MFR - Bioreactor. Values?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody made some tests how good the MFR bioreactor is? Or is this information stated somewhere else?
How much biofuel per tick/second/whatever is produced and how much energy does this cost?
How are these values for
a) one type only (are there differences between the types?)
b) several types at the same time (which produces more fuel per item according to the MCF thread).

Oh, while I'm at it: Does the planter/harvester understand the new Forestry trees?

The setup I engineered over time is degenerating. Steve's Carts has its speed halved and doesn't harvest everything anymore due to reduced radius. With 1.5 non-Forestry saplings will produce less biomass than before (you need to breed to saplings with sappiness average to gain the same results as before).

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently testing out MFR and I'll try to post what I find when I'm done.
Did you find something out already? Can I help you with certain questions, so that useful information can be made public?
If need be, I can dig through the code, since it is OpenSource (thanks to PowerCrystals for this!).

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
With a 9 bio products(ex. 4 vanilla saplings + rubber sapling + 3 vanilla seeds + flax) in it it produces up to 1440 mB of Biofuel per tick(?) but there is no way to drain it fast enough to sustain that so it will produce more the second there is enough room in it's buffer to hold it. It uses one of each product each time it produces. Draining it with liquiducts at that speed can sustain 2 36-HP boilers during heatup phase with more left over. The Bio Reactor needs no power and can only be drained from one side. The conversion rate at max efficiency is 160mB per item each tick compared to the old forestry 240mB per sapling (You need those sappy saplings to do it now) at a much slower pace. You could say it does the saplings at that rate and seeds at 60mB each.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
It seems very powerful because its produces biofuel not biomass. This produces a ton MJ in a combustion engine or you can use it in a boiler. Biomass has to be converted into biofuel to use in a boiler. I personally love it.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I've dug a bit through the code.
Production values depending on number of items used: {80,180,300,440,600,780,980,1200,1440}. This means one item gives 80mB, two items give 90mB per item, ..., nine items give 160mB per item. So if you only compare to saplings in a still (1.4.7 values), which produces 240mB per sapling as Hoff stated, the still will give more. But considering that you can use a multitude of other items now, the bioreactor becomes better again. Have a bunch of TC golems harvest your fields of Wheat, Netherwart, Potato, Carrot, Pumpkin, Melon, Cocoa you should be able to receive a big amount of biofuel in a reasonable amount of space used.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I've dug a bit through the code.
Production values depending on number of items used: {80,180,300,440,600,780,980,1200,1440}. This means one item gives 80mB, two items give 90mB per item, ..., nine items give 160mB per item. So if you only compare to saplings in a still (1.4.7 values), which produces 240mB per sapling as Hoff stated, the still will give more. But considering that you can use a multitude of other items now, the bioreactor becomes better again. Have a bunch of TC golems harvest your fields of Wheat, Netherwart, Potato, Carrot, Pumpkin, Melon, Cocoa you should be able to receive a big amount of biofuel in a reasonable amount of space used.
The the biggest thing is that seeds produce that amount as well and are much easier to produce especially manually.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The bio-reactor seems like a nice way to burn off extra produce that you might otherwise not want to/can not run through a still (e.g., wheat, seeds), but its actual output values are very low unless you have a very large variety of farms running it. As such, you probably don't want to rely on it over a system that uses a fermenter+still, but rather as one to augment it.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
IMO this is a great source of power early game. Its very easy to find the 4 different saplings and xycraft seeds work too. So corn kernals and heniquine seeds work as well. Its really cool imo.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like I've had this discussion before. The farms work well if they can produce more power than they take to run. The only way I've seen this work is using the solid fuel output from the MFR farms or using very big trees with the con figs tuned for large height to maximize sapling output.

I am not sure how the bio reactor could fit in "early game."

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I think the hardest part is supplying the bio reactor with a steady supply of each plant to maximize it's output while avoiding giving it or producing too much of one plant type.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I feel like I've had this discussion before. The farms work well if they can produce more power than they take to run. The only way I've seen this work is using the solid fuel output from the MFR farms or using very big trees with the con figs tuned for large height to maximize sapling output.

I am not sure how the bio reactor could fit in "early game."
It's not hard to get a stack of 9 different sources of biofuel for it which equates to 92.16 buckets of biofuel which equates to about 18.5 million MJ in a combustion engine. And that 92 buckets is made in around 10-20 minutes.

I think the hardest part is supplying the bio reactor with a steady supply of each plant to maximize it's output while avoiding giving it or producing too much of one plant type.

Managers or supplier pipes if you have Logistics pipes.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's not hard to get a stack of 9 different sources of biofuel for it which equates to 92.16 buckets of biofuel which equates to about 18.5 million MJ in a combustion engine. And that 92 buckets is made in around 10-20 minutes.

I've never seen anyone actually pull this off. The problem I had was that the reactor ran so fast that it'd just munch all the fuel before diversity had time to accumulate when I had vanilla plants and a tree farm. I had infinite and available fertilizer; it didn't make that system power-positive.

Managers or supplier pipes if you have Logistics pipes.

Managers are notoriously buggy. Best to stick with AE if you have it.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
So because you can't actually pull all the fuel out with a single duct, is there a way around this or do you have to cope with less speed and efficiently because it's impossible to pump all of it out?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I've never seen anyone actually pull this off. The problem I had was that the reactor ran so fast that it'd just munch all the fuel before diversity had time to accumulate when I had vanilla plants and a tree farm. I had infinite and available fertilizer; it didn't make that system power-positive.

Managers are notoriously buggy. Best to stick with AE if you have it.

Ahh there's the thing. Do not automate it early. You simply can't, or rather it would be silly to do so. It's best to just do what you're doing early game, mining, farming, etc. and get a stockpile of 9 different types of seed/sapling/carrot/potato/etc. and throw all 9 in at once. From there just pipe it out into BC or Xy tanks. It will then create the biofuel from the 9 available types putting it at max efficiency consuming 1 of each item each production cycle. You should only automate it in the middle tier of the game when you have golems and the like available to auto farm and store everything followed by RP2, Logistics pipes, or AE supplying the bio reactor with 20-32 of each of the 9 chosen items at any given time.

Also I'll stick to LP :p

So because you can't actually pull all the fuel out with a single duct, is there a way around this or do you have to cope with less speed and efficiently because it's impossible to pump all of it out?

I have yet to find a way to pump out as much as it produces because it produces every tick possible. So you're limited in the sense that it doesn't take 3 seconds(of 20 tps) to produce 92 buckets of biofuel. That would be insanity. Regardless being able to easily keep up with 2 HP boilers from beginning of heatup phase makes it trump all else by FAR.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
2 max sized HP boilers at heatup?? if you could only pump that all out.. Too bad it's doesn't auto input into BC tanks like all other MFR machines..

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
2 max sized HP boilers at heatup?? if you could only pump that all out.. Too bad it's doesn't auto input into BC tanks like all other MFR machines..

I think he means that you can do that with what you can already pump out of it and if you could pull more out you would be able to run even more steam boilers.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I think he means that you can do that with what you can already pump out of it and if you could pull more out you would be able to run even more steam boilers.
Yes that's what I meant.

If you were able to remove all liquid from it as quickly as it made it you'd produce 1440 mB of biofuel every tick at max efficiency. You'd have enough biofuel to probably run about about 40 from startup phase in about 5 minutes given you have the material to supply it.