Magic World: Where to Start?

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
No, I don't mean a walk-through.
I've used buildcraft & thermal exchange a bit before, but forestry, thaumcraft & mystcraft I haven't used.
Basic questions:
What things should I work on getting first that will help with other stuff later?
Is there anything I should be collecting that I'll need a supply of later? (ie starting a coke oven so I can get enough oil for rails)

Edit to add>
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific.
Beekeeping: Is this something that I should get started when I've found a hive? Or just collect any bees I find and save them for later?
Forestry: A lot of the machines are inter dependent; Are there any that I should get started early, cause they take time to make the resourced needed?
Thaumcraft: Is this just fun? or do you get stuff that's helpful? Is there anything that can replace some of the other machines?
Myst: How many ages (books) will it take to get most of the symbols?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to ask a question like this you'll get a ton of different answers relating to how people play their style.

You'll also get the "you start by digging" answers :p there's no set way, there's no guide, go dig and you'll expand from there, once you have ore.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you what I'm doing, I've also started with Magic World about a week ago and although I haven't progressed much, I think I have a basic idea of what I want to do.

Basically I'm building my MJ room, Iron Tank with a couple of Magma Crucibles and Liquiducts feeding lava to the Magmatic Engines powering various machinery. My next step is to create some Redstone Energy Cells, they will definitely come handy once I start messing with Forestry (lots of farms to power).

I'll start with Thaumcraft probably once I have set up a proper power flow and installed most of the basic machinery I need.

Btw, check the Miner's Backpack from Forestry, that item is SICK and it's really useful when you're caving...

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Beekeeping: Is this something that I should get started when I've found a hive? Or just collect any bees I find and save them for later?
Forestry: A lot of the machines are inter dependent; Are there any that I should get started early, cause they take time to make the resourced needed?
Thaumcraft: Is this just fun? or do you get stuff that's helpful? Is there anything that can replace some of the other machines?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

My tutorial on Mystcraft for Newbies (A reference guide for the rest of us). It should help you get started with Mystcraft.

Beekeeping is something that can take a lot of time to refine some of the higher tier species. It depends largely on what you want to do with it. I'd suggest about three or four apiaries by the time you want to get your peat bog going, so you can keep it running with wax capsules. But that's just me.

For Forestry, to get most of your automation going, you'll need a Thermionic Fabricator, but it's not particularly time consuming, just and additional machine and an additional step. You'll also need a Carpenter. I'd suggest you start with the peat bog and turbary since most of your Forestry automation will be running on Peat. Also, an actual Farm and Combine is a must, for seeds, which is one of the best sources of a particular TC3 essence that is used in literally half of the research.

Thaumcraft gets a lot of VERY fun stuff, and most of it is stuff that works alongside your machines, rather than replacing it. Golems can help with automation, for example. Wands can be used to get things going.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
You start by punching a tree.

Now to be serious, for thaumcraft you'll definitely want to get some scribing tools so you can make a research table. Researching items via the table saves you from polluting the aura while doing research (the other method is via cauldron and can cause a ton of pollution).

For forestry you'll probably want to look up some videos and builds to help with all the stuff it adds. The farming stuff is fairly easy to setup, for example, but if you place it in the wrong spot you'll suddenly see it eat a hole in your house. Also, if you plan to work with bees you'll want to read up on them as they can be difficult to work with if you're new to them. That said, beekeeping can help a lot in the long term via all the things they're able to help you produce. Since you have some experience with Buildcraft you should be able to setup the Forestry machines with minimal challenge so it shouldn't be too hard to get in to.

As for something to work on, if you have railcraft in the Magic Pack (haven't checked for it :X) then work towards a boiler system. You should be able to use Peat Bogs to fuel a solid boiler and you can setup biofuel production for some liquid boilers. Max sized high pressure boilers are what I would call a staple for MJ production in your main base. While they take longer to heat up than low pressure boilers, high pressure boilers produce twice the energy for the same amount of space, making them more space efficient while keeping the same fuel efficiency at max temperature. Each max sized high pressure boiler can produce steam equivalent to 144 MJ/t.

From there you can replace any low tier engines and connect them to your boiler in a variety of ways. You can either have golden waterproof pipes piping steam to an industrial steam engine that then powers a machine, or you could invest into some energy conduits and attach your steam engines directly to the boiler. The energy conduits act much like the conductive piping from BC, but are better at their job. you can also use Energy Cells to store any excess energy in your system for later use, such as to power quarries.

Basically, there's a ton of stuff you can work on and you should set some goals for yourself. My goal, once the Ultimate pack comes out, is to use TC3 levitators to send me above the clouds into where I'm going to build my massive sky fortress that will be the hub of my power creation and magic research, as well as a transport area to other dimensions. It's gonna be 5x5 chunks for most of the working area, with a roof that's slghtly bigger than 7x7 chunks. The roof will be an 8 pointed star with a created aura node on each point, and a larger node in the center of the area on the roof. I'll have all of this connected to the ground which will have my farming areas via tubing and energy conduits to keep the energy going. I don't know about you, but I think having a flying fortress in the sky sounds prety damn sweet.

Edit: With thaumcraft, Azanor has stated only about 25% of the planned content is in the game currently. There are several things in the mod which are useful, such as being able to transmute metals of one type into another, levitators that slow your fall or lift you up (and if stacked on top of each other increase this effect) and golems which act similar to pipes and can farm (not sure if the golems work with IC2 crops, if they do that could make them better than forestry farms). It also adds various fun items that have some functionaility, like the hungry chest which "eats" items dropped onto it (for use with the arcane furnace) and the brain in a jar, which draws nearby experience orbs into it and you can get them out by hitting it....but it stares at you. There are also weapons such as the fire and lightning wand, as well as an excavation wand and a wand that lets you replace blocks with other blocks in your inventory (such as replacing a large amount of obsidian with dirt).

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Just started a Magic World save today too! In terms of progress in the game I think you should work on Mystcraft (great for getting ore-heavy worlds) and getting a Macerator to double your ores. But in my opinion, I think you should focus on Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest. (You're playing a 'Magic World', why would you focus on tech mods? :))

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
One word of caution: Don't get too attached to where you start with Thaumcraft. Your wizard tower (or whatever you like to build for your magic lab) works best if it's in an area with high aura. There isn't a good way to tell what the local aura is until you are able to craft the goggles... so you may end up needing to move your lab after crafting those.

Good news is you can probably settle down once you get past those and are able to make the filters, storage jars and tallow golems.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
One word of caution: Don't get too attached to where you start with Thaumcraft. Your wizard tower (or whatever you like to build for your magic lab) works best if it's in an area with high aura. There isn't a good way to tell what the local aura is until you are able to craft the goggles... so you may end up needing to move your lab after crafting those.

Good news is you can probably settle down once you get past those and are able to make the filters, storage jars and tallow golems.
Also good news is that you can use Linking Books to get back and forth, via a nexus in the Twilight Forest or the Nether or simply another Age. Traversing thousands of blocks is as easy as clicking a couple of books.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019

I'm not so sure about the high aura being required I found that my paltry 67 vis node in an EXBL wasteland was fine I was running a lot of Thaum stuff (including an arcane furnace) and the node while it drained completely fairly often was also pathetic enough that every node within range was able to recharge it fairly quickly and there is also the ability to create larger nodes via Silverwoods once you have a need of it, so basically settle wherever and if your local node is too weak for your liking once you can see it, grow it later :)