Mod Pack Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPfencer

Jul 29, 2019
When exactely did he say it? Looking for one sentence in such a long stream is like searching for a needle in a haystack ;)

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I'll make him stop streaming soon and get to work on it XD, I don't want to guarantee that there will be a build tomorrow because there may be bugs in the build that mean we cant release it but we aim to have it up as a private pack soon.

sheepripper

Jul 29, 2019
I'll make him stop streaming soon and get to work on it XD, I don't want to guarantee that there will be a build tomorrow because there may be bugs in the build that mean we cant release it but we aim to have it up as a private pack soon.
ok who is gonna get password for private pack?

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
It's a shame that people like you care more about the forums than about the game. Yeah, an open beta would mean messy forums, but it would also mean that way more people are testing the modpack. Even if just a tiny fraction of players report the bugs, as they should, the mod developers would still get way more feedback from it, than they get now from those couple of choosen testers.

It's comforting to know people jump to conclusions like you did. I never said I care more about the forums than the game and, frankly, I don't see where you make that leap. I believe the crux of your comment is based on this statement, "I would never suggest they have an open beta program because, IMHO, most people do not have an idea what beta testing entails and this would just open up a giant can or worms that no one should have to deal with...lol." You seem to completely ignore the first part of this statement so let me break it down for you. Having an open beta is a bad idea because "most people do not have an idea what beta testing entails...". A beta testers job IS reporting bugs in a structured verifiable way. An open beta will just result in a bunch of people bitching on the forums, (a point many others have made), and tax an infrastructure that's not in a position to handle the deluge of crap that an open beta brings. Furthermore, mod developers need QUALITY FEEDBACK that is verifiable and well written. Here's an example of quality feedback:

Mod: Happy fun time
Version: beta 55.0
Platform: Windows 7
Modpack: Ultimate Infinity Pack for noobs
Date of bug: Dec 7, 1842
Type of bug: Missing Item/Recipe
Bug: The T-14 hyperdrive is not producing the listed power.
Is the bug repeatable: I started a creative world and placed the t-14, gave it max fuel and activated it. I used the T-14 energy reader and it's showing 3 microns instead of the listed 5.
Screenshot: insufficient T-14 energy.jpg

Example of feedback during an open beta: T14 Y U NO Work!!

Developers need quality feedback not more for more's sake.

The ABSOLUTE last thing these forums need is more people bitching about mods, packs, developers, and everything else under the sun. If you want that then go read WoW forums. Here we want the FTB team to be as successful as possible and that can only happen when quality comments are produced from the community.

To the FTB team: I appreciate the hard work you are doing to get these complicated mod packs out for me to enjoy. I encourage you to keep away from our BS and ignore the negative comments that are spewed at you on a daily basis. You gals/guys are awesome with a big ole side of awesome.

Damoklesz, have a nice day.

Everlast

Jul 29, 2019
Example of feedback during an open beta: T14 Y U NO Work!!

That's some fine generalization you made there, stop throwing us all in the same bag. Even if there are useless posts, so what? Skip over and read the ones that matter.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Sertas is correct devs need the bugs in a format that suits them not the bug tester most have a form that can be filled out, this then means they can find, recreate & fix with as little disruption to there normal daily work load possible, & as stated a couple of times the first beta pack was plagued with whining about this & that bug & there were so many there was a lot of topics that became a mess & often flame treads.

If the price is to wait a little longer or a month longer so be it, like with RP dont rush the dev or you end up with some what less than it could have been, if elo had been let do her thing (that being dont release until bug 99% bug free) then rp would still be the #1 must have mod for us all.

Lets move forwards not backwards.

Reactions: Sertas

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
That's some fine generalization you made there, stop throwing us all in the same bag. Even if there are useless posts, so what? Skip over and read the ones that matter.

Everlast, I wasn't throwing ANYONE in any bag. I am simply stating that a TON of comments in an open beta will be terse, short and not provide any quality feedback. The comment you are quoting is an EXAMPLE of a post during an open beta. There are many more, read this thread for instance, and you'll find them. Further your suggestion to, "Skip over and read the ones that matter." just clogs up the process. Developers do not have time to wade through a bunch of BS to get to the quality parts.

Example: I want a juicy steak. Should I:
  1. Find a cow, slaughter it, dress it , butcher it, clean it, season it, cook it, then eat, or
  2. Find a quality butchershop, select a fine piece of meat, season it, then cook, or
  3. Find a quality steak house, order steak, eat.
Which is better? I'm thinking option 2 and 3 are much better options because the quality is already there. Developers want to eat quality posts not wade through a field of shit just to find the good stuff. And, we shouldn't expect them too since they are doing all these lovely things for you to enjoy FOR FREE.
Quality begets Quality
Crap begets....[DOUBLEPOST=1368989872][/DOUBLEPOST]I love these forums. Spirited debate is so soothing.

Everlast

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking option 2 and 3 are much better options because the quality is already there.

Except your whole premise is wrong, since they could just as well ignore all bug reports and it'd be exactly the same as now when the community doesn't have access to the mod pack. Thus, it wouldn't clog anything, as you eloquently put it, except allow the adventurous members to try the pack before it's full release.

Status
Not open for further replies.