Learn Gregtech Hardcore Questing Mode Pack

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
I can't complete the BatBox quest after crafting the item. Tried in 1.0.0, then upgraded to 1.0.1 and it's still broken.

In other news... I struggled over whether or not to craft the bronze armor and composite vest, but I decided to do that as well as build a mob spawner with a side order of enchanting table. Fully decked out in bronze/composite lvl30 enchanted armor feels nice, and it gave me something to do while waiting for my steel to cook. I've been using the AE grinder on my ores too, so I'm not doing too bad material-wise. It won't work on everything though, so I'm itching to get further into Early Electrical. There's also a certain GT machine I've never used before that I'm hoping will help with early power generation but it requires materials I can't make yet.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Found another issue... the recipe for the electric jetpack is borked. The center spot is set to ic2.null and should be a BatBox. Maybe this is related to the BatBox quest issue?

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Been quiet for a couple days here... everyone must be trying to gather all the resources for bronze age and early electric...

Another quest turn-in failure... Poor Man's MFE quest is partially broken, it only recognizes the LV Transformers...

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Been quiet for a couple days here... everyone must be trying to gather all the resources for bronze age and early electric...

Another quest turn-in failure... Poor Man's MFE quest is partially broken, it only recognizes the LV Transformers...

^^ That's putting it too mildly....

Ahhh... The grind!!! I am still mucking around for ores.... I am sinking in limestone, swimming in basalt and fed up of conglomerate rubble! One stinking sphaelerite! Not even villages nearby. This world spawn stinks! Perhaps I ought to atone for my sins by restarting another world with some seed: I am thinking, "greggy greg is the greatest of the greatest and I could kiss him" should do nicely!

[goes away mumbling before he throws something heavy at someone]

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
^^ That's putting it too mildly....

Ahhh... The grind!!! I am still mucking around for ores.... I am sinking in limestone, swimming in basalt and fed up of conglomerate rubble! One stinking sphaelerite! Not even villages nearby. This world spawn stinks! Perhaps I ought to atone for my sins by restarting another world with some seed: I am thinking, "greggy greg is the greatest of the greatest and I could kiss him" should do nicely!

[goes away mumbling before he throws something heavy at someone]
I chose to explore after getting a fairly mediocre spawn and got *really* lucky in where I chose to set up shop. I've found at least 3 different mineshafts, a village, several ravines, and in all that there were enough chests with steel ingots and steel tools/armor that I was able to speed through some of the initial grind. I also built a mobspawner and got enchanted pickaxes to boost coal -> coal coke -> steel quite a bit. Totally agree with the swimming in 10 different rock types though. I'm constantly tossing them out as I mine new stuff. The addition of a jetpack has sped up the process quite a bit, and I can't wait for electric tools but that's still quite far off.

Reactions: AlCapella

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I got through the Early Electric Age and was putting together the materials to make Stainless Steel, but the lack of a good power system was killing me. Generators go through charcoal like cotton candy. I spent much of my gaming time just chopping down and re-planting trees. Yeah, I get that GT is supposed to be grindy, and I was prepared for some of that, but couldn't see myself making that much charcoal before going nuclear. Perhaps if I had other projects going on, it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe some other mods to play with ?

Hmmm....which recent FTB mod-pack is based around GT, but has other mods to play with...I wonder...

Infi-Tech !

I've been playing with that the last couple of days. Without learning how to start GT first, I probably would have had no clue what to do. But, thanks to @CarbonBasedGhost and all the help from @Pyure and @AlCapella on Learn GT, I got off to a pretty good start and am about at the same point as I was with Learn GT : getting ready to make Stainless Steel. However, I have a couple of other, small power systems and some side projects like bees and trees just underway.

Great mod-pack, Learn GT is. Highly recommended for anyone looking to get into GT :)

Reactions: Pyure and AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I got through the Early Electric Age and was putting together the materials to make Stainless Steel, but the lack of a good power system was killing me. Generators go through charcoal like cotton candy. I spent much of my gaming time just chopping down and re-planting trees. Yeah, I get that GT is supposed to be grindy, and I was prepared for some of that, but couldn't see myself making that much charcoal before going nuclear. Perhaps if I had other projects going on, it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe some other mods to play with ?

Have they nerfed the use of railcraft coke oven for coal coke and then using both the creosote oil (semifluid generator?) and the coal coke for the other generators? Shouldn't that make life a little easy for you?
EDIT: Genuinely curious if so, considering I am still trading stone and flint pickaxes for rubble in my present world [sigh]

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Have they nerfed the use of railcraft coke oven for coal coke and then using both the creosote oil (semifluid generator?) and the coal coke for the other generators? Shouldn't that make life a little easy for you?
EDIT: Genuinely curious if so, considering I am still trading stone and flint pickaxes for rubble in my present world [sigh]

Very good point, and my fault for missing it. For some reason, I was thinking wood to charcoal + creosote was a PfF recipe and not base RC. However, it's only slightly better than making just charcoal. Still lots and lots of manual wood-chopping.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Very good point, and my fault for missing it. For some reason, I was thinking wood to charcoal + creosote was a PfF recipe and not base RC. However, it's only slightly better than making just charcoal. Still lots and lots of manual wood-chopping.

Very good! Only when people start playing the pack do we begin to realise the gaps in intended gameplay. So, @CarbonBasedGhost, may I humbly suggest adding steve's carts to this eclectic mix? The recipes for making items are the kind greg himself would approve. There is a built in durability for all the items and for the galgadorian items (unbreakable), you need to be sweating blood and s%$$%^g diamonds with blaze rods and ender men before you even dream of it.

Brilliant, just brilliant.... Remove the hqm element, and this pack has all the makings of a minimalist mod pack to play with like-minded masochists friends on a lean server.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Very good! Only when people start playing the pack do we begin to realise the gaps in intended gameplay. So, @CarbonBasedGhost, may I humbly suggest adding steve's carts to this eclectic mix? The recipes for making items are the kind greg himself would approve. There is a built in durability for all the items and for the galgadorian items (unbreakable), you need to be sweating blood and s%$$%^g diamonds with blaze rods and ender men before you even dream of it.

Brilliant, just brilliant.... Remove the hqm element, and this pack has all the makings of a minimalist mod pack to play with like-minded masochists friends on a lean server.

Indeed, even the Steve's Carts Tier 1 cart requires 1 or 2 diamonds for maintenance. However, I find exploring mines/caves with monsters, lava, ores, etc.,. and finding the occasional diamond to be far more interesting than manually tending a tree farm for the Nth time.

Reactions: bestdoc

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
So, for all of you who are enjoying my pack and liking the feel of Gregtech, how would you feel about a pack completely based around Gregtech. It will be like Monster but all the mods are formatted to fit around Gregtech.

That would very cool, yes.

Some mods, like MFR and TE3, would have to have serious config and MineTweaker work to bring into balance with GT. Also, will GT and TiCo play nicely together these days ? TiCo, even with IguanaTweaks, will also need the config file and MineTweaker nerf-bat.

As for RotaryCraft (RoC), I have no idea how you'd bring that into balance and keep the look and feel of the mod. 5x ore processing in a single machine is not very....GT-like. The bedrock tools are also....yeah....not very GT-like. Dont' get my wrong, I love RotaryCraft. Brilliant mod. I am also learning to like GT. I just don't think RoC and GT share the same philosophy.

For now, I'm having fun with a slightly modified version of Infi-Tech. I added Binnie's ExtraBees/Trees and MagicBees 'cause I love my bees.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
That would very cool, yes.

Some mods, like MFR and TE3, would have to have serious config and MineTweaker work to bring into balance with GT. Also, will GT and TiCo play nicely together these days ? TiCo, even with IguanaTweaks, will also need the config file and MineTweaker nerf-bat.

As for RotaryCraft (RoC), I have no idea how you'd bring that into balance and keep the look and feel of the mod. 5x ore processing in a single machine is not very....GT-like. The bedrock tools are also....yeah....not very GT-like. Dont' get my wrong, I love RotaryCraft. Brilliant mod. I am also learning to like GT. I just don't think RoC and GT share the same philosophy.

For now, I'm having fun with a slightly modified version of Infi-Tech. I added Binnie's ExtraBees/Trees and MagicBees 'cause I love my bees.
On the GT/RoC side of thing RoC will have the work table recipes turned off so I can modify them and I will take away all recipes. Then I will put each machine in a point of progression I feel fits.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, charcoal wasn't too bad during bronze age steam power, but early electric depleted my stock very quickly. Once I got my thermal generator in place things got better as I had a really good nether spawn near a huge lava ocean, and manually gathering lava is not nearly as grindy. I'm trying to remember if there's a way to get the lava from the cells to a railcraft tank without killing the cells. We won't talk about how I was reminded of that little problem... but yeah given that we have railcraft installed and the maintenance cost of the wood cutter, plus the whole old-school look of a steve's carts treefarm, that might just work.

I've also been wanting to try the various GT crop machines too since they claim to chop logs. I'd imagine it's still a manual process to plant the sapplings, but at least then I could have my oak treefarm without having to manually chop the occasional giant tree.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
So, for all of you who are enjoying my pack and liking the feel of Gregtech, how would you feel about a pack completely based around Gregtech. It will be like Monster but all the mods are formatted to fit around Gregtech.

Great minds think alike! Having this exact discussion on our server with another friend about how capable GT is to the point where you could turn off every other mod, and still get stuff done... Then we got tickled enough with the idea to take the discussion offline, and we are now mulling over exactly the same that you just said... And unsurprisingly, the number of mods that made the initial "GT whetting" to arrive on the discussion table, were really small to begin with. He he...

Cool! I too would be interested in seeing how you would approach something like this. So far I've seen that UB, EXBL and Highlands play very well with GT. I hope EXBL makes it to 1.7 soon, as I like the worldgen enough to take long walks in it. :)

rxiv

Jul 29, 2019

That'd be fun - I am playing Beyond Reality on ATL and even though it's centered around GT 1.7, a lot of the recipes for other mods haven't been GT'ified like on Infinity (InfiTech or whatever it's called now - the 1.6 GT pack I play mostly). Either way, I think more GT packs would be nice in general.

I'd like to see LearnGT updated to 1.7 - seems like a lot has changed in GT with the move to 1.7. I know some people hate the new ore distribution (and added ores), but being a big fan of TFC, I think it's similar to that and I really like it.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
That'd be fun - I am playing Beyond Reality on ATL and even though it's centered around GT 1.7, a lot of the recipes for other mods haven't been GT'ified like on Infinity (InfiTech or whatever it's called now - the 1.6 GT pack I play mostly). Either way, I think more GT packs would be nice in general.

I'd like to see LearnGT updated to 1.7 - seems like a lot has changed in GT with the move to 1.7. I know some people hate the new ore distribution (and added ores), but being a big fan of TFC, I think it's similar to that and I really like it.

Kudos to them Infitech pack team guys and their dedication to the GT spirit. Every frikkin recipe is like "frikkin sharks with frikkin lasers on their heads" :D