MFR vs Forestry tree farms

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
In attempting to see how much clay I could get from sludge, I built three planters, three harvesters and gave them all iron upgrades. Fairly cheap. Piped the sludge to a boiler and got a small amount of clay but noticed that I ended up with LOTS of wood in a relatively short time. These machines are pretty cheap too.

Compare to forestry, which has their multiblock farms that are made of rather pricey bricks. To me, it seems that the MFR farms make wood a heck of a lot faster for the cost. Is this going to eclipse the Forestry farms perhaps?

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm just going for wood and saplings, it's MFR all the way. Cheap, easy to set up, and ridiculously fast with fertilizers.

I never liked the full Forestry farm for wood, but it's still good for things like the orchard

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Just for wood, MFR wins hands down. Forestry is more than just wood, the crossbreeding of trees and stuffs that helps you get more Biomass or seed oil fromt he nuts harvested from the crossbred trees, etc. But then again, for liquid fuel source, MFR bioreactor can take in the excess saplings too to churn out biofuel...

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry managed gourd farms are still the best way to gather melons and seeds.

Then agian MFR has a fruit picker, not sure what it does yet never used it.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MFR's Harvester works fine for melons and pumpkins too. The fruit picker is for cocoa but I've heard it works with Natura's berry bushes as well.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry farms always were a pain to fully automate, so I usually used them as last resort if stuff I needed to grow didn't work any other way or if building a huge machinery just for fun was the intention.

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
I like forestry multifarms, because they're a whole lot more interesting. MineFactory Reloaded farms are cheap and boring.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. But I whole heartedly agree. A stack of copper and tin isn't much when you consider the large amounts of wood and saplings that can be gained from even a medium sized multifarm with no upkeep.

MFR may be ideal for farming small amounts of wheat or other food items, but for an energy producing method, nah a little too easy for my liking.

And for the person that said it's too hard to automate, how? Supply fertilzer, dirt and water, extract anything else. At least with AE or Logistic Pipes it couldn't be easier.

Randomguy404

Jul 29, 2019
I've disabled the fertilizer requirement in the config. It's a little bit of an annoyance for me. I've got 3 very large multifarms set up to farm trees, nether wart and cactus. I know they're the least efficient, but they're larger, and produce much more. I'm making more multifarms to increase the efficiency of my bio reactor. I don't really like steam power.

Also, check out my signature. :D

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
interesting opinions.

While MFR farms are definitely cheaper in terms of materials, I found the forestry farms easier to maintain. All your pipes goto one place, you can size the production to however big you want. Plus it has a nice internal buffer, so you dont HAVE to place an output chest. Plus they work with the crosbreed saplings. I was getting about 3k saplings per hour after some tree breeding. The server I play on doesnt want to run beta versions of plugins, so the multiblock farms will stay for a while.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Biggest issue with MFR farms is they don't pick up, I have a solitary golem picking up saplings just to see how much was being "wasted", he's filled a double wooden chest twice in 2 days from saplings dropped from branches.

So in a nutshell, MFR - Messy but most productive, Forestry - neat clean but more expensive.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Biggest issue with MFR farms is they don't pick up, I have a solitary golem picking up saplings just to see how much was being "wasted", he's filled a double wooden chest twice in 2 days from saplings dropped from branches.

So in a nutshell, MFR - Messy but most productive, Forestry - neat clean but more expensive.

The saplings drop because the leaves decay before the harvester can get to that block. This also happens with forestry multifarms. There's a config option with MFR to disable harvesting sounds which actually just removes blocks and generates drops instead of simulating manual harvesting. This should result in no dropped saplings because the leaf blocks are not actually being broken (and avoid overloading the buggy audio library).

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Difference is Forestry picks up the saplings so long as they drop same level as the farm.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Difference is Forestry picks up the saplings so long as they drop same level as the farm.
well same can be said about MFR - if leaves are in harvesters reach there is no waste.
so if a tree has long branches range upgrade is required to prevent waste.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
well same can be said about MFR - if leaves are in harvesters reach there is no waste.
so if a tree has long branches range upgrade is required to prevent waste.

Yeah there's still waste...
Not that it really matters in a perpetual system.