Mechanics discussion: all about the grind

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
In addition, I loathe things that require diamonds to craft. I have the worst luck finding diamonds every world I play to the point where when I stop playing a world, it is usually because I needed diamonds for something and could not get enough. I spend half my game spelunking while a quarry or bore scavenges for diamonds and I still run at a shortage. The best point in my MC life is when I randomly generated a RFTools dimension and got diamond ore tendrils... but sadness ensues because that world is hilariously unstable and lags quite a bit.

I feel your pain on the diamonds part, but this is modded. You can make diamonds for fairly cheap

Sent from my igloo using Canadian Goose Mesenger

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I know the pain of lacking diamonds. I have had bugger all luck with finding them. I've always ended up hunting for alternate methods of finding them. Whether going after Railcraft Geodes for their Dark Diamond Ore, or hunting through The Twilight Forest hollow hills. Pneaumaticraft has a recipe for turning Coal Blocks into diamonds, 8:1, and I've used that a fair bit.

Lots of people complain about the time taken for the cart assembler, and I completely agree. Except... I find if you're going to go to all the trouble of making the assembler, there's no reason not to make the upgrades, including the one that chops time and cost off. Industrial Espionage I think. It makes most carts take a few seconds.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
^This

Make two so you don't have to wait for one processing to be done to start the second

Diamond farm set-up using the compressor:
1. Move a Skelly spawner in the nether or use a MFR Auto-Spawner with a Wither Skelly in it which is set to spawn exact copy and have a grinder
2. Filter the drops
3. Use some pipes/itemducts/item conduits to move the coal the Wither Skellys spawn into 2 or 3 compressors
4. ???
5. Profit

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 is in *allmost* all packs. If you are hurting for diamonds, but swimming in coal and flint, it's worth the hassle.

Not my private pack. :p
Plus it irks me to have to use a mod that I actively dislike for going where it has (whether I'm justified is a different story and not to be discussed here; it is enough to say that it makes me crabby to have to use it).

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I
I know the pain of lacking diamonds. I have had bugger all luck with finding them. I've always ended up hunting for alternate methods of finding them. Whether going after Railcraft Geodes for their Dark Diamond Ore, or hunting through The Twilight Forest hollow hills. Pneaumaticraft has a recipe for turning Coal Blocks into diamonds, 8:1, and I've used that a fair bit.

Lots of people complain about the time taken for the cart assembler, and I completely agree. Except... I find if you're going to go to all the trouble of making the assembler, there's no reason not to make the upgrades, including the one that chops time and cost off. Industrial Espionage I think. It makes most carts take a few seconds.
It irks me that I even have to go through all of that, so any pack I use with Steve's Carts gets the whole suite of Steve's mods deleted.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I

It irks me that I even have to go through all of that, so any pack I use with Steve's Carts gets the whole suite of Steve's mods deleted.
Aye...I'm not sure if it'd be affected by something like a Watch of Flowing Time or a ChromatiCraft tile accelerator, but the fact you all but need one to get a cart of any usability is patently ridiculous. It should not take several hours to assemble a collection of parts. A few minutes, sure, but when I can start an assembly, go make dinner, take a shower, brush my teeth, use the bathroom, and drink two beers and still be only halfway done with assembling a machine, something has gone horribly awry.

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, Steve's carts is a perfect example of a time gate going wrong.
It's also quite powerful when you get it set up but me personally and id wager I'm not alone in this, avoid the mod because of the horrendous waits.
Sure you can do something else but chances are you don't have a lot of tasks to do. Also just say the cart In question was how you where going to gather enough materials for a building project.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I think maybe you guys are using it wrong. I recognize that the mod varies considerably by setup, but what are you using the carts for? I setup a cart that takes twenty minutes to make, and then go setup the track, and the automation for extracting items and ensuring it has fuel. When I come back it's usually been more than enough time.

Unless of course you're doing all the prepwork and then starting it off. In that case, I can't help.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I was using it at a time where a long lasting fully upgraded wood farmer took 24 rl hours to construct.
I'd rather use a forestry farm.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The other cutting implements are just not worth the hassle. However if steves cart's where the only wood farms available I'd probably wait it out. I might even progress linearly amd not skip to Galgador.

I mean image if you only really had 1 hour of game time every 2 days imagine how many sessions it would take just to get a tree farm set up.
Then again such a person probably couldn't getvin to MC at all and probably grinds enough in their vocation.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The other cutting implements are just not worth the hassle. However if steves cart's where the only wood farms available I'd probably wait it out. I might even progress linearly amd not skip to Galgador.

I mean image if you only really had 1 hour of game time every 2 days imagine how many sessions it would take just to get a tree farm set up.
Then again such a person probably couldn't getvin to MC at all and probably grinds enough in their vocation.
MFR Harvester and Planter. Done.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Aye...I'm not sure if it'd be affected by something like a Watch of Flowing Time or a ChromatiCraft tile accelerator, but the fact you all but need one to get a cart of any usability is patently ridiculous. It should not take several hours to assemble a collection of parts. A few minutes, sure, but when I can start an assembly, go make dinner, take a shower, brush my teeth, use the bathroom, and drink two beers and still be only halfway done with assembling a machine, something has gone horribly awry.
Yep, Steve's carts is a perfect example of a time gate going wrong.
It's also quite powerful when you get it set up but me personally and id wager I'm not alone in this, avoid the mod because of the horrendous waits.
Sure you can do something else but chances are you don't have a lot of tasks to do. Also just say the cart In question was how you where going to gather enough materials for a building project.

I just minetweakered the creative upgrade for the crafting station to be made of dirt. Problem solved. :D
I don't need to imagine, I can CALCULATE! It takes 48 days. :p
And you're right about not being able to get into MC. I AM that person. I used to have time, so I played a lot, but now that I don't get more than a half hour per day I play TF2 almost exclusively. Pick it up, go save some team from horrible defeat by playing medic, get off and go back to whatever real-life task I was doing before. :p

(although I do kinda keep up with modstuff and hang around here anyway)