Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just thought I'd share the little bit of internal development on my place. Been getting my storage and sorting room sorted out. Taken me a looong time :D Having to spend excessive time mining for limited resources, restricting build work :D
Since my home is in/on a redrock mountain, I decided for a clean bright white look for my main machine areas - need more resources to finish...

The storage area - plenty of space for loads more barrels as I need them.
Storage1.jpg storage2.jpg

The heart of the system - a lot of this mess is hidden under panels, but there's still a lot showing. Designed for plenty of capacity. 3 pulverizers feeding 3 power furnaces. 3 sawmills. 1 extra power furnace for odds and sods.
Excessive materials sorted by a 2nd sorting machine and fed to recyclers for scrap boxes
Anything else unsorted ends up in one final chest, I can keep an eye on that and expand my storage and sorting rules as this chest fills up.
processing1.jpg processing2.jpg

Finally, an amazing power room.....
power.jpg

This setup is now ready for full automation (once I can find some blazes in the Nether for Ender Chests, local fortress has none!) - just hope the sorting machine doesn't get overloaded.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Nice sorting system. Its always a great feeling to get your first RP sorting system done for each world.

Here is where our modest but very functional processing plant and sorting system starts.

2013-01-22_112842_zpsa55ab938.png

This time around me and a friend set up our first sorting system not unlike yours, but we soon decided that we wanted to expand with a barrel room for all of our excess stuff. Well after this we figured why build a small barrel room just for extra stuff, why not build a barrel room that could hold just about everything. So then I was trying to figure out a good way to sort everything into the barrels without having to have tubes going into every single barrel.

This is what we came up with.

2013-01-22_152918_zpsd8eef661.png

2013-01-22_152935_zps591afac8.png

If you notice a barrel or 2 filled with sponge those are just used as cheated in place holders so the router doesn't fill those barrels up.

Down stairs in the basement of the barrel room we have this set up

2013-01-22_152950_zps53b7bcc6.png

The chest is a just a buffer so that if we run out of room for something it doesn't overflow our other systems instantly, the sorting machine is there just because I didn't want to use a timer and filter. And I used 4 routers because the sorter can pull things faster then just 1 or 2 fully upgraded routers can sort them so I went ahead and added 4 there.

Now because I wanted to have 1 barrel for each thing and no more (except for a few things like cobble) and I wanted each barrel to be set in order I couldn't just send everything to the routers or it would clog the second something it doesn't know what to do with gets sent there. So I ended up with this

2013-01-22_112823_zps1ea6ed10.png

I ended up setting a chain of sorting machines that has 1 of everything that goes into the barrel room, the rest (Stuff like Xycraft crystals that have like 6 different meta data values, and a few other things) Get sent to a few chests in our crafting room, and things it doesn't know what to do with get sent to a unsorted chest so I can see if there is anything that I've missed.

Thats the evolution of our sorting system so far. Of course the input chest for this whole thing is an enderchest, so down in our farms and any where else we need things sorted back into the system, like my tunnel bore, we just pop an enderchest of the correct color down.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
My current base, working with a modified MindCrack (v7) pack.

Here's what she looks like on the minimap:

And from above:

My four farm buildings: (one each for wheat, hennequin, corn, and flax)

I've also got a little apiary semi-hidden in the middle of the path between the four buildings: (I managed to, erm, "liberate" a few apiaries from a couple of villages I happened across in my Mystcraft worlds)

Mein front door:

The inside of my living quarters, which is, for the time being, also doubling as storage and smelting facility:

My back door, with sugar cane farm:

And, finally, my ThaumCraft/enchanting building:

I've got two goals for this particular run: one, magical research before technology (I've always done it the other way around), and two, play entirely on Peaceful, completely denying myself any monster products outside of what can be found thanks to either dungeons or mods. I've found that magical research actually goes a bit slower when you don't have the occasional monster bit, forcing you to find other, many times inferior, sources of various essentia.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Nice sorting system. Its always a great feeling to get your first RP sorting system done for each world.

Here is where our modest but very functional processing plant and sorting system starts.

2013-01-22_112842_zpsa55ab938.png

This time around me and a friend set up our first sorting system not unlike yours, but we soon decided that we wanted to expand with a barrel room for all of our excess stuff. Well after this we figured why build a small barrel room just for extra stuff, why not build a barrel room that could hold just about everything. So then I was trying to figure out a good way to sort everything into the barrels without having to have tubes going into every single barrel.

This is what we came up with.

2013-01-22_152918_zpsd8eef661.png

2013-01-22_152935_zps591afac8.png

If you notice a barrel or 2 filled with sponge those are just used as cheated in place holders so the router doesn't fill those barrels up.

Down stairs in the basement of the barrel room we have this set up

2013-01-22_152950_zps53b7bcc6.png

The chest is a just a buffer so that if we run out of room for something it doesn't overflow our other systems instantly, the sorting machine is there just because I didn't want to use a timer and filter. And I used 4 routers because the sorter can pull things faster then just 1 or 2 fully upgraded routers can sort them so I went ahead and added 4 there.

Now because I wanted to have 1 barrel for each thing and no more (except for a few things like cobble) and I wanted each barrel to be set in order I couldn't just send everything to the routers or it would clog the second something it doesn't know what to do with gets sent there. So I ended up with this

2013-01-22_112823_zps1ea6ed10.png

I ended up setting a chain of sorting machines that has 1 of everything that goes into the barrel room, the rest (Stuff like Xycraft crystals that have like 6 different meta data values, and a few other things) Get sent to a few chests in our crafting room, and things it doesn't know what to do with get sent to a unsorted chest so I can see if there is anything that I've missed.

Thats the evolution of our sorting system so far. Of course the input chest for this whole thing is an enderchest, so down in our farms and any where else we need things sorted back into the system, like my tunnel bore, we just pop an enderchest of the correct color down.

Looks awesome but I am wondering about one thing though...I thought barrels could only accept items in them when the tubes connect to the top? How did you go around that?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed, that's what I was thinking too.

There's a minor refinement I now need to make, and add in a blueletric alloy furnace to processed minecarts and golden helms (and other stuff) produced by the scrap box system (and any loot I find).

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
Looks awesome but I am wondering about one thing though...I thought barrels could only accept items in them when the tubes connect to the top? How did you go around that?

I imagine he has another pipe above that is hidden because of the ceiling placement.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I imagine he has another pipe above that is hidden because of the ceiling placement.
Well, barrels can fill from any side, but to get it to store beyond a single stack, you've got to insert from the top. Learned that myself, when my impromptu sorting system (read: fuckton of barrels) wasn't storing more than a stack of some things. Put some tubes along the top, covers on the bottom, and boom; problem solved.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Well, barrels can fill from any side, but to get it to store beyond a single stack, you've got to insert from the top. Learned that myself, when my impromptu sorting system (read: fuckton of barrels) wasn't storing more than a stack of some things. Put some tubes along the top, covers on the bottom, and boom; problem solved.

I understand what you're saying here but judging from the pictures it would seem as if he has 3 rows of barrels right on top of each other w/o covers, panels, and thus also w/o pipes/tubes between them...hence why I asked.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Routers can access all connected blocks with inventories from an arbitratry side. So you have a big wall of barrels, set the connecting router(s) to "insert from top" and be done with it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I understand what you're saying here but judging from the pictures it would seem as if he has 3 rows of barrels right on top of each other w/o covers, panels, and thus also w/o pipes/tubes between them...hence why I asked.
They are using Routers. 3rd picture, hidden in the dirt ceiling, being feed by various tubes are some routers.

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, I thought they were referring to Golrith's post, my bad. Routers can "deliver" items without the need of pipes as they teleport them in-place, permitting they are all connected. That's how you can get away with doing an entire wall of barrels.

A good, fairly simple and compact sorting system would use RedPower for the sorting and distributing - placing into chests and feeding the routers - while the common and mass items are put into barrels from the router.

Reactions: un worry

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019

Yep already been answered, but I make use of 4 routers to place everything into the barrels. I have everything I want in barrels set in the order I want them so that the routers have 1 and only 1 place to put that specific item, this way I can keep the place organized.

Also routers can access any chest or inventory (such as a barrel or furnace) as long as it as a has a chain of inventories. So for example in every corner of the barrel room I have 1 barrel to make sure that the router can wrap the corner and get to the next wall, same with the bottom and top story, I have a single barrel in between the levels to make sure the router can get to the barrels up top to. So just think of any inventory as a pipe or tube. So if you want to get stuff all the way across the room to a barrel there you have to make sure you have a line of "tubes" all the way there. If you use chests though the router will kinda just place things in a random order. It doesn't just place things in the first chest then the next then the next, no, it pick at random what inventory to place in if there is multiple choices. So thats why I ended up planning everything out.

A good, fairly simple and compact sorting system would use RedPower for the sorting and distributing - placing into chests and feeding the routers - while the common and mass items are put into barrels from the router.

Yeah except we took the simply and compact part and threw it out the window when we decided that we wanted to be able to store 500 different things in barrels. lol so now our system is just "fairly good"

Shane_C

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently working on a volcano base in the mindcrack pack. I am hollowing out the top layer about 3/4 up and then another larger area 1/4 up... ill post some pics when its ready

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
So I'm finally living in my mansion. It's still a bit sparse since I have hardly any time to play and I spend a lot of time screwing around, but the basic layout of the place is starting to come together.

Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/yEHk0

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Looks really nice. I love the bricks texture in your TP, really gives the house a lot of detail. Also I like your stair way and floor design, big enough to have most anything you need without it feeling overly cluttered, but still not so big that it feels empty. Its a hard balance to strike when its easiest to just shove everything up against a wall so you can hide the pipes/wires. Looking cool though.

Riley

Jul 29, 2019
Oh My dude, that is pretty amazin. Probably a dumb question, but is that built in survival or creative ?

It was built entirely in survival, although it did hit a slight snag recently, I was offline for a week and when I came back the excess items that had dropped from my sorting / processing system managed to crash 3 or 4 chunks at my base, anyone going near it would crash out immediately and the only way we were able to fix it was for the server admin to go in via MCEdit and regen the affected chunks. I lost pretty much all my storage and processing areas :(

Luckily after some kind donations from the rest of the players on my server and the fact that my main power system was "just" outside the affected area I have managed to rebuild it and better this time :)

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
It was built entirely in survival, although it did hit a slight snag recently, I was offline for a week and when I came back the excess items that had dropped from my sorting / processing system managed to crash 3 or 4 chunks at my base, anyone going near it would crash out immediately and the only way we were able to fix it was for the server admin to go in via MCEdit and regen the affected chunks. I lost pretty much all my storage and processing areas :(

Luckily after some kind donations from the rest of the players on my server and the fact that my main power system was "just" outside the affected area I have managed to rebuild it and better this time :)

This is why, love CB chunk loaders though I do, fueled world anchors are probably a good idea for most servers.

Reactions: MrZwij

Riley

Jul 29, 2019
This is why, love CB chunk loaders though I do, fueled world anchors are probably a good idea for most servers.
I agree totally. A fuelled world anchor would have saved us a lot of hassle. I didn't plan to be off so long and when running 4 simultaneous quarries at high speed for a week it can fill even diamond chests up quickly.