Lycanites Mobs - Feedback and Bugs

Greymerk

Jul 29, 2019
Mods that add mobs and use their own EntityList (such as my mod) should use EntityRegistry.registerModEntity, it adds a mapping to the vanilla EntityList class which has several static maps, such as EntityList.stringToClassMapping, if you loop through one of those you'll get what you need (it normally adds them as 'ModID.MobName' for example 'DemonMobs.Belph'). Some mods might not use the forge registry in which case they can still manually add their mobs to the list or they just use the vanilla list, in this case it'll just be 'MobName'.

I think changing the spawners is just a matter of changing the mob name from there, I'm not entirely certain though.

Ahh cool. I'll give that a try, printing out the EntityList mapping thing. Interesting idea.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
The chocobo mod has a cool idea there, I might follow suit, it's better than creating a system where I have to store which player knows what etc, instead just right click a mob with a book and quill.

Yeah I think I have a fix this, I'll try and update later today with it, basically they will only spawn if they can see the sky.

That's not how you fix that. What you do is add a blind version that's dose twice as much damage with half the defense. And then another identical one with twice the defense and double the damage and stick them underground. :D

Reactions: Eyamaz

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Can you imagen a mob with a AI like that though. You make noise and it can hear you. Hearing heartbeats at x range. Your foot steps at a farther range. And Mining sounds at a far distant range. And say falling gravel will draw every one of them on the map. :D

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Can you imagen a mob with a AI like that though. You make noise and it can hear you. Hearing heartbeats at x range. Your foot steps at a farther range. And Mining sounds at a far distant range. And say falling gravel will draw every one of them on the map. :D

The mod for that is called Zombie Awareness. They're sensitive to light, sound and the smell of blood (injured players).

Lycanite

Jul 29, 2019
A word of warning about the latest version 1.4.3, the Mob Spawn Type config setting is broken and will spawn all mobs as Monster even with the default settings. I've corrected the issue and after some tests I will try and release an update ASAP.
1.4.4 will also have some new config settings that allow their native Dimensions and Biome Types (such as FOREST, NETHER, WASTELAND, not the actual biomes themselves but their groups) to be changed and it would also allow for additional custom item drops to be added to each mob, the default drops cannot be changed for now though, but if you want to add a mod item to drop from one of the mobs, you can do that in the config, metadata, chance, min amount and max amount are all supported.

I've toyed with the idea of blind mobs before, the Crusk was going to be blind and would only see players at a very close range unless the player was sprinting and would not be able to see sneaking players at all, but it didn't seem that important in Minecraft, but I suppose I if they had more health and did more damage sneaking past blind mobs would make more sense, the problem is a lot of players don't really figure these things out and the mob just becomes an OP thing, but that's what difficulty settings are for I guess so perhaps I could look into a blind mob.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
A word of warning about the latest version 1.4.3, the Mob Spawn Type config setting is broken and will spawn all mobs as Monster even with the default settings. I've corrected the issue and after some tests I will try and release an update ASAP.
1.4.4 will also have some new config settings that allow their native Dimensions and Biome Types (such as FOREST, NETHER, WASTELAND, not the actual biomes themselves but their groups) to be changed and it would also allow for additional custom item drops to be added to each mob, the default drops cannot be changed for now though, but if you want to add a mod item to drop from one of the mobs, you can do that in the config, metadata, chance, min amount and max amount are all supported.

I've toyed with the idea of blind mobs before, the Crusk was going to be blind and would only see players at a very close range unless the player was sprinting and would not be able to see sneaking players at all, but it didn't seem that important in Minecraft, but I suppose I if they had more health and did more damage sneaking past blind mobs would make more sense, the problem is a lot of players don't really figure these things out and the mob just becomes an OP thing, but that's what difficulty settings are for I guess so perhaps I could look into a blind mob.
That's why in-game book would help! Alright, sorry if I'm being annoying at this point.

Lycanite

Jul 29, 2019
I've updated to 1.4.4, this fixes the mob spawning issues of 1.4.3 and adds three big config settings: Spawn Biome Type, Spawn Dimension and Custom Item Drops, see the config page of the mod website for the useage.
I've also added 2 new mobs the Cinder (fire spirit that spawns near fire) and the Reiver (ice spirit that spawns in FROZEN biomes).

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I've updated to 1.4.4, this fixes the mob spawning issues of 1.4.3 and adds three big config settings: Spawn Biome Type, Spawn Dimension and Custom Item Drops, see the config page of the mod website for the useage.
I've also added 2 new mobs the Cinder (fire spirit that spawns near fire) and the Reiver (ice spirit that spawns in FROZEN biomes).

O.O
I can't wait to look at this when I get out of work tonight!

Reactions: Lycanite

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Great as if killer trees weren't bad enough. What's next killer cobble. Suggestion. suggestion. Think silverfish but nastier. You could even make versions of other blocks. Ones that say blend in with ore spawns. "Oh look diamonds... AHHH the diamonds are eating me!!!" :D whahaha.
Better yet. Two versions. One a moderately bad enemy and another that is MUCH STRONGER ether passive or only attacks bad mobs. Unless you accidentally attack it. If you do it will rip your face off. :D

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Bosses. I'm waiting for bosses :p
YES, maybe one awesome boss per Nether Fortress or something? Or something else super awesome and rare, like a rare spawn in dungeons and such too? And you get awesome drops from them?

JaredBGreat

Feb 4, 2014
Creator of Doomlike Dungeons here. Just so you know, its now out of WIP (and I'm taking a break, since I get obsessive about projects like this and over do it 'til I'm worn out). It will probably never be as fancy as Roguelike Dungeons in many since its aimed at a different niche -- interesting places to find while exploring, rather than creating a dungeon centered game. Lycanite has kindly created a set of themes with his mobs in it ready go though; very helpful thing to have premade.

Oh, and it looks like its time to get the new mobs. BTW, in 1.4.2 I saw raptors coming from spawners, but in 1.4.2 that seemed to stop spawning.

Last edited:

Lycanite

Jul 29, 2019
Bosses will be fun indeed, I'm gonna try and get 2 bosses per mob pack going, but this will be once I've finished all the main mobs along with their rare breeds, more weapons and armor. One boss will be found in a special dungeon of some sort and the other will be summoned by building a ritual.

Creator of Doomlike Dungeons here. Just so you know, its now out of WIP (and I'm taking a break, since I get obsessive about projects like this and over do it 'til I'm worn out). It will probably never be as fancy as Roguelike Dungeons in many since its aimed at a different niche -- interesting places to find while exploring, rather than creating a dungeon centered game. Lycanite has kindly created a set of themes with his mobs in it ready go though; very helpful thing to have premade.

Oh, and it looks like its time to get the new mobs. BTW, in 1.4.2 I saw raptors coming from spawners, but in 1.4.2 that seemed to stop spawning.
Yeah, the new code that allows them to only spawn above ground is interfering, they're supposed to check for any nearby spawners first which will then cause them to ignore certain rules, but the spawner detection seems to not be working, so I'll work on that for the next update.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Lycanite

Jul 29, 2019
Another update is out, mod version 1.4.5, I strongly recommend this as it should finally fix the spawning issues, there was a bit of a Pinky problem in 1.4.4, also Dwellers should spawn again and support for Mob Spawners has been fixed up. The config will need to be completely regenerated too so some errors will be logged and some spawning might be a bit off. If Pinkies are still taking over the Nether, setting them as MONSTER instead of CREATURE in the config and setting Desapwn Naturally to true will fix things.

Also there are new config options for custom item drops, so if you want to integrate Lycanites Mobs with the other mods more, you can add items from other mods as drops to each mob, see the Config page on the website for info on how the config all works.

Calabrel

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I get that this is kind of necro, but... I love the pack. However, my normal practice of enclosing the nether-side of my nether portal has plagued me with an unusual amount of belphs awaiting me in ambush.

They seem to spawn at/by the nether portal. I walked in there yesterday and... well, I don't know how many there were when they started, but after 7 deaths and me finally killing them all, I had about 120 nether wart, so you do the math.

Is there any way to disable their ability to spawn right on top/by the nether portal?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I get that this is kind of necro, but... I love the pack. However, my normal practice of enclosing the nether-side of my nether portal has plagued me with an unusual amount of belphs awaiting me in ambush.

They seem to spawn at/by the nether portal. I walked in there yesterday and... well, I don't know how many there were when they started, but after 7 deaths and me finally killing them all, I had about 120 nether wart, so you do the math.

Is there any way to disable their ability to spawn right on top/by the nether portal?
Yeah I get this too. I remedy it by making a TinkersMechworks drawbridge to act as a heavy door and perch a grinder in front of it. This mechanic should stay for the overworld but on the nether side it shouldn't happen. Then again the code probably makes no distinction as to whether a portal is in the nether or over-world so I can't be sure if this is doable.
Having them sprawl out of the portal does have a cool Doom style feel.
I wonder if this mechanic affects mods like Enhanced portals or Mystcraft portals?

Lycanite

Jul 29, 2019

I made this thread so that it could be constantly used and that I get email alerts when this thread is posted on, so it's not necro posting don't worry!
You can disable Portal spawning via the lycanitesmobs.cfg config file, in newer versions it's in the lycanitesmobs-spawning.cfg config.
Belphs should have an area based spawn limit unless they're spreading out really far, so I'll run some tests on that to make sure it's working in newer versions.

Reactions: AlCapella

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Those Imp...umm I mean blelphs are quite a pain in the ass, I'm just thankful you didn't add shotgun guys...

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
TBH, while I love the content, when I enabled this mod for my Monster server I got frequent crashes, mostly related to potion effects. Setting *ALL* effects to 0 in the config helped it somewhat, but I still got frequent crashes until I disabled the mod. This makes me sad because the monsters were really fun (My friend developed a hate for the Jabberwocks because of so many deaths to them), but I couldn't see any way to resolve all the crashing problems. :(