Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
geez. I look at this thread and i get really really sad. I can barely build a house that looks good, and I have to have a good looking base or i'm not happy. All I see post after post is amazing looking bases.

Reactions: Master_Builder_800

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
geez. I look at this thread and i get really really sad. I can barely build a house that looks good, and I have to have a good looking base or i'm not happy. All I see post after post is amazing looking bases.
I know your pain, luckily for me I can live without a ceiling, or walls.
Especially the no walls thing make it easy to build a "base"

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Making fun contraptions that will automate "useless" things.
I also like to make my own script to let turtles automate all the things as I like programming.

I like to do that aside from the programming but I hate clutter. So I cant unless its very neat and tidy, wrapped in a pretty box. Kinda sucks, sometimes I just dont want to build anything.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I know your pain, luckily for me I can live without a ceiling, or walls.
Especially the no walls thing make it easy to build a "base"
I don't build a house at all- I just make a giant football field and plop down whatever I need whenever I need it- one of these days I'll show a pic of it when I get over the shame of it looking that way :p

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
At least try dig
I don't build a house at all- I just make a giant football field and plop down whatever I need whenever I need it- one of these days I'll show a pic of it when I get over the shame of it looking that way :p

The least you could do is find a nice looking mountain to tunnel into and build a few hallways and rooms. Use a silk touch hammer and bring a builders wand to fill in holes and correct mistakes, and a wand of equal trade to change up the walls and floors into anything other than stone bricks. Anybody can do this and churn out huge labyrinths in minutes. Then just move all of your stuff from the football field inside.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair I have tried- lots of times in fact- but they always end up with me comparing it to the stuff I find on this forum. After that I typically can't stand looking at it and move back to my little football field. I would show pictural evidence of this but my last failure was before the reset on my server :(

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
2015-06-28_08.00.24.png
Sorry about the double post. This seems to be the best picture I have of my base(especially considering there's only two, one of me in my AFK hole) I wish i had one of me looking like 2 blocks to the right... then you'd see what I mean.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Your rooms should be at least 5 blocks tall and not have dirt ceilings. And the metal textures should be used sparingly, with more or less "normal" building material being the main focus. A stripe or two of a different texture across the walls and around the edges of the floor. And stop embedding everything into the walls! Not trying to be a jerk here, just encouraging. Its so easy and fun to do big underground builds.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Your rooms should be at least 5 blocks tall and not have dirt ceilings. And the metal textures should be used sparingly, with more or less "normal" building material being the main focus. A stripe or two of a different texture across the walls and around the edges of the floor. And stop embedding everything into the walls! Not trying to be a jerk here, just encouraging. Its so easy and fun to do big underground builds.
Fun for you maybe, but I personally get more joy making a new contraption or watching the one I just made.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Fun for you maybe, but I personally get more joy making a new contraption or watching the one I just made.

Thats what gives your rooms/buildings a purpose and a theme. But it shouldnt be THE purpose. You're doing it wrong. Eventually the philistines will tire of building ugly contraptions and we might just have ourselves a renaissance where form and function are equally important.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Thats what gives your rooms/buildings a purpose and a theme. But it shouldnt be THE purpose. You're doing it wrong. Eventually the philistines will tire of building ugly contraptions and it we might just have ourselves a renaissance where form and function are equally important.
The moment I need to think about how my building should look I get bored because it is not the thing I like to do.
I don't like to ponder about what block fits the theme, or thinking about what theme the room should look like in the first place.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I understand, thanks for the help too, I'm gonna try it- though to be honest I just love making insane contraptions that people say are impossible, its my primary enjoyment in MC. If I can make it look pretty too, thats just a bonus :p

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I'm terrible at not double posting but nobody has posted to break it up soooooooo
And the metal textures should be used sparingly, with more or less "normal" building material being the main focus. A stripe or two of a different texture across the walls and around the edges of the floor.
What exactly do you mean by normal blocks?

Gato70

Jul 29, 2019
My personal take on the issue is that form and function are two sides of the same coin. I, like @epidemia78, cannot stand an incomplete project. It's why I refrained from posting my base for so long because it was just so unfinished and to be honest, kinda annoying. Then again, when I was way into vanilla I was into automating virtually every renewable item I could... Ultimately form and function are just two sides of the same coin, that coin being personal tastes.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Im weird with building. buildings designated as tech mod rooms end up being no more elaborate than a cuboid (maybe a L shaped building if I feel extra saucy) this is usually capped with a flat roof with stone half slabs so I don't have to light it up. Of course I try to break up the floors walls and ceiling with different complimentary blocks. (no 100% stone brick cubes for me)
But when I use a magic mod I tend to get a bit more elaborate. Trying for cylenders, spheres and domes, archways and spires.
However I have not yet built something of a truly large scale. I like elaborate but manageable sized builds.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk