Mechanics discussion: all about the grind

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In the discussion about Infinity Expert Mode, there was a lot of discussion about 'grindy' and what was too much and what was just enough, and I thought this was an opportunity to explore this mechanic which is inherent in Minecraft, where it is appropriate, and what might constitute too much for some people.

First off, I would like to go on the record and state that being 'too grindy' is an inherently subjective statement which will vary from person to person. Therefore, it is silly to try and make it appear as some kind of objective or factual statement.

Having said that, there are a number of ways to misuse grinding to replace actual content for game play duration. This was prevalent back in the old NES days to extend the play-time on a game because there wasn't enough memory to put in enough content to be worth the price tag.

However, what grind does not do is make the game actually any more difficult, just more tedious. It doesn't make a game harder, it just makes it last longer. Making someone take an extra three hours of gameplay to make a bucket doesn't intrinsically make the game harder to beat, it just means you have to go through those hours of gameplay to be able to move liquid source blocks.

Some people really like this, because you can spend a couple hundred hours on a game with a high level of grind, as opposed to maybe a couple dozen hours without the extra grind thrown in. So it feels like you get more bang for your buck. Others, however, don't have hundreds of hours to devote to a video game anymore, and are less inclined to deal with it.

Either way you stand on the topic, however, I would like to address the point that was made several times in the 'we gave up after eighteen hours' thread, and that is the topic of feedback. Everyone has a different viewpoint and a different experience. Player feedback in invaluable to a mod pack team. And the original point of 'I would really like to have an intermediary difficulty between 'ez mode' and 'omgwtfbbq mode'' is one well made. This is the kind of feedback which dev teams need to improve their game construction. This is constructive criticism and an offer of a proposed solution. Less useful, however, are simply complaints about being 'too hard' with no further information added. If you are going to give feedback, give them something to work with. 'This sucks' is insufficient datum.

So, onto the main topic: grinding. Lots of games include grinding in various ways. Most RPG economy systems involve grinding. Most tech trees or leveling systems involve grinding. The problem isn't necessarily the grinding itself so much as what you are doing while you are grinding and how involved you are in it.

You see, grinding levels and money for phat lewtz generally involves combat, so if you designed your combat system to be enjoyable, it is something the player is going to be inclined to do. This gets even better when you have a game where you have an interactive combat system like Legend of Dragoon, which made combat more interesting and dynamic. However, if your combat system was like, say, Castlevania II... not so much. Unfortunately, Minecraft's combat mechanics are... decidedly on the Castlevania II's end of the spectrum. 1.9 will be changing this (and I can hardly wait!), but that is still in the future.

Thaumcraft 4's research mechanic is definitely what I would call a grind. And, the first time through, it is a very enjoyable one. You have a minigame to play, where you can come up with creative solutions, and each research unlocks things to do. Granted, replay value tends to drop off sharply after the tenth time or so of doing it, but it's absolutely great the first time through.

IC2-ex and GregTech, however, have decided to use primarily sub-combine grind, and consumable tools. And there is just no way that I have found to make staring at a crafting grid making sub-combines until your eyes bleed to be remotely entertaining. Particularly for non-stacking sub-combine items.

Better? Worse? These things are subjective. There is a way to incorporate grind into a game where you can find it enjoyable. You can also abuse forced grinding to extend a game's play-time. Where these values lie depends largely on the player. One person's enjoyable can be another person's tedium. However, it is an important mechanic to understand, and a vital one in nearly any game anybody plays. And understanding where you yourself stand on the sliding scale of grinding can help you steer to games you might enjoy versus ones you might either find to be too short or too tedious.

Reactions: RedBoss

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft as a game is in a class of its own especially with mods so Im not sure if the same principals that work in other games can be applied to it. People play for a myriad of reasons. Building, adventuring, mining, engineering etc. Some people play for the social aspect. The word "subjective" is probably used a thousand times a day on this forum. You cant please all the people all the time and its pointless to even try. Which is why I dont understand why more people dont just make their own packs. Try as I might, I cant find one that suits me better than the one I put together myself.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Grind isn't necessarily bad, but it has to have a reward at the end. Ultimate's version of GT was this. Yes it was a longer, slower game, but once you got the machines started, you were getting rewards. Moving from the Macerator to the Industrial Grinder with it's much higher output felt like a step up. I was actually starting to climb the tech tree. Were I to go back and play now, I know I'd be looking to get to the IGrinder quickly, so I could break through that early grind issue.

Thaumcraft's research I see exactly what you mean. It is fun, and I've played with it a couple of times. But after a while, I want nothing more than to throw the switch into easy mode. But even so, there's a reward for the grind when you do it.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to see a cross between Infinity Evolved Expert Mode and Agrarian Skies 2.

Heh, I'm so evil.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Infinity Evolved Expert Mode(I'm gonna call it IEEM) doesn't make everything harder, some things are cheaper, one of them is the tool forge, normally it costs 18 iron ore(in a smeltery, 36 ingots or 4 blocks), in IEEM it costs 6.5 iron ore(in a smeltery, 13 ingots, 5 for a hammer, and 8 for the plates). That being said IEEM makes some things be cheaper and some things more expensive, but it creates a pretty good balamce IMO
Edit: I was wrong, it requires dense iron plates making it more expensive.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
However, what grind does not do is make the game actually any more difficult, just more tedious. It doesn't make a game harder, it just makes it last longer.
That all depends on the design in question, however the above [almost] always remains true for badly implemented grind/mechanics.

If grinding itself is tricky/challenging, or puts the player at risk then additional grind will make the game more difficult.
Likewise it'll also ramp up the difficulty in terms of what the player can invest in; you only have enough material to upgrade weapons OR armour.
If the grind mechanics are interesting, then [with diminishing returns] extra grind will extend the length of play without tedium becoming an issue.
Though in this case it works better if you [the designer] can up the stakes in some format.​

Grind itself is unavoidable, the better question to ask is 'what is being done to make the grind interesting?'
A well designed grind is somewhat tricky to pull off. It requires skill. It takes balls. It is possible- the best ones are when the player doesn't know their grinding; it feels like an epic adventure. And that is the hallmark of a talented designer.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Subjectivity has it's limits though. If you look at the range of acceptable difficulties and levels of grind a consensus is reached of what is and isn't too hard/ easy.

For instance a rf gen made out of dirt that makes 10000rf / tic for free, no one would say that was reasonable.
If you needed to use octuple compressed cobble for a stone pick that too would be considered unreasonable.

There is such thing as too much grind and that's the point where everyone agrees it's too much.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RenzosNips

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity Evolved Expert Mode(I'm gonna call it IEEM) doesn't make everything harder, some things are cheaper, one of them is the tool forge, normally it costs 18 iron ore(in a smeltery, 36 ingots or 4 blocks), in IEEM it costs 6.5 iron ore(in a smeltery, 13 ingots, 5 for a hammer, and 8 for the plates). That being said IEEM makes some things be cheaper and some things more expensive, but it creates a pretty good balamce IMO
Actually the tool forge is more expensive as it requires 4 dense refined iron plates thus meaning you need a compressor and some form of blast furnace which in themselves require an assembly table and thermionic fabricator. This heavily sets back the creation of the tool forge by many hours and is more expensive without the use of a metal former.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It's even more expensive if you don't pay attention and make 4 dense iron plates.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the tool forge is more expensive as it requires 4 dense refined iron plates thus meaning you need a compressor and some form of blast furnace which in themselves require an assembly table and thermionic fabricator. This heavily sets back the creation of the tool forge by many hours and is more expensive without the use of a metal former.

Man, thats brutal. Tinkers has always been a bit OP so I understand why they would make the tool forge more difficult to aquire but this seems like overkill.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
Actually, i find that a reasonable grind isn't that bad at all, especially if the mod packs authors implement a progression : you get to learn new mods and you must think in advance to what you need to do ,instead of throwing bunch of resources to get a new gadget
It also prevents you from reaching god mode too fast and gives sense to otherwise unused objects ( for example, do you ever use stirling engines/redstone engines if not in the very beginning of the world?)
It may also give a sense to the various " dungeon mods" which can be added to the game : the rewards might help against grind ( if properly configured), but grind itself would also prevent them from being too easy ,since you do not have access to OP armor and one click kill weapons

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Man, thats brutal. Tinkers has always been a bit OP so I understand why they would make the tool forge more difficult to aquire but this seems like overkill.

Nah, it's not nearly as bad as it seems. Dense iron plates is just 9 iron plates which in turn is just 9 iron ingots. All this does is require you (or "gently guide you" if you prefer lol) to build - and use - the IC2 line of processing machines.

And besides involving IC2, this also serves to delay entry to the "upper tier" tools of Tinkers - the Hammer, the Lumber Axe and the Shovel. It doesn't delay you very long, just so long as you follow the proper progression.

And speaking of progression... that is the proper word for what we desire in games IMO. It's not "grind", it's "progression" - working on one thing in order to make another thing, which in turn you are making to make something else, which is used for making... etc etc etc tying it all together into a progression. Infinity Evolved Expert Mode is the best modpack I've played since Ultimate days... and that's saying a lot. Ultimate WAS the ultimate modpack, and still is, quite honestly... until this one came along. Thumbs up from me all the way, and from a lot of people I talk modded Minecraft with, they feel the same way. Well done indeed. Progression!!

Disclaimer: I am able to - and do - play a lot of hours every day. 400+ hours in Infinity Evolved Expert Mode now, thanks to the great FTB Utilities stats... For those unable to do spend quite so much time on the game, I can certainly understand their grumblings about the lengthy progression required.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, it's not nearly as bad as it seems. Dense iron plates is just 9 iron plates which in turn is just 9 iron ingots. All this does is require you (or "gently guide you" if you prefer lol) to build - and use - the IC2 line of processing machines.

And besides involving IC2, this also serves to delay entry to the "upper tier" tools of Tinkers - the Hammer, the Lumber Axe and the Shovel. It doesn't delay you very long, just so long as you follow the proper progression.

And speaking of progression... that is the proper word for what we desire in games IMO. It's not "grind", it's "progression" - working on one thing in order to make another thing, which in turn you are making to make something else, which is used for making... etc etc etc tying it all together into a progression. Infinity Evolved Expert Mode is the best modpack I've played since Ultimate days... and that's saying a lot. Ultimate WAS the ultimate modpack, and still is, quite honestly... until this one came along. Thumbs up from me all the way, and from a lot of people I talk modded Minecraft with, they feel the same way. Well done indeed. Progression!!

Disclaimer: I am able to - and do - play a lot of hours every day. 400+ hours in Infinity Evolved Expert Mode now, thanks to the great FTB Utilities stats... For those unable to do spend quite so much time on the game, I can certainly understand their grumblings about the lengthy progression required.

Sounds to me like a tweak designed to force people to use IC2 so they can use a mod that they actually enjoy. I would prefer progression tweaks to be at least somewhat logical and this one makes no sense. Ticon has a decidedly medieval theme to it so why would steve need industry and electricity to do something people have been doing with manual labor for thousands of years? I can understand wanting to delay people's access to hammers and lumberaxes for a while but this is a hamfisted approach. But thats only my opinion.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
There's an alternative recipe that replaces the dense refined iron plates with I think manasteel ingots or blocks.
But I think you need steel to make manasteel.

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019
There's an alternative recipe that replaces the dense refined iron plates with I think manasteel ingots or blocks.
But I think you need steel to make manasteel.

It's Terrasteel ingots. Also, you don't NEED to make steel to make manasteel but it costs twice as much mana if you don't.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds to me like a tweak designed to force people to use IC2 so they can use a mod that they actually enjoy. I would prefer progression tweaks to be at least somewhat logical and this one makes no sense. Ticon has a decidedly medieval theme to it so why would steve need industry and electricity to do something people have been doing with manual labor for thousands of years? I can understand wanting to delay people's access to hammers and lumberaxes for a while but this is a hamfisted approach. But thats only my opinion.

On the other hand, show me a medieval tool that was able to clear out a 3m² area without any advanced mechanics. Personally I was fine with this change since you really have to work your way towards hammers and lumber axes. They feel so much more valuable. But I guess this is a matter of personal taste and playstyle, as expert mode is in general.

My thoughts on the whole grind-subject: I find it quite entertaining and also a different challenge than usual. Since I find it hard to remember recipes when they take 5 or more sub-tasks, I had to help me out with multiple crafting tables (or the Steve's workshop one that combines them), smart NEI filtering and even some notes on paper.

Usually I rush through early game, try some new mechanics, get bored and start over. In Expert Mode I'd cry if I had to start over because of all the work that went into my world so far. For me that's a good thing :)

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
On the other hand, show me a medieval tool that was able to clear out a 3m² area without any advanced mechanics. Personally I was fine with this change since you really have to work your way towards hammers and lumber axes. They feel so much more valuable. But I guess this is a matter of personal taste and playstyle, as expert mode is in general.

My thoughts on the whole grind-subject: I find it quite entertaining and also a different challenge than usual. Since I find it hard to remember recipes when they take 5 or more sub-tasks, I had to help me out with multiple crafting tables (or the Steve's workshop one that combines them), smart NEI filtering and even some notes on paper.

Usually I rush through early game, try some new mechanics, get bored and start over. In Expert Mode I'd cry if I had to start over because of all the work that went into my world so far. For me that's a good thing :)

I think the ticon tools do a lot to make manual effort less tedious, more fast paced and fun. I use mods so I dont have to play by vanilla minecraft rules such as one block at a time, slow walking speed and having to jump all the time. I think the tech mods should be tweaked and balanced with the increased amout of resources you get from Ticon tools in mind, the tech mods should be focused towards ever so gradually building machines to automate things like mining and farming, not on making medieval era swords, shovels and axes. Magic mods should be tweaked so as to add a handy shortcut towards that goal for those willing to put in the effort. IC2 seems like an extremely high tech mod, out of place in the same era that you are still manually chopping trees.

Ive been tweaking the heck out the game for a while now, adding more and more of the concepts ive been hinting about so Im not just talking out of my ass. Im doing it to enhance the game for my personal enjoyment but I plan to release the pack publicly at some point even though I have no idea how that even works. Hopefully people will like it.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'd just like to throw in my $0.02.

As someone *without* a lot of time, I can speak from the opposite end of the spectrum that @asb3pe is on. I first started (actually using mods) with FTB Ultimate, and I thoroughly enjoyed that, but there were 3 key differences:
1. I had more time. That's out of the hands of developers; the only tip you can get from that is "make a range of packs (yes, this includes packs even more easy-mode than the existing low-level packs)."
2. I played on a local server with a several of friends I knew IRL. This made crafting, mining, and building significantly faster, but also multiplied material cost for personal gear (tools, weapons) by several times. Also keep in mind that I never got very far in any of my worlds; think having one or two nano-suit pieces per person on the server, let's say maybe 4 people total.
3. Regardless of whether this was true (I had no idea what I was doing), it felt like automation was truly rewarding; there was huge grind associated with a lot of stuff, but it felt like automation was cheap and getting it done would allow me to manufacture expensive gear. This is the one most pertinent to discussion, so that's what I'm going to talk about most.

(All of this is from the perspective of someone who hadn't been outside IC2+BC at the time)
One thing I made in several worlds was nanosuit armor. Nanosuit armor was a massive grind, but it was a piece of cake to automate--all you needed was a couple macerators, compressors, and an auto crafting table or two. I remember living in a wooden shack in one of my worlds with nothing but some solars and a nano-suit line.
Machines were cheap, but ther sides were unconfigurable, and buildcraft was all I had for transport. Automation itself was slightly more challenging, although that's actually easy to replicate nowadays (disallow TE machines from configuring sides, only include buildcraft for transport).

So, here are my thoughts: absurd grind is great as long as it is absurdly easy to automate it. So, very expensive recipes for everything except machines, which should be dirt cheap. Tools, weapons, and armor should be expensive but recipes should be fairly simple (unlike the current flux armor which is expensive and complicated). It should also be both hyper-powerful (I thought invincibility was fine) and actually have a use (I always went to the twilight forest with my first diamonds after the nanosuit, and raided dungeons).

Can I find that anywhere? :p

Also, (@epidemia78) I will not be pulling stuff out of my butt in the future either. I HAVE made my own packs, and published them; I've made around 6 individual packs and published 2. None meet the requirements I've specified above, though, but still.

PS. Epidemia I WOULD like to see your pack, or at least the mods list and some of the config changes. :)

Reactions: epidemia78

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I tend to like 'first time grind'. Something difficult to get to once, but each subsequent one is helped by the presence of the first. IC2's Induction Furnace was a good example. 8 Iron and 8 Refined iron took a long time in even the electric furnace. And had to be done twice for the induction furnace. Once you have the induction furnace, it's super fast if you want to make another one.

Now it's the Metal Former. It takes a fair bit of work to get the first one up, but once you have it, you can use that to make the components for more. TE is awesome, but tends to fall into: What do I need more than one for? Territory.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It really depends. Some grind is to be expected, if you just get things handed to you, then there's no real feeling of accomplishment. While I, personally, do enjoy just screwing around in creative from time to time, I much prefer working in survival and earning my proverbial keep. With that out of the way, I'll add that my tolerance for chronic grind is quite low. That's why I don't care for hard mode packs or GT, there's too much grind for too long, making it wear out its welcome far too quickly, for my tastes. This is also one of the reasons I like RotaryCraft and Reika's other stuff, he's managed to balance the two in a manner I find appealing. Early on, RoC can be a bit of a grind, working mostly with steam and DC engines (and the occasional wind turbine), but the rewards are always there and always tangible. Spend the time to grind out a supply of coal coke and you get extra steel from your blast furnace, spend the time to grind out what you need to get 4 steam engines up and running and you get (admittedly slow) ore tripling via the grinder. Clever users can mitigate some of the early grind, as well, if they budget their resources properly. That's why I like it: you can attack a problem from multiple, equally valid angles, you're not forced down one static progression line.

TL;DR: Chronic grind is a pain in the ass. Give me multiple ways to attack the grind, and I'm a happy camper.