Modded UHC tournament

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should there be a Modded Ultra Hardcore?

• Total voters

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Are you thinking of a map to go along with the mod pack, with bedrock walls already placed at 2000x2000?

Also, 5 to 10 hours? Damn. Who wants to play UHC for 10 hours straight? Can we add some mods to force combat?

Mindcrack does still do regular UHC's, so you have that going for you. Unfortunately, judging by the small amount that play on Crack The Beast as opposed to the vanilla Mindcrack server, not all of them have the time, interest, or familiarity with the mods to play FTB in any form.

1. No map, but we can use TiC to generate a Bedrock wall at a certain point.
2. I hope I'm not the only one.
3. They'll be other gamers out there anyway.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
1. No map, but we can use TiC to generate a Bedrock wall at a certain point.
2. I hope I'm not the only one.
3. They'll be other gamers out there anyway.

To solve the 10 hour problem...

Is there any mod we can use to progressively inch the bedrock wall closer to (0,0) ?

If not that, then provide some kind of "incentive" to be away from the edges, and have that "incentive" draw closer and closer to (0,0)? By this I mean some kind of potion effect (nausea and eventual poison?), or perhaps some ungodly horde of mobs?

If you don't want to go fancy, maybe use command blocks to simply clear all terrain near the edges, one chunk at a time, then have that inch closer to spawn?

Not entirely sure how plausible some of these are, though.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
To solve the 10 hour problem...

Is there any mod we can use to progressively inch the bedrock wall closer to (0,0) ?

If not that, then provide some kind of "incentive" to be away from the edges, and have that "incentive" draw closer and closer to (0,0)? By this I mean some kind of potion effect (nausea and eventual poison?), or perhaps some ungodly horde of mobs?

If you don't want to go fancy, maybe use command blocks to simply clear all terrain near the edges, one chunk at a time, then have that inch closer to spawn?

Not entirely sure how plausible some of these are, though.

Could just have a deathmatch that TPs all players to spawn.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
perhaps some ungodly horde of mobs?

some kind of potion effect (nausea and eventual poison?)

progressively inch the bedrock wall closer to (0,0)

And then...

So boring... I guess it'll work. But the ungodly horde!

I approve of a deathmatch. It'd be good to put a max time limit on UHC. Are you thinking a set time (i.e. 6 hours every game?), or more like a random chance with a minimum and maximum range?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
And then...

So boring... I guess it'll work. But the ungodly horde!

I approve of a deathmatch. It'd be good to put a max time limit on UHC. Are you thinking a set time (i.e. 6 hours every game?), or more like a random chance with a minimum and maximum range?
Sure. This may make MFFS justifiable. Maybe we need to make a really large arena for people to fight in.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Sure. This may make MFFS justifiable. Maybe we need to make a really large arena for people to fight in.

How would this help the case for MFFS?

Also, if you're going by the deathmatch system, there needs to be some way to encourage fighting before the deathmatch. Otherwise people will just cave & craft, waiting out the timer.

Perhaps dead players drop something more than what they have in their inventory, like a player head that heals, or some other reward?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
As for generating ores using COG, I'd personally rather use TPPI's method of Ore Gen and increase spawns, but I think it's import others have their own say on this.

What is TPPI, and what is its method of ore gen?

===

If you want to force people in towards 0,0, you could use some sort of decay-like block that spreads slowly, and is seeded out at the edges.

If you are looking for a 5 hour timeframe, and you are going to start with a 2K by 2K grid, then you are basically saying that the decay should spread from +1000 to +200, or about 800 blocks in 5 hours, 300 minutes, 6000 ticks ... roughly spread one block every ten ticks? Maybe seed out around 1100-ish?

Dang, that might just be the current spread rate of purple decay or blue/red decay.

Which brings up an interesting idea ... (You'd need a modified version that spreads in the air just as well, or caves would be a nice place to hide out, and purple/blue/red don't hurt you, they just ruin the ores/resources in the ground. Blue/red: one spreads based on mining toughness, the other based on explosion resistance ... identical in most cases.)

Reactions: Shazam08

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to force people in towards 0,0, you could use some sort of decay-like block that spreads slowly, and is seeded out at the edges.

If you are looking for a 5 hour timeframe, and you are going to start with a 2K by 2K grid, then you are basically saying that the decay should spread from +1000 to +200, or about 800 blocks in 5 hours, 300 minutes, 6000 ticks ... roughly spread one block every ten ticks? Maybe seed out around 1100-ish?

Dang, that might just be the current spread rate of purple decay or blue/red decay.

Which brings up an interesting idea ... (You'd need a modified version that spreads in the air just as well, or caves would be a nice place to hide out, and purple/blue/red don't hurt you, they just ruin the ores/resources in the ground. Blue/red: one spreads based on mining toughness, the other based on explosion resistance ... identical in most cases.)

^This guy knows.

See, Mevan? That's how it's done.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
How would this help the case for MFFS?

Also, if you're going by the deathmatch system, there needs to be some way to encourage fighting before the deathmatch. Otherwise people will just cave & craft, waiting out the timer.

Perhaps dead players drop something more than what they have in their inventory, like a player head that heals, or some other reward?

Hmm. Toughie. Maybe if we force exploration then people'd be likely to run into each other.[DOUBLEPOST=1395018919][/DOUBLEPOST]
^This guy knows.

See, Mevan? That's how it's done.
What is TPPI, and what is its method of ore gen?

===

Big problem with this. It requires another non-existant mod. Unless someone can find this mod then it's impossible to do this.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
"Test pack, please ignore"???

Oh: My idea of colored decay won't work. It only spreads when loaded, and won't be loaded enough, most likely.

White becomes the best answer. If you want people to go out to 1000, and loaded chunks from a player at 1000 go out to 1200, then seed white at 1200. Anyone can force white decay to start spreading into the arena, so at any time, anyone can force the trek into the "middle".

And even better: You can't just make a fortress at 0,0, because the final fight won't be at 0,0 unless the white is "led" in from opposite directions at the same speed.[DOUBLEPOST=1395019121][/DOUBLEPOST]Har! "~33 people who didn't listen to the title".

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Two ores that only spawn below lava? And one that spawns mostly at Y=2?
Err, Y=1 -- you're counting the bedrock at 0, not 1.

Big problem with this. It requires another non-existant mod. Unless someone can find this mod then it's impossible to do this.
Set the whole thing in a mystcraft age. With "Native Biome Controller", you can make it identical to the overworld. Can't do ATG (it generates differently); not sure if you can do a highlands world or not (I think you can).

ATG does not generate land based on the biome; native biome controller pretty much requires that. Does Highland generate land based on the biome (with just a bigger set of biomes)?

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019

GOOGLE ENGAGE!

The decay blocks are from Mystcraft, actually. They naturally appear in an unstable Age, but they could probably be applied to the Overworld with few problems.

"But Mystcraft is bad for UHC! Too many dimensions!"

That's why I suggested Minetweaker! If we disable the descriptive book recipe, Mystcraft can exist in the pack but not allow dimensional travel!

EDIT: I've been ninja'd by keybounce!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Decay blocks do not spread in dimension 0. I tried that a long time ago :).

... and I just realized, I never tried the nether.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Decay blocks do not spread in dimension 0. I tried that a long time ago :).

... and I just realized, I never tried the nether.

Damn. Is there any way around that? Config option, maybe?

Oh well. If it works in a Myst age similar to the Overworld, then no big deal.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I feel everybody should start with basic tools and food.

If this isn't too cheaty: Iron Shovel, Iron Sword, Iron Pickaxe, Cheated Thauminomicon, Iron Hammer, Wood Armour.[DOUBLEPOST=1394970267][/DOUBLEPOST]If I get permissions this week and we successfully narrow down the modlist, I can certainly get the pack released on the FTB Launcher. Although some of the mods already need an update.
Honestly, I think let everyone get their own starting stuff

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I think let everyone get their own starting stuff

I agree with you about the iron tools. Let people gear up themselves, and make PvE a factor at the start.

But the cheated Thaumonomicon is actually going to benefit the game, IMO. It will cut out the time-consuming research part of Thaumcraft, which will help slim down the length of UHC. Players will be caving and fighting, rather than staring at a research table for an hour. On top of that, the cheated Thaumonomicon will make TT Kami into a viable option, if players are willing to get that far in the mod.

Is there any such thing as a cheated Arcane Compendium? The AM2 spells can take a while to be relevant.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you about the iron tools. Let people gear up themselves, and make PvE a factor at the start.

But the cheated Thaumonomicon is actually going to benefit the game, IMO. It will cut out the time-consuming research part of Thaumcraft, which will help slim down the length of UHC. Players will be caving and fighting, rather than staring at a research table for an hour. On top of that, the cheated Thaumonomicon will make TT Kami into a viable option, if players are willing to get that far in the mod.

Is there any such thing as a cheated Arcane Compendium? The AM2 spells can take a while to be relevant.

Unfortunately not, that kind of makes AM impractical doesn't it. I think there might be a command though.

Eadorimthryth

Jul 29, 2019
WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

Bibliocraft, as well as it's three add-ons, are purely aesthetic and wouldn't have much purpose in a UHC. Same with Carpenter's Blocks and Chisel.

You have Biomes O' Plenty, Highlands, and Advanced Terrain Generation listed, all of which majorly modify the terrain. Are those compatible with each other? Would you be okay narrowing it down to one?

If you won't be using AE for its storage capabilities, get rid of its add-on Extra Cells.

Atomic Science seems too late game.

Hardcore Ender Expansion, while cool, wouldn't be used much. Does anyone actually go to the End in UHC if that isn't the goal of the season?

Any kind of map mod, because you shouldn't be able to see players sneaking up on you on a minimap. This was disabled in Crack The Beast for the same reason.

Damage Indicators...eh. Borderline. You'd be able to tell how much health a target had before you fought.

I don't know enough about Magical Crops to condemn it, but reconsider if you want people being able to grow resources.

Railcraft, Railcraft Dusts, and WRCBE probably won't be used at all.

Enhanced Portals. It's more of a "slightly more convenient portals" mod, rather than a "super awesome deadly portals" mod.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you make an updated mod list? That would really be helpful.
In the Mindcrack Ultra Hard Core the players are given scoreboard objectives linked to their health, so damage indicators aren't that cheaty compared to the mindcrack UHC.
I'm thinking one big event, then we turn it into a mini game server. I would like games to last between 5 and 10 hours. If we can get big people like the Mindcrack guys to play it, that'd be good.
Yeah! minigameserver! Sounds awesome, i was thinking of that too, but than again: i am chaotic and forget stuff. But for a server which is more than an arena aesthetic-based mods, like chisel and bibliographic, is quite useful. Also doesn't bibliocraft allow you to copy enchantment books?[DOUBLEPOST=1395075649][/DOUBLEPOST]We could also add Ars Magica spells in dungeon loot, or maybe those orbs which allow you to unlock skills. And for the terrain: there should be extra structures generated, like infusion altars and AM Nexis or TC smelters...