Manufactio - Minecraft/Factorio hybrid

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A TD itemduct with Servo *should* be able to connect to the iron chest cart, since it is an inventory, so that might be a way of more rapidly pulling stuff out of carts. Might have to connect from the sides, though.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
A TD itemduct with Servo *should* be able to connect to the iron chest cart, since it is an inventory, so that might be a way of more rapidly pulling stuff out of carts. Might have to connect from the sides, though.
I did try using ducts to put stuff into a cart, but no joy. The Transport Mod has a nice solution though that works from any side of a cart (or any inventory).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So was playing around with the boilers again, and discovered I can use the IE Fluid Pipes if I use a pump on top of the boiler. So a bit of adjusting, and here's a possible setup (energy cells would be IE Capacitors). Add a conveyor coal line to the boilers, and it's definitely got that Factorio Vibe. There is a small visual glitch where the pipes don't appear to connect to the boiler, but that's a minor issue.

2018-07-08_09.07.34.jpg

Oh, did I forget to mention that Torches are going to be disabled? :D Powered lighting only. You can still go manual mining deep underground, but you'll have to bring a load of wire and powered lanterns with you, and be generating power.

Edit: Just discovered the Automated Engineers Workbench. That's going to be my Tier 1 Autocrafting solution for common components, it's a lovely multiblock. Just need to add some blueprint patterns.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Immersive Engineering has released an update, and it has something I'm personally excited about.

Extractor Conveyor Belt

Finally! It has the same speed as a hopper, but gives you side extraction instead of hopper only downwards extractor.

This means I can now push the Inserter as a researched item as that has two advantages, it can do a stack at a time, and holds an item until there's somewhere to put it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Interesting. I would have assumed something like Railcraft would be required to even come close to the rail functionality in Factorio. I'm not super familiar with rail mods, though. Is there something else you're using?

Edit: This was in reply to the bit about not having railcraft, looks like I was behind a page :)

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Interesting. I would have assumed something like Railcraft would be required to even come close to the rail functionality in Factorio. I'm not super familiar with rail mods, though. Is there something else you're using?
Two mods.

Transport (by SkySomm) which adds a Item Loader (and unloader) and a Holding Rail. The Item Loader is a block when placed next to any inventory (including chest carts) pulls (or pushes) a stack a tick.
Better Railroads (by Creator126) that adds a whole load of track types with configurable speed settings.

Combined with Diamond Chest Cart means a very large amount of items can be transported very very quickly, or even the player.

You won't be able to have a train network like in Factorio, but at least you'll be able to setup a quarry area, centralise the gathering, and whizz it off to your processing area.

The only area that isn't covered are personal vehicles. There's a few options, but nothing really developed that would fit in. Flight has always been the #1 path for faster travel.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ok, cool.

I'm not a railcraft afficinado or anything, I didn't even know there were other options! Rails is something I've wanted to play with forever and just never end up doing it. Until this recent game of Factorio! lol

Does the better railroads mod come with things like the signals? That's about all I know how to do with rails at this point anyway.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ok, cool.

I'm not a railcraft afficinado or anything, I didn't even know there were other options! Rails is something I've wanted to play with forever and just never end up doing it. Until this recent game of Factorio! lol

Does the better railroads mod come with things like the signals? That's about all I know how to do with rails at this point anyway.
No signals, so you'll only be able to do Point A to Point B and back.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I think I'm at a point where it would be beneficial to get some "pre-alpha" feedback on the direction of the quest book & recipe changes. Stages are not yet implemented and most of the "research tree" is implemented up to green tier (and some blue tier sneaking in).

Anyone willing to give it a test (I recommend a creative world) of core mechanics?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just a demonstration of early game ore processing (on the left, on the right is an alternative way to split and supply coal to the furnaces). Furnaces are basically hidden under belts and blocks on this left hand setup. Plus the usual chests as buffers that are always needed in Minecraft.

2018-07-10_10.05.38.jpg

Same coal supply setup, using the next tier of technology (each piece of coal on the belt is actually a stack of 64 coal, and each inserter has a stack of coal held) - also added some colour to the inserter to make it more visually interesting.

2018-07-10_10.29.31.jpg

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks guys. Thanks should go to the Factorio Devs and the mod makers. I've just taken the pieces and assembled this puzzle.

I've been looking at the TechGuns mod and working out how to implement this.

First, a preview of the various machine blocks:
2018-07-10_19.27.18.jpg

Various 1 block sized machines for specific components, although one block will also be used in your main factory, it has functionality that doesn't exist in IE but does in Factorio.
A 2x2x2 crafter for very specific components and a 3x3x4 crafter for even more advanced stuff, plus a Titanium Processing method.
Both these 2 crafters are for the very advanced "fun" tech (laser, plasma, nuclear weapons....) all of which can be put on turrets.

Now the research tree. I'm planning on having every weapon require research, as well as the core materials and processing to be researched. Is this overkill? There's also going to be 2-3 sets of armour in each tier too. Let me know what you think. At this point you should have a "massive" factory setup and unlocking this tech for fun more then functionality.
2018-07-10_20.08.09.jpg

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've had a good old think about the military side of things, and have split it into two chapters. The new chapter are the advanced "fun toys" and completely optional.

The main military research unlocks a branch of weapons, and you choose then which weapon to research, more options than Factorio but then I don't have modular suits, drones, etc, so it's a fair balance in content.
Techguns has 40 unique weapons, and there's 15 on this chapter, a good number I'm totally ignoring, and the rest will be part of Advanced Military.

2018-07-11_14.00.00.jpg

As you'll see, I've also included Nanotechnology which is basically Mekanism, and Space and Beyond is a rough idea for end game, using Advanced Rocketry for automated asteroid mining missions, returning a unique ore that when processed can be turned into the top tier research points, which is basically used to "purchase" Dark Matter, which get's you into EMC technology which I feel is a suitable Minecraft alternative to the Rocket Launch process in Factorio.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Was "stress" testing the Metal Presses, looks like to keep a constant flow of Plates, you'll need 8 presses. With 4 there is still backlog.

2018-07-12_16.01.08.jpg

Going to be a lovely noisy factory.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Had one of those days where you've not achieved much, but have been tinkering all day.

Now I wonder what I've just been looking at:
2018-07-12_21.41.50.jpg

I've moved Plastic creation to the EFab, with Gas + Coal recipe similar to Factorio.

I'll be able to use the EFab for Coal Liquification, but the ability to crack oil I don't think is possible. 2 Liquid Inputs to produce 1 Liquid output. So I've kept the various outputs at default ratios that come with the mod, Diesel then can be used for Fuel, Gas used for Plastics, and Lubricants for the Electric Engine (and so High Tech Science Packs) or for giving various IE machines a speed boost (untested yet).
Solid Fuels do not seem relevant in this pack so can be ignored.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Daily update time (only because I'm off work on hols, but back next week - sadface )

EFab to the rescue again! Due to the issues with CraftTweaker compatibility with TechGuns, I've used the EFab to also be the Chemical Lab, as a result you can now:
Turn Coal + Gasoline into Plastic (detailed above)
Turn Water + Gasoline + Cobblestone into Sulfur (You need at least 1 "solid" item for the craft, so cobble is a nice junk item)
Turn 8 Basic Circuits + 1 Advanced Circuit + Small amount of Gasoline into Elite Control Circuit
Turn 1 Iron Plate + 1 Copper Plate + 20 Sulfuric Acid into a Battery (uncharged)

With the IE Mixer you can now also:
Turn 5 Sulfur + 1 Pulverized Iron + 100 water into 50 sulfuric acid
Turn 1 Gunpowder + 500 sulfuric acid into 500 Creeper Acid (used by TechGuns for the purification of Titanium)

Plus also now introduced the Production Science pack.

All recipe ratios at Factorio ratios until actual testing.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Nice! That’s using the EFab in an intelligent way, and really taking advantage of the flexible crafting it opens up!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So, here's a thing I found...

2018-07-13_20.27.11.jpg

When you want a break from building the factory, there's always a bit of adventuring...