[Listed] 1.7.10 - Simply Magic [HQM][Magic][Light][Tutorial-Themed]

Mindfeak926

Jul 29, 2019
Are chickens dropping feathers disabled in this pack? I have not gotten a single shed feather from my farm. I thought Botania added that feature.

J

JoshQuest1

Did Moonstone Meteors break in 1.1.2?
I'm trying with the flicker focus and I'm getting nothing for many nights on both my multiplayer server, and single player.
(In the previous version I know meteors worked.)

Can someone confirm getting a moonstone meteor in 1.1.2+?

forsaken1111

Jul 29, 2019
Did anything change in 1.1.3 as far as Ars Magica goes? Updated my server from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 and my AM2 flight spell no longer functions. The potion IDs match on server and client, not sure what else would cause it?

Edit: Nevermind. I still had flight on from the last time I exited which I guess confused it. I let that run out and re-applied flight and now it works fine.

I can confirm that I have moonstone meteors in 1.1.3, never got one in 1.1.2

Last edited:

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Is there anything magical about it other than name? IT looks like a plant-based Ex Nihilo.
Yeah it kinda is. You'd also need agricraft. I think it would be cool to add to the pack though, and I might just add it to my own instance.

Z

Zieg777

Eh, I'm happy without Magical Crops. Why bother with a Botania quarry or Orechid if you can just grow iron?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Is there a reason why most Open Blocks items are uncraftable? Glider in particular would synergise great with Botania Rod of the Sky or Ars Magica Jump spell

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Regarding ores, The calefactor needs all 3 types to double ores (and glass, smooth stone, just about everything but charcoal).
It is doubling charcoal too for me. Three stacks of birch in, six stacks of charcoal out.

Now I'm wondering, should I path my treefarm output through it before feeding it to Botania, or it would eat too much Ars Magica energies to be worth it.
Is there a way to automate feeding Neutral AS Magica Obelisk with Vitreum? I can't stick hopper to it.

Last edited:
Z

Zieg777

Why bother with a hopper?

I've got mine using item transport flickers. Simply stick a set export crystal on the bottom of the obelisk.(edit, set to vinteum if that wasnt clear)

If you wanna involve more mods, another setup I use has a transvector interface linked to the obelisk. I can then use the set export crystal on a chest that is hoppering to the TVI (which of course links to the obelisk).

What I'd recommend though is to have that set export crystal on the obelisk be the lowest number for priority (Highest priority). Then have your vinteum storage (chest, barrel, etc) be a higher number (lower priority). That ensures that your obelisk always receives vinteum if it has less than a stack, but excess can go to your storage.

Vinteum/Neutral power is incredibly cheap, put the pillars and chalk around your obelisk. I tend to do 2 mana foci and 1 charge foci in the calefactors. They could be faster, yes, but this ensures that it doesnt chew through all my power. Vinteum is generated in abundance, but if you've got an array of calefactors (why stop at one once you've got flickers sending items to be smelted), they'll chew through your light etherium. Dark can be fine if you've got a way of spawning mobs, but light is the slowest by far.

Reactions: Tylor

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Vinteum/Neutral power is incredibly cheap, put the pillars and chalk around your obelisk. I tend to do 2 mana foci and 1 charge foci in the calefactors. They could be faster, yes, but this ensures that it doesnt chew through all my power. Vinteum is generated in abundance, but if you've got an array of calefactors (why stop at one once you've got flickers sending items to be smelted), they'll chew through your light etherium. Dark can be fine if you've got a way of spawning mobs, but light is the slowest by far.

Can't I just spam several light obelisks? It's not like they are expensive. Except maybe I'll have to hunt some piggies for candles...

Mindfeak926

Jul 29, 2019
Did Moonstone Meteors break in 1.1.2?
I'm trying with the flicker focus and I'm getting nothing for many nights on both my multiplayer server, and single player.
(In the previous version I know meteors worked.)

I had several moonstone meteors land in my world ( still on 1.1.2) they only land once you reach level 10 or something like that

Reactions: ZephyrWindSpirit

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
Can't I just spam several light obelisks? It's not like they are expensive. Except maybe I'll have to hunt some piggies for candles...

Even using just the neutral obelisk the calefactor will produce more vinteum than it consumes. You might need one obelisk per calefactor, though, not 100% sure how the production/consumption balances out.

I keep exploring the roguelike dungeons but this seems to be largely a waste of time. Putting aside getting sidetracked/lost because of caverns cleaving into the dungeons, or deaths as a result of those and spawners not always spawning things logically or trapped chests, there doesn't even seem to be much of value in them. Really, the biggest find I've gotten out of them are nether resources (chiefly nether wart) without having to actually go to the nether, and with manasteel equipment it is not like obsidian is hard to mine (finding those first few diamonds is usually the biggest hump for me, and of course there is always the casting option). Oh yeah, and an ender spawner. That's probably the most valuable thing.

They're nice for Flavour, I guess, but they're huge, common, and don't actually contain much. I suggest either removing it entirely (to help focus more toward the idea of learning those magic mods versus getting distracted exploring) or, if any such options exist, limiting their size and frequency. It would more preferable if they could be themed somehow to the primary magic mods (imagine if you could find a silverwood sapling/grove in one, or a tower based around aura cascade, or a botania enchantment altar), but I recognize that that is outside the scope of the modpack (and they'd still need to be rarer).

Last edited:
Z

Zieg777

Even using just the neutral obelisk the calefactor will produce more vinteum than it consumes. You might need one obelisk per calefactor, though, not 100% sure how the production/consumption balances out.

I built a contraption in Hubris that used calefactors to burn greatwood to charcoal (whole apparatus was to get ignis crystals en-masse) I had 5 calefactors going almost constantly, with one obelisk. (2 mana, 1 charge focus per calefactor). The mana battery was never less than 100%, and I had a huge surplus of vinteum. I only had neutral etherium from the one obelisk, no other power sources. The tree farm was also from an AM2 flicker along with the item transport, all being powered by the one obelisk.

I've never actually run real numbers on power supplies and demands on the machines. I do know that the charge focus not only speeds up smelting, but greatly increases the power cost per smelt operation (along with power per second).

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Issue is not neutral AM power, issue is that for doubling you need all three powers. It can double your Botania mana production, among other things, if you feed it with food and/or charcoal.

I keep exploring the roguelike dungeons but this seems to be largely a waste of time.

They are useful. It's often easier to find rare stuff there earlier than otherwise. Top floors has stuff useful early game, bottom has blazes, endermen, nether warts etc.
Also, when you are geared up killing mobs is very easy.

Most mob drops there are quite useless in this pack, but are good Thaumcraft Smeltery fodder.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
If Agricraft is a possiblity for this pack, if leveling the crops is able to be disabled, do so?
Before I'm mobbed, I would like a way to be growing the ars magica plants/able to mutate for them
I'm used to finding seeds for those uncommonly in Tolkiencraft2 as village loot.

I don't mind Magical Crops, but its not really 'magical', its 'grow iron, harvest, plant, wash rinse repeat'. Boring!

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
If Agricraft is a possiblity for this pack, if leveling the crops is able to be disabled, do so?
Before I'm mobbed, I would like a way to be growing the ars magica plants/able to mutate for them
I'm used to finding seeds for those uncommonly in Tolkiencraft2 as village loot.

I don't mind Magical Crops, but its not really 'magical', its 'grow iron, harvest, plant, wash rinse repeat'. Boring!
Maybe change the recipes?

Z

Zieg777

I would like a way to be growing the ars magica plants

AM2 plantfix has you covered already. There is a quest that shows how to use it, but in summary: Bonemeal grass outside for cerublossom. Bonemeal a grass block surrounded by sand (7x7 should suffice) to grow desert nova on the sand. Bonemeal a grass block surrounded by smooth stone in the dark and underground to make tarma root. Bonemeal grass surrounded by water at night, outside, to get wakebloom.