Launch the game without Twitch?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I made my own profile with mods from the Curse website. From what I understand, when I want to play I have to launch "Twitch" go to Minecraft, select my profile which opens a special instance of the Minecraft launcher, then I click play.

Isn't there a shorter way to directly launch the game?

S

Spajky32

I made my own profile with mods from the Curse website. From what I understand, when I want to play I have to launch "Twitch" go to Minecraft, select my profile which opens a special instance of the Minecraft launcher, then I click play.

In top right corner click on [...] button, then open folder and copy your mods from the mods folder into .mimecraft\mods, install forge version which you chose in the twitch launcher, install it, and then go to your MC launger, create new profile and choose your version of forge (it is on the very bottom) and save your profile. You now have everything done, then just select your profile and play!

I know, that it takes long, but it's worth it. It may even run faster in comparison to the twitch launcher.

Reactions: Dreossk
S

Spajky32

I am happy, that I could help you

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

That would probably defeat the entire purpose of Minecraft being on Twitch/Curse in the first place, which is so they have a captive audience to work with (i.e. try to profit off of).

For what it's worth, I totally agree with your question. I don't like how we have to run Curse, then run Minecraft, then close Curse each time. This makes Curse the quintessential "middleman", and I do everything I can do in my life to eliminate middlemen because they are essentially just leeches, sucking off the teat of somebody else's success (in this particular case, Mojang's success).

Don't even get me started on Mojang selling their product to the worst possible corporate entity possible, Microsoft. Just don't even go there. LOL

Reactions: Duror

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well, right now you are missing the automatic updates to the modpacks.

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

Nothing good every comes easy. Do the updates the old fashioned way, do them by hand. To eliminate the corporate leeches of our sorry world, we must make some sacrifice... but nobody is ever willing to do so...

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That would probably defeat the entire purpose of Minecraft being on Twitch/Curse in the first place, which is so they have a captive audience to work with (i.e. try to profit off of).

For what it's worth, I totally agree with your question. I don't like how we have to run Curse, then run Minecraft, then close Curse each time. This makes Curse the quintessential "middleman", and I do everything I can do in my life to eliminate middlemen because they are essentially just leeches, sucking off the teat of somebody else's success (in this particular case, Mojang's success).

Don't even get me started on Mojang selling their product to the worst possible corporate entity possible, Microsoft. Just don't even go there. LOL

Your corporate hate is misplaced. Apple is the Big Red Threat :D

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Your corporate hate is misplaced. Apple is the Big Red Threat :D
There is now a storefront of sold user content on the Win10 version which disagrees with you...

As far as launcher, I tend to use MultiMC. Because Twitch/Curse is (still) the only launcher that is windows only, and I run linux.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
There is now a storefront of sold user content on the Win10 version which disagrees with you...

As far as launcher, I tend to use MultiMC. Because Twitch/Curse is (still) the only launcher that is windows only, and I run linux.
I'm on Windows and a proud user and promoter of MultiMC. :D

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I use MultiMC for some things and Curse/Twitch for others. Depends on what I'm doing.

For official FTB and third party packs, its usually just simpler to go through Twitch and I have no major problems with it.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I personally dislike the change from the Curse launcher to the Twitch launcher, but that is based on my own personal bias, I find streaming video games completely silly.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Personally, I was shocked. I would've put money that M$ would've purchased Curse as a platform for micro-transactions and co-opting 'derivative intellectual property' (i.e. mods) to sell in their shop. Imagine my surprise when Twitch beat them to it. Which is then owned by... Amazon.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Vanilla launcher works perfectly fine for the mods and I don't want updates. Thanks!
It's fine if you have the old launcher. The new launcher isn't very good, even for vanilla. You won't be able to connect to old servers with it.

Reactions: Reddis

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with the new vanilla launcher with a modded 1.11 server so it must be why it works fine.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It's fine if you have the old launcher. The new launcher isn't very good, even for vanilla. You won't be able to connect to old servers with it.
+1 to Quetzi - this is how I've been doing it for about two years. The old vanilla launcher, and manually put-together modpacks, have extended my ability to play Minecraft long past when I really should have been able to with my potato laptop.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the FTB team would eventually remove the legacy launcher entirely. Is that still true?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I could have sworn I read somewhere that the FTB team would eventually remove the legacy launcher entirely. Is that still true?

The people immediately above your post aren't discussing the FTB launcher... They're talking about the Vanilla launcher that comes with Minecraft as shipped by Mojang... There's an old version and a brand new version. You can, as discussed above, actually run modded Minecraft using these very basic launchers, but it's a lot more work for the users.

Twitch, Curse and FtB are completely separate from the Vanilla Launchers, being primarily mod/pack libraries, although with Mojang's EULA clarification a couple of years ago, Curse/Twitch are fully compliant while FtB may not be (I started using Curse in beta and can't remember if FtB was able to update).

Reactions: Reddis