Mod Pack Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
NJM thanks for the info.

Hmmm... seems I didn't ask my question correctly. Let me rephrase. Captainnana, Is it possible for the FTB team to put the modpack in a backup location while they work on fixing the issue with the primary location(s). Thanks to NJM I now know I can pick a location to download a pack. I will assume the locations listed are considered primary and points to the current repo. Is there a backup repo or a way to put the pack in a different location and/or allow us to DL it. Again, not being impatient just throwing an idea out there.

The repo is a collection of 6 servers, the main upload server which is where I upload the files to and 5 distribution servers which is what you see forward facing. The issue is that when I upload the files to the main repo it is supposed to sync the file to each server and take a hash of the file so that we can ensure that the file is the same when it ends up at your clients. The issue is firstly, the repo is not syncing up correctly, this is a problem we can work around but is still an issue for us, the second issue is the one causing the problem, the file that we upload is not getting hashed so we can't validate to ensure file integrity. So essentially no we cant use backup servers, the issue is not that our servers are broken, overloaded or down; the issue is that we cant change or upload files correctly so this is the cause of the delay.

Why release 1.5.x if you can keep streaming it and have people watch and subscribe to you? That seems more profitable then releasing a beta, because then it's not like they'll stream 1.6.. not for awhile anyways. And although I like to keep a stream on in the background.. I may be more inclined to watch other people besides slowpoke and the like... Just saying.

Go watch other people then, the mods are public you can go right ahead and download them just like slowpoke did.

PS. A lot more people view FTB streams when we release rather than when we wait so that is false anyways...

RoloisRight

Jul 29, 2019
...snip...

Would it be possible to get a "no pack yet" update like you mentioned in an earlier post instead of an estimated release date? "No pack today" or "no pack this week" would help some of us out a lot. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's checking these forums, streams, twitters and etc several times a day for any new updates on the pack. I've even been afking in IRC 24/7 in case news happens to break there first.

I know Slowpoke was being optimistic (and I'm sure he meant well) when he set the target date of April 29 in his previous new post, but that information has spiraled out of control. Lots of players decided to abandon servers and maps until a 1.5 update and those that haven't are constantly asking when we're updating. Normally I'm not one of those people that wants the latest and greatest, but after Slowpoke's news post, I got my hopes up for an update coming soon. To add to that feeling, I've been watching the 1.5 streams which have sucked me in even more on wanting that update. I've started to annoy myself because of it.

Realistically, yes, I can set up my own pack, but that's not what I enjoy. I enjoy playing what everyone else is playing (and "everyone" wants to be playing 1.5). Everyone using the same pack makes talking about the game a lot more fun. Additionally, even if I make my own pack, getting other people on the server to get that same pack working is no easy task.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to get a "no pack yet" update like you mentioned in an earlier post instead of an estimated release date? "No pack today" or "no pack this week" would help some of us out a lot.

I normally don't post on these threads as it is usually useless to get people to see my point of view (which is to wait and not demand for something we don't pay.)

However, to your point above I would like to add the following: I'm sure the FTB team is working diligently and daily on getting whatever isn't working fixed, which means that at any hour they might be able to locate the error/bug/problem and fix/repair/replace it. Therefore, it would be unwise to say "Today we will not be releasing the pack" since at any hour any day advances could be made.

No ETAs whether for releases or non-releases is the best approach.

MethticalOD

Jul 29, 2019
Go watch other people then, the mods are public you can go right ahead and download them just like slowpoke did.

I was under the assumption that many of the mods they used on the forgecraft were under private beta...

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to get a "no pack yet" update like you mentioned in an earlier post instead of an estimated release date? "No pack today" or "no pack this week" would help some of us out a lot. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's checking these forums, streams, twitters and etc several times a day for any new updates on the pack. I've even been afking in IRC 24/7 in case news happens to break there first.

I know Slowpoke was being optimistic (and I'm sure he meant well) when he set the target date of April 29 in his previous new post, but that information has spiraled out of control. Lots of players decided to abandon servers and maps until a 1.5 update and those that haven't are constantly asking when we're updating. Normally I'm not one of those people that wants the latest and greatest, but after Slowpoke's news post, I got my hopes up for an update coming soon. To add to that feeling, I've been watching the 1.5 streams which have sucked me in even more on wanting that update. I've started to annoy myself because of it.

Realistically, yes, I can set up my own pack, but that's not what I enjoy. I enjoy playing what everyone else is playing (and "everyone" wants to be playing 1.5). Everyone using the same pack makes talking about the game a lot more fun. Additionally, even if I make my own pack, getting other people on the server to get that same pack working is no easy task.

As QueWhat said I have no idea when it'll be fixed, could be an hour could be a day could be a week etc all I know is that when I am happy with it I'll release it and not until then. Also if I were to say "no pack this week" that can be interpreted as me saying there will be one after this week which is the problem we have had in the past. I will be notifying of release/beta in most of the standard places incrementally starting with the smallest then working up if no problems are found as we generally do.

I was under the assumption that many of the mods they used on the forgecraft were under private beta...

Well I'm obviously not on forgecraft and I would say I have all but maybe two mods that I don't really care about so nope that isn't the case at all.

Utumno

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you that its possible, but there are 2 problems with it. 1. Repo's cost money, i mean you cant put something as large and as popular as the FTB Modpack up on mediafire or dropbox and expect it to stay up for long. 2. The upload is fine according to what they said earlier on reddit, but the download from the Repo is having issues. Its not something that anyone but the people running the repo (creeperhost i beleive) can fix. And server hosting company's are notorious for there sluggish customer service so we could be waiting a bit. (that is not so say creeperhost is bad i have no experience with them but if its a network issue they are probably swimming in support requests and they can only work so fast)

*Edit* Judging by the fact that part of there network seems to have been down for almost half a month i would say they are experiencing some major issues. https://www.creeperhost.net/observium.php

So the take away from this is that if it takes creeperhost 2 weeks to address a network node problem, give no ETA to a group that is giving them free advertisment and referrals then its pretty sure bet that if something goes wrong with a server you are renting from them for minecraft/ftb you can just forget about any kind of support or at least forget about getting support in under a month.

Powersthatbe85

Jul 29, 2019
So the take away from this is that if it takes creeperhost 2 weeks to address a network node problem, give no ETA to a group that is giving them free advertisment and referrals then its pretty sure bet that if something goes wrong with a server you are rent from them for minecraft/ftb you can just forget about any kind of support or at least forget about getting support in under a month.

Creeperhost seems very good about their response and help with Servers. I've had 4 different hosting groups and they are by far the best. But yeah this is a valid point and kinda worries me.

Gamabunta00

Jul 29, 2019
So the take away from this is that if it takes creeperhost 2 weeks to address a network node problem, give no ETA to a group that is giving them free advertisment and referrals then its pretty sure bet that if something goes wrong with a server you are renting from them for minecraft/ftb you can just forget about any kind of support or at least forget about getting support in under a month.

The funny part is they seem to have fixed it so now i just look crazy to anyone who didnt get the link before the server that was down for 11 days was fixed XD

Also WOOT!!! good to see you guys got the problem fixed :D Was that the reason the Direwolf20 Maps were not showing up? Or is that unrelated?

Powersthatbe85

Jul 29, 2019
I know everyone is excited for the 1.5.2 update, but I'm more excited about the 1.4.7 updates that bring bug fixes and the larger fusion reactor from gregtech.

Cman333

Jul 29, 2019
The repo issue is now fixed we are currently working on getting some extra mods that updated in the last few days in/updated then we will be able to release provided there are no other issues.
Finally! Our prayers have (hopefully) been answered! This is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.