[LISTED][1.7.10]BlastOff! [Hardcore/EasyCore, HQM][170++Quests] version 1.3.3STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
But the camel packs are so pointless, you're better off just using the bottles of fresh water, which take so long to make you're stuck doing them all the time and can't do anything else. Making water harder to get is all well and good, but currently water is so hard to get the modpack is basically unplayable.
Why are they useless? They hold 4 bottles of water, that is a full day without having to think about hydration. Filling up the camel pack gives the bottles back.
And the best part, camel packs can be attached to the chest armor now.

There is two methods to making drinking water. One slow method (drying rack with leaves), and one fast method (pounding snow on an anvil, bottling it, boiling it in a vat of lava, and combining the result with 4 leaves). The second method is fast because you can do it in bulk, and the end result is 3 water for each combine.
Drying cider leaves takes only 5 secs now. Rotate through five or six racks and you can make a full stack of water within a minute.

Reactions: Sheena-Tiger

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
Progression was mentioned a few pages back, and while I don't agree with a lot of what the poster said, I do think it's something that is lacking after a point. You hit the EnderIO stuff and it requires the PCB things and galg metal to craft the frames, and I think that's OK, but then you move onto Mekanism and then Galacticraft, and it's just mostly the same stuff in higher quantities, with a few energetic alloys thrown in. All the while you are still hitting stuff on an anvil with a hammer (hardeners and AE2 chips -> PCBs), which doesn't feel right. I don't think anything after EnderIO in the tech tree should be using the galg metals or PCBs, or the blacksmith anvil/hammer. Instead move onto using EnderIO resources, like maybe energetic alloy blocks, to make the mekanism stuff, and then have the galacticraft stuff require mekanism resources like the nuclear whatchamacallits and enriched obsidian/glowstone stuff. The costs can still be high, but make those costs dependent on the machines you were just forced to make, instead of using "old tech" even more than before.

For example I currently have an EnderIO SAG Mill and Alloy Furnace, and it's like that did very little for me, I just need twice as many galg metals and PCBs to move into mekanism stuff. A few things do require the EnderIO alloys so you can't skip it, but not enough to make it feel like crafting it was rewarding or moved you into a new "era" of technology.

I am struggling to hold onto the motivation to continue forward in the pack.

Delerium

Jul 29, 2019
Progression was mentioned a few pages back, and while I don't agree with a lot of what the poster said, I do think it's something that is lacking after a point. You hit the EnderIO stuff and it requires the PCB things and galg metal to craft the frames, and I think that's OK, but then you move onto Mekanism and then Galacticraft, and it's just mostly the same stuff in higher quantities, with a few energetic alloys thrown in. All the while you are still hitting stuff on an anvil with a hammer (hardeners and AE2 chips -> PCBs), which doesn't feel right. I don't think anything after EnderIO in the tech tree should be using the galg metals or PCBs, or the blacksmith anvil/hammer. Instead move onto using EnderIO resources, like maybe energetic alloy blocks, to make the mekanism stuff, and then have the galacticraft stuff require mekanism resources like the nuclear whatchamacallits and enriched obsidian/glowstone stuff. The costs can still be high, but make those costs dependent on the machines you were just forced to make, instead of using "old tech" even more than before.

For example I currently have an EnderIO SAG Mill and Alloy Furnace, and it's like that did very little for me, I just need twice as many galg metals and PCBs to move into mekanism stuff. A few things do require the EnderIO alloys so you can't skip it, but not enough to make it feel like crafting it was rewarding or moved you into a new "era" of technology.

I am struggling to hold onto the motivation to continue forward in the pack.
I agree. The ideal progression should be:
1. do manual tasks to get resources group A
2a. use resources group A to make machines that speed up or automate making more resource group A
2b. use those machines combined with manual tasks to make resources group B
4. use resources group B to make machines that speed up or automate making more resource group B
so on and so forth...
The point being, at each step, what you are creating should do two things, ease the amount of work required to create more of those, and unlock the ability to create the next tier of helpers. Right now it's, "craft all this to make this, now rarely use that thing and go over here and make this, now rarely........"

Likewise, these bigger mods set up their recipes in tandem with ore distribution. What this means is, mods choose what materials it takes to make things based on how prolific certain ore is in the world. This is a big part of mod balance. This pack doesn't seem to be concerned with that balance, since practically every recipe is being changed to using iron in some manner. I emplore you to start thinking about ore balance.

Reactions: Rubik842

MrOomi1974

Jul 29, 2019
Is the Teleporty Thingy quest still broken? If it was fixed looks like its broken again. Yes I was killling Endermen not something else.

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
Is the AE2 Annihilation Plane recipe left alone on purpose? Most other block breakers were changed, but the Annihilation Plane needs EnderIO silicon from a SAG Mill so it's not exactly easy to get as is. I mention it because very few people ever make cobblegens with Annihilation Planes since there are usually easier methods, and so a lot of people forget it's even possible.

Edit: Actually I just noticed you can get silicon from a Mariculture crucible, so that's fairly early game. You could set up a ME network with a cobblegen in the first few hours.

Last edited:

Luaithel

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. The ideal progression should be:
1. do manual tasks to get resources group A
2a. use resources group A to make machines that speed up or automate making more resource group A
2b. use those machines combined with manual tasks to make resources group B
4. use resources group B to make machines that speed up or automate making more resource group B
so on and so forth...
The point being, at each step, what you are creating should do two things, ease the amount of work required to create more of those, and unlock the ability to create the next tier of helpers. Right now it's, "craft all this to make this, now rarely use that thing and go over here and make this, now rarely........"

Likewise, these bigger mods set up their recipes in tandem with ore distribution. What this means is, mods choose what materials it takes to make things based on how prolific certain ore is in the world. This is a big part of mod balance. This pack doesn't seem to be concerned with that balance, since practically every recipe is being changed to using iron in some manner. I emplore you to start thinking about ore balance.
I would have to agree with this. When I look at later items, all I really see in the recipes is a more Galg metal (usually an asinine amount more for some things), and perhaps some PCBs. Nothing like Dark Steel, Energetic Alloys, Mekanism creations... Maybe in small amounts, but as it is, it looks you have to find a way to seriously mass produce Galg in order to get anywhere. Proper tier progress would be enjoyable in the pack, especially since I do want to get somewhere in the pack, since it'd be my first actual excusion with Galacticraft.

redlines

Jul 29, 2019
first of the pack is great to play but...

your making it less and less automated which makes things annoying BC mod is a great mod but you really need to either enable auto workbench again despite the bug it causes or fix the crash bug for it, Before 1.23 i had no issue with the work bench what so ever i had fully automated everything including fresh water but now you disable the work bench, all my automated stuff is now broke and doesn't work because it relies on the auto-workbench

so best options is either add another mod let you automate stuff or just fix that work bench bug tbh i think it just be easy for you to fix the bug

just so you know there is other methods to automated but the best way is with the workbench because it deals with all that small stuff that needs to be crafted when called for though AE or continued crafting

Astasia

Jul 29, 2019
Might be, but a food that's extremely easy to make, refills hunger completely and circumvents DR?

Oh boy.

They cost a ton of mana to make. You can only make like 45 of them with a full mana pool. There's no way to make them work with diminishing returns since they set hunger and saturation to 100% when eaten, they don't actually have any normal food values. I think they are probably fine because of the mana cost, it's easier to have a melon farm and a wheat farm and just eat a lot of melons between bread to reset the DR. The entire DR system is too easy to abuse so I don't find it worthwhile to use anyway, I turned it off myself.

I don't know if it is on purpose but in 1.2.5 you can not ue the mob spawn overlay using f7 or any keybinding you switch it to

It's because of the new spawning system mod added, "JustAnotherSpawner." You either have to disable that mod and deal with laggy dungeon spawns (if you have a weaker PC I guess, they don't bother me), or use the WAILA light level tooltip.

This was mentioned earlier, change your keybindings.

He said "or any keybinding you switch it to" ...

FYI the minecraft streaming F7 keybind thing never interferes with the light level overlay which is why NEI hasn't changed the default key, you don't need to change it yourself. In many cases keys can overlap without issue.

felinoel

Jul 29, 2019
He said "or any keybinding you switch it to" ...

FYI the minecraft streaming F7 keybind thing never interferes with the light level overlay which is why NEI hasn't changed the default key, you don't need to change it yourself. In many cases keys can overlap without issue.
My mistake, it was said some time ago.

Barditron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, i've finally finished pressurization so that's four chapters down, looking ahead at the mats it's just a series of quests that represent 10hr+ grinds and I'm just done. The stats say it's taken me over 50 hrs and I know that I've lost at least another 24-36 to the stats resetting when I upgraded versions. Maybe someday if there is a real progression I'll come back to this pack, but I'm looking at the first quest of 6 Blast off and the circuit fabricator requires about 35 galgadorian just to make one freaking machine, and it's not like i have any hope for decent quest rewards. I feel like despite all the stuff i've made, I haven't actually made any progress

Congratulations Karmarcharger you made crafting a SAG mill feel like landing on the moon. As for actually trying to land on the moon, why bother? There are other packs out there that actually reward me for sticking around and progressing through the pack, whereas this pack is gradually stealing all the fun and replacing it with boring thankless grind. I think i'm going to go do something that is actually fun like stick my fingers in a meat grinder, or smack myself in the face with mallets.

Just you wait everyone until Karma changes the recipe for the furnace to require double compressed cobblestone, we all know it's going to happen. I really tried to give this pack a chance, despite a lot of early game grind, and I accepted it. I like the first 20 hours of play, but after that there's nothing really new, just hours and hours of making galgadorian metal for recipes that gradually require more and more of it without providing any meaningful ways to get it easier. I understand scaling quest progression with in game progression, but despite the recipes getting harder and harder the resource availability actually gradually decreases. It's just a matter of time until the Hardened Metal recipe replaces all the iron bars with blocks of bedrockium. If I was a prison guard, and wanted the the inmates to feel soul crushing despair, I'd force them to play this pack.

Thanks, it was fun for a while. If your goal is to get everyone who ever plays this pack to rage quit, you are well on your way. I'm Bored Quitting. I imagine you'll get a lot of that as well.

Ouroboros

Jul 29, 2019
Well, i've finally finished pressurization so that's four chapters down, looking ahead at the mats it's just a series of quests that represent 10hr+ grinds and I'm just done. The stats say it's taken me over 50 hrs and I know that I've lost at least another 24-36 to the stats resetting when I upgraded versions. Maybe someday if there is a real progression I'll come back to this pack, but I'm looking at the first quest of 6 Blast off and the circuit fabricator requires about 35 galgadorian just to make one freaking machine, and it's not like i have any hope for decent quest rewards. I feel like despite all the stuff i've made, I haven't actually made any progress

Congratulations Karmarcharger you made crafting a SAG mill feel like landing on the moon. As for actually trying to land on the moon, why bother? There are other packs out there that actually reward me for sticking around and progressing through the pack, whereas this pack is gradually stealing all the fun and replacing it with boring thankless grind. I think i'm going to go do something that is actually fun like stick my fingers in a meat grinder, or smack myself in the face with mallets.

Just you wait everyone until Karma changes the recipe for the furnace to require double compressed cobblestone, we all know it's going to happen. I really tried to give this pack a chance, despite a lot of early game grind, and I accepted it. I like the first 20 hours of play, but after that there's nothing really new, just hours and hours of making galgadorian metal for recipes that gradually require more and more of it without providing any meaningful ways to get it easier. I understand scaling quest progression with in game progression, but despite the recipes getting harder and harder the resource availability actually gradually decreases. It's just a matter of time until the Hardened Metal recipe replaces all the iron bars with blocks of bedrockium. If I was a prison guard, and wanted the the inmates to feel soul crushing despair, I'd force them to play this pack.

Thanks, it was fun for a while. If your goal is to get everyone who ever plays this pack to rage quit, you are well on your way. I'm Bored Quitting. I imagine you'll get a lot of that as well.

Yeah, this happened with me a lot earlier; I started noticing how almost literally EVERYTHING needed galgadorian components, and I saw how it was even more difficult to make those than in standard Steve's Carts, so I just noped the heck out of there and saved myself the grind. The only reason I've stuck around this thread is in the vague and, frankly, unfounded hopes that the ridiculous grind will be eased up. The pack looked fun at first, but as soon as I started poking around NEI, I just sorta gave up once I saw the massive resource draw.

Reactions: Neithan

Asurada11

Jul 29, 2019

The worst thing is karma is still thinking of adding more mods to make it even tougher
Guess i would stay in a earlier version than updating for more "awesome" things.

Edit: making it hard is fun for karma,but not for players. Really hope that you know when to stop

Reactions: Neithan

Ouroboros

Jul 29, 2019
Really hope that you know when to stop

That's what I was scoffing at. Ever since I started playing back around 1.7ish, the pack has only gotten harder and grindier. Then I decided I didn't want to spend hours of my life grinding materials to make one machine in a grindpack.

y8ycgl

Jul 29, 2019
to reconstruct the last several posts and points that have been made into constructive criticism:
Grinding for grinding sake is bad.
Grinding so you appreciate the automation later is good.
Grinding is not hard, it's work and boring.
Hard is good when there is a reward that makes you feel good about something you have accomplished.

I think this sums up a lot of the frustration there has been. It is grinding from square one with nothing to show for it or no satisfaction from completing something.

Asurada11

Jul 29, 2019
to reconstruct the last several posts and points that have been made into constructive criticism:
Grinding for grinding sake is bad.
Grinding so you appreciate the automation later is good.
Grinding is not hard, it's work and boring.
Hard is good when there is a reward that makes you feel good about something you have accomplished.

I think this sums up a lot of the frustration there has been. It is grinding from square one with nothing to show for it or no satisfaction from completing something.
exactly, thanks for the work
english is not my mother tongue so i pretty much suck

Reactions: y8ycgl