpose. And making a light modpack (or as light as possible), will reduce the changes of major problems and lag.

I also agree with this, I'm hoping to be able to keep the modpack with as few mods as possible so am just trying out several possibilities to see what mods might have the same features and which would be more appropriate.

For example, Applied Energistics, Factorization and Metallurgy all add very-early game (cobble-iron level) ore duplication mechanics, although after looking through Curseforge for a long while it seems "Actually Additions" adds one too, as well as a couple of other utilities that would be useful for UHC, without any other clutter.

And about the world generation: maybe we should reduce the amount of ores. (and only one type of each, so no 4 types of copper ore). To make it more interesting we could make a portal to mystcraft age with a lot of ores, as an addition to the regular ores in the overworld. We put the portal near centre, but all teams know it and it will be a huge risk going there, and a timer that you can stay in the age for half an hour, so people could be waiting near it.
another idea is to put certain ores in certain parts of the map, so teams get different resources and might need to change their plans, and that could result in a more interesting game

I'm not quite sure if MystCraft ages would be a great idea - people will be playing for a limited time anyway so why not just make ores spawn in the overworld if anywhere?

With a bit of tweaking I'm not sure any more overworld ores would even be needed other than tin, copper, and possibly aluminium. Inventory clutter is already a problem in vanilla, and that won't get any easier with mods.

As for only putting certain ores in certain parts of the maps, I'm not sure how well that would work out considering UHC maps are often limited to a small size so not all biomes will be around, but ontop of that there isn't really a need for any more ores so it's kinda useless.

Last edited:

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
I completely agree. I was seeing how it would work out with the few utilities it has even if they'd have the recipes changed via minetweaker. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the pack in general though.

I also agree with this, I'm hoping to be able to keep the modpack with as few mods as possible so am just trying out several possibilities to see what mods might have the same features and which would be more appropriate.

For example, Applied Energistics, Factorization and Metallurgy all add very-early game (cobble-iron level) ore duplication mechanics, although after looking through Curseforge for a long while it seems "Actually Additions" adds one too, as well as a couple of other utilities that would be useful for UHC, without any other clutter.

I'm not quite sure if MystCraft ages would be a great idea - people will be playing for a limited time anyway so why not just make ores spawn in the overworld if anywhere?

With a bit of tweaking I'm not sure any more overworld ores would even be needed other than tin, copper, and possibly aluminium. Inventory clutter is already a problem in vanilla, and that won't get any easier with mods.

As for only putting certain ores in certain parts of the maps, I'm not sure how well that would work out considering UHC maps are often limited to a small size so not all biomes will be around, but ontop of that there isn't really a need for any more ores so it's kinda useless.
Ah I wasn't quite clear what I meant, I see. I only used the ores as an example of resources. it could be anything, for example only 5 rubber trees in the map, so in the rare case you would do any thing with IC² (unlikely) or mfr (unlikely) you would need the rubber, but when you plan for doing it,but you can't get the rubber, you need to resort to plan b or c, and i think that that would increase the game for viewers. Another example: replace all underground lavalakes with some brown (useless) stuff, all but those near centre, so when people need lava the would need to go to the centre, so either take the risk and continue with your plan or change the plan and surprise the audience (and opposition). Both could make for some more interesting game play

FriendlyLion

Jul 29, 2019
I completely agree with intresting game play if someone would record it would most likely be a live stream or youtube with lots of edits to make sure it is not boring I would also think people might get overpowered with the dungeons without new ones added, on the other hand I would make people mining for a long time in the game and that is never fun so I could just change the spawn rate of the dungeons or make very few in world.

I play UHC a lot and have found an End dungeon. Is that normally in the game and if so could I make it to where it spawns near the middle?

Does anyone know some good programs with editing mods?

Im making and testing the modpack now

How come no one has mentioned optifine in modpack lists?

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with this kind of idea, that would make things interesting. One similar thing I thought about was making apple tree saplings from Biomes O Plenty spawn rarely in dungeon chests - if you happen to get one then you could be set for apples with a little bit of effort.

I play UHC a lot and have found an End dungeon. Is that normally in the game and if so could I make it to where it spawns near the middle?

You could just center the map borders and spawns around the stronghold if you wanted. SethBling made a tutorial for setting up UHC rounds which would let you do this if you really wanted.

Does anyone know some good programs with editing mods?

Im making and testing the modpack now

MultiMC?

How come no one has mentioned optifine in modpack lists?

Because the Optifine license doesn't allow it to be redistributed at all in modpacks, if people want it they have to add it themselves separately. The only way around that would be using ATLauncher's remote downloads feature.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
So, is there going to actually be a tournament? This is a idea I have been waiting for years to come to the surface.

FriendlyLion

Jul 29, 2019
So, is there going to actually be a tournament? This is a idea I have been waiting for years to come to the surface.
Hopefully soon I have to find a seed and find another server owner. possibly since I didnt want to be friends with a server owner that hax.

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
We've not even decided on a set mod list or know what we need yet - the server isn't a problem at all at this stage. I'd be more than happy to pay for a server myself if people are genuinely interested in this and it's properly organised. Similarly because we've not agreed on a mod list we don't know what world generation there'll be - do we need something like Biomes O Plenty to liven up the landscape people will be running around in, should it stick with vanilla, should there be any other biome or terrain generation mod? Why bother look for a seed now if it'll be useless with the mods used in the end?

Out of curiosity, are you genuinely interested in getting this together? You haven't replied to any of the posts genuinely talking about the mods or pack but seem to just be skipping to the end assuming everything else is done (and it's not, there's a lot of other things to do).

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, maybe spice of life + pam's harvestcraft should be in this. It's not like the rounds won't be long enough so that you have to make a bunch of farms. With natura berrys, easy to get vanilla things like apples, which can be juiced, pumpkin pie, meats, as well as mutton because of Pam's, as well as a bunch of easy to get pam's stuff like stock, grilled mushroom, toast, burgers, loaded potatoes. Theres so many options I think you'd be able to last the round without starving. So yeah, add that :)

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, maybe spice of life + pam's harvestcraft should be in this. It's not like the rounds won't be long enough so that you have to make a bunch of farms. With natura berrys, easy to get vanilla things like apples, which can be juiced, pumpkin pie, meats, as well as mutton because of Pam's, as well as a bunch of easy to get pam's stuff like stock, grilled mushroom, toast, burgers, loaded potatoes. Theres so many options I think you'd be able to last the round without starving. So yeah, add that :)

Pam's Harvestcraft could be an interesting option for things like the gardens around, although all of the basic food only gives half or one hunger shank back so they're mostly useless, added to the fact the issue of inventory clutter and no time to worry about processing or crafting any food when you could spend the time getting useful resources, I don't think it'd necessarily be the best to add, especially since a few other mods already add their own food (Natura berries for one primary example) and the modpack should be kept as small as possible to prevent any kind of lag.

Spice of Life could be another interesting option though, making people look for multiple sources of food rather than just kill a 10 cows and be done with it. If it were to be added, it'd need to be a lot fairer than the default configs the mod offers.

I think sticking w/ vanilla biomes in the easiest, because its more familiar.

I considered adding Biomes O Plenty for a couple of reasons, but obviously if it were added in the final pack it'd need to have most biomes disabled so vital things (like oak trees) still spawn frequently.
  • There are a few utilities there, such as the apple trees from orchard biomes. If Orchard biomes were there they'd be extremely overpowered, but being able to add in the saplings as dungeon loot could be interesting.
  • Biomes O Plenty (and other biome mods) add some interesting terrain. I opted against things like ATG and BWG because they both add tall mountains and terrain that is awful to explore without speed and/or a jetpack, which would really leave less time to actual UHC activities.
  • Some new biomes would be nice for resources or battles. A bow battle dodging around the spires in a wasteland would be interesting, for one example.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Something much better than Mystcraft for a "resource location" would be RfTools.

RfTools dimensions are about as flexible as mystcraft, but they have one nice feature for this: the RfDims have a built-in time limit, and if you stay in there too long, you die when the power runs out.

Further, in a short period of time, while you _could_ make another access device, there's a very good chance that you won't be able to -- so there's a single choke point. And if you've ever read some good SciFi (ahem "The Mote in God's Eye" / "The Gripping Hand"), you'll realize that you can fight your blockade/choke point on either side of the device. The first through can fight off intruders, but even those have to be careful trying to come home.

FriendlyLion

Jul 29, 2019
Which mod is the one where you use pylons and can move areas around,Applied energestics?

I think I made the modpack? I would need someone and myself to test to make sure its not overpowered at all.

Last edited:

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
Something much better than Mystcraft for a "resource location" would be RfTools.

RfTools dimensions are about as flexible as mystcraft, but they have one nice feature for this: the RfDims have a built-in time limit, and if you stay in there too long, you die when the power runs out.

Further, in a short period of time, while you _could_ make another access device, there's a very good chance that you won't be able to -- so there's a single choke point. And if you've ever read some good SciFi (ahem "The Mote in God's Eye" / "The Gripping Hand"), you'll realize that you can fight your blockade/choke point on either side of the device. The first through can fight off intruders, but even those have to be careful trying to come home.

If there's to be a dedicated place to get more ores, perhaps it would make more sense to make use of nether ores and the nether? You'd have the added bonus of being able to spot ores easily and get double the ore per block, but still have to worry about all the dangers of the nether and explosions. Another one to consider would be the deep dark (since extra utilities is bound to be in the pack for various things anyway), giving tougher mobs, damaging you in the darkness, having double the ore generation, having to make a large drop once you get there so needing to prepare properly for that to not take damage, and having dungeons that could give amazing loot or have the mobs kill you if you're not super careful.

Which mod is the one where you use pylons and can move areas around,Applied energestics?

Would the 'You will die' mod be good?

Applied Energistics does that yes, but it's a hassle to set up and for the purposes of UHC it wouldn't make much sense considering how much other useless stuff Applied Energistics ads (for UHC use). One alternative I talked about above somewhere is GeoChests, which offers the ability to pack up a part of the world and keep it in a block, then place it back down somewhere else.

"You Will Die" seems like an interesting choice, linking it here for people.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-the-you-will-die-mod-rogue-like-mod-v0-0-3f/
Either way, I think this would need thorough testing before deciding whether to put it in, it could change the entire style of gameplay.

Last edited:

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I see a problem forming here:
we are talking about different things (different aspects) which all relate, but shouldn't be discussed in a single conversation. We should probably set up some more threads, one about the modpack, one about the server, one about this, one about that, etc. So now the question is: how?
1) should I make more threads all named similar ("MUHC - mods", "MUHC - Server", etc.) (and I, because it will be more easily recognized since I don't make any other threads, so where my avatar is, is MUHC).
2) Should we make a subreddit (although i doubt that everyone here knows how to reddit),
3) should we ask the admin/moderators here to add a subforum for MUHC,
4) should we move to another site, dedicated to MUHC (which i could setup in a two or three days, but everyone who potentially wanted to discuss something about MUHC would need to make an account and that just seems like an hassle to me).
5) something else?

I think the first one is the best option, but i'd like some more opinions

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I see a problem forming here:
we are talking about different things (different aspects) which all relate, but shouldn't be discussed in a single conversation. We should probably set up some more threads, one about the modpack, one about the server, one about this, one about that, etc. So now the question is: how?
I'm not even sure why we're discussing a server yet, to be honest. We can do nothing about a server without knowing what mods we have, how many players there'll be in that first tournament, how much RAM we'll need to keep everything running smoothly for the players with that many mods, if we'll need to set the server up to be reused (and if that'd be automatic or not so anyone can join in), etc. There's a lot of other things to organise before we need to even discuss a server.

1) should I make more threads all named similar ("MUHC - mods", "MUHC - Server", etc.) (and I, because it will be more easily recognized since I don't make any other threads, so where my avatar is, is MUHC).
I don't really see a problem with it all being in one thread for now. Even if we're talking about slightly different things it's all related to MUHC and there's only been one page of posts here in the past week anyway, it's easy enough to keep track of.

2) Should we make a subreddit (although i doubt that everyone here knows how to reddit),
I can't see a subreddit being active or useful right now, I think we need to just get things off the ground to begin with.

3) should we ask the admin/moderators here to add a subforum for MUHC,
Again, I don't see the use of a board to discuss things that can be covered in a single thread.

4) should we move to another site, dedicated to MUHC (which i could setup in a two or three days, but everyone who potentially wanted to discuss something about MUHC would need to make an account and that just seems like an hassle to me).
This would be an option at some point, but only if things take off really well. I don't think the MUHC community even if it goes insanely well would get bigger than a need for a subreddit.

5) something else?
5) Stick with this for now.