Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Free bonemeal substitute from animal poop via sewage, fairly easy self sustaining power with the bio reactor, rocket launcher, long range lava gun (needle gun), and the awesomeness that is Red Net. It is easy to learn and extremely worth it.

Forestry ethanol is self-sustaining, and white wool into Pulverizer makes plenty of bone meal, with said white wool coming from golem-farmed cotton.

I guess RedNet is about it from that list. High-tech weapons don't really fit in MF2, IMHO. The bow and wand are more appropriate, IMHO. Again, my opinion.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry ethanol is self-sustaining, and white wool into Pulverizer makes plenty of bone meal, with said white wool coming from golem-farmed cotton.

I guess RedNet is about it from that list. High-tech weapons don't really fit in MF2, IMHO. The bow and wand are more appropriate, IMHO. Again, my opinion.
You just missed Jaded's post saying that magic is in no way the center of the pack.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Y'all are reading way too much into the name. The original name of this pack was "Agrian Technomancy" . People thought that was too hard to say. IT IS NOT A MAGIC PACK. The name is based off a game called Magic Farm... where you have to farm things and fight monsters to survive. To play this pack the way it is designed to work you can remove every single magic mod. If you remove the tech mods it no longer comes close to what I had in mind.

Ah...

There's a lot in a name, though. When I saw MagicFarm and TC4, I immediately had "golems tending fields and trees" in mind as one of my mid/end-game goals. I was largely attracted to MF2 to up the challenge a bit and to use less tech. for a change.

Your vision of MF2 is obviously valid and of course critical since you are the mod-pack developer, owner, and maintainer. With that said, I'm very glad that MF2 can be enjoyed by a wide variety of players - techno-centric and magic-centric alike - and still retain the core experience.[DOUBLEPOST=1392830771][/DOUBLEPOST]
You just missed Jaded's post saying that magic is in no way the center of the pack.

Obviously.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
You get bonemeal from wool??? I never knew that! Do you get lapis from blue wool? Hm, could you could autocraft the string back into wool, and get unlimited bonemeal from 1 wool?

You indeed can, but I use it mainly to:

9 cotton --> 1 wool
1 wool --> 4 string

Hence, 4 string : 9 cotton

This is more efficient than directly converting cotton to string, which has a 1 : 3 (3 : 9) ratio.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
You get bonemeal from wool??? I never knew that! Do you get lapis from blue wool? Hm, could you could autocraft the string back into wool, and get unlimited bonemeal from 1 wool?

There is already a thread on this topic and how to best "automate" it. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/infinite-lapis-lazuli.40509/

Y'all are reading way too much into the name. The original name of this pack was "Agrian Technomancy" . People thought that was too hard to say. IT IS NOT A MAGIC PACK. The name is based off a game called Magic Farm... where you have to farm things and fight monsters to survive. To play this pack the way it is designed to work you can remove every single magic mod. If you remove the tech mods it no longer comes close to what I had in mind.

MFR is your mass power source. It runs on having different types of seeds/saplings. Think about how many types of saplings and seeds there are in MF2. Using those to make a massive amount of energy with bioreactors is the most obvious way of getting power. Everything in this pack is built around the idea of having multiple massive farms both plant and mob. "Farm" is the key word.. not magic. The laser drill is one of the best automated mining options... and it is going to suck up 20k rf/t

MFR can farm mana beans, harvestcraft plants and trees, forestry trees etc.

TC4 , Blood Magic and TT are in there as an option for people who dislike tech and prefer to use magic. They are not the core of the pack.

I never knew that. I had always assumed the tech mods were there for automation purposes, not as a core provision. I had figured out the fighting mob portion of the pack, and now that you mention it I seem to recall you mentioning the game twin before.

It's too bad buildcraft isn't in the pack (not for the filler and quarry, but for the pipes and gates). I've always liked the forestry biogas engines. It's a shame there is no way to use them well in the pack.

With the farm portion being the key, I understand why some of the mods and blocks are removed from the game as it detracts from the farming aspect. You have given me a different goal to try this time around--A technical perspective on the mod pack.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It's too bad buildcraft isn't in the pack (not for the filler and quarry, but for the pipes and gates). I've always liked the forestry biogas engines. It's a shame there is no way to use them well in the pack.

Haven't played MF2 in a minute but doesn't it have XU? And if so don't the power transfer nodes accept MJ(As well as auto-converting to RF)?

Reactions: Not_Steve

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't played MF2 in a minute but doesn't it have XU? And if so don't the power transfer nodes accept MJ(As well as auto-converting to RF)?

I believe all the nodes from XU are disabled in MF2.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Y'all are reading way too much into the name. The original name of this pack was "Agrian Technomancy" . People thought that was too hard to say.
The correct word, "Agrarian", would be even harder to say. But let's not let the discussion get "sour" over a mis-spelling (you need to know Spanish to get that pun - "Agrian" means "sour, bitter", presumably related to the French "aigre", as in "vinegar", "sour wine"). :p

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The correct word, "Agrarian", would be even harder to say. But let's not let the discussion get "sour" over a mis-spelling (you need to know Spanish to get that pun - "Agrian" means "sour, bitter", presumably related to the French "aigre", as in "vinegar", "sour wine"). :p

It was late :p

Sam Cooper

Jul 29, 2019
@Jadedcat Is there any plan to update to the latest Extra Utilities? Keen to see the new Ender Quarry especially if it is as server friendly as it is expected to be.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Well, MF2 *does* have the Forestry Fermenter block and Agriculture vinegar item ;-)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
No, by well, I mean no power pipes to transfer the power from point A to point B. AFAIK, rf conduits do not accept input from bc engines anymore.

Ahh...right, duh. About the best you could do is power other MJ consumers directly.

Sam Cooper

Jul 29, 2019
@Jadedcat Many many thanks for the update for Extra Utilities! (I don't, for one second, think it was because of my request, but thank you anyway!) :)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Many thanks for the update as well. Lol ore regen. From 212 to 213. And I swear the orereg is like 2twice what it should be. Fix it aftder I mine it all lol

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Many thanks for the update as well. Lol ore regen. From 212 to 213. And I swear the orereg is like 2twice what it should be. Fix it aftder I mine it all lol

Yeah the regen portion is going to make preexisting chunks a bit... ore heavy.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
hm... I think the infernal mobs are really getting glitchy. Just had a fireshot invisible zombie see me and shoot through glass.