Manufactio - Minecraft/Factorio hybrid

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Been experimenting with the concept of "Biter Nests" in factorio.

In this pack, a distance away from spawn, are various sand like mounds. I'll let you discover what they are. "They mostly come out at night" - newt

2018-07-14_13.06.44.jpg

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Example of the ore generation:
oregen.jpg

As you can see, every chunk does not have all the ores. Just as Factorio where you find the resources and ship them back to your factory.
Lead/Silver are in every chunk, they are not a highly used resource.
I've tweaked Redstone, Diamonds, Gold and Lapis which if you have a good eye, you'll see the difference
Copper, Iron, Tin, Coal, Uranium & Hardened Stone are in big deposits as above, all can show on the surface, if the RNG spawns a clump at ground level, you'll know that's a good place for a quarry.

Same area, but in journey map, you can just make out the different clusters of the main ore types:
oregen2.jpg

F

Fayte91

Love the mudpack idea!

I've been playing it and I have noticed a minor issue or two:

The simple combustion generator quest doesn't seem to pick up it being crafted in the Efab properly (Going to test it again in a bit)

Also science points are impossible to get due to the power upgrade from Efab being uncraftable.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Love the mudpack idea!

I've been playing it and I have noticed a minor issue or two:

The simple combustion generator quest doesn't seem to pick up it being crafted in the Efab properly (Going to test it again in a bit)

Also science points are impossible to get due to the power upgrade from Efab being uncraftable.
Hi and thanks

Interesting about the generator, must be an Efab/Questbook combo issue. I can change the questbook to a detect but don't consume quest.

I've been made aware of the the Red Science Point issue, I made a hacky change in v0.2 (use the packs directly), but next update version I'm making the processor and the rf control part of the Starting tech you have access to.

M

Myster0

The Metal Press tech reward didn't trigger properly for me and might have a typo; '#/gamestage add @p P012' - I'm not sure the # should be there.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The Metal Press tech reward didn't trigger properly for me and might have a typo; '#/gamestage add @p P012' - I'm not sure the # should be there.
Good spot, thanks!

If you type in /gamestage add @p P012 into the chat, that'll update your progress correctly.

Next update in the next few days will be overhauling the hostiles. Generally day & night will be peaceful, then after a few MC days zombie hordes will be appearing, and they will also be able to break certain blocks to get at you and will disrupt parts of your factory.

M

Myster0

Would there be a way to get an unbreakable chain-link fence type block? I've made my perimeter wall out of chiseled Glass 'Iron Fence'; pretty sure they'd be able to break those and metal bars are a bit of a waste for walls.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Would there be a way to get an unbreakable chain-link fence type block? I've made my perimeter wall out of chiseled Glass 'Iron Fence'; pretty sure they'd be able to break those and metal bars are a bit of a waste for walls.
It is configurable as to what blocks can/cannot be destroyed by the mobs, so keeping in the Factorio theme, I was going to make Concrete as non-breakable (note, creepers can still damage it, or they might pillar over it).

Immersive Engineering has a sweet Barbed Wire fence which is quite lethal to mobs, and can also be electrified. I also know the techguns has various decorative blocks (like sand bag walls), but I've not investigated them all.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What I'm calling the Hostile Update (v0.3) should be out in the next couple of days.

I think I've finally got the mob spawning at a stage where occasionally it'll be a challenge, but not a constant fight for survival (especially the tech gun spawning!)

To summarise, EpicSeigeMod and Zombie Awareness added. This means better pathfinding, more swarms/hordes and they have the ability to dig through or over walls. But, mobs cannot spawn on grass, dirt, gravel, sand (aka surface materials), so if any appear, they should be emerging from caves. Mobs cannot place TNT from EpicSeigeMod, that's just way too destructive, but they have more blocks they can grief if they get into your factory.
Alien Bug spires have been pushed a bit further away giving slightly more room to explore before encountering them. Their speed and health have been reduced.
Oh, zombies & skeletons no longer burn in daylight but also some mobs have been disabled (witches and the Thermal Blitz variations).
Concrete (all modded types, not vanilla concrete) should be immune to mobs digging through it, and it's now a research item.

Taken longer and also a bigger headache then I expected, but now back on track with updating the quests/research tree.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
and 0.3 is released.

I think this is a step in the right direction to address the key issues, but not the final solution (gotta get that disclaimer in! :p)

M

Myster0

@Golrith Could you post a screenshot of your Betterboilers + DynamicTanks setup? I've tried every combination of pipes and pumps, but I'm missing something and can't get water in to the boiler.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So was playing around with the boilers again, and discovered I can use the IE Fluid Pipes if I use a pump on top of the boiler. So a bit of adjusting, and here's a possible setup (energy cells would be IE Capacitors). Add a conveyor coal line to the boilers, and it's definitely got that Factorio Vibe. There is a small visual glitch where the pipes don't appear to connect to the boiler, but that's a minor issue.

View attachment 36571

Oh, did I forget to mention that Torches are going to be disabled? :D Powered lighting only. You can still go manual mining deep underground, but you'll have to bring a load of wire and powered lanterns with you, and be generating power.

Edit: Just discovered the Automated Engineers Workbench. That's going to be my Tier 1 Autocrafting solution for common components, it's a lovely multiblock. Just need to add some blueprint patterns.

@Golrith Could you post a screenshot of your Betterboilers + DynamicTanks setup? I've tried every combination of pipes and pumps, but I'm missing something and can't get water in to the boiler.
Here you go, from an earlier post. There's a rendering issue with the pipes not looking like they connect, but they do.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Has someone mentioned Modular Machinery to you yet? You might be able to use it to add some machines that you can't find a suitable mod for, or for some endgame goals. It even has a nice handler for furnaces, if you want to replicate the factorio furnace tiers (which I think you did in another way already, but I thought I'd mention it).

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks, I see that it is bascially the same as IE Bucket Excavator, one useful part of that mod is that it's much easier to build. I don't think I will need it, but I'll keep it in mind.

Has someone mentioned Modular Machinery to you yet? You might be able to use it to add some machines that you can't find a suitable mod for, or for some endgame goals. It even has a nice handler for furnaces, if you want to replicate the factorio furnace tiers (which I think you did in another way already, but I thought I'd mention it).
Not yet, so far all the mods in the pack seem to be giving me the functionality I need.

I've started adjusting Extreme Reactors to follow Factorio's uranium processing.
Uranium Ore can be crushed or smelted, making Uranium Ingots (which is pretty much a waste).
Instead the Uranium Ore is processed in a chemical reactor to make Yellowcake, this is then crushed, making Uranium Grit (Uranium-238) with a 2% chance at creating Yellowium Dust (Uranium-235). (Factorio is 0.7%, I've increased it due to the differences in the way the reactors work, and also oregen differences)
Crafting 1 U235 and 8 U238 makes 9 Yellowium Ingots (Uranium Fuel Cell).
Techguns has a recipe for Yellowcake, but it's 250x more expensive then Factorio, so I will need to add an alternative craft, otherwise it will be impossible to create a steady supply of Sulfuric Acid.

I'm considering adding an alternative recipe for Incindery Ammo to use U238 so it has more use, and an enrichment process to turn it into U235.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Next update is going to be "The Mining Update", and also a major overhaul.

Thanks to the multiple mentions about the Factory0 Resources mod, I posted some suggestions to the mod author, and he implemented them (amazing guy!). There is a now a "Burner Drill" - aka solid fuel quarry, plus also some more "tech" items for scanning the ores in a chunk.

As a result I'm looking at removing the existing quarry mods and use Factory0 instead, and revert world oregen back to almost vanilla.
Factory0 has two major advantages over using world gen and standard quarries, the first is performance and the second is getting the density required. I fired up Factorio and had a look at it's world gen. Normally ores are quite sparse, but in big clusters, and in a 16x16 area, you can have up to 512,000 pieces of ore! That's more then you can get in a chunk in minecraft, even with ore doubling and cheaper recipes with more advanced technologies still don't hit that level of density.

The other big change I'm implementing is removing Thermal Expansion, I'm using it for a few items/blocks (the rest are disabled), but all disabled items are still showing in JEI, which adds confusion to what are valid recipes.

I've also been looking at the Ecology Mod which introduces the concept of pollution. I'm still on the fence if it's really going to be worth having a pollution system, it's highly configurable, but unfortunately it doesn't affect dynamic trees (they love growing in acid rain!) but does have a feature that biomes convert into a wasteland biome, which I believe I can cause hostile mobs to spawn normally in with the In Control mod.

There be iron (and coal) in those hills:
2018-08-08_21.28.17.jpg 2018-08-08_21.29.58.jpg

Proof that you can get a lot of ore in this system (took a while to find these chunks) - testing continues.

Last edited:
P

pap1723

You are doing some really, really good work here!

A couple of notes for you that I just found out. In JEI, there is an item hiding mode. Essentially, you click on the JEI wrench, activate that and then when you click on an item, it will have a red background. What is happening is that JEI is writing that block data into a config file located in the config/JEI folder. When you go back into the settings and turn off the item hiding mode, the items will be hidden in JEI!

Then when you distribute your modpack, the config file will already be included and the items will be hidden for players.

Is your plan to use Pneumaticraft for drones?

Do you have a Discord name, or an easy way to chat in real-time as I would like to help out with this.

Reactions: Golrith