Logic Matrix Programmer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
OOOK so I can make a Logic Matrix in a Crystallizer. And I can kill a spider to get a spider eye. Now I need this Logic Matrix Programmer item...

I looked around the internetz for a 'how to' on this thing, but found nothing. I asked on my server, and got this answer:
"You can't craft it, it is only available in random chests"

o_O

Does anyone else find this disturbing? I play minecraft, and specifically the Tech mods so I can -make- stuff. Having to search out chests all over the world in hopes of finding this specific item goes against my idea of working/grinding through techs to get to a big end goal.

Or, is my source of info incorrect and there is a recipe somewhere?

Thanks!

Phycoz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure you can only find it in chests as loot. Factorization is kind of an iffy mod.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
OOOK so I can make a Logic Matrix in a Crystallizer. And I can kill a spider to get a spider eye. Now I need this Logic Matrix Programmer item...

I looked around the internetz for a 'how to' on this thing, but found nothing. I asked on my server, and got this answer:
"You can't craft it, it is only available in random chests"

o_O

Does anyone else find this disturbing? I play minecraft, and specifically the Tech mods so I can -make- stuff. Having to search out chests all over the world in hopes of finding this specific item goes against my idea of working/grinding through techs to get to a big end goal.

Or, is my source of info incorrect and there is a recipe somewhere?

Thanks!
Chests only.

Not overtly rare though. Grab yourself one of those TC picks and look for the leaf thingy aspects underground. You'll find one soon enough. They're not exactly rare at all.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to find far too many of them, between dungeons, Thaumcraft dungeons and hollow hills.

It is not rare to have at least 2 or 3 when you explore your world for a bit.

Matthew83

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah every world I've started I have found on or two in dungeons near my spawn. I've yet to progress too far to know what to do with them so I just keep em in a junk chest.

I can understand the frustration on a server where other people may have already looted many dungeons.

Yeti

Jul 29, 2019
For the record, i have found 2 in chests under the Greatwood trees that contain spider spawners... last pack, i looked all over for ONE and was never successful.

I now have about 7...

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I found them in either spawner rooms or random chests inside of those abandonded mineshafts (or are these the "dungeons" you wrote about?). Not that I needed one up to now. ;) But vice versa, I wanted to find a desert biome for a single darn cinderwood flower - flew over an ocean biome (normal, not large word gen) for 1 hour straight.. not counting a handful of volcanoes and islands, I finally returned by tp'ing home. Guess what, I walked the other direction and yeah, just behind that tiny djungle biome was a huge desert. Case of bad luck. ;)

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I've found several as well, but I agree with the OP. Making the programmer be a noncraftable item is a headscratcher decision.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if you know this, but the LMP is not used in crafting. Therefore you only ever need to find one. You can even make a copy and keep the original - so if anybody else on your server (if you're playing on a server) found one, just ask them nicely. And as others say, if you haven't found one already, you're either not at the stage when you need one, or you've been incredibly unlucky.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization is in dire need of some touchup work. Someone should wire it into universal electricity; then it'd suddenly become 10x better. And also make the programmer craftable.

The thing is, the Machine Filter is actually not very good in a mixed mod game. It's not even strictly necessary with TE machines. I was excited to find 2, but the routers are so limited in what they can recognize that it almost doesn't make sense to use them.

That said, Factorization is an awesome mod and most people don't realize its potential. For example, if your starter hut does not contain a slag furnace you are doing ftb wrong. The mod stretches the ore processing curve out along a very long tech curve, but the very first part can start with just cobblestone. It's a very good design decision.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if you know this, but the LMP is not used in crafting. Therefore you only ever need to find one. You can even make a copy and keep the original - so if anybody else on your server (if you're playing on a server) found one, just ask them nicely. And as others say, if you haven't found one already, you're either not at the stage when you need one, or you've been incredibly unlucky.
Yes I know it isn't consumed. I found someone who had one and borrowed his.

I don't think you have any basis to judge whether or not I am at a point to need one; I'm not sure why you think slogging through dungeons or scouring the world for great wood trees is the stick by which we measure progress in such a sandbox game...

My point was the method of delivery of this particular item feels wrong for the game, that's all. It definitely goes against my preferred method of playing.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, the Machine Filter is actually not very good in a mixed mod game. It's not even strictly necessary with TE machines. I was excited to find 2, but the routers are so limited in what they can recognize that it almost doesn't make sense to use them.
THIS.

The one time I tried to use a Router, it was to feed stuff into a bank of Macerators, then have another router collect the output and feed it to a chest.

I couldn't get the wretched thing to work properly. The Machine Filter won't recognize Macerators.

But yeah, Dungeons aren't terribly hard to find. Just make an X-Ray Machine (a sticky piston that pushes a block of glowstone into your skull, so you see through the terrain) and go looking for rectangles under the terrain. The Logic Matrix spawn rate is fairly high, you'll probably find one after the 2nd or 3rd Dungeon.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
But yeah, Dungeons aren't terribly hard to find. Just make an X-Ray Machine (a sticky piston that pushes a block of glowstone into your skull, so you see through the terrain) and go looking for rectangles under the terrain. The Logic Matrix spawn rate is fairly high, you'll probably find one after the 2nd or 3rd Dungeon.
Is this a joke? :D use an exploit to find dungeons to get this item. That right there is a pretty strong indicator that this piece of the router upgrade is poorly implemented.

Anyway, my problem isn't finding one to use -- i located and used one rather quickly. But, I've never seen one in the wild, mainly because dungeon hunting isn't my style of play. My entire beef is that this somewhat advanced piece of tech which you craft up with some significant effort relies on a chest-drop to complete.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Meh just get one from someone else and make a copy of it, it's not hard work to find one they are all over the place.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Is this a joke? :D use an exploit to find dungeons to get this item. That right there is a pretty strong indicator that this piece of the router upgrade is poorly implemented.
If it were an exploit, it would be fixed.

This has existed since 1.0 (2 years). It has long since become a feature.

Nobody disagrees using dungeon chests is a lame way to get the Logic Matrix. But it's what the mod author programmed. If you don't like it, don't use the mod.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
If it were an exploit, it would be fixed.

This has existed since 1.0 (2 years). It has long since become a feature.
Just because it's not fixed doesn't mean it's not an exploit. It's pretty obviously not intended behavior, and a bit of a rendering bug. It's not fixed because they haven't been able to fix it. I don't really care if you use it or not, but keep that in mind just in case they ever come up with a working solution to fix it so you don't get all bent out of shape like people did over the fix to BUD chaining :p

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Is Factorization open source? It'd be easy to fix this problem if it was. I'd also love to give a whack at offering a patch to make the machines talk to Universal Electricity. It'd be a nice warm up for my other project.

Reactions: AlanEsh

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, requiring a dungeon loot for a vital piece of the mod's tech tree just seems bizarre for me, no matter how common it is. It would be like if non-GregTech IC2 wires needed saddles to craft. It puts you completely at the mercy of the RNG and/or the other server players. At least Thaumcraft's knowledge fragments are only for mostly "fringe" researches instead of core requirements.

With that said, I still love Factorization. Barrels are amazing, and the Router is an interesting, if crippled, alternative to the usual pipes all the other logistic mods have.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
Make a mystcraft age with the plains, flat, and dungeons symbols. This will make it easy to spot TC dungeons and... I'll call them aura node chests (they spawn on the surface on obsidian platforms. Logic matrices are frequently found in both. I also find them beneath cave spider greatwood trees.

I made one of these ages to hunt for cows and chickens and ended up with more matrices than I knew what to do with.

Reactions: SpitefulFox