[Listed] 1.7.10 - Simply Magic [HQM][Magic][Light][Tutorial-Themed]

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
About chunkloading: I have heard that some Aura Cascade blocks (pumps?) chunkload.

About mana farming: I have found that ridiculously simple chicken farm can be made with a Hopperhock or some other item collecting thing that pick up eggs and loads into vanilla dispenser, that shoot them on regular redstone timer. Some eggs spawn more chicken when thrown, so chicken multiply exponentially even without grain. Then you just kill them some way - I use Sword of Zephyr with Looting 3, but just putting a cactus there will do if you want to automate it. Produced meet can be cooked and converted into mana with respective flower.

Btw, this flower also don't mind eating Zombie meat.

I also has tried to make Botania treefarm (with bore lens) but could not figure how to make Force Relays work. So I have just used Thaumcraft golems to plant and axe. Thankfully, in TC4 you don't need to make Use seal per each block, like in TC5.

Reactions: MachineHead
M

MachineHead

About mana farming: I have found that ridiculously simple chicken farm can be made with a Hopperhock or some other item collecting thing that pick up eggs and loads into vanilla dispenser, that shoot them on regular redstone timer. Some eggs spawn more chicken when thrown, so chicken multiply exponentially even without grain. Then you just kill them some way - I use Sword of Zephyr with Looting 3, but just putting a cactus there will do if you want to automate it. Produced meet can be cooked and converted into mana with respective flower.
Can you plz make a screenshot?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Can you plz make a screenshot?
2016-02-07_06.39.20.png

You can replace redstone circuit with hourglass from Botania or Automagy

Reactions: MachineHead
R

Robert Murray

About chunkloading: I have heard that some Aura Cascade blocks (pumps?) chunkload.

Btw, this flower also don't mind eating Zombie meat.

I also has tried to make Botania treefarm (with bore lens) but could not figure how to make Force Relays work. So I have just used Thaumcraft golems to plant and axe. Thankfully, in TC4 you don't need to make Use seal per each block, like in TC5.

You have to use a combination lens that is Bore Warp Lens it will be green in color you combine a warp lens with bore lens using a slime ball. If you just use the bore lense or make a warp bore lens it will break the force relays. I had this problem. It will make more than it uses so its nice. Also it will give you problems if you dont prim the hopperhock with extra sapplings.

2016-02-06_22.42.08.png

Last edited:

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
i added jabba by myself and got the spawner. im looking for a good farm now i can use this spawner for. just placing it in a room and whacking them isnt too much fun and i want a lot of blazes for endoflames.

If you just need the blazing ember (instead of the blaze rod itself), botania has the fel pumpkin which can create blazes with it + two iron bars.

Unless you want an actual farm for limitless quantities or for blaze rods, well, that won't work.

As to my experience in this pack particularly: I saw it mentioned a couple pages back but I'd agree I'm a bit lost in terms of storage. I'm getting started with JABBA barrels but they seem to be more about mass storage than what I'm looking for. (And of course, iron chests is included too.)

I'm trying to set up something compact to facilitate Botania's flower and rune crafting. Storage Drawers was perfect for this, not having to go digging in chests for one petal or sand I forgot, just very convenient. I don't need to store a lot, just in a moderate amount in a small area. Maybe an iron or gold chest could be more or less organized the same way I did my drawers in Ultimate anyway.

Also, what kind of ore doubling is available?

Also also, does AM2's projectile attacks all do 4 hearts, no matter how many types you add? I created a physical+fire (force and fire) bolt spell but it does the same damage as my previous force-only bolt spell. (Tested on a horse.)

PPS: Are elephants immune to range attacks?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012

Also also, does AM2's projectile attacks all do 4 hearts, no matter how many types you add? I created a physical+fire (force and fire) bolt spell but it does the same damage as my previous force-only bolt spell. (Tested on a horse.)

Thaumcraft has recipe for Native Clusters that is the way to double ores. With Witching Gadgets Infernal Blast Furnace you can triple ores.

And I'm also confused about using multiple effects in AM spells. Damage spells don't seem to do more damage, and Heal+Regen spell just heals one heart, no regen.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
If you just need the blazing ember (instead of the blaze rod itself), botania has the fel pumpkin which can create blazes with it + two iron bars.

Unless you want an actual farm for limitless quantities or for blaze rods, well, that won't work.

As to my experience in this pack particularly: I saw it mentioned a couple pages back but I'd agree I'm a bit lost in terms of storage. I'm getting started with JABBA barrels but they seem to be more about mass storage than what I'm looking for. (And of course, iron chests is included too.)

I'm trying to set up something compact to facilitate Botania's flower and rune crafting. Storage Drawers was perfect for this, not having to go digging in chests for one petal or sand I forgot, just very convenient. I don't need to store a lot, just in a moderate amount in a small area. Maybe an iron or gold chest could be more or less organized the same way I did my drawers in Ultimate anyway.

PPS: Are elephants immune to range attacks?

Aura Cascade has a pretty simple machine to set up for ore doubling. The Cascading Processor is very cheap and will double ores, and can be upgraded later (after you get Vortex Infusion) to do ore tripling. I've built a tower with violet aura generation on top, and now I do basic Vortex Infusion, smelting, and ore tripling all for free. Each machine gets between 980 and 1200 power on average.

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has recipe for Native Clusters that is the way to double ores. With Witching Gadgets Infernal Blast Furnace you can triple ores.

And I'm also confused about using multiple effects in AM spells. Damage spells don't seem to do more damage, and Heal+Regen spell just heals one heart, no regen.

Maybe it is just to do with the force and fire types, or the combination in a single spell? I made a lightning bolt one and it does do more, a tiny bit less than half a horse's health (not 100% sure but maybe 6.5 hearts?). The Compedium does say that Lightning deals more damage for a higher mana cost, but then Fire also says that it is "hard hitting" so I don't know. Then again, I haven't tried a just-fire spell, it could be the force is overriding the fire effect.

Don't know about your heal/regen issue either since I haven't unlocked self spells yet, going deeper on attack and utility instead. I'll back fill those with from low level guardians soon. If my guess is correct, it could be the spell is only acting as heal for whatever reason, just as my fire/force spell is only acting as force, but you'd think a heal+regen would heal some health and then add a regen effect. /shrug.

Aura Cascade has a pretty simple machine to set up for ore doubling. The Cascading Processor is very cheap and will double ores, and can be upgraded later (after you get Vortex Infusion) to do ore tripling. I've built a tower with violet aura generation on top, and now I do basic Vortex Infusion, smelting, and ore tripling all for free. Each machine gets between 980 and 1200 power on average.

Thanks, I'll look into that as well.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Come to think of it, there was one combined spell that did work - Hast+Feather Fall on self. It helped a lot early game. Later you tend to stack so many haste effects (TC boots, Botania sash, AM armour exp upgrades...) that it does not make much difference.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Small peek on the next update (no it is not out yet):
  • Adding Thaumcraft Node Tracker
  • FTB Utilites - Adds Chunk Loading
  • Backporting Guide API - Fixes the text running out of the book
  • Adding Mouse Tweaks
  • Quest fixes
  • More hoarding quests

birdiegirl4444

Jul 29, 2019
Playing 1.1 version, I have never used Ars Magica 2, or any of the magic mods very much for that matter, so this pack is a good one for learning. my problem is the following. I made the beginning Neutral obelisk and put some liquid etherium in it. it powered to 5K I believe. next to it, I built the Celestial Prism. The one with quartz and glass as the top. I did the purification spell with the chalk and used my proj, light spell to change it to a prism. (my proj,light spell works just fine, just a side not for the guy before this post that said his does not work) it has powered to 2500. I then made a calefactor and put it down, used my "wrench" can't remember the name of it, and told the neutral obilisk to send power to calefactor. works just fine. but when I try to do the same with the Celestial Prism I get.."Source node doesn't provide any type of power that the destination can use". I I then click the calefactor, it says "Pairing sucessful" but it does not pull the power from the Celestial. I am pretty positive that this error is user error, but I have no idea what my error is. I have watched a couple of vids, but most of them are 1-2 yrs old. I did make the thing where I can relay the power past 10 blocks but that did not work for the Light power either. I am within the 10 block radius as the Celestial is closer to the Calefactor than the Neutral one is. Any education is appreciated. Thanks

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Playing 1.1 version, I have never used Ars Magica 2, or any of the magic mods very much for that matter, so this pack is a good one for learning. my problem is the following. I made the beginning Neutral obelisk and put some liquid etherium in it. it powered to 5K I believe. next to it, I built the Celestial Prism. The one with quartz and glass as the top. I did the purification spell with the chalk and used my proj, light spell to change it to a prism. (my proj,light spell works just fine, just a side not for the guy before this post that said his does not work) it has powered to 2500. I then made a calefactor and put it down, used my "wrench" can't remember the name of it, and told the neutral obilisk to send power to calefactor. works just fine. but when I try to do the same with the Celestial Prism I get.."Source node doesn't provide any type of power that the destination can use". I I then click the calefactor, it says "Pairing sucessful" but it does not pull the power from the Celestial. I am pretty positive that this error is user error, but I have no idea what my error is. I have watched a couple of vids, but most of them are 1-2 yrs old. I did make the thing where I can relay the power past 10 blocks but that did not work for the Light power either. I am within the 10 block radius as the Celestial is closer to the Calefactor than the Neutral one is. Any education is appreciated. Thanks

Some machines can only accept etherium of certain types.

I also don't recall that the Calefactor takes any Etherium and is powered by a type of fuel in the GUI? Somebody correct me if otherwise.

R

rascal54321

Hey there! Thanks DrasticDemise for another awesome Magic pack! After playing through Hubris and Banished I started work on something like this myself, and you've done a better job than I ever could have. :)

If I may make a couple of suggestions for some more mods or changes to add in, mainly for less experienced Magic mod players who might not be comfortable adding mods or altering configs themselves or need a bit more hand holding on the mechanics:

Mods:
Dimensional Anchors - For chunkloading (obviously). It's a bit less buggy than Chicken Chunks IIRC, and having a nice dedicated chunk loader on your base is important, especially once you get into Blood magic. Plus I'm not sure if the bug is still there, but Ars Magica etherium networks used to have a bug that made them unlink if the chunk they're in unloaded. That could be confusing to new players who have set up everything correctly but then found their system not working. While Witchery poppet shelves, Aura Cascade smelters (apparently), building your base right at spawn and the Vanilla hopper method are all able to work, it'd be nice not to rely on semi-glitchy unintended mechanics for it. That is far and away my biggest suggestion. I've just added in Dimensional Anchors myself, and I haven't found any issues yet.

Aroma Backups: Stuff goes wrong in Minecraft. I'm terrible at remembering to back up manually, so having this in there would be nice. I have to get around to adding this in as well, will let you know if there's any unintended issues with it.

Magic Crops & Agricraft: Since it's a dedicated Magic pack, I'm of the opinion that Magic Crops would fit the feel nicely. I also liked having Agricraft in the pack in Hubris too. I notice a few people mentioned wanting to toss ProjectE in the pack, which would be hilariously OP (as it always is). Magic Crops though would still allow for eventual passive resource gen as something to gradually work towards without it being anywhere near as unbalancing. Agricraft is more for convenience in growing crops, it's only very slightly "techy" with the seed analyser and it'd work nicely with Witchery being installed as well. Maybe a small mod to make the Seed Analyzer a Thaumcraft research unlock, with a more Magic-ish vibe to it could be nice. In my spare time (if I can stop playing the pack long enough) I might make it myself.

Hopper ducts:
I know, I know: between golems and flickers etc there are actually plenty of item transport options in there. But lot's of players simply don't know how to use them and Hopperducts are very basic items that IMO should have been a vanilla item anyway. So having this in there will help out new people a lot. Once they get into the convenience of flickers and such, people should naturally move away from using them mid to late game anyway.

Config & Gameplay changes:
Increase Aura Node spawn rate: ATG reduces the Aura Node spawn rate. When I was playing with ATG about a year ago I found the same thing, it seems to somehow reduce the spawning conditions by a lot. On my current play through, I have one single solitary node about 3000 blocks from my base. That's all I can find. So bump the spawn rate way, way up. Otherwise, it ends up forcing new players to get into Mystcraft to make Ages to get the nodes they need. While I don't mind that (Mystcraft is one of the first things I do), being a semi-Tutorial pack it might be daunting for them and not at all obvious.

Similarly, I'm yet to find a single Magical Forest biome or Silverwood tree anywhere. No shortage of Greatwoods though. So bumping the spawn rates on those Biomes to encourage ATG to make them might be nice. Otherwise, maybe do what you did in Hubris and provide a recipe for Silverwood Saplings. Or alternatively, how about providing some Mystcraft pages to help players create their own Magical Forest age? It could be a cool way to help teach age creation at least.

Ok, that's enough for the moment. I should really get back to work haha!

Edit: A word

Edit: Ok, apparently FTBUtils is probably coming. That'll take care of Chunkloading and backups. Sweet.

Last edited:
R

rascal54321

I also don't recall that the Calefactor takes any Etherium and is powered by a type of fuel in the GUI? Somebody correct me if otherwise.

IIRC older versions of Ars Magica 2 did require it. I'm pretty sure you still require Etherium though in the current version, will check when I get home. Haven't gotten around to making one yet (focusing on Aura Cascade), but I'm pretty sure in Hubris I had an obelisk setup to run the Calefactor.

Theodus

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone else noticed an issue with villagers multiplying like crazy? The village next to my house had a handful of villagers when I first started the world, but after like 5-10 hours of play time I revisited it to see like 50+ running around. Is this due to a mod in the pack?

birdiegirl4444

Jul 29, 2019

The Calefactor has 3 numbers when I hover over it with the curser. red/white/blue, the blue number increases with as it gets Neutral power. the book also says that you can have a chance to double ores if you have all three powering it. so it can accept all three power. the prism does not have a gui so I cannot put power into it. it gets power passively and shows 2500 power. what I cannot do is get that power out of it. it won't connect to the calefactor like the neutral obilisk does.

R

rascal54321

Has anyone else noticed an issue with villagers multiplying like crazy? The village next to my house had a handful of villagers when I first started the world, but after like 5-10 hours of play time I revisited it to see like 50+ running around. Is this due to a mod in the pack?

My world spawn happened to be on an island with a nice little town right there. Nothing unusual happening with the villager spawning. At some point I'll end up in the near future I'll be spamming villager housing to get some more villagers, so if the spawn rates go crazy I'll post back.

R

rascal54321

The Calefactor has 3 numbers when I hover over it with the curser. red/white/blue, the blue number increases with as it gets Neutral power. the book also says that you can have a chance to double ores if you have all three powering it. so it can accept all three power. the prism does not have a gui so I cannot put power into it. it gets power passively and shows 2500 power. what I cannot do is get that power out of it. it won't connect to the calefactor like the neutral obilisk does.

If it works with the regular Obelisk it should work with the Celestial prism the same way, so maybe it is a bug. Have you tried hooking it into a mana battery first?