JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Are the settings in the OP optimal for single player offline use? (related: is that SSP?) I thought maybe I'm applying these settings incorrectly and it might be adding to my troubles with my game.

I am overwhelmed with "Memory overburdened" errors in the console with Permgen set to 256 instead of 512 in either FTB or MultiMC5 launcher.

I am also seeing lots of " Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?" messages and a weird skipping lagginess. Punching a tree will get the wood, then pop back into place and need punched again, animals will freeze then jump 10 blocks when I try to punch them. It can be as frequent as every two minutes.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
12GB RAM
Win 7 64-bit
Java 7u45
MultiMC5 (preferred, FTB launcher sames issues)
Horizons 1.0.10

Thanks!

Hrm. You should be getting a lot less of that with the arguments than without. Try upgrading your java to u51.

Reactions: Croaganey

Croaganey

Mar 8, 2013
Hrm. You should be getting a lot less of that with the arguments than without. Try upgrading your java to u51.
That seems to have helped to lessen the messages in quick testing so far. Thank you! I'm still seeing a couple "Memory overburdened" messages, but I was able to punch several trees, cows and pigs without "Can't keep up" errors. ;)

Extra info: u51 didn't help MultiMC v0.1.1 until I updated to v0.2

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Eyamaz, I was wondering if Croaganey might be better off running a server on the same machine he is using for his SSP? His specs he listed was for a 2GHz CPU. If he was to do that would it allow his client and server to run in separate cores on the same machine?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Its always worth a shot. Propperly done, he -should- get a increase seperating them. If it's configured correctly. I've never done it at less than 3GHz though, so I can't he sure.

Croaganey

Mar 8, 2013
Its always worth a shot. Propperly done, he -should- get a increase seperating them. If it's configured correctly. I've never done it at less than 3GHz though, so I can't he sure.
Oof. That'd be a steep learning curve. And to add to it, I'm seeing this on my system as well as DH's Win8 system. We're both on laptops, been playing various FTB packs for a year, play offline due to limited Internet access, don't even try a LAN multiplayer together in our RV, fun as that might be.

It sounds like you don't believe the JVM arguments are my issue, if I understand correctly?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Oh god laptop. Should have known from the M on the Gfx card :p
No, I don't believe they are the issue at all. You have a mediocre cpu by today's standards, and on a laptop to boot.
You may want to try disabling any and all background applications you can first. The arguments will help you, but that core speed is going to kill you with the bigger 1.6 packs :(

Croaganey

Mar 8, 2013
Oh god <snip> :(
Ouch. Sad news. Thanks for the help. At least I've ruled out JVM arguments and confirmed I'm using them correctly.

In further testing tonight I think I have a mod interaction problem, so I'll move along out of this thread and keep working on it. Disabling ATG tonight helped on my system - 20 min play so far with no errors. Will test his tomorrow and carry on.

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
Eyamaz said:

Eyamaz, I noticed your server arguments do not have ParallelGCThreads=x. Is this of no real benefit? I am looking at setting up a FTB Monster server on a dedicated PC running Ubuntu. I read (possibly incorrectly) that using JDK and adding ParallelGCThreads to the startup will allow Java to use all cores to optimise itself. Is this corrector should I leave that out and stick with your code as is? Thanks.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Eyamaz, I noticed your server arguments do not have ParallelGCThreads=x. Is this of no real benefit? I am looking at setting up a FTB Monster server on a dedicated PC running Ubuntu. I read (possibly incorrectly) that using JDK and adding ParallelGCThreads to the startup will allow Java to use all cores to optimise itself. Is this corrector should I leave that out and stick with your code as is? Thanks.

Java automatically sets this equal to the number of cores your computer has. It also only affects the garbage collector, not the program itself.

jeezor

Jul 29, 2019
This is as far as the console gets before freezing up when I launch it
Logging in...
Login complete.
Syncing Assets:
The FTB Launcher has found the following Java versions installed:
Java Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
Setting MinMemory to 256
Setting MaxMemory to 2048
Defaulting PermSize to 256m
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Incompatible minimum and maximum heap sizes specified
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M

EDIT: I removed the first option and for some reason it worked.
EDIT2: ...untill I tried to start a world

Last edited:

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
This is as far as the console gets before freezing up when I launch it
Logging in...
Login complete.
Syncing Assets:
Java Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
Setting MinMemory to 256
Setting MaxMemory to 2048
Defaulting PermSize to 256m
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Incompatible minimum and maximum heap sizes specified
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M

go into your windows environment variables and also check your java control panal and remove the -Xmx512M argument that is set there.

jeezor

Jul 29, 2019
I did that and now im getting
Code:
Invalid initial heap size: -Xms2048m-XX:PermSize=256m

The problem being java cant create a virtual machine

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
needs to be a space you have
-Xms2048m-XX:PermSize=256m
and need
-Xms2048m -XX:PermSize=256m

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Eyamaz. I'm running 4 GB from the launcher due to "HD" textures (Faithful 32x). Which of these arguments will I need to change to compensate? Would it just be -Xms4096m?

flamedance58

Jul 29, 2019
Running a FTB pack that's been edited (Private Pack) that's got about 101 Mods in it, most from FTB with a few extras.

I'm running Java 7 U45 32 & 64-Bit.
All the setting you suggested for 2gigs+

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4024MB RAM
Page File: 2948MB used, 5095MB available

I run at 5-10 fps :(

Suggestions on what I can to fix this? Oddly enough I only had this issue today, before I would be at 30fps.

[Edit] Remembered how to use dxdiag!

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Eyamaz. I'm running 4 GB from the launcher due to "HD" textures (Faithful 32x). Which of these arguments will I need to change to compensate? Would it just be -Xms4096m?

I always recommend setting Xms and Xmx equal. So set -Xms4G -Xmx4G

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Running a FTB pack that's been edited (Private Pack) that's got about 101 Mods in it, most from FTB with a few extras.

I'm running Java 7 U45 32 & 64-Bit.
All the setting you suggested for 2gigs+
I have 3gigs or so.

I run at 5-10 fps :(

Suggestions on what I can to fix this? Oddly enough I only had this issue today, before I would be at 30fps. I should probably post my specs but I forgot where you get those from now lol.

3GB total? You can try setting Xms and Xmx both to 1024m, or 1536m.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that Xmx isn't in the FTB Launcher arguments. Is there a reason for that? And just to confirm, it would be "-Xms4G", not "-Xms4096m"?

For the FTB launcher you set the slider to 4G. For Xms, both those values are exactly the same, it doesn't matter which you use.