Let's play Modded MC!(1.7.10)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Tiny update. I've moved my world onto a server, so the size of the builds I can do is now quite a bit larger.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
jMGShiP.png
WLrJIGQ.png
uG0w3XJ.png
k2Se8pC.png
vFpUmOn.png
y611zjH.png
XLX3CtB.png
1WhXonH.png
zhzVc9r.png
Qm4YbwN.png

I have decided that, instead of putting the info in the post itself, to take questions from anybody who wants to know more about what I'm doing. That way I can at the same time save myself time and better satisfy those with questions. It's easier to answer questions then it is to try to think of what people will ask. :p

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
what design are you using for your pebble bed reactor? This looks quite an inneficient design for early game (well from what we see on the pic)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
what design are you using for your pebble bed reactor? This looks quite an inneficient design for early game (well from what we see on the pic)
Agreed, and I don't see any co2 heat exchangers in that pic, but it's been a while since I visited my reactor room and I don't know the top texture.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I am gonna be doing a 9 core HTGR with carbon dioxide heat exchangers all around it, including at the corners. There will be concrete everywhere I can stuff it, to keep in the heat.

That screen was just me putting down the blocks to show you my next project. It is in no way my end design.

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
You might consider a houndstooth pattern like so:

X = pebble-bed
O = CO2 exchanger
C = concrete

CCCCCCC
CCXCCCC
CXOXXCC
CCXXOXC
CCCCXCC
CCCCCCC

That is, if you're determined to have a single layer design. Stacking them two layers thick works much better, since they have a built-in hopper. Try just this for max efficiency:

CCCCC
CCXCC
CXOXC
CCXCC
CCCCC

And just make two layers right on top of each other. Three layers gets a little tricky, since there is a small but real chance that one of your pebble-beds in the middle will get slightly backed up if you run them continuously for days. It's not a serious problem, and it fixes itself within a few minutes.

Sent from my brain using magical fluxes in a radiation field.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
9 this early seems a bit overkill :p 3 of them will fully power a turbine (with a bit of extra steam) so that would be 2.7-2.9GW right there... seems like a lot (obviously, if you can split it effiently. I use shaft power bus spliting into 13 and at least one splitted into 8 with one going back into the exchanger and another going into a grinder for lubricant production)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
You might consider a houndstooth pattern like so:

X = pebble-bed
O = CO2 exchanger
C = concrete

CCCCCCC
CCXCCCC
CXOXXCC
CCXXOXC
CCCCXCC
CCCCCCC

That is, if you're determined to have a single layer design. Stacking them two layers thick works much better, since they have a built-in hopper. Try just this for max efficiency:

CCCCC
CCXCC
CXOXC
CCXCC
CCCCC

And just make two layers right on top of each other. Three layers gets a little tricky, since there is a small but real chance that one of your pebble-beds in the middle will get slightly backed up if you run them continuously for days. It's not a serious problem, and it fixes itself within a few minutes.

Sent from my brain using magical fluxes in a radiation field.
I will try both designs in a test world. Tbh, the thought of using a dual layer reactor just hadn't occurred to me. Today I had found a 8 core design able to supply two turbines completely with steam(possibly a third). But if I can get away with less cores then I'll be happy.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
9 this early seems a bit overkill :p 3 of them will fully power a turbine (with a bit of extra steam) so that would be 2.7-2.9GW right there... seems like a lot (obviously, if you can split it effiently. I use shaft power bus spliting into 13 and at least one splitted into 8 with one going back into the exchanger and another going into a grinder for lubricant production)
I want to be able to get as much power as possible out of my reactor. :)

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Bad news everybody. Good old chickenchunks chunk reset bug struck and took out the HTGR. Between that and it's dissapointing performance (it turns out my test world reactor had been a fluke as far as power output goes), I have little motivation to build another one. I will instead be building big reactors turbines to produce the power I'll be needing. Don't worry though, I WILL be returning to reactorcraft to build a fission reactor.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Bad news everybody. Good old chickenchunks chunk reset bug struck and took out the HTGR. Between that and it's dissapointing performance (it turns out my test world reactor had been a fluke as far as power output goes), I have little motivation to build another one. I will instead be building big reactors turbines to produce the power I'll be needing. Don't worry though, I WILL be returning to reactorcraft to build a fission reactor.

Our server had this chunkloader error corrupting our world and throwing some "server exception in tick loop" or some such! I lost a few machines too! Bloody annoying! I know exactly what you mean! Once you lose the machines, there is no motivation to replicate it again! Good to know you're doing something else to keep the creativity going.

P.S: Haven't forgotten that I need recreate some of your engineer's toolbox setup at my end. ;)

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019

Thats sucks :( had that happening too before :/

For the turbine, be sure it's a 5 long turbine, or else you get only a small part of the torque. It shod give you 900-940 Mw for a fully powere turbine

Btw, an 8core might be able to do 3 turbines, I would recommand to try it out

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
After a lot of consideration, several annoying ID conflicts, and the removal of mystcraft, I have added in Resonant Induction! I will be getting into it's nuclear reactors very soon(It was merged with Atomic Science).

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, short update, but a big one will be coming soon.

ZmonfxJ.png
9lFr5om.png
This one needs a little explanation. There are actually control rods that came with the mod that "supposedly" stops the reactor from doing anything. But every attempt at using one resulted in an explosion, so they do next to nothing. So instead, I came up with this contraption. When the reactor goes over the temperature threshold, a itemduct(It is a non upgraded one on purpose, to give the reactor time to cool down), it will pull out the fuel rod and insert it into the hopper, which puts it back in. This allows enough time for it to cool down almost completely, and is almost as simple as using the control rod should have been.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I highly advise against trying this at home. I have crashed 5 times in the process of testing, getting everything from a render crash to a concurrent modification exception. This is NOT a stable mod.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of bad news. I played so much I, well, burned out. Was good while it lasted, but my being a power player means worlds don't last very long for me. Besides, there's other people here doing a much better job then I am. Back to lurking the forums I suppose. :(

Reactions: pc_assassin

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of bad news. I played so much I, well, burned out. Was good while it lasted, but my being a power player means worlds don't last very long for me. Besides, there's other people here doing a much better job then I am. Back to lurking the forums I suppose. :(

Sad face :(

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2