• Tinker's Construct

Votes: 38 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMan2505

Jul 29, 2019
I think both of you, NJM1564 and Caesura, need to understand that Minecraft is not meant to be played in a specific way. Yes, some people like to get it the simpler way and some people like taking more time. Minecraft is really in no way have a specific journey for you to follow. Modpacks are meant to add fun to the game itself and be creative. This is why there is a lot more than one modpack in FTB. It's designed for all players to be creative. Stop arguing about this and realize people are entitled to their own opinion.

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
I think both of you, NJM1564 and Caesura, need to understand that Minecraft is not meant to be played in a specific way. Yes, some people like to get it the simpler way and some people like taking more time. Minecraft is really in no way have a specific journey for you to follow. Modpacks are meant to add fun to the game itself and be creative. This is why there is a lot more than one modpack in FTB. It's designed for all players to be creative. Stop arguing about this and realize people are entitled to their own opinion.

We're entitled to argue our opinions, it was interesting to argue against NJ as I could see what issues people might have with such a modpack. I realise minecraft is not meant to be played in a specific way, but a lot of people do play it in a specific way that follows the quickest way to get to higher tier armour and tools, and then just fly around messing around for a while and leave. What I'm saying is that I'd like a modpack that is hardcore in these senses, just as we have Blood n Bones and whatnot that *forces* players to concentrate on food and PvNPC methods and tools so they can survive. I think that's a really cool idea, and no one seemed to have an issue with players being forced to do things in that pack. Is it so wrong to have a hardcore transport/resource pack? I believe it would just make a far more interesting environment.

Reactions: Padfoote

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
Only if you also disable non-players going through portals.

Do minecarts go through portals now? I haven't experimented with that since Mindcrack. I can't think of any other things that could carry lava through a portal...

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Do minecarts go through portals now? I haven't experimented with that since Mindcrack. I can't think of any other things that could carry lava through a portal...
Most entities can, since 1.4. That includes minecarts, animals, hostile mobs, dropped items, ...

Reactions: CuteTurret

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
And yet that would still be more difficult to actually abuse and far more interesting too, so imo that's not bad.
It is actually pretty simple to do. The only "hard" thing is that you have to work around the cool down that entity's have if you use nether portals which is not even that hard.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

EnderIO recently added a special teleportation track. While not "through a portal" per se, it is effectively it's own portal.

DW20's use:

Last edited:

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
It is actually pretty simple to do. The only "hard" thing is that you have to work around the cool down that entity's have if you use nether portals which is not even that hard.

Hrm, sounds fairly elaborate, I'd love to see people use that system. It's still far more interesting than it being auto-pumped up in ridiculous quantities.

EnderIO recently added a special teleportation track. While not "through a portal" per se, it is effectively it's own portal.

I tend to avoid that track while using railcraft, I wouldn't personally include it in the theoretical pack, though it is very useful and cool. Maybe just modify the recipe to be far more expensive...? I'd still use launcher tracks over them though, I love seeing carts flying everywhere that actually have a use ;)

Last edited:

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with this for several reasons.

Not only can all packs can fit your specification. All you have to do is not use those across dem transport systems.
Some systems could never hope to handle the complicated infrastructures that have pipes going everywhere.
And I hate every aspect of the concept of forcing players to do anything.

I used lava for power, once maybe twice. Got board never used it again. Solars the same.
Some players mature and chose not to use the simplest way possible all the time. Some never mature and always complain about the way other people play.
Many features mods provide are never actually used because they are more complicated than tesseracts for example.
More mods in a modpack often mean more unused content...
And forcing players to use certain mods actually is a good thing: Restriction results in creativity!

BMan2505

Jul 29, 2019
We're entitled to argue our opinions, it was interesting to argue against NJ as I could see what issues people might have with such a modpack. I realise minecraft is not meant to be played in a specific way, but a lot of people do play it in a specific way that follows the quickest way to get to higher tier armour and tools, and then just fly around messing around for a while and leave. What I'm saying is that I'd like a modpack that is hardcore in these senses, just as we have Blood n Bones and whatnot that *forces* players to concentrate on food and PvNPC methods and tools so they can survive. I think that's a really cool idea, and no one seemed to have an issue with players being forced to do things in that pack. Is it so wrong to have a hardcore transport/resource pack? I believe it would just make a far more interesting environment.

Yes, people are entitled to argue their opinions I suppose but some people are afraid of a huge fight happening in the forums and nobody would like it. By the specific way part, many players try to get to highest tier armour and tools but it doesn't necessarily mean they have to.

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, people are entitled to argue their opinions I suppose but some people are afraid of a huge fight happening in the forums and nobody would like it. By the specific way part, many players try to get to highest tier armour and tools but it doesn't necessarily mean they have to.

Again, the argument of 'they don't have to, you don't have to, play the way you want', read Erik's post above yours, it sums up my feelings perfectly. Ah don't worry, I'm not one to turn it into a flame war for no good reason, just not a fan of being called immature when I put my opinion forward. The problem is is that people get these higher tier things with minimal effort, so what's the point of all these huge systems we build? Nothing. I want my factories to be a means to an end as well as something cool, not just a thing I built for no good reason other than it looking cool. I just don't have as much drive or enjoyment if the machine I built has no purpose.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Lets just agree to disagree on the subject of restricting mods in packs & forcing players down one lane, if you like that type of thing hey there are lots of packs like that & more to come I would guess, if not, same thing applies lots of packs ready & waiting for players, personally I do not like being forced down a narrow lane in a pack, be it hqm or mod restrictions, this for me stifles what little creativity I do possess.

In the end its all down to personal preference, if you love XXX pack play it if not play another, it really is that simple, note for some people no matter how hard you try press your own views on others be for or against a pack in the end no one will ever change there own view on a subject because of a forum post.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. I'm going to add a third view to this "restriction for creativity" discussion.
There is something to be said for making the end-game harder in order to make it work to get there, and make the mid-game more restrictive to encourage creativity. That is certainly one way to encourage a smarter building. I think there's another way to do that, though: make everything easier. In my pack (Colony, link in sig), I've gone through and made a ton of stuff easier to build, with the idea that if the complicated, interesting stuff is cheaper, more people will use it, as the reward is greater with less expense. So far, it's going alright; with my Galacticraft tweaks, for example, going to and building on the moon has become a reality. I've never gotten to the moon with default GC because everything is such a pain in the butt to get. Now, though, on a server I've played on, there's a fully-fledged moon base complete with Quantum-Tunnel-y thing from AE2, oxygen supplies, and a beautiful base built out of Chisel blocks. If everything had bee harder or even at default difficulty, I would've gotten bored and played something else. :p
One other thing: there really isn't a way to make people get creative with their builds without also making them stop playing. As such, I suggest you try playing in creative mode with a friend or two and having a small competition: decide on a task to automate - crafting florbs, perhaps - and then see who can get the most efficient/minimal form/outlandishly complex build (florbs, as it turns out, are really interesting to automate). I did that, and it was a lot of fun. :)

Caesura

Jul 29, 2019
Lets just agree to disagree on the subject of restricting mods in packs & forcing players down one lane, if you like that type of thing hey there are lots of packs like that & more to come I would guess, if not, same thing applies lots of packs ready & waiting for players, personally I do not like being forced down a narrow lane in a pack, be it hqm or mod restrictions, this for me stifles what little creativity I do possess.

In the end its all down to personal preference, if you love XXX pack play it if not play another, it really is that simple, note for some people no matter how hard you try press your own views on others be for or against a pack in the end no one will ever change there own view on a subject because of a forum post.

The whole point of this discussion was that I, and I'm sure some others, feel that there aren't any packs that fit your description and our play style. It also it wouldn't be linear, but quite the opposite, in the sense of most players following one easier path, and we would be making that more difficult and so encouraging people to follow other paths. The only mod I know that does restrict players properly is Gregtech, which is my favourite mod but mostly as it finally introduced a way for me to auto-harvest coffee after moving from tekkit. I'm calling for a new pack which is different from the others, as most packs have largely the same composition, that needs more complex transport and all the things I listed a few posts back. It's no longer about restricting mods, but more about encouraging different styles of play that are creative and interesting. Personally I don't thrive on making buildings look pretty, I thrive on getting from product A to product B no matter what in a cool manner. For example, I wanted to run a system off coke and so I make a tree farm, a minecart-run coke furnace collection to make it charcoal, molecular transformers making it into coal, then more coke ovens for coke and HP boilers. A huge system that was very cool, which I then transformed and built around, even moving the coke farm into a sacred oak, completely hidden from view. Don't you think that's more exciting than having a load of lava generators or something as basic? Wouldn't you rather have everyone doing similarly creative things in the server, and admiring each others' work? That's what I miss from Mindcrack. That's what I hope will come back, as I haven't experienced it for a long time.

Hmm. I'm going to add a third view to this "restriction for creativity" discussion.
There is something to be said for making the end-game harder in order to make it work to get there, and make the mid-game more restrictive to encourage creativity. That is certainly one way to encourage a smarter building. I think there's another way to do that, though: make everything easier. In my pack (Colony, link in sig), I've gone through and made a ton of stuff easier to build, with the idea that if the complicated, interesting stuff is cheaper, more people will use it, as the reward is greater with less expense. So far, it's going alright; with my Galacticraft tweaks, for example, going to and building on the moon has become a reality. I've never gotten to the moon with default GC because everything is such a pain in the butt to get. Now, though, on a server I've played on, there's a fully-fledged moon base complete with Quantum-Tunnel-y thing from AE2, oxygen supplies, and a beautiful base built out of Chisel blocks. If everything had bee harder or even at default difficulty, I would've gotten bored and played something else. :p
One other thing: there really isn't a way to make people get creative with their builds without also making them stop playing. As such, I suggest you try playing in creative mode with a friend or two and having a small competition: decide on a task to automate - crafting florbs, perhaps - and then see who can get the most efficient/minimal form/outlandishly complex build (florbs, as it turns out, are really interesting to automate). I did that, and it was a lot of fun. :)

Making things easier? Might work for some, but then these people you speak of might as well play creative to make these systems, as their systems would be pointless other than to look at. I like structures that are useful as well as cool, efficient and interesting. Interesting concept, but I think most people would just reach end game faster and not bother creating other things. It might result in some more creativity to get to end game, which is nice, but end game wouldn't be so hard to get to, which isn't so good.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
This topic sure took off since I last looked at it!

I picked BuildCraft initially because I'll always enjoy using it. It still has newer functionality that I haven't fully taken advantage of, and probably even more so now in BC7. I think that between the newer pipes, gates, and robots, there might be enough there now to where if people really tried then they could probably pull off quite a bit of automation with just that mod by itself. I'm glad to see BC move in that direction, even if I'm slow about looking into the changes.

But to be honest I don't actually mind to see Botania in the lead either. I see people making all kinds of crazy stuff with it and I haven't a clue what any of it is, and I feel like it's one of those mods I should probably know something about by now. I just never quite find the time for all the projects I'd like to do, let alone learn all these newer mods. It's why I feel more comfortable playing with older stuff, where I already know what I'm doing and don't go into something with a daunting amount of things I need to learn. Playing modpacks like Tekkit is like playing SNES, where as Infinity is like some big modern game on Xbox One. Sometimes you don't have time for Final Fantasy XV, but you can always find time for some Super Mario Kart.

Flaxbeard's Steam Power is probably the first newer mod that I got into in a long time, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Kind of surprised that it's not on the list, especially when it can work with other steam mods. Advanced Warfare 2 is another one I've tried getting into recently, which seems to have an incredible amount of content and could easily have a pack built around it as well. Unfortunately I didn't get too far into it before being sidetracked lately. But I'll definitely be getting back to it at some point.

Anyhow, point is, I'll just never get into big packs like Infinity. There's just too many darn mods, too much feature overlap, it runs bad, and I'll never stick with one world long enough to need that much content. I tend to play in spurts, between projects and whatever else is going on, and by the time I get back into playing again I'm more likely to just want to start over. So for me personally, a modpack with a particular emphasis, light on mods, and one that I wouldn't feel bad about dropping the world and starting over when the next month's modpack came out, that appeals to me. So maybe this will be pretty interesting.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Making things easier? Might work for some, but then these people you speak of might as well play creative to make these systems, as their systems would be pointless other than to look at. I like structures that are useful as well as cool, efficient and interesting. Interesting concept, but I think most people would just reach end game faster and not bother creating other things. It might result in some more creativity to get to end game, which is nice, but end game wouldn't be so hard to get to, which isn't so good.
Yes, but since people will rush to the end anyway, let them do so and then log off so the rest of us can have fun with our honor rules. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.