Logic Matrix Programmer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I'm using the Mindcrack FTB modpack, and this includes Twilight Forest which gives the chance to find an Uncrafting Table which, when aforementioned Logic Matrix Programmer is inserted into the left-most square will give you a recipe that will grant you not only a Logic Matrix Programmer it will also give you a Logic Matrix and a Dark Iron Ingot.

Dark Iron ingots are used in a lot of recipes related to Factorization and are pretty hard to get otherwise, requiring you to get Nether Bricks from the Nether to craft the special bricks needed for the furnace that makes dark iron ingots.

I'm not sure it was intended to make Dark Iron so easily with one item from one particular mod, all you need is the aforementioned Logic Matrix Programmer, an Uncrafting Table, and an XP collection method and you'll have all the Dark Iron Ingots you'll ever want.

Mind you the Uncrafting Tables are in those Hollow Hills in the Twilight Forest, so you do need to take a bit of risk to go finding them due to the mobs that spawn there so it might be fairly well balanced but once you have the above mentioned set up you're basically rolling in Dark Iron Ingots.

I really think they should have balanced it a bit better for the Mindcrack FTB pack anyway, and I'm not sure I like having a recursively usable item that is for practical purposes infinite. Crafting in Minecraft has always about consuming one set of items to make another, and apart from sandstone blocks being able to make themselves over and over again in the same quantity, has never had any items that can be increased in number through duplication of an item.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Dark Iron ingots are not hard to make you simply take a block of iron and hit it with a wrath igniter, you don't need a wrath furnace.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Dark Iron ingots are not hard to make you simply take a block of iron and hit it with a wrath igniter, you don't need a wrath furnace.
Which is nearly worse than a one time build like the furnace (considering its' four time use durability). Nether Bricks + Diamond Shard = Nether visited, a Block of diamond, the craftpacket machine and whatnot. I'd rather gather the bricks and some magmacream. ;)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually better to light a big floor of iron blocks. The igniters aren't really cheap. Wrathforges are neat, but you supposedly only get 16 blocks per ignition.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
A fun aside... I, like a moron, made my first set of 16 Wrath Lamps by creating all the components for the recipe including... 16 wrath igniters. Doh.

Reactions: Poppycocks

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually better to light a big floor of iron blocks. The igniters aren't really cheap. Wrathforges are neat, but you still only get 16 blocks per ignition.

Wrath fire seems to stick around on netherbrick, so it'd be even better to set a netherbrick on fire, and use that to make your dark iron. And, if possible, use a turtle to do it for you as the dark iron has a bothersome habit of trying to fly forward into the wrath fire.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Wrath fire seems to stick around on netherbrick, so it'd be even better to set a netherbrick on fire, and use that to make your dark iron. And, if possible, use a turtle to do it for you as the dark iron has a bothersome habit of trying to fly forward into the wrath fire.
That's the wrathforge. Works best if you surround the wrathfire with more netherbricks. Stick the iron in with a sticky piston. This could be fully automated with a sticky piston, deployer and b-breaker. The problem is that said fire goes out after some time.

Last I heard it's 16 blocks, haven't tested myself yet.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That's the wrathforge. Works best if you surround the wrathfire with more netherbricks. Stick the iron in with a sticky piston. This could be fully automated with a sticky piston, deployer and b-breaker. The problem is that said fire goes out after some time.

Last I heard it's 16 blocks, haven't tested myself yet.

Ah, so that is what it is called. And I've found that a turtle programmed to place the block, wait five seconds, and then mine the block work the best if you want 100% yield and don't mind the wait.

That aside, though, I've yet to see the wrathforge I set up weeks ago go out. It is netherbrick except for one side (as that looked the best), so that may be a factor involved in why it has yet to go out.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so that is what it is called. And I've found that a turtle programmed to place the block, wait five seconds, and then mine the block work the best if you want 100% yield and don't mind the wait.

That aside, though, I've yet to see the wrathforge I set up weeks ago go out. It is netherbrick except for one side (as that looked the best), so that may be a factor involved in why it has yet to go out.
Yeah, as I've said, the 16 blocks are complete hearsay, although I did read about it in the factorization thread. I really should investigate.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
If you watch the wrath flame as you make dark iron in a wrathforge, you can watch the flame get dimmer/smaller. If you wait for a little bit it will go back to full strength. It is quite possible 16 uses is the maximum possible without allowing it to heat back up.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I really think they should have balanced it a bit better for the Mindcrack FTB pack anyway, and I'm not sure I like having a recursively usable item that is for practical purposes infinite. Crafting in Minecraft has always about consuming one set of items to make another, and apart from sandstone blocks being able to make themselves over and over again in the same quantity, has never had any items that can be increased in number through duplication of an item.

What you just described is what most people would refer to as an "exploit." I'm 100% positive the author of the Twilight Forest did not think "Gee, maybe someone will eventually write a mod with a self-duplicating recipe." when he created the Uncrafting Table.

KoreRekon

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, as I've said, the 16 blocks are complete hearsay, although I did read about it in the factorization thread. I really should investigate.
I'm pretty sure my wrath forge has done over 16 blocks. I read somewhere that if you repeatedly put blocks in it then it will go out, but if you give it a bit of time between every couple blocks then it will recharge. So basically, it will create infinite blocks as long as you don't create them too fast. I haven't tested it, and I have no clue where I read it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If it were an exploit, it would be fixed.

Wow. Just wow. Independant thought and right-vs-wrong decision making don't exist. No wonder people thought duping platinum was perfectly fine.

Fwiw: Xray vision in the game is clearly a negative exploitation of programming mechanics.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

I decided to try and see if I could trim down the times, and I found that the lowest I could have the delay set to was 1.8 seconds without getting any iron blocks picked back up. Normally it happens in under a second, but sometimes it takes a bit of time.

And the flame appears to run out if I go faster than four seconds per dark iron block, so I just set it to wait four seconds in total which, along with a minor delay in switching internal inventory slots, appears to allow me to go through a few stacks of iron blocks without running out of my wrath fire.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure my wrath forge has done over 16 blocks. I read somewhere that if you repeatedly put blocks in it then it will go out, but if you give it a bit of time between every couple blocks then it will recharge. So basically, it will create infinite blocks as long as you don't create them too fast. I haven't tested it, and I have no clue where I read it.

I had a turtle repeatably place iron blocks and mine dark iron blocks rapid fire for three stacks of iron blocks. I used a multiblock 3x3x3 construct of all nether bricks with a hole for the fire and access to it), which keep the "wrath heat" up

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I had a turtle repeatably place iron blocks and mine dark iron blocks rapid fire for three stacks of iron blocks. I used a multiblock 3x3x3 construct of all nether bricks with a hole for the fire and access to it), which keep the "wrath heat" up

Did you use any sort of delay in your code, and if so, what was that value set to for the time delay between placing the iron block and mining the iron block? If you have yours try and mine it too fast, you may often get iron blocks that have not changed, which will prolong the amount of time it takes to fully transform your entire stack. It would also likely allow the wrath flame to regenerate, which would explain why you had not noticed this issue.

If possible, could you please post your turtle's code? For reference, this is what my turtle uses:
Code:
print("Dark iron process GO!")
while turtle.place() do
print("Placed iron block, waiting...")
turtle.select(9)
sleep(4)
turtle.dig()
print("Harvested dark iron block!")

turtle.select(1)
end
print("Process completed!")

~~~

Actually, now that I'm running it again to test, I'm seeing that it is running out sometimes. I'm going to start playing with the timing (again, arg!). I'm seeing between 32 to 38 stacks of dark iron off a single wrath flame with a four second delay thus far.

~~~

And to doubly confirm, I had a turtle put a delay of ten seconds per block, and I'm still getting thirty-six blocks per wrath flame. The design of my wrath forge is two solid nine by nine layers of nether brick, and then a nine by nine layer in the middle with a hole in the side for my turtle to look into the system.

I am not really sure why I am seeing a difference, except that my tests were all done on single player versus these being done on my server, which should not make a difference. Can anyone else confirm if they are able to have a stable return on dark iron?

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. Just wow. Independant thought and right-vs-wrong decision making don't exist. No wonder people thought duping platinum was perfectly fine.

Fwiw: Xray vision in the game is clearly a negative exploitation of programming mechanics.
It's Minecraft. Where does the line end for creativity and begin for exploit?

Ultimately, the game is what you want it to be. That's why Creative mode exists. Why are you getting your panties in a bunch over a game that has god-mode built-in?

Duping? What platinum duping? You mean using Rich Slag to make more platinum, which is used to make Iridium? You realize you need to mine 24 ore blocks to make enough rich slag for 1 iridium, right? That's kind of hard to do by hand... you know, like vanilla Minecraft. Oh, you're using a Quarry? Exploit!

Platinum was hardly an exploit. Maybe a balance issue for large servers, which is why the author corrected it. At one time he thought it was fair, since it was clearly added in. The RP2 canvas bag bug on the other hand is an exploit.